Vermes Needs to go, he is in way over his head.

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by spinman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, what do you propose? Finish out the season with Zambrano or Savic? I'm afraid we'd end up in a similar situation where they finish out the year and are made head coach next year. I definitely agree that they should be looking to bring in someone new next year and should start looking at options as soon as possible.

2. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not disagreeing with you about PV but I just think that we would bring our team down more (spirits or whatever) again if we change coaches during the season...Even if we change coaches, we then have to have players who want to like you said "create chances inside the penalty area" ! What if we change coaches and he is even worse than PV or CO? Too much of a gamble...well ok, now after reading that, what could it hurt.

I am just sooo irratated with this weekend, seems like saturday morning and saturday night our teams didnt show up to play.

3. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now is really the time to hire an actual coach as its is offseason for leagues who have proven coaches... if we wait till our offseason, all coaches that should have jobs have them and we are left with an ex-player who is a complete shot in the dark as a coach (or worse, an ex-player who hasnt even done well at the youth club level)

4. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hiring a coach from another league with no MLS experience is a huge gamble regardless of their track record. The rules of the MLS are unique in this world and it has been proven that many do not last. The verdict is still out on NY's and Chicago's off-season hires.

5. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the verdict is in on ours, who is familiar with the MLS.....

I will take a guy who may not know the ins and outs of the MLS if he actually knows the ins and outs of coaching the ACTUAL GAME and how to manage a group of players....

6. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The problem you have there is that he may find success on the field but then get frustrated about the off-the-field aspects of MLS and leave for another opportunity elsewhere.

7. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point I don't really have anything to propose, because I don't want Zambrano or Savic to be TD in the interim either. I especially don't want Savic being named head coach.

This wouldn't be smart in my opinion, cause you're basically saying make Vermes a lame duck coach, which isn't going to work well for anyone either.

8. kafka

kafka New Member

May 31, 2010
    Olathe
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Retain Vermes for the rest of the season? Why? There is nothing to gain from a continuation of what everyone has witnessed. The ineptitude is demonstated--it should not be tolerated. Could the team play any worse for anyone else? It's not like you can destroy team chemistry--there isn't any.

There has to be something promising and interesting going into next year. The way things are going now, it takes a real masochist to watch games. The new stadium won't be much of a boon if there is no one in the seats...look at the other professional sports franchises in Kansas City...people go to Arrowhead to tailgate and leave games early...I go to 2 or 3 Royals games a year hoping to see something good--but if I do, it is blind dumb luck.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just as a quick note, no coach who didn't have a decent working knowledge of MLS or the American system has won MLS Cup...

10. Hexenmeister

Hexenmeister Member

Aug 9, 2000
    Kearney, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Another reason we should be hoping Bob Bradley is soon relieved of his USMNT duties. ;)

11. kafka

kafka New Member

May 31, 2010
    Olathe
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The first step is to be competitive.

12. Moufwash

Moufwash New Member

May 26, 2009
    Prairie Village
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted, but lets not take that to far, MLS is barely old enough to call the past history and is a very different league than it was 10 years ago, heck than it was 5 years ago. While the MLS may be kinda crazy in regard to the ins and outs, its not like its some mysterious science that a select few have the heads to understand.

Frankly, I am not very confident in the lure of our club or city in getting a Bob Bradley type. I would be happy with anyone who has proven anywhere that they know what they are doing.

But if we could get that perfect mold, lets do it

13. glenthas

glenthas Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely agree with that and I that was poor word choice on my part. I should have said as soon as it's feasible rather than possible. You can leave Vermes in place and begin your search at the end of the season or try to bring someone new in right now. I don't think the latter is a very good idea because you need to bring someone in pretty quickly once the process is set in motion. I really don't see a practical option other than letting Vermes finish out the season.

14. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    It's difficult to be competitive with with this group of coaches; They lack leadership. First of all, they have used three different central defenders in twelve games, that's not good.

Secondly, they don't know how to develop young talent. Did they really need three years to figure-out Myers best position is right back? Poor Beasler, he doesn't know if he is coming or going. Additionally, they drafted the number one scorer in the NCAA, but chose to play him as a winger. Forget the nonsense about being too green, either you are a player or you are not.

Lastly, they should know that they don't have the personnel to play a 4-3-3. Again, in a 4-3-3 you need midfielders that knows how to play ball-to-feet as well a narrowing passing lanes when in defensive positions.

This staff needs to stop the cronyism and put their best players on the pitch.

15. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    first, Myers has been hurt most of that time, and when he did play it was mostly at the RB spot.

second Besler has been steady in the LCB or the LB his whole (1-1/2 seasons) profesional career.

third NCAA ain't no MLS, not even close. and it isn't like Bunbury is the best striker the NCAA ever produced. and for the what it is worth the most dangerous CF in MLS is Donovan and when he went to Everton he played on the wing.

Only three CB in 12 games, I don't see what you are getting at. That isn't a whole lot of turnover or uncertainty, and the only reason they used 3 is because Besler was getting toasted, they gave Escobar a chance, and well.... they had to go back to Besler,

Cronyism? Other than Josh Wolff I don't know who is a crony. Who is it that you are claiming to be a crony and whom on the roster who is healthy do you replace them with.

Fact of the matter is the roster got overhauled. Hell it got blownded up. It is gonna take a season to get a team built again. What team in what sport goes through major overhauls and goes out and win championships. It doesn't happen all too often.

1 person likes this.
  16. United fury

United fury Member+

Feb 9, 2007
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not trolling, but just to let you know:

Spending big $ does not = successful MLS coach

17. kafka

kafka New Member

May 31, 2010
    Olathe
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone think that Vermes is the coach that can lead this team out of disappointing play?

18. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    See Mwanga, he is getting playing time, 4 goals. Shawalski (sp), getting playing time, 4 goals. The list goes on and on with this "NCAA" class. Coaches that trust their young players are eventually rewarded

Wolff: a $220, 000. 00 crony. Enough said!

Never mess with your backline. Vermes had the whole preseason to get it right.

Don't want to get into a back and forth about this, but Vermes has messed this-up. He should not be defended.

19. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yunno, your charges of cronyism are not sitting well with me. Wolff gets paid if he plays or if he is benched, whereas Vermes will ultimately be fired if things do not improve. It makes no sense, it is distasteful and an unfair charge. You are right that PV need not be defended for the performance of the team but your taking this a step further and getting into areas of integrity and I think most people here would shy away from that.

20. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO

Mwanga plays for an expansion team, they don't have much of any other options. Shawalski wouldn't see the feild if it weren't for Twellmans injuries and Joesphs absence forcing wingers and forwards into the midfeild. Keep going with your list. For every 1 rookie sensation striker you find, you can pull 10 failures.

Been arguing the price tag on wolff since last season, what else is new. You share the view 90% of people on here. (including myself) But other then him who else is part of this cronyism, it certainly wasn't half of last years team. Maybe its the coaches, you could make a case for Zavagnin being a crony, but I think thats more of a club being loyal to a loyal player for many years of service.

NO, you don't fix something that isn't broken. Wasn't the first tinkerings due to Conrad's absence?

Not defending Vermes. Just going after your line of thought. It seems reactionary as well as short sighted.

21. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Look, in pro sports, it's is very important for the coach to maintain the locker room. So, Vermes has his guys (veterans) starting. Benching them creates dis-union. So to the detriment of the team, he continues to start certain vets.

By the way, if you agree that Pv should not be defended for the performance of the team, why can you not agree with the charge of cronyism? Wolff was given the huge contract by Vermes. He can attempt to trade him or cut him. Wolff is a progress stopper.

Re: integrity, i am calling it the way i see it.

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not true. The league gave him that huge contract, and while Vermes and the Wizards likely did have something to say, his contract is with the league, and they're the ones that gave him the final contract. (See the Pat Noonan situation a few years ago for an example of a team willing to pay a player more and MLS saying no)

23. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    So now, it's the leagues fault. So once again, Vermes is off the hook.

24. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not taking Vermes off the hook. I'm just saying it's not just Vermes. The league has as much say in the contract negotiations as the team does (as evident by the Pat Noonan case a few years ago).

But please continue to put words in my mouth.

25. Felixx219

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players sign with the league and the league pays the players salaries.

So, the contract would be on the league. That's just how it is.