Vargas out, Leonard in

Discussion in 'Bolton Wanderers' started by Prenn, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,44-1106204,00.html

Jorge Vargas failed to win a contract but Big Sam has now brought in Belgian defender Phillipe Leonard on trial. Vargas is not mentioned in the Sky Sports report but the rumours are that he wouldn't be fit for Premiership football until january, a bit late.

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    Rumour that Filepescu (Real Betis) is on trial as well - any thoughts as to how Sam is thinking about the new defensive signing? Does he really want an out-of-contract defender before the window reopens or is he just bringing these guys in on trial on the hopes that they turn out to be perfect and fit?

Tough call - would hate to spend the funds on the best of the out-of-contracts if Charlie can keep up the good work (just get nervous that his "positional" defending will bite him the ass eventually) - would be better to wait until the window opens, but then again Thome is already on three yellows - what do you lot think?

5. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At present it would be best to get an out of contract defender, especially given that we wouldn't really be able to afford anyone when the transfer window opens anyway.

So far Charlie's looked good at CB but I do worry about his height and the fact that if he or Thome end up injured we have no viable CB's (for the love god not Bruno!!) I hoped one of these trialists is good enough and just as important, fit enough, to play.

I think we should keep going with the trialists but avoid being forced into a panic buy, though that's not something Sam's likely to do, I think he'd play himself before that.

6. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    I think you are right Prenn - that's how I see it as well

What scares me at the moment is the talk of Nolan taking away Youri's spot just behind Davies in front of the midfielders - Nolan's workrate agains Villa and all season has been horrible

Off topic - does anybody know if the kick-off next weeks is going to be moved forward - the Police did that last year at the last minute because of fan violence concerns - anybody hear anything

7. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think KO will be 3pm, I'm banking on it because I'm working until 2...

I think Nolan's big problem is that he's become relatively slow and cumbersome, I don't know if he's trying to too much or what but he's certainly looking out of sorts a lot of the time. What I have noticed about Nolan's game is that he's become far more skilful and creative since Youri and Jay Jay arrived and I feel if he was put into youri's position and fewer defensive duties he may just shine...