Very telling things about the current state of college soccer

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Dec 13, 2019.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe some will shift to starting to emphasize more domestic students?

There's probably a decent amount of schools talking about closing in 2020 or 2021. There will most definitely be major budget cuts to a lot of programs across the country too.

2. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Big state university is reporting almost $100M loss this year according to leadership.

3. dogbone

dogbone Member

Sep 26, 2005
    I think that if you look at in two ways the dichotomy is clear. State schools don't need enrollment and private schools do. For a great many private schools, especially enrollment driven ones, they need these "Olympic" sports to help fill bed spaces. 9.9 scholarships plus academic aid plus expenses (salary and operational) still leads out in most cases to a net profit for these school.

State schools by contrast aren't totally tuition driven. They are subsidized by the state in some form so for them, it is a cost effective way to reduce expenses. New Mexico was bleeding money, successful or not, it came down to one less mouth to feed. Bye.

The real crux of it is until 2025 all enrollment is expected to decline. 2026 the enrollment will start to increase again. This is across the board not just soccer. That said, it will still face the casualties in school closings and dropped programs because until there are more students there is less demand. Also, I would guess that the burgeoning online space is cutting revenue.

Bottom line is if the pandemic persists it will drastically change the college landscape and those schools without resources won't make it. Just my opinion.

Fitballer and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    The whole school? The athletics program? Men's soccer (I jest, obviously)?

5. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    school...

6. Fish On

Fish On Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Club:
    AC Mantova

Many state schools athletic Dept are only subsidized by their states 4-6%. State budgets will no doubt take a hit. Schools may be only receiving 1-2% as education/athletics are usually a low priority. Private schools will probably start to merge. If more schools go online, athletics at schools 750-1200 enrollment will most likely end. IMHO

7. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now, let’s start the discussion again...how will college soccer be impacted when the DA gets terminated?

8. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I've read rumors that it will be cancelled including the recently-instituted girls side, which hasn't been doing all that well in competition with ECNL. Do you know something official?

9. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    Rumors abound --

-it's over
    -It's over except for the teams supported by MLS clubs
    -It's over except for the teams supported by MLS clubs and NASL clubs
    -It's just a poorly-worded announcement of an end to the current season
    -It's just DA haters wishing

Take your pick

10. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There could be an announcement today.

I've heard from multiple sources that it's a done deal. That doesn't necessarily mean that the MLS entities won't keep their youth setups in their own league though. Just the current format of the DA is done.

11. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincinnati just shut down their men's soccer program.

TimB4Last repped this.
  12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    But I played against Cincinnati. I scored against Cincinnati. But that was ages ago, no reason to give up on soccer now. :(

https://gobearcats.com/news/2020/4/14/uc-discontinues-mens-soccer-program.aspx

"The men's soccer program dated to 1973 with an all-time record of 385-408-84. The Bearcats were 5-11-1 in 2019 and longtime head coach Hylton Dayes stepped down following the season."

ThePonchat repped this.
  13. Newports

Newports Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Would UC have shut down a program that they expected to take the field in August? I doubt it. Maybe they sit out this year and bring it back when things look a bit more stable...in '21 hopefully. Maybe they--Div.1-- play this year and maybe not.

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Harbinger, I fear.

russ repped this.
  15. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Don't let a good pandemic got to waste for an easy out on cost-cutting.

Sandon Mibut and ThePonchat repped this.
  16. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. They are done. It's happened before and will happen again.

SUNY Buffalo did the same. Valpo. New Mexico. All were late or semi-late cuts.

fknbuflobo repped this.
  17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There's a cruel irony here in that college soccer finally gets to the verge of having a major game-changer to the way the sport is played and administered at the college level only to have it undone by a pandemic that not only tables to proposed changes but causes the sport to go backwards as a result of revenue loss.

Similarly, it's ironic that it's never been easier to watch and follow college soccer yet the level of high-end players that make a sport worth watching are no longer coming to college soccer.

As fluid as everything has become in the past six weeks, it's silly to speculate. At the same time, it's hard to feel confident about the future of college soccer right now.

fknbuflobo and Fitballer repped this.
  18. Fitballer

Fitballer Member

Mar 6, 2015
    It's crazy when you look at the EADA report with how much they are spending on Football, Basketball and golf they could have easily saved it if they wanted to....

19. MySonsPlay

MySonsPlay Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Oct 10, 2017
    My youngest son's school is having weekly online team meetings, and last nights meeting was all about budgets.

The coaches told the players that they have been asked to submit multiple budgets showing anywhere from 10% to 40% cut scenarios. Possible playing only conference games and or no other overnight travel.

Fortunately, no talk of cutting program, but coaches may not know that at this time.

CaptainD and Fitballer repped this.
  20. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard a lot of this talk. Mainly due to a possibility of a shortened season -- late start preparation. I also do know that there's talk of schools/conferences wanting an increased preseason (earlier move-in) IF things are back to normal before August.

CaptainD and Fitballer repped this.
  21. CaptainD

CaptainD Member

Oct 20, 2014
    My son's team is also having weekly zoom meetings. Interestingly today they were told that the team is getting 3 more roster spots.

22. Arctic Panzer Wolf

Arctic Panzer Wolf New Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So 3 more full-pay kids for the school. One can only assume that a similar percentage of roster spots will be required by all teams in that department to keep Title 9 #'s in line. That school is looking to drive enrollment by dangling a carrot.

23. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States