VEVO5 catch-all thread on how to improve MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by vevo5, Mar 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    They wanted 5 teams in each division. Not 5 teams in 4 divisions, 6 in 1, and 4 in the other.

2. youngorst

youngorst Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    But that in and of itself did not have to happen.

The AL was 14 teams while the NL was 12 from 1977-1993 without issue. The easier (and IMO better solution) was to go back to 2 divisions per league instead of 3 (which was a silly change to begin with). Small divisions make sense in the NFL with only 16 games but in a league with 162 games you don't need divisions at all but if you must have them they should be larger than 5 teams. Smaller divisions is just as gimmicky as interleague play in my view.

Besides interleague play was introduced long before the Astros changed leagues so it was not done for that reason.

3. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Isn't the argument smaller divisions are necessary due to travel. In a sport like baseball, travel likely needs to be restricted more as you play 6 days a week.

Also, 2 divisions per league would still be unfair to the 7 team divisions.

4. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    If it was about travel then wouldn't the Mets and Yankees be in the same division? And for a long time Cincinatti was the NL West while Chicago and St Louis (I think) were in the east. It may be partly about travel, but it is also largely about culture, history, and marketing.

5. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I get what you're saying. I was responding to the idea that they should revert to 2 divisions. As you can tell from my posts, I think baseball divisions make about as much sense as people enjoying baseball.

That being said, any discussion about baseball schedules and fairness must assume that the arbitrariness of the league system is a given.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. youngorst

youngorst Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    MLB has played balanced schedules before so not sure they give a damn about the travel concern....They went to small devisions and less balance because they believed fans wanted to see rivalries and believed fans wanted more playoff teams. Basically they were trying to copy the NFL...No other reason.

As for the divisions and fairness, from 1977-1993 the AL had 2 seven team divisions while the NL had 2 six team divisions, things seemed okay.

7. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Did it seem okay? We can intuitively see why it wasn't. Logically speaking it wasn't fair. I don't think that was disputed.
    Just cuz it was accepted at that time doesn't mean it was right

Did eople care? I believe MLB actually did say they wanted balanced divisions (their wording) when made this change. So MLB seems to have been under that impression that the balance was important as well. I googled a bunch of articles referencing the balance issue as well.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...agues-are-balanced-whats-next-to-fix-baseball

Not sure how you concluded that no one cared or that it didn't matter, unless you're basing it on your own opinion?

8. youngorst

youngorst Member

Jun 26, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    When they made the current change it was about balanced divisions, no one is disputing this. We aren't talking about the change where they moved the Astros to the AL. We are talking about the change that led to the alignment prior to the current alignment.

No one cared and it didn't matter prior to 1998. Yes, once you had one division with 4 teams and another with 6 it became a problem but when the alignment only led to divisions off by 1 team it was never an issue.

From 1976-1993 no one cared that 2 divisions were 7 teams and 2 were 6 teams
    From 1994-1997 no one cared that 4 divisions were 5 teams and 2 were 4 teams
    Just to add to that, no one cared when the NFL had 4 divisions with 5 teams and 2 with 4 teams from 1976-1994
    The NBA and NHL have also both had different sized divisions at multiple times in their history (the NHL currently does) without anyone caring.

Yes, when the balance is as out of whack as it became in baseball it became stupid, unfair, and people cared. Had baseball simply had 2 seven team divisions and 2 eight team divisions no one would have cared and it would have never changed. And you wouldn't need the gimmick of interleague play which for many baseball fans would be a happy trade off.

The reality is that for leagues that want to grow (and all of them do at some point) its impossible to keep a perfect balance, is it slightly unfair at times? Maybe but as long as its minimal (divisions off by 1 team) its hardly a big deal to fans, players, or teams.

9. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Your points on baseball are probably correct from baseball fans' perspective and I'm willing to take them @ face value, if we don't try and use the context of baseball fans to justify introducing perversion to MLS.

If you're referencing the NBA, many people are currently espousing the elimination of conferences due to the competitive inbalance between the conferences. This is despite the fact that the NBA is probably the most fair from a schedule perspective within the conference. I actually think it makes sense for that league based on number of games played.

NHL is run by Gary Bettman who has an obsession with making the league more American, which explains why he wanted to introduce perversions.

You're right that bigger divisions result in a less perverse outcome than smaller divisions if there's an inbalance. Doesn't mean that an inbalance is a good thing. It comes with trade offs. TBH, as someone who doesn't give a real ******** about baseball, I find the concept of leagues gimmicky and interleague play to be normal. But that's because I prefer logic over tradition.

What annoys me is where these weird baseball anachronisms are used to justify MLS introducing inbalances that don't really need to be there justifying it as being 'Merican. MLS has no tradition like that, so it should at least aim to have a logical and fair schedule.

Agreed with this sentiment to the extent that you can't have perfectly balanced schedules and we must acknowledge it. However, you can design balanced schedules that are relatively fair (ie divisions that are the same size and have relatively the same schedules). If were not doing that, we're just falling into the same traps that have perverted the baseball and NFL league structures.

Despite my rants against baseball above, Go Jays Go!

10. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #485 vevo5, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    Just for fun, here's a quick calculation of what the salary cap would look like with the new FORBES #:

2012 revenue figures and salary cap under 33.3%

Seattle Sounders 48.0 mil revenue = $16 mil salary cap
    LA Galaxy 44.0 mil revenue = $14.5 mil salary cap
    Portland Timbers 39.1 mil revenue = $13 mil salary cap
    Houston Dynamo 32.6 mil revenue = $10.8 mil salary cap
    Toronto FC 30.9 mil revenue = $10.3 mil salary cap
    New York Red Bulls $28.1 mil = $9.37 mil salary cap
    Sporting Kansas City $27.7 mil = $9.23 mil salary cap

2014 revenue figures and salary cap under 33.3%

Seattle — $50 million revenue = $16.65 mil salary cap
    Los Angeles— $44 million revenue = $14.5 mil salary cap
    Portland - $35 mil revenue = $11.66 mil salary cap
    Toronto $32 mil revenue = $10.66 mil salary cap
    Kansas City $29 mil revenue = $9.66 mil salary cap
    Houston $26 mil revenue = $8.66 mil salary cap

Atlanta and the 2nd LA team could be huge revenue monsters when they come into the league.

The best part is allowing teams with the best potential to grow even bigger surpassing the top Mexican teams with ease. A rising tide lift all boats.

This is counter to MLS policy however so it won't likely happen. It doesn't matter to MLS that under this system, MLS top clubs will be better than Mexican top clubs in a very short amount of time.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Franchises aren't boats.

KCbus repped this.
  12. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, buddy.

13. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, and here I thought this was dead and buried .... PHEW

jayd8888 and billf repped this.
  14. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #489 KCbus, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Something you neglect: Toronto? You know, one of your pet clubs "with the most potential?" They lost $7M in that year. The Red Bulls? $9M loss.

Believe it or not, there isn't a bottomless pit of money for these teams to play with.

You love to point out the numbers for the high earning teams, but you never seem interested in posting the numbers for the bottom teams. So I'll do it for you.

Montreal: $22M --->>> $7.33 M
    Vancouver: $21M --->>> $7M
    Columbus: $18M --->>> $6M
    Real Salt Lake: $17M --->>> $5.66M
    Colorado: $15M --->>> $5M

You're so hell-bent on being better than Mexico that you want to give Seattle a license to spend $16 million dollars a year, but you want to simultaneously restrict Colorado so that they can't spend more than $5 million even if they wanted to?

But let's suppose they DO decide to spend all their money to try to keep up -- they'll be so far at a disadvantage that even spending to capacity, they won't stand a chance. "A rising tide lifts all boats." Yeah, right. So does a tidal wave. A lot of those boats won't survive the "lift."

Tying the salary cap to revenue is ASANINE.