Venezuela

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by Sheri, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Sheri

Sheri New Member

May 8, 2005
    Winnipeg, Canada
    So I am thinking of travelling there next... after having been to Peru.
    For those that have toured there... any recommendations especially from those that have been to both countries... which would you say is safer, easier to navigate, ease of communication, etc?
    (cost as well)

Thanks in advance!

2. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    If your kid is a big league ballplayer, I'd skip it.

3. Sheri

Sheri New Member

May 8, 2005
    Winnipeg, Canada
    No... my kid plays with dinosaurs at this point. Sometimes they are thrown.

4. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Now, in all seriousness:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1059.html

I actually had dinner with a coworker from Monterrey, MEX last night who has traveled extensively in Central and South America and he said that he didn't feel safe traveling to Venezuela currently.

5. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Avatar bet for the upcoming series?

6. Sheri

Sheri New Member

May 8, 2005
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Well... perhaps Peru needs a second visit afterall. ;)

Bolivia sounds good and relatively safe for herping as well.

Thanks for the info.

7. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    7/19/05 Wilson Alvarez Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

7/15/05 Cesar Izturis Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

7/8/05 Kelly Wunsch Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right ankle.

Ricky Ledee Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

7/5/05 Odalis Perez Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

Cesar Izturis Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to July 1, with a strained hamstring.

7/4/05 Paul Bako Transferred from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list.

J.D. Drew Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a broken left wrist.

6/15/05 Elmer Dessens Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

Eric Gagne Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow sprain.

6/7/05 Jason Grabowski Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

Ricky Ledee Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to June 5, with a strained left hamstring.

6/6/05 Wilson Alvarez Placed on 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 31, with a left shoulder impingement.

6/3/05 Milton Bradley Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a torn ligament at the base of his right ring finger.

5/27/05 Paul Bako Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left knee ligament.

5/25/05 Jayson Werth Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

5/23/05 Jose Valentin Transferred from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list.

Odalis Perez Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to May 15, with an inflamed left shoulder.

5/18/05 Jason Grabowski Placed on the 15-day disabled list.

5/14/05 Eric Gagne Activated from the 15-day disabled list.

5/4/05 Jose Valentin Placed on the 15-day disabled list with torn ligaments in his right knee.

4/24/05 Elmer Dessens Placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 20, with bone spur in his pitching shoulder.

4/10/05 Antonio Perez Placed on the 15-day disabled list with a strained hamstring.

4/2/05 Jayson Werth Placed on the 15-day disabled list.

Wilson Alvarez Placed on the 15-day disabled list.

Brad Penny Placed on the 15-day disabled list.

Eric Gagne Placed on the 15-day disabled list.

Darren Dreifort Placed on the 60-day disabled list.

8. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not Peru!

Go to Chile! :D

And visit San Pedro.

9. tcmahoney

tcmahoney New Member

Feb 14, 1999
    Metronatural
    And the bunnies there have pancakes on their heads!

Wow ... Venezuela really does seem like a dangerous place.

10. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ask elsewhere and don't listen to US official advices.

I could bet Venezuela has become particularly dangerous for tourists (as if it was really different then elsewhere in s. america) since Chavez started pissing off Uncle Sam.

Anyway it is not in the list of current warnings.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

I could suggest Norway but

SAFETY AND SECURITY: Norway remains largely free of terrorist incidents. However, like other countries in the Schengen area, Norway’s open borders with its Western European neighbors allow the possibility of terrorist groups entering/exiting the country with anonymity. The U.S. government remains deeply concerned about the heightened threat of terrorist attacks against U.S. citizens and interests abroad. Norway was among a list of countries that al-Qa’ida named as legitimate targets in 2003 and 2004. In the post-9/11 environment, Norway shares with the rest of the world an increased threat of international Islamic terrorism.

No, too dangerous.

Maybe Italy?

SAFETY/SECURITY: There have been occasional episodes of politically motivated violence in Italy, most often connected to Italian internal developments or social issues. At various times, Italian authorities have found bombs outside public buildings, have received bomb threats and were subjects of letter bombs. Firebombs or Molotov cocktails have been thrown at buildings or offices in the middle of the night. These incidents have all been attributed to organized crime or anarchist movements. Americans were not targeted or injured in these instances.

Demonstrations may have an anti-American character. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful have the potential to turn into confrontational situations and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Italy should take common sense precautions and follow news reports carefully in order to avoid demonstrations and to be aware of heightened security and potential delays when they occur.

Italy remains largely free of terrorist incidents. However, like other countries in the Schengen area, Italy’s open borders with its Western European neighbors allow the possibility of terrorist groups entering/exiting the country with anonymity.

Wow, US travel state.gov... are you a bit paranoid? it's fvcking italy the eldorado of tourists...

Bottom line is, don't base your decision on what this site says. Go to some real travel site and ask there.

11. minax

minax New Member

May 11, 2005
    Sweden
    It all depends on where you go and what you do. Waving a big wallet around in certain areas isnt good no matter where you are in the world. I do have a good travel guide and according to this Venezuela isnt worse or better then Peru really. And Peru wasnt too bad was it Sheri? ;)

12. Sheri

Sheri New Member

May 8, 2005
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Well, Peru was better than good. But I have heard that Venezuela is a little more dangerous in terms of political unrest and potential terrorism - a little different than risking being robbed which was the pretty much the only concern in Peru, aside from certain airport staff. :D

I'm still good to go though, you just let me know when. ;) Though I would really, really like to see Brazil... geniculatas would be almost as cool to see as apophysis... and there are many more than that there too.

13. minax

minax New Member

May 11, 2005
    Sweden
    Both countries had their share in political instability but for now it seems rather stable for those countries anyway.
    Sure Im game for Brazil :)