Vanney should never play for USA again

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by okcomputer, Sep 8, 2005.

1. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    This guy is terrible. He is too slow and some of the passes he makes remind me of watching high school soccer. He kicks the ball to nowhere all the time. Watching him last night, I almost felt bad for the guy he was so overmatched out there. What could Bruce possibly see in this guy to keep giving him so many chances? Give Burciaga or Dunivant a chance at left back. They cant possibly be any worse than him.

2. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I wouldn't go that far. Vanney has done his best for the USMNT and for that we should all be grateful for his efforts. That being said I expect Lewis and/or Boca/Gibbs and/or Spector to displace him from the USMNT. So though his contributions have been admirable, his time has passed.

3. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And no Albright while your at it. Both were god awful.

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    We've all known these things for a while.

5. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sucks that Vanney and Albright gave up so many goals last night. :rolleyes:

6. CK

CK Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Southeast
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious. How many caps does Vanney have and when did he get his first cap?

7. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "International:
    A U.S. national team veteran, has earned at least one appearance with the U.S. every year since 1996…Has 32 career caps with the national team, making his debut as a substitute in a 2-2 draw against Guatemala in San Salvador during a key World Cup qualifying match in 1996…Set to replace the injured Chris Armas on the World Cup roster in 2002, he suffered an MCL sprain against Jamaica on May 16, 2002, and was unable to travel to Korea…Also is a former member of U-20 and U-17 national teams."

FC Dallas site

By the way, I'm not calling for Vanney to play for the US. I just don't know why people would be slagging anyone in the defense for last night's game. Especially Albright, who some people on the 'ratings' thread are giving the highest rating.

8. nowherenova

nowherenova Member+

Jul 20, 2003
    Formerly Terminus
    Agreed, but I'm not hatin'

9. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Umm, because some people don't actually understand what they are watching? That said Vanney did look worse than normal yesterday. Albright had one bad moment in the last few moments which probably had an undue affect on some peoples opinons.

10. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    He was caught out of position a few times on defense last night. He gave up 2 dangerous free kicks right outside the 18 in the second half after he was beaten. Lucky for him Guatemala has no offense. For me its more his play going forward and passing ability which are just brutal. I agree his time has passed so lets give someone else a chance out there and see what they can do. We know already what he cant do.

11. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Burciaga doesn't get called. Can he be worse than Vanney? I don't think so.

12. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Hey - we ain't gonna get any mileage from Vanney after this World Cup, so better to use him a little now before he gets really bad. It was completely acceptable to use him in a situation like that, and I'm not sure it's fair to judge any of the guys based on that stink of a game, but yeah, Vanney's days are rapidly coming to an end....

13. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    I agree. Vanney was pretty bad last night, and he has never really shown me anything. I'd rather see Lewis, or Convey, or Gibbs, or Boca, or Frankie, or.... well, you get the point.

14. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    WEre the other 82 threads on this topic so insufficient that we needed a new one?

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    After last night, Vanney has 37 caps, tied with Josh Wolff for 45th among US male players in most caps.

BTW, the FC Dallas quote that had Vanney "making his debut as a substitute in a 2-2 draw against Guatemala in San Salvador during a key World Cup qualifying match in 1996" is not quite accurate.

Yes it was 1996, yes it was vs. Guatemala (played in El Salvador because a stadium in Guatemala had collapsed a few months earlier) and yes it was a WC qualifier. However, it was NOT a "key match" as the US had aleady clinched a place in the 97 Hex by beating Costa Rica at Stanford a week earlier.

With a place in the Hex already clinched, Steve Sampson was able to - stop if this sounds familiar - use an experimental lineup against the Chapines. Besides Vanney, Martin Vasquez got his first cap, at least for the US. Frankie Hejduk, Jason Kreis and Miles Joseph (remember him?) got their second caps. Preki got his fourth and Eddie Pope his fifth, though all 5 were starts and he was already entrecnhed as a starter.

16. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No. Not at all. I think you're making that name up :eek:

17. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I agree that Vanney should really not be invited in again. Just don't see any reason why he'd be there. It would be a catastrophe if he actually saw playing time in the WC.

Even though he is our only left back at the moment, I'd have to go with the following ahead of him (and that's a lot of injuries needed for Vanney to see playing time in the WC):

Gibbs
    Boca
    Spector
    Lewis
    Hejduk
    Albright (yes, really, even though he's right footed)
    JOB

pretty much in that order (JOB is last because he's needed elsewhere). Spector may climb the ladder, but Vanney is currently in 8th place and is only going down unless there are injuries to those above him. He just plain doesn't belong with the MNT anymore.

18. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the only reason vanney would make a final 23 is as designated pk taker...

he'd be in any list of 5 if usa goes to pks...

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You left out Bobby Convey. I'd pick him ahead of Vanney, too.

No need to panic - Greg is WCQ comfort food for Bruce Arena, like Jovan Kirovski & David Regis were in the previous cycle. He ain't WC material and Arena knows it.

20. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a thread to discuss this topic???? It's like starting a thread entitled "The sun will rise in the East tomorrow" and then speculating as to whether Bruce's compass is broken.

21. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wrong forum, this is neither news nor analysis.... it's just too easy and plain to see he does not belong (in too many games already) , but then again, Bruce knows best! :rolleyes: :)

22. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had started another thread about this joker... here were my original comments:

Is Greg Vanney the worst soccer player on the face of the planet???

This guy should never get another look with the National Team... his speed (if he ever had any sort of speed) is gone and he is reduced to being a marginal (at best) central defender (and there are about 92 players i'd rather see at central defense with #92 being Kle Kooiman)... as an outside back, he is a complete disaster (there are about 108 different players i'd rather see at outside back including #108, Steve Pittman)... Vanney tries to demonstrate "composure" on the ball but has nowhere near the ability to be as casual as he appears to be on the ball... please Bruce, no more of this joker...