Vermes Needs to go, he is in way over his head.

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by spinman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. rainbowwigwizard

rainbowwigwizard New Member

Nov 1, 2004
    The Sunday New York Times Magazine had a great cover story on Ajax's development system. It was 3-4 weeks back. Great read. If you can't find it on their web site let me know and I will try and send you a link.

2. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, then you'll just have to accept the fact that you're not going to be taken as the most reliable source.

Your handle hints - despite your earlier statements against it - that you're somehow associated with one of the players you claim is being unfairly denied playing time. Your claims of being a Division I player tend to reinforce that association, as do the manner of your allegations of unfair treatment under the current regime.

The publicly available demographic information in your profile does contradict the fact that you're Teal, but a - that's easily faked; and b - shoots a horrible hole in your assertion that your Division I experience is ANYTHING like today's Division I experience.

So - setting aside the legitimate, and in many cases shared, gripe about Vermes' incompetence - your postings remind me of the sour grapes of a certain Will John. That worked out so well for him, didn't it?

1 person likes this.
  3. TasteTheRainbow

Aug 22, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haha.... I played against Will John two Wednesdays ago in the Mid America league out on 135th. Dude played great... for a rec league.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, I'd been wondering where he was, last I'd heard he was in the Croatian second division.

5. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So does that qualify for your Alumni update?

6. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    By the way, I forgot to mention that I am inducted into my university's Hall of Fame!

For all the skeptics, let's stick to giving our opinions on technique and tactics, myself included.

The only reason I mentioned my college career is b/c of lack of respect incoming college players get.

7. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No - that would be an act of cronyism.

8. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    1A. NCAA should invest its time in the American player. The chance of getting a primo forgien player from the shear numbers aspect (not to mention those already deemed worthy and picked out by paying clubs) is not in their favor.
    1B. That is if you reject that busts happen at a college level.

2A. Was not aware that their was age restrictions on full tuition.
    2B. What is the major change that you are infering, I am ignorant and do not know.

3 observant and learners the coach must always be, it is the one who can get his players to adapt is the one that wins championships.

4 No denying it.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our fourth round pick this year was a perfect example of this. Sarkodie was the U-17 national team captain at the U17 World Cup and a member of the US U20 team and now is out of the game, at least as far as I can find right now.

10. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    victim of getting the wrap sheet over the tapes on draft day?

11. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    I respect your posts, you are the real deal. But isn't it interesting that the original post was about PV handling of the job?

I stated my position on his tactics, his loyalty to certain players, and his handling of young players and I get crucified. If Roger doesn't go to SA, I don't think Myers gets on the pitch this year. He was our #1 pick just a few years ago. As an organization, you are responsible to your fan base to say we screwed-up with that pick or to further developing that talent.

Who knows what happened to Sarkodie's development? What i do know is that his parents wanted him to stay at Indiana to get his degree.

Andre Akpan (Harvard) is another player that stayed the full 4-years and is struggling to get minutes in Colorado.

The MLS has done a piss-poor job of promoting, and developing players coming out of the college ranks. As a former college player i do have a gripe with that. I am tired of hearing let's get a the DP from ...

Let's look back to 1990 when our boys qualified for their first WC since 1950. We needed a victory against T&T, and the boys pulled it off. That team was made up of primarily collegiate players.

Let's give the collegiate system the respect it deserves!

12. JimK

JimK Member

Mar 9, 2008
    WaldoKC
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    The last time iwatched D1 soccer on the tube two factors stood out. One, the clock counted down and actually would stop for subs. Second, the apparent unlimited substitutions. These may seem like small details, but it reminds me of the old NASL's 35 yard line. I certainly respect any individual who has the skill set to play D1-but unless those factors change I just don' see the point of getting too worked up over the draft or even the draft picks we send to Philly.

13. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Full of it! There are various people on these boards who claim or have claimed to play and they are almost always full of shit when people don't know who they are.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure plenty of fan bases in multiple sports are waiting for their front offices to say they screwed up with a draft pick, other than waiving the player that doesn't happen. And Myers is a salary cap exempt player so he's not being waived until that contract is up.

As to the lack of developing Myers, I've stated multiple times on this forum that I blame Onalfo greatly for Harrington not being a national team caliber left back at this point of his career. His development totally stalled under Onalfo. Myers could fall into that category a bit, but it also helps if said player is healthy enough to get regular time, which Myers really hasn't.

No argument from me on the fact that we don't know for sure what caused Sarkodie's development to stall, it happens all over the world, I was just pointing it out.

Because you don't build a team around kids who are in their first year as a professional player. Because not all of them pan out. As for developing players, MLS hasn't done a fantastic job, but Carlos Bocanegra, Clarence Goodson, Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Stuart Holden, Ricardo Clark, Brad Guzan, etc show that that's not entirely true.

That was out of necessity, not because they really wanted to. There was no pro system in the US at that time, they didn't really have much of a choice but to go with college kids. I'd venture to guess that if MLS was around at the time with the project 40/Generation Adidas, you'd have seen most of those players playing professionally. If you want to look at a league that did a piss-poor job of developing American talent, look at the NASL as they're lack of develop (and the leagues death) were two factors that led to us using college kids in the 1990 qualification.

It does deserve some respect, but I think you're going over the top with it.

15. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spot on. Gordo's HS coach was a joke. Most of the posters on BS know more about the nuts and bolts of the game than this guy does. He just completed, I believe, his 24th season as head coach.

What skills his players learned, they learned it from their club teams, not his "coaching".

16. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, Myers was due to be on the starting 11 at left forward before he injured himself preseason. It's also difficult to develop a player when they spend the better part of two seasons injured/sick.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bump.

Fire Vermes.

18. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    domenech and lipi should be cheap...can we afford Klinsman

******** I'd take just about anyone in the world right now (just not 2 of 3 names above)

19. slashersfc

slashersfc Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I agree, we need better coaching; I dont know that just firing Vermes would do enough.

This core of players is on their 4th coach, and with each of the previous ones they quit when the chips are down. We need players with not only talent (which I believe we have enough of) but heart and desire as well.

We quit after the first goal tonight, just like we quit two weeks ago. That is unacceptable. I can handle losing because we arent good enough or we are unlucky, but I cant handle many more performances like the last two home games where we just quit.

Blow up this team and start over, top to bottom. There are a few pieces such as Harrington, Kei, and Espinoza that we can build around, but the rest of this bunch can go for all I care.

20. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree to an extent, there is a major lack of heart out there. People like Jimmy Conrad, Jack Jewsbury, Davy Arnaud and Josh Wolff are supposed to be the leaders on this team and just ********ing suck.

If you look at this team, go down the roster and tick off the players you honestly expect to have an MLS career in three years there are few. Harrington, Espinoza, Bunbury, Auvrey, Smith, Rocastle, Besler ... anybody expecting Arnaud, and Co to be hear in 2013? No -- the core is old and dying, we need to trade away these dinosaurs and get some talent in here, and a guy who knows how to develop it.

21. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Davy, Jimmy, Jack, and Josh either are or might as well be cashing checks- they are not good enough at this point. If I were managing this club I'd be seeing what their back up have to show. If there is anyone out there who thinks Zusi doesn't play with more heart or that this team isn't better with him in the lineup please stand up and say so and prepare to be beaten down.

I know I've been drinking but I'd also blame that on the Wizards..............stop ********ing playing the establishment when the kids are more hungry right now. That isn't a pun towards Vermes.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've scored 11 goals this season, tied for the worst in the league. We're 4 goals behind the next closest team, we haven't even scored 4 goals in our last 7 games...

23. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    It's time for Vermes to relinquish his role as manager. I never understood the idea of 'let's see what he can do with the players he signed' after firing Onalfo. Being able to find and sign players and managing those players are two (very) different skill sets. I would say we can confidently surmise that Vermes lacks the managing skill set.

As for acquiring talent, maybe he's okay. I was not sold on him, but the past offseason with Auvray and Ryan Smith give me some hope that he can do that part at least adequately.

So, I'm not saying we need to box up his bobble head collection and have security waiting at the door for him. But he needs to step down for the good of the franchise, and, frankly, his own job security. The longer he's on the bench the more likely it is he'll be simply fired before it's all said and done.

My two cents, hand the reins over to whichever assistant coach has the best ideas for how to handle the second half of the season. Move over and let that guy do whatever he wants.

24. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've found his replacement

the Project Manager from the stadium crew!

25. spinman

spinman Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vermes needs to go back to coaching the club and regional youth teams. It's embarrasing to watch us night in and night out.