veltins at veltins arena?

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by ironduke2010, May 10, 2006.

1. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so, looking through the threads, it looks like budweiser:eek: and bitburger will be the beers of the WC stadia.

since i'll be going to veltins arena in gelsenkirchen, i gotta think veltins beer will be sold at veltins arena. any fc schalke 04 fans out there know anything about this?

for that matter, i hear at schalke games you can only buy beer (and all concessions for that matter) with some veltins electronic money card thing. this sounds like a headache to me....

2. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Well, for the purposes of the World Cup, it is not even called the Veltins Arena, but rather the FIFA World Cup Stadium Gelsenkirchen, so that's problem solved, I guess.

3. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    AGF answered your first question, and yes, Budweiser, along with FIFA, have imposed limits as to how close to the stadium other beers are allowed to be sold (bitburger excluded). Other German breweries are trying to band together to challenge them with regards to the distances.

As for the card, that's not exactly true. Schalke season ticket holders have a Veltins card, and it works as their match ticket (for all matches), an ID card, a parking pass, and a debit card at the stadium. It makes it very convenient for season ticket holders to not have to worry about carrying a wallet to a Schalke game, but it certainly isn't the only way to buy beer, and it won't have anything to do with the World Cup.

4. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ah, the ol' name change game. ok. well, just as long as they don't put budweiser in a bitburger cup and call it bitburger.....

5. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for the answers guys

6. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Actually, the ban for the are around the arenas is a joke though. They tried to have it for 10 kms, which would have basically made Budweiser city out of Hanover (the stadium is like 4 km from the main train station, which is on the other side of the city center). Therefore the city will just ignore the ban along with local breweries and customers.

7. AGF Aarhus

AGF Aarhus Member

Union Berlin
    Apr 7, 2001
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Yeah, I really don't understand how this could ever be enforced. FIFA cannot dictate what is sold on private property across the street from a venue, much less 10 km away. I'm guessing something has been lost in translation here and what this applies to is only street vendors. That's the only explanation that makes any sense.

8. Nerazzuri

Nerazzuri New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    St Louis
    10 km :eek:

I am sure you're right, but I thought I had read somewhere that it was something like 250 meters. either way, it's a joke. have a few more before i head into the stadium, and probably go without until after the game, then get myself a nice alt.

9. Schalkoholic

Schalkoholic Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Siegen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Electronic money = Chipcard
    You can get these cards in the stadium and load it with money at a stand
    Then you can go and buy your Bratwurst and Bier.
    Its easy and much faster than wait for change.
    After the match you can get money left on the card back at the stand where
    you bought.

Btw as far as I know Budweiser will be the beer sold during the world cup
    not Veltins.So I ll have me a Veltins today at the last League match in the
    Veltins Arena SCHALKE ver Stuttgart