Very Small Rocks - 2020-21 - Season Banter Thread

Discussion in 'Games & Fantasy' started by blech, Sep 24, 2020.

1. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    GW26 is just past the 2/3 mark for the season, so I'll throw up another one today. Then GW29 will be just past the 3/4 mark. Then, it's the final stretch.

1 -- FC St. Pauli ----------------- 1433 -- (174) (+0)
    2 -- blechs_dawgs -------------- 1404 -- (167) (+0)
    3 -- Morning Glory ------------- 1349 -- (145) (+0)
    4 -- Keysersoze Wanderers - 1310* -- (110) (+0)
    5 -- Soccer Steve ---------------- 1296 -- (105) (+0)
    6 -- BiggerBoat ------------------- 1215 -- (93) (+0)
    7 -- Bunch of Muppets -------- 1116 -- (89) (+0)
    8 -- FC Epikoinis ------------------ 1051 -- (97) (+0)

Keysersoze's score is reduced by 6 due to the Maja trade (4 from Maja and 2 from Veltman in GW26). Typically the 4-point trade penalties just get done automatically, but there have been years where those have had to be added depending on how many or few trades were made in the week. Hopefully KW gets it fixed before this next GW starts so that this is it. Please speak up if someone thinks this should be handled differently or that some exception applies.

No changes in the standings in the past two weeks, although the gap between almost every position is a little wider as a ranking of points in the past two weeks (in the parentheses) matches the standings, with the exception of FCE.

2. tjh71

tjh71 Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Wollongong, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sorry about the stuff up guys. I will wear whatever punishment you guys seem fit to meter out.
    So, in plain english Blech, what would you like me to do to correct? Seeing it is so close to deadline I will make another trade i need to do and then i will trade out both Maja and Veltman.

3. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I am fine with how you've handled it. It happens, and unfortunately is one of the hassles of doing a drafted league manually.

We will need to reduce your score going forward by the 6 points that it includes from the 2 players last GW, but any other sanction would seem punitive.

Anyone think anything else is required? Since @tjh71 offered, any good (but fun) punishments worth imposing? :eek:

4. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Hope nobody minds, but I set up a new sheet on the GDoc for transfers starting in GW28 so that we dont have to scroll down 100 lines to make entries. The prior sheets, gw1-13 & gw14-27, are still there if anyone wants to look at them--i just moved them one to the right.

5. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Big moves in gw27 from Soccer Steve and Morning Glory. My dawgs waited until the final game, but thankfully Mahrez and Gundogan came through to at least make it respectable. No predictions yet, but I'm going to say that captain decisions in the last 11 game weeks will decide things!

And last reminder that gw28 starts on Friday.... Make any final moves and get your rosters set!

6. tjh71

tjh71 Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Wollongong, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I'm a little confused as to why I will incur a further 6 point deduction when I have already made an 8 point deduction last week ??? If anything, I gave you an extra 2 points on top. I don't really care that much, I'm not playing for sheep stations, but I'd like to keep it fair and square.

7. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Hey T. I don't want you thinking that it isn't fair, and I'm certainly not claiming to be the last word on this. I invite others to chime in.

As I've always understood, if an illegal trade is made, it is supposed to be corrected immediately, by reversing it (i.e., going back to the original player). Ideally that happens before the deadline. In order to correct the illegal trade, there will be 4-point transaction "penalties" (although I've also understood that the owner could avoid those by playing the wildcard that week, which would be a separate/different kind of penalty). If the owner wants to make a new trade after correcting that's fine, but it needs to be fixed first (and that will involve penalty points).

Here, you made your transfer shortly before the deadline, so it wasn't spotted and it wasn't corrected until the following week. So, the 8-point penalty that you took in gw27 to move the illegally acquired players essentially replaces the 8-point penalty that you should/would have gotten in gw26 if you had been able to correct it immediately. Right? This 8 points is what it costs to move the players out, which is part of correcting the trade. It happened the following GW rather than immediately but it is a wash in terms of your overall points so you are good on that front (**subject to the note at the very end).

But, in addition to the transaction cost to correct the lineup, we have an additional issue here because the correction didn't occur until the following week and you got points from the two players being in your lineup in GW26. So, those 6 points total (4 from Maja and 2 from Veltman) still need to be removed. That's why I said there would be an additional manual deduction of 6 points.

If you think it's unfair, perhaps a compromise would be to reduce the manual adjustment to 4 points instead of 6, only subtracting Maja's points and not Veltman's points, since Veltman is only part of this by virtue of the double trade rule.

====

So that others don't have to go digging through old posts or the FPL site if they want to chime in, I believe this is the important parts of what happened (although feel free to additional points if I've missed any):

-- GW26 - Keysersoze dropped Obgonna and Barnes and picked up Veltman and Maja

-- Maja was already owned by another VSR team (and it was posted on both of the sheets that we use on the GDoc) - Keysersoze's move was made shortly before the deadline - it wasn't spotted and no one pointed out the need to correct it after the deadline

-- Maja and Veltman scored 4 and 2 points in GW26, for a total of 6 points, that are part of Keysersoze's total

-- GW27 - Keysersoze corrected the trade - in addition to making a separate "free" trade, Keyzersoze dropped Veltman and Maja and picked up Targett and Iheanacho - the system took an automatic 8 points for the two extra trades made in GW27

-- Note: Veltman isn't owned by anyone else, and is only caught up in this by virtue of the fact that this was posted as a double trade - had the trades been posted separately, there is nothing wrong with the Veltman part of the trade

====

By the way, if we were being technical, I believe that the rules actually call for the actual reversal of the illegal trade. So, where you made the illegal trade of two players from pair A to pair B, and then you corrected from pair B to pair C, I'm recalling occasions where people were actually expected to first do B to A (to reverse) and then to A to C to make a new pick. Obviously, that would means even more transaction costs. So, while it may not feel like it, in some ways, only have 8 points to correct is, perhaps, lenient. In my mind, requiring an additional transfer is punitive.

8. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Pep shaking things up this week. MCI starting lineup doesn't include KDB, Gundogan, Sterling, Mahrez or Foden. Vice captains ready?

9. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I was just sharing my recollection above, but the thread on the rules is pinned at the top of the forum and can be found at this link:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/all-rocks-draft-rules-and-transfers.1991518/

Taken from the end of the first post:
    "If you accidentally make a transfer mistake of a player on someone elses team do the following. Notify your league, Immediately transfer them out, any points that player brought in has to be deducted and a -4 penalty needs to be taken. Usually, the -4 penalty can be made by making the additional transfers that cost -4 on the official site."

So, there are two potential parts of points adjustments -- the penalty to correct the transfer (which is usually done automatically by the system) and the manual deduction of the points that the player earned while on the team, if any. Hope you're cool with that. Also, if you don't use, a reminder that I set up a third page on the GDoc that populates from the team rosters and that I usually sort by position every week or two which provides a nice way to check to see if a player is available.

It's always been my view that we should make an exception to the -4 penalty if the GDoc hasn't been updated, i.e., that we should be able to rely on the GDoc (and a scan of the last few posts on the official transfer thread), which makes it a fairly easy check. But I don't believe that's been officially adopted yet. And, frankly, I wouldn't be offended to doing away with the 4 point penalty as a way of recognizing that these mistakes happen, but that's probably a discussion to be raised across all leagues during the offseason.

10. tarvinodos

tarvinodos Member+

Jul 17, 2008
    Long Beach, CA
    Another congrats to an Iheanacho transfer!

tjh71 repped this.
  11. tjh71

tjh71 Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Wollongong, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thank you. At least it wasn't an illegal transfer this time :giggle:

tarvinodos repped this.
  12. tjh71

tjh71 Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Wollongong, Australia
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Wow! Maaaaaaate, that's far too much into it and too much reading for someone like me who is just playing for shits and giggles (maybe you guys ARE playing for sheep stations :unsure:).
    Listen mate, I know there has to be rules (and you guys do a great job of keeping this all together) and I'm all for abiding by them. But this is all too much. Just take the extra 6 points and we'll call it quits. And I'll try not to stuff up again. Cheers.

13. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    GW30 is in the books and the race is sizzling:

1 -- FC St. Pauli ----------------- 1584 -- (+0)
    2 -- blechs_dawgs -------------- 1559 -- (+0)
    3 -- Morning Glory ------------- 1550 -- (+0)
    4 -- Soccer Steve ---------------- 1505 -- (+1)
    5 -- Keysersoze Wanderers - 1492* -- (-1)
    6 -- BiggerBoat ------------------- 1391 -- (+0)
    7 -- FC Epikoinis ----------------- 1240 -- (+1)
    8 -- Bunch of Muppets -------- 1235 -- (-1)

The top scorers over the last 4 GWs are Soccer Steve (209) and Morning Glory (201), as both continue to push for a promotion spot.

And, FCSP made some magical moves in the past few weeks that deserve a highlight. An extra transfer for a point-hit is always dangerous proposition, particularly if it's just for a single week and probably doubly so this season if it involves a Brighton player. But FCSP confidently swooped for Trossard in GW29, watching as he scored 14 to easily cover the 4-point transfer penalty and FCSP brought Rodriquez back in for Trossard in GW30, watching the Colombian star put up a smooth 11 with a spectacular goal. Very well played, and those moves are basically what separates FCSP from the dawgs and Morning Glory,

There is no comfort even at the top spot, and it's neck and neck at 2 & 3, while Soccer Steve and Keysersoze remain in striking distance.

At the other end, FCE has moved from the cellar, but still has 151 points to go to catch Bigger Boat and avoid the bottom 2.

scottk964 and tarvinodos repped this.
  14. scottk964

scottk964 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCSP gave all those points back this weekend by failing to start Dallas (14+bonus) and Meslier (4+bonus). You're welcome, everyone. Cheers!

lobomojo repped this.
  15. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Since you asked, I'll agree to let you move Meslier in after the fact..... :cool: But I assume you'll stick with the 12, soon to be increased to 15 once BPs are added, from Johnstone! I supposed counter-balanced since you also took the negative score for Ward-Prowse missing the PK that Johnstone saved, but that's quite a haul for a GK. Well done!

scottk964 repped this.
  16. scottk964

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Johnstone cushioned the blow a bit. But JWP would've been my sub if I had kept Dallas in there... but then JWP would've been inserted after Bellerin's 0... and who knows about Zinchenko... wheels within wheels...

blech repped this.
  17. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    While we're one game into GW33, here are the standings/points at the end of GW32:

1 -- FC St. Pauli ----------------- 1683 -- (+0)
    2 -- Morning Glory ------------- 1673 -- (+1)
    3 -- blechs_dawgs -------------- 1649 -- (-1)
    4 -- Keysersoze Wanderers - 1586* -- (+1)
    5 -- Soccer Steve ---------------- 1582 -- (-1)
    6 -- BiggerBoat ------------------- 1461 -- (+0)
    7 -- FC Epikoinis ----------------- 1331 -- (+0)
    8 -- Bunch of Muppets -------- 1320 -- (+0)

Morning Glory has a big GW32 and jumps into the promotion spot, while Keysersoze and Soccer Steve continue their dance in the 4/5 spots with time running out to make a move, but both still within striking distance. At the other end, Bigger Boat margin over #7 has shrunk from 151 to 130, but with only 6 GWs to go, it's going to take a good chunk more than 10 points per GW to place DrH in any real jeopardy.

As noted, GW 33 is underway.

As it looks like a point here or there may end up making a difference, I'd invite anyone to point out any games, transfers, etc. that end up making a difference. Did you lose a point that you expected? Get one that you didn't?

As for this first game, ARS v EVE, I'm claiming a victory for the dawgs, with the duo of Richarlison and Digne grabbing 11 points. Richarlison ended up with an assist with the score counted as an own goal for GK Leno. It cost me a point for him not to get the goal, but Morning Glory has Leno in goal and took the -2, so that was a net win for me! And, FCSP had Digne matched with Keane, but Keane sat this one out. With no subs this week on FCSP's bench, scale tips to the dawgs. And, while Salah has been quite the quiet captain of late for me, FCSP played Rodriquez (3*2) and Morning Glory gambled with Saka (2*2). But it's only one game. No doubt Saturday will be different.

tarvinodos repped this.
  18. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Two more GWs down. With only FOUR to go, here are the standings/points at the end of GW34 (with point in the last two GWs in the first parentheses, and position changes in the second):

1 -- FC St. Pauli ----------------- 1794 --(111) (+0)
    2 -- blechs_dawgs -------------- 1751 -- (102) (+1)
    3 -- Morning Glory ------------- 1720 -- (48) (-1)
    4 -- Keysersoze Wanderers - 1686* -- (100) (+0)
    5 -- Soccer Steve ---------------- 1659 -- (77) (+0)
    6 -- BiggerBoat ------------------- 1527 -- (66) (+0)
    7 -- Bunch of Muppets -------- 1434 -- (113) (+1)
    8 -- FC Epikoinis ----------------- 1403 -- (72) (-1)

The unexpected cancellation of the MUN-LIV match due to the breach of security was perhaps the big news from GW34. All three of the top teams had at least one player in the match, so perhaps a wash in terms of impact, although it meant the dawgs went without a captain and the dawgs and Morning Glory ended up fielding less than 11. It is unclear how and where this match gets slotted into the existing schedule--perhaps the Liverpool game with West Brom on the 16th gets moved to midweek when MUN is playing Leicester (to add another double GW for this coming gw35), which then allows MUN-LIV to be played on the 16th during GW36? Hard to imagine that happening when the GW is only days away and the game would be just a week from now, but where else could it go?

It also continues to look likely that someone will end up in 3rd with over 1900 points (50.00/gw average), and possibly even 4th will hit that magic mark as well.

Looking at the table....

blechs_dawgs and Morning Glory flip spots again. It has been quite the see-saw battle, with Morning Glory needing a reversal following back-to-back disappointing weeks and perhaps questions as to whether there has been some philosophical switch for Spurs that is shifting the focus to Bale. FCSP is certainly not safe yet, but it must feel good to open up the lead slightly with only four to play. Meanwhile, Keysersoze still has plenty of work to be done but is approaching the point where a massive haul in one of the last weeks could make for a memorable comeback. The Keysersoze score still carries the asterisk for the 6-point adjustment, although when we go back to the penalty and recognize that was when Keysersoze opted for Iheanacho as the backup choice after the unsuccessful grab of Maja, the forced pick of Iheanacho may ultimately be the turning point.

19. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    All of the rules/penalties issues aside (see the transfers thread), GW35 is underway with double and triple gameweeks, with one Friday game and a (perhaps surprising) Newcastle victory over Leicester. Not much (literally nothing in my case) from day one for the current top two. Morning Glory has 10 points (soon to be 13) from Wilson to jumpstart the GW after a couple of off GWs. Keysersoze has 5 points (soon to be 7) plus a second game to come from Iheanacho with the triple captain played, to make that a quick 21 points from day 1 as the gap narrows. And, Soccer Steve has three WHU players lined up on his bench, with the bench boost played, as part of a final run to get back into the race.

lobomojo repped this.
  20. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    GW35-Day2
    Another eventful day.
    FCSP ignored the double gameweeks, handing the armband to Son, and was rewarded with a goal in a losing effort. Sterling gets a goal as well, but has claims for a late penalty denied. Would it have meant an assist (with Gundogan taking it) or would Sterling have been at the spot looking for the brace? But, no whistle and VAR stayed out of it, and Pep fumed, especially when Chelsea came back shortly after to grab the winner. A decent 24 points on the day, but the big points from Bamford and Dallas are on the bench, as FCSP is now looking at slim hopes of getting them on.

The dawgs had what was looking like a disappointing day saved with the Liverpool trio of captain Salah, Firmino, and Phillips all getting in on the points in the late game. 25 points on the day is at least treading water. Gundogan came on late, while Mahrez and Havertz were rested. Havertz at least has another game, but it puts a dent in the concept of a double gameweek....

Morning Glory is now at 24 for the GW, but only managed 11 today. Mount joined Havertz for the rest on the Chelsea bench, while Alonso got the late game winner to to make it a decent day. I've said it before, but Morning Glory must surely be on a serious Kane watch, as he has Kane has now hit 3 straight games with no returns. On the TOT goal, Kane made a great run that took a defender with him and opened the space for Son to receive and finish. Last week, it was something similar for one of Bale's goals. No Kane owner will be happy with him becoming a decoy! The good news is that he has yet to go 4 games without a return all year, so surely it will be different in GW36.... The big turning point for Morning Glory will likely come from the captaincy decision -- Cavani. Frankly, it looks like a stroke of genius. A triple gameweek, and he may well not start a game, but he'll surely play in every game, and while I'm too lazy to check the stats, I'd have to guess that Cavani is near the top of the list of goals per minute. We'll see round 1 of this gambit tomorrow.

And Keysersoze rounds out the top 4, with nominal returns today from Dias and Torres, to sit on 25 points for the GW, but with a healthy stack of players still to come including a second game from his triple captain.

While Morning Glory and Keysersoze had jumped out to the lead for the GW on Friday, after day two, the scores are 24, 25, 24, and 25. It's reading like a strategic day at the track and we're just approaching the first turn with everyone jockeying for position......

scottk964 repped this.
  21. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    I moved this over from the transfer thread.

That's brutal dude. Sorry.

22. scottk964

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this! FCSP did ignore the double gameweeks when I captained Son, but didn't notice Man United's TRIPLE gameweek in time to move the band to Greenwood. My Spurs bias led me to bench the Leeds players. At least Rodriguez's fragile calf meant Bamford's points counted.

And now squeaky bum time at the top of table!

1 -- FC St. Pauli ----------------- 1903 -- (41) (+0)
    2 -- blechs_dawgs -------------- 1898 -- (66) (+0)
    3 -- Keysersoze Wanderers--- 1811 -- (43) (+1)
    4 -- Morning Glory -------------- 1809 -- (17) (-1)
    5 -- Soccer Steve ---------------- 1767 -- (18) (+0)
    6 -- BiggerBoat ------------------- 1669 -- (37) (+0)
    7 -- Bunch of Muppets -------- 1569 -- (61) (+0)
    8 -- FC Epikoinis ----------------- 1511 -- (43) (+0)

tarvinodos and blech repped this.
  23. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    For a change, I've got no comments. Don't want to jinx anything. Good luck to you and everyone else in these final games.

24. scottk964

Apr 1, 2004
    Winchester, VA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dammit, who else missed the deadline today?

25. Journeymen

Journeymen Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Hampshire, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lobomojo repped this.