Very Ugly Soccer This Morning

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by OnO101, Sep 21, 2003.

1. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    I don't think you can call that UGLY SOCCER. Ugly soccer is used for boring soccer. You are using that word in reference to the incidents at the end of the game. I would call it ANTI-SOCCER.

maybe you should watch the mfl on galavision/univision/telefutura (41 goals on the weekend games)

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Football, unlike the NHL, doesn't allow for retaliation. It's a different sport, thus the "revenge factor" doesn't even come into play. If the ManU players had even tried it, they'd all be in the same deep water as the Arse players, possibly more so.

3. DCAustinite

DCAustinite New Member

Jan 14, 2003
    NE DC in my heart -
    Club:
    DC United
    sigh...

Dude, you are retarded. The old excuse of the german officer class has no business in a discussion about football, especially one about a frenchman with a temper and a dutchman with a flop habit. Neither one of them would appreciate that very much I think.

To Mattclarke: as fun as it is to see Ruud get scared shitless, it's still embarassing because he's Dutch, and as such would never throw a punch, so it's a bit like bullying a slow kid or a Canadian. Embarassing for Arsenal. Now if it had been Roy Keane, I'd have forked out all the money I had to see that. Keown v. Keano. (Keown in the 11th round. He's scrappier).

4. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Henry Winter got it today:

We all know Arsenal lost it and will pay in some form or another; but Ruud made a meal of it, and considering the heat of the moment, should not have expected to walk off the pitch with a kind word and offers to swap shirts. He had it coming one way or another.

BTW, as Winter noted, Vieira's first yellow...don't if he got right.

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll see your Henry Winter and raise you Alan Smith, Andy Gray, the BBC, Sky, News Of the World, The Sun, the Mirror, and Soccernet:

"Arsenal were a disgrace."

6. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    yes, we own them all.

7. Mac_Howard

Mac_Howard New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Mandurah, Perth, WA
    >I thought Henry Winter got it today:

Winter's description of the Vieira/RvN clash is completely wrong. I have a tape of the match and I've watched that a dozen times or more, real time, slow motion, individual scans.

Viera makes a back for RvN! He doesn't rise for the ball at all, when he sees RvN's challenge he steps forward, turns through 180 degrees and bends forward. RvN lands on Vieira's back. Vieira is sent spawling and RvN lands on his feet.

To say that RvN over-reacted is ludicrious. He doesn't dive, he doesn't pretend to be injured, he doesn't pretend that there was contact a la Simeone when Beckham kicked out (must less viciously). He jumps back - as you would with a bootfull of studs thrust at your groin - he looks in disbelief at Vieira, thrusts his arms out wide and gestures to the ref "what's this all about". But the ref has already seen enough and is racing across the turf to give Vieira his second yellow.

What I also found significant is that no Arsenal player had the sense to calm Vieira down when he looked like making life much more difficult for himself. It was Roy Keane who talked sense into him and Gary Neville that walked with him of the pitch.

Wenger has some real problem players there but he needs to sort out his own paranoid denial before he can do anything for them.

8. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Very Ugly Soccer This Morning

What exactly does the title 'moderator' mean.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Very Ugly Soccer This Morning

Just that you moderate your own club's forum, not being an expert on all things footy.

10. Lanesra

Lanesra BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 13, 2003
    LONDON
    It wouldn't have mattered if Lehmann was on the half way line , it wasn't saved , he missed it the cheating twat!!

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Very Ugly Soccer This Morning

That's most certainly the case in some instances ...

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This may be totally off base but I'm beginning to get the impressions you don't like him, Matt.

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Where can I get a mp3 file of that bit of music from the twilight zone?

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I think he's one of the most phenomenal footballers ever to have graced these shores. In terms of the players I have seen in person over the years, he ranks in the Top 15 in terms of how obviously he has impressed all those watching with his performance of the striker's art.

That, sadly, does not alter the fact that he is a snidey little cunt. He doesn't need to be, he chooses to be. Like I say ... a real shame.

15. Only1Keano

Only1Keano New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    owen missed it against chelsea, it was still retaken you idiot.

secondly, if the ref seriously thought vieira had made contact it would have been a straight red, he gave a second yellow for the intent. ruud got exactly the same punishment as vieira in terms of each getting a yellow, the fact that vieira was already on a yellow is his own fault.

thirdly, matt clarke (good goalkeeper i'll admit that), you say i live my football through the internet yet somehow you seem to have made a detailed analysis of me through a few posts on an internet forum. thats hypocrisy of the highest order

16. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I must say that was my impression...
    On this occasion, that's true. RVN only does that on days of the week with an 'R' in them... Like Mondray, Tuesdray, Wednesdray, etc.

Still, watching RVN getting a good kicking... It's a right jolly wheeze, innit???

17. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Oh do be quiet. You're in over your head here.

What has one to do with the other? I make a judgement of you based on our only contact - on the Internet - and I'm right. You do live your football through the Internet, if you didn't you would not have put your name to half the cack you come out with around here. The two things are not connected and can therefore not be contradictory.

The fact that you seek to connect the two into some form of contradictory statement is further testament to your intellectual constipation, not any lack of coherence on my part.

Seriously ... run along now, Sparky Brainrush.

18. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well...perhaps for a Man. Utd. fan that explains it, but for a neutral...I find it naive and I feel very certain he knew the position of the referee and made a meal of the whole thing. And since you have the video tape, you'll see that Keown is right on top of the play-which may explain the anger later. http://www.geocities.com/castmind/keown.html
    He's just doing what any good manager does-protects his players. Look at the recent exchanges between Houllier and Souness-it's just par for the course. It goes on in every sport.

And for both you and Motterman, Winter's article was titled, "Humiliated Arsenal In The Dock," so take off the Red-tinted glasses. His point in the part I posted was that the match had reached the point of tinder box, and Van Nistelrooy's dubious reaction set it off. He did not in any way take Arsenal off the hook. But like others, he's not quite buying Ruud's act noting that it was, "Ruud van Nistelrooy, Manchester United's centre-forward whose thespian tendencies had contributed to Patrick Vieira's 81st-minute dismissal."

19. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    fact remains that it's clear that RVN didn't take a dive (ala Rivaldo in the WC). he may be guilty of theatrics in pointing out what Viera was doing but in no way did he feign injury. what viera did was stupid.
    it did breed some life into the game though :)

20. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    only1keano, there are a few things you should be aware of:
    matt clark is not to be argued with. bringing up reasonable counterarguments is not allowed. he is the BS decider on issues of class and his word is gospel (mostly).

21. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    And only after many fruitless attempts to prove otherwise will you finally realise the futility of doing so.

PS - point out one "reasonable counterargument" I have been asked to address in this thread.

22. Only1Keano

Only1Keano New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    yeah beginning to see that, i should stop arguing cos he's just making me look worse and worse...

maybe he's the one one true football supporter on the planet, and the rest of us are all imposters who aren't allowed to withhold opinions that differ to him. maybe this is matt clarke's world and we're all just creatures that inhabit?

23. Only1Keano

Only1Keano New Member

Aug 20, 2003
    how do we point out something that you don't accept exists?

24. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Ah. The eternal conundrum.

Prove it exists.

We are only working with this one thread. A finite quantity is usually the first component of a fully-rounded equation.

25. USsupport

USsupport New Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arlington, VA, USA
    now you got it.