Vanney to DC - Bye Bye Erpfu

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by jason1551, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Re: Vanney to DC?!

And I will say this as well - Namoff is the veteran on the backline and he is still a young pup. This trade may not be about improving our backline via Vanney, but rather Vanney upgrading Boswell thereby upgrading our backline.

2. scruggs45

scruggs45 Member

Jun 25, 2003
    kp, va

i dont now how anybody could be convinced that that someone is vanney after last nights match...

3. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA

Exactly. Rep coming.

4. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.

And if you watched the first few DC matches in isolation you would certainly say it wasn't Erpen. Players have bad games. If you had said, have you watched Colorado's games this year - he has sucked.

In fact, the only other Colorado game I watched I saw Vanney and that defense kick our ass with the exception of one cross.

5. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

I will say that Vanney is a hair upgrade over the Erpen mullet. Those years in France brought him home with some nice hair.

6. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You skipped Rimando...

7. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Confirmed by Colorado:

8. 1MADDOG

1MADDOG New Member

Aug 15, 2000
    DC

The backline needs leadership. Erpen, or any of our current defenders, do not have that ability. Other DC defenders play it safe, but Erpen is alittle sloppy with his play.

However, when leadership is on the backline, Erpen is our top defender. When Nelson was here, Erpen wasn't as careless, and that continued until the voice of Nelson finally faded completely, long after his departure from DC.

Erpen is our most gifted defender, but he needs to be told what to do. His ball controll is significantly better then the average MLS defender.

We need leadership in the backline, but not at the expense of Erpen.

9. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this sucks. we're robbed.

10. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill

When did Erpen and Nelsen play together?

11. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA

You now have Noah on your basketball team and Vanney on your soccer team. :D

12. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

Damn it... Erpen is one of my favorites... f'k... Hate to see him go... :mad: :(

13. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002

Erpen and Nelsen never played together...

14. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United

3 to 1 it's Carroll Alpha

15. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City

Who is this Nelson of which you speak. He was NOT on the team at any point in the 2005 season (otehr than a small training session when the EPL ended) and Erpen didn't show up until later that year.

Most gifted defender? Right now that is Boswell. And, lately, that isn't say too much.

16. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia

I give you four nominees:

Jaime Moreno - (already entered in the primaries earlier this season)
    Josh Gros - (people will focus on his errors while learning a new position)
    Christian Gomez - (what, he's not having another MVP season?)
    Greg Vanney - (because he replaced the latest whipping boy;) )

17. BigWave

BigWave New Member

Nov 1, 2006
    Charlottesville
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So has anybody heard what perecntage of Vanney's salary Colorado will be paying for the rest of the year? Vanney makes a lot, so hopefully he only remains with United for the remeinder of the season unless he's willing to take a paycut. Also, so we still have the rights to Jay Needham? He's been getting some pretty solid minutes playing for Puerto Rico in their central defense. If we do let go of Vanney after the season, signing Needham would free up some cap room and allow us the financial flexibility to sign an SI wingback/winger.

18. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The official press release just arrived:

News Release
    For Immediate Release - June 29, 2007

D.C. United acquire Greg Vanney in exchange for Facundo Erpen

Washington, D.C. (June 29, 2007) - D.C. United announced today the club has acquired defender Gregy Vanney from the Colorado Rapids for defender Facundo Erpen. Vanney, 33, played the full match for Colorado in United’s 4-1 victory over the Rapids last night at RFK Stadium.

“We are very excited to be getting such an experienced player who has succeeded at the MLS, French Ligue 1 and U.S. National Team levels,” said United Technical Director Dave Kasper. “Greg will provide strong leadership to our back line and we expect a fast and smooth transition for him into our team.”

A U.S. international, Vanney has nine years of MLS experience. He joined the Rapids in January 2007 in a trade with FC Dallas and made nine appearances (all starts) this season. Prior to joining Colorado, the Tempe, Arizona native spent two years with FC Dallas, where he made 53 appearances (all starts) and totaling a goal and three assists. From 2002-2005, Vanney was a member of FC Bastia of the French First Division. While with Bastia, he made over 60 appearances and helped the team into the French League Cup final.

Vanney’s first stint in MLS began with the Los Angeles Galaxy where he played from 1996-2001. While in LA, he made a total of 168 appearances (158 starts), notching 21 goals and 19 assists. Throughout his entire MLS career, he has played in 30 playoff games (29 starts), totaling five goals and six assists. Vanney is a three-time MLS All-Star (2000, ’05 & ’06) and was twice named to the MLS Best XI (2000 & ’01).

Additionally, Vanney has had an extensive career with the U.S. Men’s National Team, earning 37 total appearances. He was selected to the 2002 World Cup squad, but suffered a knee injury a month prior to the tournament and was unable to participate. He made his National Team debut on December 12, 1996 in a World Cup qualifying match versus Guatemala.

Vanney began his collegiate career at Florida International University in 1992, before transferring to UCLA the following year. He was an honorable mention All-American at UCLA in 1995.

“On behalf of the organization, I would like to thank Facundo for all of his contributions during the past two years,” added Kasper. “We wish him and his family the best of luck in the future.”

Erpen was originally signed by United on August 5, 2005 as a youth international. Over his three seasons with the club he made 49 appearances (all starts) and collected four goals and four assists. He made five total playoff appearances (all starts) and was named as an All-Star in 2006. Prior to his MLS career, Erpen spent time with Talleres de Cordoba (2000-2005) and with Club Juventud Unida de Entre Rios and the youth teams of Boca Juniors (1999-00).

Broadcasting and P.A. Request: When speaking of the organization, please refer to the team as either “D.C. United” or “United,” but not “the D.C. United” or “the United.” We appreciate your cooperation.
    --- www.dcunited.com ---

19. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD

Everyone's a critic...

For those of us who were posting in the wee hours, Goff had merely two or three sentences on the blog. If you were reading at 11:50 this morning (and then posting a snarky comment here two minutes later), you received a significant bit of information.

So, maybe you could take a look at the timing of the thread before slagging-off those posting to the thread.

20. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

This sucks - I know this isn't about Erpen for Vanney but about freeing up a valuable Youth International slot - But it still sucks

I guess the the team was looking at getting another International player and looked around the team at who of our Internationals was the at the bottom and especially a Youth International who would be a Senior International next year - That made it Erpen - And if you're going to trade away a Defender you might as well get a Defender in return - The only good thing is that this won't come back to haunt us later in the year - Its unlikely Colorado will make a significant run into the playoffs, and if it does improve them, maybe they'll get some wins from Dallas or Houston and help us indirectly for the Supporters Shield

But it still sucks - The team better sign a really good YOUNG international player to make this worthwhile

But it still sucks

21. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ditto. :(

22. Blondie4DCU

Blondie4DCU New Member

Aug 25, 2005
    DC

This makes me sad.

Damn all the 'logical' reasons for this trade. I'm a woman and therefore do NOT tie myself down by caring about what makes sense.

I like Erp-fu. I don't want to lose Erp-fu for some dude named 'Vanney'.

:(

23. BroonAleMagpie

BroonAleMagpie New Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Fairfax, VA

My comments rarely have to do with what players are like personally; I meet very few of them, and their personality, be it nice or nasty, has only limited relevance to their play.

When I talk about Erpen's arrogance, I mean his willingness to put himself out of position, perhaps disastrously, in order to make a showy play. I mean his frequent flashy moves that generally end up with him on the ground and an opposing player racing in on the goal where the keeper now has to deal with him one on one, instead of with the support of what had been the last defender anywhere near the play. I mean his tendency to let the defense of the team's goal, which should be his first priority as a defender, take the back seat to his antics. I mean his putting himself before the team.

Other players make sloppy mistakes, bad passes, slip on the turf, time a tackle poorly...these are all things that are either a matter of bad luck or that can be fixed through training. When Erpen does one of those things, I wince, but I realise they could happen to anyone. But when he pulls one of his patented "Hey, lookie what I can do!" moves and it leaves him injured or carded or forces one of the other players to have to cover for him in a situation where they shouldn't have to, or, worst of all, leaves us with the ball in the back of our net, I frequently wish that the DCU FO would just pull the trigger and find this guy a new job.

And Dave Kaspar and Tom Soehn just made my week by doing that very thing. :)

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If there is not another move in the works, this is an awful trade. Vanney is NOT an upgrade. Period.

25. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Prideaux allowed DC to score off of a corner. I think he wins it by default.