Vanney a contender for defender of the year?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by profiled, Aug 26, 2006.

1. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I notice you guys aren't very fond of Vanney, yet this piece on the MLSnet awards tracker seems to think he's been solid... Just wondering what you guys thing...

[qoute]Vanney certainly has a shot to move up from this spot, as he has anchored a first-place team's defense all season. He doesn't always stand out, but as a defender, that's not always such a bad thing.[/quote]

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2006/index.jsp?award=defender

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he has had a pretty good year except when he was misplayed at left back. Only recently he has hit a bad spell making some blunders. He may just need a couple games off as the heat seemes to take it's toll more on the older players. Overall each defensive starter is solid but they make communicative goofs on set pieces and long balls and Vanney as the elder statesman back there must take a bigger share of the blame on thtse. It may be a lack of speed on the long balls and Vanney and Moor aren't burners. Yi would help in this regard and maybe set pieces as he is also quite tall. Goodson should be able to help on both of those things but he has been in a mental funk here for over a year nad may need a change of address where he can get a fresh start.

3. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    I wouldn't say that I dislike Vanney. He quietly does his job without much problems except for his gaffe against Donovan.

4. vdawg

vdawg New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    In regards to Landon's goal, Vanney may have been beat initially but it was Sala's mistake by leaving the net. Vanney was making it tough for Landon to get a easy shot off.

5. runningman

runningman Member

Feb 7, 2005
    East Dallas
    Colin Clarke apparently thinks not.

6. vdawg

vdawg New Member

Aug 28, 2006
    Like I care what Colin thinks. Look at what Colin is doing with the team. ahhh NOTHING. Sala has cost them more goals than just that one i.e. the two goals in Chicago that went through his legs.

7. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Sala is not our problem.

8. golkpr76

golkpr76 New Member

Aug 27, 2006
    Dallas TX
    i think there is no comunication in the defence
    i have to admit sala does play a little far out. but if the back line was solid there would have been 2 defenders on donavan.and someone marking whats his nuts who scored the second goal.thats my 2 cents(not that it matters):D

9. Argentina78and86

Argentina78and86 New Member

May 26, 2006

I agree that Clarke isn't doing much with the team, but Sala has saved our butts way more than he has cost us goals. The game in Chicago wasn't his best, but we won that game. Sala has cleaned up a lot of defensive messes (see Vanney vs. Adu.)

I'm not saying that Vanney should be benched, I just don't think this is a Sala vs. Vanney issue. The real problem here is that our offense isn't getting it done, so our coach wants to blame the defense. Sitting Vanney against Kansas City wasn't going to spark an offensive attack. By the way, Vanney and ROB have the same number of goals this year.

10. FCDallas96

FCDallas96 Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/awards/2006/index.jsp?award=defender[/QUOTE]
    Valley's a decent defender but the real problem comes down to his salary. Is he really worth the league max? No but he would be a nice defender at the $100K mark. The biggest problem in the FCD back line is that there isn't a destroyer in the back line. Typically you would like to see one CB step up and destroy plays while the other CB drops back and sweeps up the mess. Moor and Vanney are too similar in the way they play.

11. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well good, cause that's what Vanney is on the books... ~$150. Some allocation money from his signing is holding his money down.

Next season he goes back to max.

12. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean other than being in first place?

Just sayin.