Very telling things about the current state of college soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Teletubby

Teletubby Member

Dec 10, 2004
    do-college-sports-really-need-the-ncaa-1443187831
    Agreed, these convos have been talked about for some time now and the mention of the 7-8 sport NCAA model has been fairly common, so maybe we will end up with a tiered (glorified club type) model.
    I would also throw in consideration for a more self-sustaining business model for our sport. A model in which college programs can tie in local communities and building a youth club/camp/college hybrid model in which a lot of costs are offset. This isn't far fetched, since a ton of college coaches are already involved in this and could be fleshed out fairly quickly. One could conceive then of a 10 month model etc since it would be the soccer guys setting the framework.
    What is clearer and clearer is that with NIL, TV money etc. this is driven almost entirely by $$, and even clearer is the P5 conferences are not willing to share. They continue to completely set their own agenda. Think of their veto power and just look at what the B10 has done for Ohio State FB this week. They are in charge.
    To their credit the concept of conferences has morphed into a brilliant self sustaining lockout by the few at the expense of the most. Sound familiar? The 1% and the 99%....For sure now is the time for a re-write, but not sure we have the consensus nor the political leverage to be a force at the AD level or NCAA level to make it happen.

TimB4Last repped this.
  2. VASoccer75

VASoccer75 Member

Oct 28, 2015
  3. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I know of fall-spring cancellations:
    DI - 2 (Ivy, Big West)
    DII - 2 (CCAA, PSAC)
    DIII - 1 (Midwest - I think?)

I'm sure there are more, but those are ones that have happened recently or a bit ago (Ivy). Who will be next, and when? Unfortunately for these student-athletes...

4. The Big Dig

The Big Dig Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 25, 2020

DII- Sunshine State Conference as well

https://sunshinestateconference.com...-update-regarding-fall-and-winter-sports.aspx

ThePonchat repped this.
  5. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    It is unfortunate for the students, but it's probably the best decision for what we know now. Assuming that the vaccines are approved and are as efficacious as testing results are being promoted (95% for the mRNA), it's probably going to be May/June (at best) before these athletes are vaccinated. So canceling the spring season and planning a fall season may be prudent.

Just my opinion.

fknbuflobo and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    SC may cut Men’s Soccer. If a SEC school has to cut what kind of position are other athletic depts (mid-major) in?
    https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...h-carolina/usc-football/article247864800.html

TimB4Last repped this.
  7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, now you know what I was alluding to here.

CaptainD repped this.
  8. BigBear

BigBear Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mate, pretty weak to vaguely claim something big will happen, let someone else break the news, and then respond saying 'See guys, told ya so.'

fknbuflobo and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  9. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok. But, this was also news back in May.

Think whatever “mate.” As I stated, I will wait until there is more public about it — which is exactly what happened.

10. dogbone

dogbone Member

Sep 26, 2005
    It USC fits the profile. State School; Football; not in the traditional conference. It would be a shock to lose such a storied program. The end is this would not be the end of the contraction. I worry for the Sun Belt Schools. App State drops and now they are at 4.

New Mexico dropped because of gross financial malfeasance. But the other side is they have 1 game that they could drive to and no local rivals. The difference is USC could cut some costs and still make it savable, they have plenty of alumni who would help out. It is a waning shot across the bow.

Soccer will survive the contraction at the college level. On the dire side and a wild but guess is that would be 10 programs eliminated. The real problem is money and /or prestige. The money is the way the program operates, as laid out may posts prior, do we need that type of outlay for soccer? Is it we are a big school so we have to spend this type of money? Or can they tighten their preverbal belts.

I am no predictor of the future, but I am concerned that there will be more stories. Finally, if it comes to it, we all need to lobby, petition and donate to save these programs.

TimB4Last repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
  12. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a Georgetown fan, but this is super sad no matter what team you support.

Georgetown was returning practically their entire roster from last year's championship team. Georgetown's team this year probably would have been one of the all-time great NCAA teams, but now it sounds like they will struggle to put it together this Spring (assuming there is a Spring season).

TimB4Last repped this.
  13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    couldn't read the article, but I'll quibble a bit with "returning practically their entire roster".

They lost 2 MLS 1R starters (Nealis #3, Achara #25) and a few more solid contributors (Lochner (21 games/13 starts, Fischer 24 games/18 starts, Strassner 22 games/1 start). The Gtown bench was crucial for last year's success with very little drop off from the starters to bench is very hard to duplicate.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Brian. He's built a winner with players that buy-in to the team first concept - example 1 look at the GK platoon.

TimB4Last repped this.
  14. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add another one to the rumor mill, and it's already public knowledge, but UC Riverside is seriously considering cutting all athletics. Their AD is resigning too.

15. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Thx - If all athletics are being cut, I don't seriously know what the Athletic Director (AD) would do?

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    A consultant was probably paid 50K to provide that exact same advice.

BigRedFootie, JoeSoccerFan and aetraxx7 repped this.
  17. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dating back to early-September when it went public, UCR had $30+ million cut from state funding. Their athletic budget ranges from $12-14 million.

They transitioned from DII during 2000-01.

Seems like not trying to “keep up with the Joneses” would have saved athletics for the institution. I would venture to say that athletics runs a big deficit there (haven’t looked it up yet). No way they bring in more than that athletically, and they don’t even have football (since 1975).

The AD resigning almost signifies that athletics is being cut and she’s hopeful to land another job.

JoeSoccerFan and aetraxx7 repped this.
  18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    As a consultant *blush* too, I should have written a longer statement. Then, I could have invoiced it.

19. The Big Dig

The Big Dig Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 25, 2020
  20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
  21. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    The Big Dig repped this.
  22. The Big Dig

The Big Dig Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 25, 2020
    The Big East too. Looking forward to having some games to watch this Spring.

OverseasView and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. fanatica

fanatica New Member

LAFC
    United States
    Feb 6, 2020
    WCC teams posting schedules too. mostly conference only so far, except Portland has several non-conference games including the two local-ish PAC-12 teams OS and Washington.

24. winster

winster Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kennesaw is trying very hard to be an up-and-coming athletic department. They only added football 5-6 years ago. They will need at least another decade before they give up on being big-time.

JoeSoccerFan, aetraxx7 and TimB4Last repped this.