Venue for next home qualifier vs Mexico?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by kba4life1, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Brandinho

Brandinho Member

None
    United States
    Feb 22, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I would like the game to be played in Kansas City, because apparently KC has good BBQ. And I've never been to Kansas, been to literally every state surrounding it though.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The best place is still Portland using the ticket ditribution tactics I explained in an earlier post.

The Stadium would be loud and everyone would be singing and dancing the whole match.

3. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of note- Seattle has only been able to bring in 15k for USMNT games in the past.

The bigger the stadium, the bigger percentage of Mexicans there'll be.

4. Zoti

Zoti Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Brooklyn
    I'm sure the Mexico game is different from any other CONCACAF game but you do have a point about the stadium capacity being too large.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup.

Maybe you can get away with it if you offered priority tickets to Seattle, Portland, US supporters and Local Highschools, youth clubs in Neighborhoods you know for sure are not ethnic in anyway. (I know it sounds like racial profiling but who cares.)

Those tactics could help a bit but it would still be like a 60/40 crowd.

6. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    You can't play an international in Jeld-Wen, the field is too small and even though the turf is top notch that also poses a problem. Also many in the crowd would still be supporting Mexico. You can't escape that.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

There was a World Cup qualifier there in the past.

It may be to our benefit the match would be on turf.

Also using the tactics I emphasized in an earlier post you can get a Pro USA crowd not a Mexican one.

8. OnlyOneTInFootball

Mar 15, 2011
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Looking at the laws of the game the Jeld-Wen pitch is actually the minimum acceptable field size to host an international match, and the field turf has been two-star certified by FIFA. So Portland could host a match. I thought the renovation would mess that up.

There is international standardization but it applies only to new stadiums.

I'm still not sure Portland hosting would be the home field advantage you expect against Mexico. The Timbers-Club America game will actually be an interesting test as that game is not included in the season ticket holder package. Plus I'd be worried about crowd control if you are selling to both TA and the groups from that city up north of us.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You probably know the demographics of the Timbers Army/ Season ticket Holders better than I do but I would say the majority are not Mexican fans. That is half the stadium right there.

Also for one match you and the guys up north can be friends against a common enemy. It would be awesome to see Seattle fans on one side of the field dancing & singing opposite of the Timbers Army on the other side of the stadium.

10. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    wait, did you really just suggest that?

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes indeed.

12. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    good grief

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is not illegal to point out where your target demographics reside and send out priority ticket info to those areas. :D

14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm sure that thethinwhiteduke would have no problem with mexico targeting american mexican communities for their games in the US.

talk about double standards.

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who doesn't think we should play qualifiers vs Mexico in Columbus is an idiot.

16. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool story

17. BaltimoreYankFan

BaltimoreYankFan New Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Towson, MD
    What about Rochester, NY during the cooler part of the year? I think Minnesota's new college football stadium is a must for a winter qualifier. This is only if Columbus is off the table. Columbus must be the spot.

18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I got negrepped by Brandinho for my post. Which is weird because the only people I may have somewhat offended would be the KKK. Hmmm...

19. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't speak for others but I sure wasn't offended, it was just a stupid thing to write and it wasn't even remotely funny.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

You are wrong.

Columbus has been very successful (impart) because the majority of fans at the matches are NOT Mexican.

Now it does seem to me that as the years pass by more and more Mexican supporters infiltrate Crew stadium...

... which is partially why I want the venue changed to a place like Portland or KC with many more MLS Season ticket holders to choose priority tickets.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably not offended, just confirming what they believe about you.

Way to confirm a stereotype

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Anyone who says broad statements like this is an idiot.

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the shit I saw go down at the Rose Bowl, I can determine there is only one place that is capable of handling a USvsMexico qualifier. The University of PHX Stadium in Glendale, AZ. One reason. SB1070. All Mexico supporters will think they will get arrested, & boycott the game.

24. NCCFBALL

NCCFBALL Member+

Apr 19, 2007
    ITALY
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The last qualifier at Columbus was over 50% pro Mexican. We figured out that all you have to do to get tickets is become a season ticket holder for the MLS team and you get buy tickets tot he qualifier. So we are set.

25. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great idea, and they should let Sheriff Joe Arpaio handle security...I guarantee a 100% pro-USA crowd.