Vermes Needs to go, he is in way over his head.

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by spinman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is the techincal director of BVSC, club has gotten really big but have the top teams in each age group anymore.

2. Wizardman03

Wizardman03 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My only question is what is the overall direction this club see's themselves going? Are they looking for veterans to lead them? Youth movement? or just patch up the squad with unknown internationals?

With the way MLS is set up, i think the only way to do this is with a youth movement. I know the FO wont want this with the new stadium but it pay off in the long run. Look at the Crew and after years of turmoil they finally have a solid nucleus of young players such as Marshall, Rogers, Hesmer, Gaven, and then you can mix in a international veteran like Schelotto to set them over the top.

I hate to say it but it is time to move on from some players that might be past their prime. Jewsbury, Wolff, and I'll even throw in there Arnaud and Conrad. I love Conrad and thought taking his captains armband away from him was a big mistake. As for Aranud he has been a serviceable player but as a captain he has a very short temper and is known for getting reckless fouls and cards and at times ejected. You can't have your captain getting thrown out when the team needs him.

I don't know maybe the new stadium and a change of scenery will do them good, but who knows?

3. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    You know how the CAB stifles opponents attack? It hurts our as well. We aren't much better than any other team that comes in and plays on it. We have to play on it too and we can't.

and we have a ton of new talent, and have been a revolving door of players on par with the one they replaced. I do like that we are constantly looking and bringing in the numbers to do so but we gotta get some keepers at some point.

Draft wise I think we are doing ok. 2008 was a bit weak. but Zusi, and Besler are doing ok enough for their sophomore year.

2008 doesn't look too bad. We got Myers and rid of an out of date Garcia. (mistake if we are starting Shavar, maybe?) Espinoza as our second pick in the 1st. That is a pretty good steal so far. Leathers for lack of depth is still on the team. (Holbein beat out McKenzie*RSL who we picked as the 4th.)

In 2007 We picked up Harrington in the first But there are only 3 others in that class are worth anything after our pick.

Lopez wasn't worth the hype (however so small it was) but he produced. Maybe not a playoff run, but Vermes got him the second year on the super cheap, He went from 800K to 180K. That didn't happen by accident.

Vermes is doing the right things that a TD does but as far as getting the players to play, he is lacking it. He has got the player accquisition and salary budget down pat. It is up to a coach to get them to play well together.

Vermes is supposedly great at organizing the youth level. Why not have the TD spot in control of that too, but leave the pros to an experienced coach.

As I was was typing I realized that Vermes weak spot might be recruiting. It is clear that this is the" international year" What is the major player this year. We got Auvray, Neilsen, and Smith, two of the three I am sold on. It seems to be as reliable a source of players as drafting except they don't need to be developed as much.

All in all there has been a lot of movement on this team since Vermes took
    over. When will the old start accepting the new. New is a must in a sports franchise, esp. in KC, and esp. when it is a losing franchise. Though for all the fun it was in 2004 thats it. that is all we have had. This has been a losing franchise since then.

KEEP VERMES AS TD. HE GETS THAT.

GET ME A COACH!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. kafka

kafka New Member

May 31, 2010
    Olathe
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At some point, Vermes has to see that the team on the field is not meeting expectations and actually shows little real improvement. While he can possibly cite multiple excuses or give semi-plausible reasons for poor results, the "buck stops" with him. I don't understand how he can look at the job he is doing and not just announce he believes the team would be better served with someone else as coach. They are not getting better. How can he believe he is the best option for the team given the results of last and this season? VERMES SHOULD RESIGN AS COACH...he should inherently understand he is not the answer.

5. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I dont think he does get that. He has had far more failures than successes. I think the only reason that Smith, Neilson, and Auvrey are on the team is the addition of scouting staff but I could be wrong.

There is a laundry list of signings that he made that lasted less than 2 seasons.

If you get rid of him, you get rid of him.

6. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Nobody gets it all right all the time and you can rattle off the forgein failures, but you have never seen so many forgien talent (debateable) in such a short time. He may have got a couple. Teams are built here and he has kept value on the salary cap. We are not so profoundly ********ed that we can't turn it around. with new vision at the helm. Vermes needs to find himself a replacement.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/mls/2000/mls_preview/news/2000/03/09/wizards_preview/ great retro read btw.......

7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Many people hold the position they are in for a paycheck, not because they feel they are doing a good job.