Various support groups ...

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by TheDallasPerspective, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Just some thoughts on the support groups at the Cuba match ...

All of them were great! BB, SE, SA, AO, DE, Jersey boys! Awesome enthusiasm, voice, and support for the team! Now .. if there was just a way to un-fracture the various groups ...

I get that the groups like what they do and think they're the best ... all the groups are great, and folks in those groups have good reason to believe that theirs is the best. I think mine is the best.

I wonder, though, if there's any good way to, for at least a few times per match, to get everyone on the same page and turn great, but smaller, groups into an awesome and large group with one voice. E pluribus unum and all that junk.

That would mean, for at least these few times per game, that prideful and strong groups use their strong voices to join in with other groups. And, it would need leadership from strong host cities like DC, or from groups traveling into not-so-strong host cities, and being willing to do this.

There are still lots of matches ... strong groups could take turns with the lead ... DE one match, Jersey boys another, AO another, SA another, etc. ... and we could see which one "sticks."

The work that each individual group does is great, and if we (as the family of SGs) want to do something to begin to move towards one voice, great.

But if we (as the family of SGs) decide that we like the cacophony that all the individual groups create, great. Either way, the USMNT is supported and that's what we're all really trying to do.

I guess any coordination depends on each individual group ... if they're willing to take the lead for (say) one match and let others have the lead for other matches, this coordination could happen. If a group, great and prideful as they are, try to "take over" any match, this coordination will never happen ... all groups are too good and too prideful for that. That's not a bad thing, cacophony supports the team, too ... but it's just not a coordinated thing.

Then again, maybe we're trying to coordinate something that's un-coordinate-able.

My $0.02.

2. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There looked to me like two very distict groups making the noise. The far right held down by what i assume were Barra Brava people, and the far left held down by New York/New Jersey and some other various traveling fans from the area. (NE, Columbus, Delware, Philly,etc.)

Thing is neither group could hear the other across the void known as the Screaming Eagles. We tried to key in on what what coming from the right during the first half but could only make out the baselines. In the second half we just decided to commendeer a bass drum of our own and just started doing our own thing.

Personally i think if the center group had done a better job singing then they could have made it eaiser for each group on their flanks to get a stadium wide song going.

Either way we had a blast over on the left.

The only things i didn't enjoy about the whole experiance were:

1. The dude from i think Ohio behind me calling Brian Ching a "chink" in front of my asian-american friend; and

2. The loser decked out in full DC United gear that took the Donovan star from the opening Tifo that wrote p*ssy and wanker on it and holding it up for like 20 minutes. That guy almost got his ass beat.

3. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i was waiting for this to come up.
    while we all had a great time at the game Saturday....
    our supporting sections were very fractured, mostly by the
    seating arrangement for one.
    We (the borough boys/ AO NYC) were only about 30 feet from NJ/NY guys,
    and we could barely hear them (because of the distance).
    We would try to follow along with them, but it didn't quite work out.
    We ended up singing our own songs, trying to get the people around us
    (who mostly were just standing their quietly) to get into the game.
    I didn't realize that the area in front of us was Screaming Eagles.
    I could hear Barra Brava boys all the way to the left, but there was a whole lot of quiet in the SE section.

Secondly..... and i'm not calling anyone out.... but what's with the club gear at the game?
    To sum it up, one of the Tifo guys for screaming eagles was walking by as
    we were yelling "country over club" because of a club banner we saw,
    he tried to correct us by saying.. "no, man...it's club over country"
    What a wanker.

4. FCDallasAddie

FCDallasAddie Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Dallas, Tx
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that everyone isnt intoxicated anymore .....your friend misheard him completely!!!! I tried to calm him down but he refused to listen to the fact that he never, ever used the word "chink". Unfortunately it had to do with the Dallas/Houston rivalry that should have been left in Dallas. Ching is referred by some in Dallas as "Ching-gina" as in vagina. Not sure how else to make your friend understand. Either way thats why I completely agree with the fact that you come to these particular games for country not club so leave it behind!!!!

5. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very fractured. Tried our best to link up as best as we could with DVI, NE people, Rishi's group, etc, sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

I had no idea that SE were to the left of us. I saw BB to the far left of us, too.

Welcome to a US qualifier (especially in DC). Some fans understand, some fans don't. Judging by your guys and from what I saw, you understand what the whole day was about. And at the next qualifier, I'm sure you guys will carry/conduct yourselves similarly, as did the rest of the ESC/NJB types, the NE guys that I talk to, and the DVI guys that I had the pleasure in meeting.

SPQR.

6. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    +1 on both things.

The seating was an issue from the get go. Once again this comes down to General Admission. Our NY/NJ group got inside the stadium and occupied several rows of seats close to the field as no one else was there. Later on, a group of 20-25 people came and wiped us out of the first 2-3 rows because they were "their" seats.

We really need to get these stadiums on board with General Admission. That or we need to re-evaluate sections.

A Pro US section with those who want to sit and do an occasional chant. But there needs to be an area for US supporters that is kind of no holds barred. That's something we need. Weed out all the non hardcores and let those that want to provide that kind of atmosphere go about and do that.

And to the club gear... I have no problem with those wearing a scarf of their local club or group, but a jersey is a bit much. Or just make a Pro US scarf with your local club supporters club name on it.

7. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I hate to see the club gear to but its going to happen - I didnt mind so much the people with the Nats jerseys on and like a hat or a scarf of their club - but there were people full decked out in club gear - but hey - its going to happen. I also dont mind seeing a flag here and there for pictures - ya know!

Ya know what - at the end of hte day the OP is right - if we can find a way to make sure we are all screaming the same song - imagine what it would sound like! Also would love to see the last 15 minutes be ooooh USA at every match - no matter what coast its on!

Thanks to everyone around us for making our experience nice and im sorry to the person who was right in front of me because im sure i spit on him a few times with my singing - :D - PS - I think I broke a chair at RFK and im taking that as a sign I need to hit the bike a bit more!

8. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah... we had people telling us to not stand on the chairs because
    they couldn't see.... lol...

9. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nick, stand on the armrests, not the seat itself.

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The section behind us, by the looks of it, just stood up to correct their view of the game. At times they were into it (I'm not speaking to DVI or Rishi's group, they were fine), some were pogo-ing, some singing, some watching. Section to our right (closer to the corner flag) all stood up.

Definitely better than nuthin'.

11. wgoood2

wgoood2 New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also i dont understand why the dc groups choose to do their own thing and not try to include the other fans in the chants going on. Also there were to many drums going on in the sections. it drowned out their voices and it made it impossible to pick up on any chants. And the dc united jerseys really pissed me off. Is it really that hard to get some national team gear. T shirts are about $20 on the website.

12. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it was weird, because the entire rows directly behind us we're all standing...
    they were just kind of quiet...
    i just wish we could have all been more compact.
    Imagine all of us in unison.

13. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC aren't the only people who do that.

14. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya.... Liverpool fans too...jesus how many of those were there :p

15. Onion41

Onion41 Member

Jun 13, 2007
    The Glass Factory
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was on the far right with the DVI...I was standing on the chair about half way through the section right where the smoke came up in the first half....trying to pick up the song/chant from the front. You guys were doing a great job but reading lips isn't my specialty....we were just too far apart....when i could feed off of your energy and figure out what was being sung...i passed it down the line...when that all happened it was amazing. My only wish is that we could've been not so spread out. But it was great to meet some of the guys from other groups. Looking forward to the next match when we can do it all over again.

16. Yeah! I wonder if people just think, hey, I'm going to a soccer match, I'll wear my soccer jersey!

:D

17. JayDelight729

JayDelight729 Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Section 101
    Those gate barriers didn't help matters. The sections only went 10-12 rows. At a bigger football stadium such as in Giants Stadium, Foxborough, or the one in Nashville you can put close to a 1,000 people in one section.

At RFK you get about 300 or 400, then a metal barrier, a concourse, and then another section. That caused issues I think as well.

Maybe there was too much drum.

I still think you need a section or two of just hardcore supporters anything goes type seating.

For those who want an occasional chant and to mostly just stand and watch, a section or two away would be better for that.

18. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i guess at least the Liverpool Jersey was Red.....
    i saw a couple Chelsea Jersey's, Celtic, Real Madrid...
    whatever....:rolleyes:

19. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is something that will be worked on. That's all I can say for now.

20. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
  21. studzup

studzup New Member

Nov 11, 2007
    Winthrop;Kinsale,IRE
    The fans sounded OK on TV.

They were great during the anthem.

I didn't like the "dale" and "o, le, le; o, la, la" chants. I don't want to precipitate a piss-fest on multiculturalism but this isn't Argentina. (By the way, o,le,le is Brazilian but the Argies stole it about twenty-five years ago).

"America, The Beautiful" on trumpet got old fast.

"Ole, ole, ole, ola" needs to have its number retired. In fact, I find it hard to take seriously any cheering section that sings it.

The shot of one of the guys playing the drums was sad; his technique was terrible and he appeared nervous. Drum kits and cowbells are not necessary.

I often get the impression that the fans are trying too hard. Go easier on yourselves and take some breaks. You deserve it.

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    club>country>gnats>donovan :D

club over country doesn't have much to do with national team support quality (ie Croatia)

23. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    So you weren't there, but you still found the time to diss people for trying. good job man. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Who cares what country started what chant, as long as it loud. I mean, "OMG, England invented the game, why not just let them win every game!"

24. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cuz they'd still find a way to f*** it up.

They're great at being opium traders. They'd win that cup easily.