Venues for possible Deep Freeze WCQ

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Chowderhead, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    If we get to host the Februrary 9, 2005 game (and I bet Concacaf rigs it so we don't), the following stadiums could be considered:

Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, MA, cap. 68,000. Too big.
    Rentschler Field, E.Hartford, CT, cap. 40,000. Maybe just right
    Rutgers Stadium, New Brunswick, NJ, cap. 42,000. A possibility.
    Princeton Stadium, Princeton, NJ, cap. 27,700. Could be perfect.
    Cleveland Browns Stadium, OH, cap. 72,000. Big but could put the freeze on.
    Crew Stadium, Columbus, OH, cap. 22,500. No more need be said.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, cap. 65,000. A bit narrow otherwise see Boro,Cle.
    Giants Stadium, E.Rutherford, NJ, cap. 79,000. Doubtfull;field turf, too big.
    Lambeau Field, Green Bay, WI, cap. 72,500. Narrow, too big. But what if?

There are some more obscure grounds out there but we'll keep them up our sleeves for now.

Please feel free to suggest others. And keep in mind that late March (the next WCQ date) is not exactly the Mayan Riviera in New England.

2. Kilmer17

Kilmer17 Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Isnt their a decent field somewhere just outside of Nome?

Seriously though. The colder the better.

3. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    IMO, this discussion begins and ends with Columbus. If we get the Feb. 9 date at home (altho as Chowder said, I'll be shocked if it happens--apparently the Mexicans think that holding a game in cold weather is foul play, while having your home games at a mile-high, smog filled 3rd world shithole of a stadium in 110 degree weather in July is OK), then it needs to go to Columbus unless it's against a Carribean team, in which case Denver might be a good venue.

Chicago or Cleveland would be a bit colder than Columbus most likely, but it's tougher to control the crowd there. It'd be OK for Trinidad, I suppose. I want to play our game against Mexico in Columbus regardless of when it is, so if we don't want to over-use that venue we could stick a team like Trinidad in Chicago, Foxboro, or Cleveland, or Jamaica in Denver.

Keep in mind that there are also 2 dates in late March, which won't be bone-chilling cold but could still be hovering around the freezing mark in someplace like Foxboro; also there are 2 dates in early/mid October, which again won't be bone-freezing cold but if it's a night game it'll be colder than anything our Carribean and Central American opponents (except for those who play pro in Europe) are used to.

4. keeper0430

keeper0430 New Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Columbus should be it if we get the nod. Cold whether and not a city that has a huge central American contingent or easily traveled to like others.

Regarding your other stadium choices, size shouldn't matter. They genrally close off the upper levels if they know the crowd won't be big. Seen it applied at RFK and Giants Stadium for US games I've attended.

5. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    You're right, it shouldn't. But could you imagine the outcry if we played Mexico in Cleveland or Giants and then denied their fans access to half the stadium? That's what I was on about.

How about UMass Amherst (17,000) or Lehigh (16,000)? Amherst in February is an icebox. Bethlehem is not exactly Belém, Pará in Brazil.

6. pasoccerfan

pasoccerfan Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Hershey, PA
    What about Portland? Pretty good crowd against Costa Rica in 98 Qualifying...

7. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Portland is too mild in the winter compared to the East Coast. Portland or Seattle would be a good location in the summer against Latin American/Carribbean teams because of the mild summer.
    I think Denver would be a good location for a Feb. 9 game against a Carribbean team. The cold and altitude would work against them.

8. Ann

Ann Member

Feb 17, 1999
    MA
    UMass Amherst??? And people say that Foxboro is in the sticks.

9. futbol2ot

futbol2ot Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine playing one of these teams in upstate NY once Rochester gets their stadium built. Rochester in February would be brutal.

10. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Fantastically brutal... :)

11. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Altitude is another consideration in Denver - it doesn't help against MX, since many of them play in Mexico City.

Colorado weather from March 1 - May 31 is a random series of meteorlogical events - could be 70, could be 25, could be 70 during the day and 25 by 8 pm. March is our biggest snow month, and April isn't far behind. The uncertainty, coupled with the altitude, tells me that we probably won't get a WCQ out here.

But if we do, my family will be there :D

12. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THE RENT as the call it, rentsler field would be perfect for a qualifier

13. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    Fairbanks Alaska baby!!! -40 with a stiff north wind. yeah

14. buffalo

buffalo New Member

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffalo
    February in Buffalo would be insane. March in Buffalo would be harsh. I am biased. Buffalo would be a great place for a game if you want weather to be a major factor. UB stadium is pretty large and is a grass surface. With no Sabres and no Bills people would come out. Realistically it would be a good time to host a game in Pittsburgh. Bring the East Coast and Central fans together for a thrilla.

15. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Princeton, NJ sounds really interesting. I dont know if that stadium has hosted any events other than Princeton University sports.

16. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I think it all depends on the opponent. The reason for the "deep freeze" last time was more about playing Mexico in a pro-USA venue than about playing in frigid temperatures. If Jamaica had been the 1st opponent would we still have played the game in Columbus? Probably not.

If we draw Mexico at home in February then I say go back to Columbus. We're so in their heads right now, returning to the scene of the crime would be perfect. But if we draw T&T, why not play at the HDC or some other warm weather venue. Afterall, for those of us up north, we like to get away in the middle of the winter. A WQC in sunny So Cal would be the perfect excuse. And we're certainly not going to play Mexico or Guatemala at the HDC. The best time to play there would be against a team from the Caribbean. That's why I think it depends on the opponent.

But whoever said Fairbanks . . .

17. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago

Anyone know how this draw works? Is it a visible draw where fixing it is more difficult, or is it a behind closed doors thing?

The only way we play a feb home match in warm weather is if it's against Canada (and they are officially out now). All the warm weather countries would hate playing in the cold. Plus it worked to a charm last time.

18. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why not Philly?

Any of those would work except Fairbanks against Mexico. There are a lot of Mexicans working in Alaska.

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Philly has cold winters but doesn't compare to New England, Columbus, Cleveland, upstate NY, Chicago, etc. Neither does NYC/NJ for that matter.

Denver if it's against a Carribean team, Columbus if it's Mexico or a Central American team. Shouldn't really be any dispute about this.

20. terrywilson

terrywilson Member

May 3, 1999
    Atlanta Ga.
    Growing up in Ohio, there is a cold-weather line that runs through Dayton. Anything north of Dayton is brutal in winter. I live in Cincy now and grew up in Lima. The difference is night and day. Here in Cincy the snow melts on the side streets during the day whereas in Lima and anything north of there Cleveland, C-bus, and Chicago you learn to drive on packed down snow because it never gets warm enought to melt it. Cleveland in Feb. would be sweet. The stadium is on the lake though so a stiff wind from Cananda will definately be in.

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    And that's a bad thing because...?

22. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they pick Rentschler Field!!! The Rent must be tested ASAP, it could be a great venue.

23. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Chicago - Soldier Field - probably said but didn't read them all.

24. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes a thousand times yes.

Sell tickets on the cheap, and draw fans from Milwaukee, Minneapolis and Chicago. Pack 'em in and show these mild climate folks what a real home field advantage looks like. As soon as they see their first group of fans with their shirts off in 10 degree weather, the game will be over.

[NFL Films music]
    "Lambeau Field, Green Bay, Wisconsin. Arriving on the frozen tundra came a name that would live forever. There was a man simply known as Frankie Hejduk."[/NFL Films music]

25. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    green bay would be kick ass or even heinz field in pittsburgh ....hopefully they are wide enough....with no hockey in pittsburgh this year, what else would the pittsburgh people do....same thing goes for green bay which will have no competition for a USMNT game.....all these small new england and new jersey sites probably should get games too but maybe lets say 15 YEARS AGO!!! ....rentschler field? princeton field? COME ON!!! ...these are the Hex qualifiers...we should be able to promote these upcoming crucial games against quality opponents....if we don't get a big crowd at least we could say that we tried in different and especially bigger markets...and the most important thing is weather and green bay and pittsburgh are pretty cold and definitely pro-US