Various support groups ...

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by TheDallasPerspective, Oct 13, 2008.

1. All I'm saying is, unless you have reason to think otherwise, give a guy the benefit of the doubt. YES, he needs to wear USMNT gear, or at the least not wear club gear.

But if he's really a n00b or doesn't know better, I don't think getting bitched at will make him want to buy gear ... and it may keep him from coming back at all. At some point, we were all n00bs and needed a little instruction in the ways of soccer fandom.

I say, give him the benefit of the doubt, and suggest he get gear for the next game.

If he's wearing it to be a tool, bitch away. Just don't bitch until you know for sure ... it could lose fans in the long run and I don't think anyone wants that. That's all.

My $0.02.

2. DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Does anyone remember when it was just a few of us crazy idiots singing and going nuts in a small section of the stadium, and how we wished we could get more people to join in?

Well, the more people that join in, it seems - the more disagreements we have.

It's great when your at your club game, in your own SG section, and everyone knows how things are done, and how quickly everyone gets into the groove. In comparison, the cacophony that is what USMNT games have become is just flat out annoying.

We've tried a couple of things to try to keep everyone in synch with the SoCal Brigade, such as limiting the number of drums, but A) It didn't really work, and B) we received lots of complaints from visitors.

Seeing as how other places such as DC are having problems, I guess this issue is pandemic. We just have to A) accept that it's going to be disorganized as compared to club games, and then B) Do what we can to bring everyone together for one game.

My $0.02

3. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now we have pockets of people leading sections (AO/SA/local group) but there is no clear leadership so it makes it hard for people to know who to follow. This is why I suggested that maybe a new independent group of US supporters should form who just work on the in-game stuff and this group would take the lead in the stands wherever the US plays. I think we need to get the people who care about this stuff (or who are creative) together and come up with a plan. Now this would mean local group, SA and AO would have to agree to let them lead but is that really a problem? (maybe it is. I'm a willing sheep as long as we're not chanting something racist or anti-women). If SA/AO/local committee deal with travel, tix, tailgate and fun stuff around the game that's plenty to deal with (believe me!) I think most people will do whatever in the stands if it's clear what to cheer (or hold up, etc.) If this new group can work on some stuff that becomes standards at each game, obviously wherever the team plays people will know what to do. Re tifo, that will change each game and getting the local group to get some volunteers to help could happen (and in most MLS cities this new group could ask for help from the MLS supporters clubs).

I know this means that Revs, DC and NY US fans might have to speak to each other (or Chicago and Dallas fans) but I think (maybe naively) that those who feel passionately about this could find some common ground and work together.

K

4. DirtyDefender

DirtyDefender Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In my experience - AO and SA already work pretty well together - We just wear different colored shirts.

The largest contingent at any game is going to be the local MLS SG. If there's going to be any coordination in the stands - It really needs to be done by them.

But yeah - it's really hard to get Galaxy fans and Chivas USA fans to agree to anything past - "We both support the USMNT".

5. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how it worked at US-Arg and it worked really well, the North Jersey boys did a great job leading everyone and we were all pretty much on the same page for the game. The entire section was GA and everyone was pretty intermixed.

I'm sure it would have been the case for this game, too, but the seating arrangements made it impossible. We were easily 50 yards from the center of the loud parts of the local groups, who sounded like a combination of bass drum beats and a bunch of Charlie Brown's teachers singing. Nothing against them, just the seating made it impossible. Maybe the most important thing that can come out of a committee is working with US Soccer to get the best seating arrangement possible.

I already handle most of the inter-SG relationships for the SoBs and would be more than happy to do the same for the Delaware Valley Infantry, and I know Davey wants to start working together more, as well.

6. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed.

I think it being GA was the most helpful, but that's how we try to do it. I know in Hartford, it's relatively GA, and it's worked when ESC/NJB go up there for USA games.

7. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    Yeah, I agree.
    You need Capo stands and....capos.

8. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    capo stands? you want to shorten strings?

9. njgrouch

njgrouch Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Caroline County VA
    Would anyone equate wearing a club team Jersey to waving a state flag? The MLS is our league and each team comes from a particular region of the US. The state flags just like the MLS teams all fall under one giant US flag. Fifty states one team.

10. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    No.

Not every state had an MLS team. And not every MLS team has supporters who are passionate for the U.S.

Hitching U.S. support to MLS's wagon will bring with it the "baggage" each MLS group carries with them. I can't picture several MLS supporter's groups being able to work with each other if they are wearing their club colors. I can see it happening if those colors are put aside for the red, white, and blue.

11. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen

12. * sigh *

I guess it's an impossible dream .... :(

People who don't want to be united can't be united ... and "uniting" doesn't = "do it this way and then we can all be united."

If, for whatever reason, club colors and emnity can't be overcome for even the half-day of an important USMNT match, we stand no chance of seeing this happen ...

* sigh *

13. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    heh I just looked over our pics and there's one guy wearing black jersey, and it's Barra not DCU one. Think you fellas might need to visit optometrist :D

you should capitalize it :D

14. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc

Really, I can't see it happening because the overwhelming lot of MLS groups do not make it to USMNT games with any noticeable presence - irrespective of whether they are identifying themselves by wearing club gear or not.

15. Question:

If the USSF were to set up Souvenir Booths at USMNT matches ... you know, like you see at any MLS match, only with NT gear ... at the same price as you can get online (maybe a few bucks more since there would be no customer-paid shipping) ...

... would club-gear wearers take advantage and buy some USMNT gear to wear into the stadium?

16. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    the USSF currently has souvenir stands selling USMNT gear at every home match ive been to. the selection is fairly comprehensive: jerseys, scarves, t-shirts, sweatshirts. pretty much the same stuff as the ussoccer.com store. if someone comes to the match with no gear and wants a USMNT shirt they can get one for about $25. i realize thats not cheap, but its pretty standard sports stadium pricing.

17. Wow, I've NEVER seen one! Do they bury those things somewhere or have I just been too drunk to notice it?

Oh well, that answers my question, I guess. Sad that $25 stands between what there is now and movement towards something resembling "unification."

Maybe the USSF can make sure their booth is more widely seen?

18. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    in Carson, CA vs Barbados and Bridgeview, Il vs TnT there were I believe two stands that were in the corners of each stadia. there were also some signs that said something like ussoccer.com store with arrows pointing in the direction. in DC vs Cuba there were at least three stands on the lower concourse, each had signs posted in and outside of the stadium pointing the way.
    i cant attest to your sobriety so youre on your own there ;-) i can say that a lot of times the more 'passionate' supporters tend to come in singing, head to their seats singing and stand and sing the whole match. doesnt really give much time for browsing the concourses.

19. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc
    I have never been to a single home match where they have not had a booth. And save for the match I went to when I was 14, I have never been sober when I've gone in.

20. thethinwhiteduke

Feb 13, 2008
    i find it hard to believe that you were sober at that match when you were 14.

21. Well, if you're more into shopping than supporting the USMNT, that's your decision.

;)

22. Outlaw Ben

Outlaw Ben New Member

Sep 6, 2007

US Soccer changes their policy every game from general to assigned, it is very frustrating. We have sent them numerous emails and talked with them about this.

Please send them another email why you HATE general admission seating.
    http://ussoccer.com/contact/index.jsp_Y.html

in fact this is our new home page

23. rksehga

rksehga New Member

Aug 13, 2002
    nyc

Oh yeah . . . b/c that is a possibility. Maybe it's just that I can read . . .

24. Yeah, we Stanford grads always had trouble with reading. :eek:

Relax, Rish, you've got cred ... don't let the mickey get to ya!

25. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd imagine that is different in different stadiums. Barra kept our 4 front sections during Cuba game as standing GA and back 3 as seating GA (not sure if they ended up siting heh).

So USSF didn't have much say in that, what could they do go check tickets?They were too busy trying to dictate what we can bring in (that went well.. :D)