Venezuela Expels Israeli Ambassador Over Gaza Strikes

Discussion in 'International News' started by Rostam, Jan 6, 2009.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Ah yes, Sac State - the jewel of California's public school system. Take that, Fullerton!

2. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Bourgeoisie? FFS, did you just take a global survey of Marxist thought from the Cuban janitor who sweeps your Rocks for Jocks classroom at GED University? I'm not even sure Lenin used this much jargon. Although I do know one term that's very useful in this conversation - useful idiot.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder what kind of reward iran promised chavez if he took this action?

4. Jorge Amnesia

Jorge Amnesia Member+

Dec 9, 2008
    Pie in the face. Funny. Your comic genius almost masks your idiocy. La Piedad is the city in mexico which im from, pastries don't have anything to do with my username.

5. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Contrary to what the Iranian here thinks, I actually like Iran. I would even say that I dont hate the Iranian president. However, to answer the question what Iran promised Venezuela, I think maybe nothing, Chavez just wants the U.S to comment on his action to keep selling the Venezuelan people the BS that the yankees want to control Latin America.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...which brings us back around to Ahmadinejad and Chavez.

(I've never been accused of being a Fox News viewer and since it was being done to all the cool kids, I wanted to join in.)

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that'll do on mocking user names and university quality - picking apart an argument is always better here on BigSoccer than attacking the person making the post.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am glad that you like Iran and have not fallen for the propaganda against Iran as much. But to get to your main point:

The "BS that the yankees want to control Latin America" is BS and it is not.

It is "BS" in the more simplistic formulations that are often offered by leftist and Marxist groups. I will skip over that for now, except to note that not everything the United States does can fit a Marxist-Leninist framework or conception. Indeed, the latter is the source of a lot of fiction about what motivates America's actions.

But it is not "BS" to recognize that the United States, and powerful elements within its foreign policy establishment, are committed for a variety of reasons to retaining for the United States its self-appointed role as the "leader of the (so-called) free world". Except for isolationists in America, the rest are all committed to that idea, even if their agenda for what the US should do as this "leader" may differ.

This idea, even in its more benign formulations, is ultimately imperialistic and not very benign at all. In some other formulations, which are quite significant and influential as well, the idea encourages a kind of imperialism that has the potential to even put the Nazis to shame. And that is not really much of an overstatement, even if it might appear that way.

There is enough room in the current context of American policies for those in Latin America to tackle and try to reform some of the problems in their societies without assuming an overtly anti-American posture. In some of those efforts, the United States may even offer a helping hand. But there are limits to the freedom of maneuver for any of these countries, and none will be spared being subjected to attempts to de-legitimize their rulers and more overt attempts to unseat them, if they cross the line.

Expediency may suggest that its better for countries in Latin America not to challenge the US in those things that constitute its "red lines', and to concentrate on working with it instead. There are benefits to that course of action and I will not deny it. But those who are influenced by principle, by notions of "right" and "wrong", and those leaders who (whether committed to those principles or merely interested in ridiing to power by claiming them), cannot ignore a lot that is wrong about what America does around the world. While in the past, those wrongs included a history of racism, most clearly against those of African ancestory within and without, today the object of that racism has changed or taken new focus. And the arena to find those wrongs has concentrated in one place above all others: in the Middle East.

There is no clearer case of "right" and "wrong" in what is being done as part of United States foreign policy, then what it does in the Middle East more generally, and with respect to the issue of Palestine and Israel more specifically. Any person who is influenced by issues of principle, or any that wants to ride or clinge to power on the back of the constituency that exists around them, cannot ignore America's most damning vulnerability. Today, that is where it is found: In Palestine and with regard to Israel.
    You can argue that Chavez is motivated by power and not principle in the stance he takes on the issue, but you cannot deny that he has chosen America's greatest vulnerability. The one that, in my opinion, will ultimately sink its empire.

9. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Well I take that back, the "BS that the U.S" wants to control Latin America. Many countries want to control Latin America. The thing is, no country can. This isnt the cold war era. What Chavez does is counterproductive.

The BEST way to keep U.S out of Latin America is to strengthen democracy, not to hold power indefinitely. Also, Latin America as a whole should not take sides in any issue outside Latin America. Taking sides has blowback that comes to haunt our nations later.

10. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    You're just a bourgeoisie oligarch; you don't get it. ;)

11. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    This was a great post. I think we would probably disagree on the economic prescriptions that would be most helpful in Latin America, but I think that debate largely misses the point. The corruption in government, from the top, down to the patrol cop in a small town, is one of the 2 big problems. The other one is poor and middle class latin americans looking to ideologies (left and right) to solve their economic problems overnight. The massive swings of approval and disapproval for leaders throughout most of latin america is killing the continent. The people seem to need to believe that the next candidate coming along will solve all of their problems toot sweet. So the politicians promise what they clearly can't deliver. then the disappointment sets in, then the coup (especially in earlier years), or the impeachment or the strikes or whatever.

No one is making life good for the Lima street kid any time in the near future. What is needed is a plan for sustained growth and a massive effort to stop courruption. I love Latin america. I love the people and the culture. I think we Americans have a lot to learn from latin america. But it's time for Latin America to wake up from its 500 year funk.

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nahh, we have Louisiana, Illinois and New Jersey. Plenty good, honest hard-working Made-in-America corruption

13. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    This is funny stuff. I think it's about 500 years ago that they began to learn Spanish.

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Exactly, much of latin america has not emerged from the cacique culture that Spain brought to it all those years ago.

15. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    It's funny, but I have found in Latin America, despite the greater de jure oppression, and the poverty, that in some ways people live freer lives than many americans do. I think there are all kinds of social pressures on Americans that makes many work more than they actually need to and to behave in more "socially acceptable" ways rather than being themselves. That's what I think we can learn.

16. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    What countries have you visited?

Anyways, true, most Latin American countries are corrupt but not all, Chile is one of the least corrupt countries in the Americas, not just Latin America.

And the massive swings of approval are common not just in L.American, but worldwide. The problem is people, like Chavez who sell people the lies that everyone else is out to get them. As a result, he hangs on to power for far too long.

17. Sevilla_FC

Sevilla_FC New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    *SIGH* After all, this is Chavedinejad we are talking about here.

18. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I have been to your country, saw U de chile beat Cobreloa 2-1. Chile is clearly an exception to the governmental corruption model. (It's different from most of the rest of latin america in so many ways). And it's also clearly an exception to the massive swings in ideologies nowadays (since Pinochet).

However, the massive swings in governmental ideology that you see in latin america (outside the southern cone perhaps) is just not as common as in, for example, the united states, canada most of europe, the far east, the indian subcontinent, and others.

19. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    But this, on the other hand, is entirely common throughout the world.

20. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    But not everyone succeeds in remaining in power for decades, as Chavez wants to.

21. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would have been the Hindenburg Disaster, right ? ;)

22. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but I am willing to bet George W. Bush is counting down the minutes ! As is the rest of the US.

23. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude what is your deal? What am I lying about exactly? You've got some axe to grind against me and I have no idea what it is.

I saw several Jewish businesses in the neighborhood near the Hotel Avila in Caracas where I stayed during the World Social Forum.

24. Jorge Amnesia

Jorge Amnesia Member+

Dec 9, 2008
    Pay no attention to Monday Morning Idiot he seems to have some serious mental and anger issues. And he probably needs to get laid.

25. EstebanLugo

EstebanLugo Member

Mar 18, 2007
    N of your DB
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Who doesn't? :p
    Catholic priests may try to fool people into believing they don't, but do you actually buy it?? :D