Venue for next home qualifier vs Mexico?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by kba4life1, Jul 26, 2010.

1. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Assuming the Hex doesn't get tinkered with and stays the same, where do you you think the next home qualifier against Mexico will be? Obviously Crew stadium is the leading candidate but are there any other legitimate options where there would at least be a 50/50 crowd split? Seattle? Portland?

2. Heroes of Pretoria

Jun 23, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has to stay in Columbus. Not even for just fan %s - that place is in their heads.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The US has yet to lose in Columbus, and they may even have yet to conceed a goal in qualifying there.

As long as Columbus gets "the big one", then I can go the rest of the cycle without any other games. Mexico in Columbus works, and why mess with a good thing?

4. perspixx

perspixx Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Temecula, Calif.
    The Hispanic population of Washington doubled between 1990 and 2000 and probably double again from 2000 to 2010. The apple orchards of Central Washington are less than two hours from Qwest Field, and most of the apple pickers are Mexican. Combined with the low turnout at Qwest Field in the 2009 Gold Cup, Seattle is a horrible choice for a U.S. home game vs. Mexico.

I would keep it in Columbus.

5. ryebreadraz

ryebreadraz Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The crowd was near 50/50 last year so it's not the fortress that it once was and there will probably be as many Mexicans as Americans there in 2013, but it's become a mental thing so I'd leave it in Columbus until we lose one there or maybe draw.

6. Br1an224

Br1an224 New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus is the obvious choice. I'm gonna throw my choice for next Crew Stadium home fortress out there:

[​IMG]

Kansas City Wizards new Stadium

[​IMG]

The idea is simple...There aren't that many Mexicans in Kansas City, nor is really that close to any major city where they are really prominent. I think that the MidWest has a strong enough soccer following to make it a great pro-USA atmosphere, especially with the Outlaws HQ being close. This is going to be a great venue for us in the future

7. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was thinking about this very topic. Columbus may be the best venue due to the psychological edge...
    ... but do we really want to wait until we lose until we change the venue? Isn't that a little too late?

I was thinking Philly, Portland, Kansas City could be alternatives as long as we keep to "Cold War" tactics that made the first Guerra Fria successful:

1) Sell the tickets to MLS season ticket holders first and foremost.
    2) Go to local high schools and colleges in the area and sell them in bulk.(Keeping in mind what kind of demographic you are going into in each neighborhood.)

I would like to add...
    3) Promote the game in English as much as possible before it goes on sale to the public.
    4) Force people to purchase MLS tickets to go along with this match if they are not season ticket holders.
    5) Ban Green clothing at the stadium and tell everyone to wear red.

I know these are controversial or not likely but I can dream can't I?

8. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On #1, I believe USSF should release supporters tickets 1 month in advance of normal sales and see how many supporters buy tix. Basically there could be epic sized sections formed if USSF based ticket sales on a supporters first basis

#2 Colleges only, younger students after a few weeks

#3 Yes
    #4 No, people travel for this game and will not be returning to the town, however if you opened it up to any MLS/USSF-2 match across the country then it could work
    #5 YES

9. GOREVS3000

GOREVS3000 Moderator
    Staff Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Sep 18, 2006
    Boston
    Club:
    2 de Mayo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus

This shouldn't even be up for discussion. We play a meaningful game against Mexico and we get to choose the venue we play it in Columbus.

10. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The more I think about it the more I think Portland should be the place.

With the size of the stadium... ...You could probably sellout the place by selling the tickets to Timbers supporters and Sounders supporters before even putting up the tickets for the general public.

11. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

Well it does not have to be the MLS team in that stadium. It could be your local MLS team. Maybe some kind of MLS voucher you can use anywhere.

OR another alternative could be mandatory purchasing of another USA Home soccer match.

12. blou

blou New Member

Oct 25, 2008
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus

13. BringSoccerToIndy

May 24, 2008
    1001 West New York Street, Indianapolis, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Columbus is the only place for USA-Mexico WCQ. Perfect in every way!

14. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3) Because Mexicans living in the USA can't read or speak English.
    5) I don't even know where to begin.

Please tell me you're joking.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except you'd have a shitload of people selling the tickets on BigSoccer, eBay, or elsewhere. Then again, does US Soccer really care as long as the ticket is sold? Probably not.

16. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    In recent years, the Chargers have done something similar for home games against the Raiders in an obvious attempt to limit the amount of Raider fans in Qualcomm. I'm not positive, but you had to purchase individual game tickets to at least a few other games on top of the SD-Oak game. Not sure if it has worked but its definitely worth a shot

17. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    3) You are missing the point. It has nothing to do with the Mexicans. I think US soccer can do a better job of advertising in English which more than likely will help bring a buzz to the game for people who are pro- American.

5) Please begin, I am not joking.

18. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It happens in American sports all the time in order to prevent road advantages at home. The Arizona Cardinals for instance forced people who bought tickets for the Cowboys game to also buy other games during the season.

For years the Whitesox forced fans to buy other Interleague games if they wanted to see the Cubs.

I think it would be a great idea and would help our pro-USA crowds in soccer.

Is a Mexican fan really going to pay their hard earned money for a USA-Mex match if they also are obligated to pay for a USA-Trinidad & Tobago match or a Portland Timber-Kansas City Wizard match?

Makes them at least think twice.

19. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    yes, of course they will. in my experiences in Columbus and other US cities. the Mexican supporters travel far and wide to see their team play. if they spend hundreds of dollars on air/car/train/bus/gas fare as well as money on a hotel all to see their play one match you think a $30 ticket to a second match would stop them?

20. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But being forced to purchase mutiple tickets for games they will not attend (or even care about) may make some of them think twice...

.... and during that time others may gobble up the tickets who are Pro USA and Pro MLS.

And BTW, I know a lot of Mexican fans here in Chicago who would not buy tickets for the game if they had to also buy USA - Trinidad and Tobago tickets too halfway across the country.

21. Roach

Roach Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking about this the other day... I wonder if the USSF would offer the American Outlaws & Sam's Army an unlimited allotment of tickets to be for sale at least two months ahead of the match or before they go on sale to general public. Let the local chapters/ brigades advertize the crap out of it.

It just seems that at the moment (post WC2010) that AO and SA may have some momentum. If the local chapters/ brigades can keep or capitalize that momentum, then I could definitely see a huge pro-USA crowd.

22. USAClash

USAClash Member

Feb 9, 1999
    Portland!

The only reason to keep the match in Columbus is the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. It was put there in the first place because it was the first SSS and the only one in 2001. Now there are more SSSs and ones with much better season ticket holder bases to sell the tickets to. That's the single most important factor in gaining a homefield advantage vs Mexico. You've got to have an MLS season ticket base to sell the tickets to first. While there are Mexico fans that are fans of MLS clubs, I don't think anyone would argue that the percentage of MLS season ticket holders who are Mexican fans is anywhere near the amount who are US supporters.

If the match is in Columbus in 2013, the crowd will be 50/50, with a solid group of Sam's Army and Outlaws numbering close to 5000, but the rest of the crowd will be 50/50 best for the US.

If the match is in Portalnd in 2013, the crowd will be 80/20 pro-US, and in a bigger stadium that CCS. The Timber Army section will provide an atmosphere that will blow previous US/Mex games in Columbus out of the water.

I think a lot of us US supporters have such a soft spot for Columbus in our hearts because the matches there mark the only times we've had any semblance of a pro-US crowd for a Mexico game. The fact of the matter is though that we can do even better. Other issues aside like the weather, Portland will provide a much advantage for the US.

...and I don't want to hear any crap about what the local Mexican population is. We could hold this match in Ireland at Croke Park. 80k Mexican fans will show up for it. Distance doesn't matter. What matters is having a big MLS season ticket base, that is largely pro-US, and makes up a big % of the available tickets. They'll have that in Portland in 2013.

23. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Definitely a good idea but I think the Mexican fans would be more then willing to pay $20 for a year of AO membership if it increased their chances of getting tickets. How sad would it be if there were a bunch of Mexicans in the AO/SA section?

24. ColombieUSA

ColombieUSA New Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You make some great points USA Clash. The Atmosphere would be electric in Portland if Sounders and Timbers fans get first crack at the tickets. (Would have to sit at opposite ends of the stadium though) lol

Portland and Philly to a lesser extent both have advantages that Columbus just can't recreate...

...and that is "Buzz". The new energy, excitement, allure, and curiosity that would be created due to a USA - Mexico event changing venue would be something special, and if advertised correctly could be beneficial for USA soccer in general.

25. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's like going into the Michigan Student Section wearing tOSU colors. While there could be a few, it be a very uncomfortable few and I think they'd not risk instigating something.