Venue for next home qualifier vs Mexico?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by kba4life1, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The mainstreaming of StubHub and other online ticket brokers has made it almost impossible to control having a US majority. Maybe the best way to handle things is to put up a fence barrier and if you're entering with a US jersey you go on this side of the fence, and if you're wearing opposition colors then you go on the other side of the fence. I guess it would have to be general admission. Fans should not be mixed together in this rivalry any longer.

2. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I LOLed. That would be pretty cool though. If there was only some way we could convince Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck to go to the USMNT games, then all the tea party people that follow them would go to the game. It would be a 100% pro-US crowd.

3. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo.

4. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anymore trolling, casually racist comments, or political statements gets a card or more.

Stop it.

5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could make the tickets non-transferrable and put a name on the purchaser of the ticket.

6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its the same situation with MLS teams and there supporters sections.

7. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  8. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd be uber lame. I had the time of my life with Mexican supporters in LA. I really dont get the collective freakout over a handful of idiots. There were 70-80k Mexican fans in that stadium, if the majority of them were as bad as you say nobody would have made it out alive.

9. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'm kind of partial to West Virginia, Montana, or South Dakota.

12. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lambeau Field (Green Bay, Wisconsin)

Preferably on the coldest and snowiest day in Winter.

13. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Great idea, but how would we be able to get a majority US crowd?

14. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    On the Gringo Wall of Shame
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Venue would be great if it wasn't for the fact that Lambeau is specifically made for football (as in, the field is too small to allow a proper soccer pitch. Nothing a few renovations can't fix, but some Packers-only fans might be slightly upset by that). Camp Randall in Madison would make more sense, but the chances of that happening are less than the chances of me dating Alex Morgan.

15. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would suggest Miller Park. Its indoors.

16. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this game was played in Juneau, Alaska, I'd guess that there'd be 90% Mexican fans there.

No matter where we play this game, there will be a lot of Mexican fans there. Mexican fans aren't stupid- they know how to get tickets, they'll travel from all over the country (both from the United States AND Mexico), and they'll pay whatever $ necessary to support their team. If this game is in Southern Cali or Texas, it'll be 90% Mexican.

We don't want to play in Portland or Seattle on a sh*tty turf pitch (and bringing in real grass for one game isn't a good idea as it often goes poorly).

KC is a nice venue, but why not just keep it in Fort Columbus- where it'll likely be about a 60/40 Pro-US crowd?

And Columbus isn't only good for cold-weathered games- in 2005, we played in Columbus against September. No matter when this game is scheduled, we should play in Columbus. Viva Fort Columbus. Viva Dos a Cero.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our stadium only seats a few hundred, so I think we'd be able to sell it out.

18. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Did we beat September that year?

19. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold part is FACT. And to reiterate, Mexicans will travel. Chicago is right up the road from Columbus, so that fact can't be slept on when we think about regional hubs of where Mexican-Americans reside. The South? Atlanta is a hub. The PacNW isn't even a certainty that there would be a Pro-US crowd simply due to again the west coast being a hub of sorts. The only place I could think of is the New England area where it's somewhat not that thick with Mexican-Americans. DC perhaps? There's plenty of Central-American immigrants in the DC area that I'm sure would LOVE to cheer against Mexico :D:cool:

20. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same problem, as it's built specifically for baseball with no intentions of having any other sport there, but it's not impossible. And even if it did host a US game vs. Mexico, we would have to deal with the Mexican population from Chicago travelling up to the game along with the Mexican population in Milwaukee.

21. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    when choosing a venue, the goal isnt to eliminate the possibility of Mexican supporters. Mexican supporters will travel anywhere at any cost to follow their team. look at the Wolrd Cup travelling support Mexico has. the fans are dedicated and passionate, they will be WHEREVER the match is played.

the goal is to put the match in a place where the USMNT can enjoy the greatest home field advantage. no matter where the match is played, we wont have our own version of Azteca. the sport and support just isnt at that level as it is in mexico. what venue gives us the best advantage? right now its columbus because of the support, the atmosphere, the environment and the fact that it has been successful fo the team so far.

22. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The US Soccer Federation should maintain a database of supporters, and release tickets to that group a month in advance of any public ticket sales. Members would need to purchase tickets to a minimum of 3 games per year to remain in the database...this would remove people (i.e. Mexican fans) from signing up solely to get first dibs on a USA-Mexico matchup. Just a thought...

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I would say look up the Insight Bowl & Chase Field, but they may have to do some minor adjustments to get the field to fit.

24. USOutlaw16

USOutlaw16 Member+

Green Bay Voyageurs
    United States
    Jan 22, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eh, true. I mean look at what they did for Citi Field for the Greece/Ecuador friendly.

But like I said, even if they did play at Miller Park, it wouldn't be a good place to play Mexico, as the Chicago-based Mexico fans will just make the drive up. Not to mention Milwaukee has a pretty sizeable Mexican population as well.

25. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say play it in a giant stadium and charge top dollar for tickets to either keep Mexi's out or profit off them. I used to respect the Crew Stadium thing but we have to outgrow that model.