Very telling things about the current state of college soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Dec 13, 2019.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    "Go Spartans!" is a nice touch (in context). Thanks for sharing.

2. WolverineFutbol

Aug 1, 2012
    No, it’s never a nice touch, regardless of context. Go Blue!

JoeSoccerFan and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Well, we know where Manuel Alvaro's kid is not going!

JoeSoccerFan repped this.
  4. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    that's what I was thinking--actually Fusion played Charlotte last weekend, so both NC schools. I'm betting Rich was recruiting a Charlotte player and that PO'd the dad.

5. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    relax dad. He was probably coaching a team to make ends meet as he knows Uncg is making significant cuts. College coaches in the mid major leagues especially on the men’s side will be having a good think about a career coaching at the college level....more money in clubs or as an assist in a P5 program (prob kicking himself for leaving duke) massive cuts coming in spring 2021 in the mid-majors...

6. markb57

markb57 Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Indiana
    There is NO pickup game culture among the US born/parented. There is not even a notion of the thing. US soccer developed in completely the wrong way, and until we pass through a substantial period of pickup game culture, all this is just shouting in the wind. I'm not happy to make this observation, quite the opposite...

7. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Best thing would be to play futsal in ages 6-12 ...

aetraxx7 repped this.
  8. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This cannot be said enough.

But, to be fair to soccer, the notion of "pickup" or "street" has gone away in a lot of sports too. We had this discussion when I was working in college. The amount of "gym rats" is on drastic decline. Players just do not put in the time, in most sports, like they should and like they have done previously.

I know personally, when I grew up we were always doing something. I never played organized football, but I always played with my friends when that was what they did. We shot hoops much more regularly than what is seen nowadays. Sure, there are areas where this culture is present, but that's few and far between.

Until kids, players, parents, coaches, clubs, schools, etc. understand that the game is more than what happens within a structure training environment, we will continue to struggle in the game.

9. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova
    Street/pick-up games are long gone. This was due to parents thinking it’s not safe for kids to play by themselves in the street park and the start of organized youth sports. Now kids are “coached” where to pass the ball on beautiful manicured fields starting at age 4. Habits form. Are national team has NO street mentality. Most countries best players are street thugs. We face that and fold. Look at the mls now. What percentage of American born players are in the top 11?

aetraxx7, NewDadaCoach and TimB4Last repped this.
  10. VASoccer75

VASoccer75 Member

Oct 28, 2015

Most other countries kids use soccer/football to survive or build a better life for their family. There is motivation to be as good as possible.

Here in this country, if you can afford it, you can play. There is entitlement involved.

Also every country that dominates soccer/football has a push from the government as a national sport. Not so much here in this country

aetraxx7 and TimB4Last repped this.
  11. Sam Miami

Sam Miami Member

Bayern Munich
    Germany
    Sep 11, 2019
    Academy set up has helped USA youth start to produce more pro's

12. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Not really. Its demise was welcomed in most youth soccer quarters.

aetraxx7 and ThePonchat repped this.
  13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    From the NAIA, more definite plans ...

https://www.augustachronicle.com/news/20201008/college-soccer-championship-coming-to-columbia-county

"Columbia County (in Georgia) has been awarded rights to hold the 2020 National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics Men’s Soccer National Championships at Blanchard Woods Park on May 4-10, 2021."

"The championship, the NAIA’s 62nd annual for men’s soccer, will begin with the opening two rounds at 10 campus sites April 22 and 24 before moving to Columbia County for the final four rounds. Ten regional champions are expected to play in the single-elimination event.

Founded in 1940 as an athletic association for small colleges and universities, the NAIA is comprised of 251 member institutions and sponsors 26 national championships."

14. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good comment! I agree with your overall point, but I beg to differ on one aspect.

I encourage every player, regardless of age or skill level, to get out in the park and play, with cones as goals, or shirts, or whatever. Just play. If fifteen people are present, play 8 vs. 7. Who cares!!! Move the ball around. Attack space. There is such satisfaction in simply striking a ball. That is what it is all about. I grew up playing pick up soccer (though I am now sadly too old to play). Impromptu Futbol is one of the true pleasures in Life! Travel the Earth, and instant rapport can be achieved through the kicking of that ball. It would shock everyone here to learn what I would sacrifice just to be able to play in the park again. To do a thing is to love that thing.

Playing without formal jerseys and officials (even lines) is the organic bedrock of any sport. It is the reason that USA dominates Basketball. I fault the parents. Why does participation need to to be organized and quantified, with league fees, and away uniforms, and field rentals, and referee licenses, etc. All these things certainly have their place. But the fundamental components of American Soccer are in the essential enjoyment of the World's favorite activity.

15. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am hearing that the state of college soccer is dire. Outside of the few conferences that are playing (such as the ACC), some mid-major conference (america east, big east and patriot league) schools don't have any money and aren't training this fall at all. Some may not even play in the spring if finances remain how they are. some schools that have a core of foreign players don't have their players in the U.S. and don't think they will have them back for the spring which means they may not be able to field a competitive team. look for some sad, major disruptions this spring.

TimB4Last repped this.
  16. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I play a lot of pickup soccer. Even the adults I play with who have kids, they don't seem very interested at all in playing with their kids or in having our kids play together. WTH?! I seriously don't get it. I guess most parents, even if they play soccer themselves, just aren't that interested in fostering it in their kids. Maybe they are just burnt out or something idk.

Also - decades ago when I was growing up in central Ohio, we played soccer at recess in elementary school. We played at our apartment complex, in the grassy area. That was before the MLS existed.
    Now I lived in CA, in a well-to-do area, and my kid has literally no kids in the neighborhood who play soccer. I don't get it. Maybe I'm just in the wrong neighborhood. We have a USL team, soon-to-be MLS (expansion). Where is the interest/passion from kids and their parents?! I guess I expected it would be more ubiquitous, and not feel like an obscure sport like equestrian or fencing or something. lord help me

aetraxx7 and TimB4Last repped this.
  17. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Akron Zips are training daily. I just attended practice last Friday. The Team is intact. Unfortunately, the MAC has suspended play until Spring.

OverseasView and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  18. BigRedFootie

BigRedFootie Member+

Jan 31, 2003
    B-town
    What are the rules concerning practice right now?

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    I don't know, but it's a great time to work on proper spacing.

20. The Big Dig

The Big Dig Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Sep 25, 2020
    As far as NCAA rules go I'm pretty sure regular CARA rules apply but other than it seems like each school has their own set of guidelines they are following safety wise. A lot of programs are training though with a lot of inter-squad games from what I have seen.

TimB4Last repped this.
  21. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A question I have pondered... The rules are presumably the same, but I truly do not know. I am afraid to ask anyone to commit to an answer.

22. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know DII coaches only have 4 hours per week with their players -- that is, official training with a ball. Not sure if it is conference, state, or DII specific, but I also know that there is required small-group training, which means 8 or less.

TimB4Last repped this.
  23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be another big shake-up in the "current state of college soccer" soon-ish. Hate to leave this so ambiguous, but I don't want to be the one to break the news to the players left without a program.

aetraxx7 repped this.
  24. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Must!Know!Now!

ThePonchat and The Big Dig repped this.
  25. marley g

marley g New Member

Santos FC
    United States
    Oct 25, 2020