Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Just keeping you guys in the loop

Sources have suggested that both Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich could be interested in the project—another possibility is Werder Bremen, the club has long targeted Canada for potential marketing purposes but also talent development. There have also been suggestions by reliable sources that the Deutsche Fußball Liga (DFL)—the Bundesliga governing body—could be involved directly.

2. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I would like at least one more reputable source on that before thinking its real. I am not sure I like this; if we get a CPL team here in the Lower Mainland it needs to have local owners. Being owned by a team on the other side of the planet won't mean much for engaging the market here.

3. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Based on how the league handled Atletico Ottawa, CPL insists that foreign investors partners with local investors/ownership. For Ottawa, Madrid partnered with Jeff Hunt.

If a Bundesliga club launch in Fraser Valley, the league would most likely expect the same

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    if it were to happen- and i see the potential for a lot of positives- local owners/supporter investors should have at least a 51% ownership of the Club
    a German club isnt doing it to be nice, but instead its to find new digs to develop/discover players that can be nurtured for the big time

it can be a win-win-win if donr properly

do you happen to know what the investment policies are ?

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    As long as there are local owners running the show, I will be optimistic at such a venture

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    tm13 repped this.
  7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  8. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    LOL. 2 people on a boat. She is hot and I'll ask my wife's opinion about him. If 2 people can find happiness together on this screwed up planet then to hell with everything else.

Dude's growing a beard. Hell he wasn't even shaving when he played for us. Ah, the good old days. Cheers to Alphonso & Jordyn.

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ARENT YOU TIRED OF THE CAPS AND MEDIAS SHIT REPORTING ??

i said it wouldnt happen - It’s being reported that Chiquinho’s close to joining Trabzonspor- no way the Caps owners would spring $9 mill on a fringe benfica MF- for once, i agree with their decision- why do media reporters hype these or is it just to fill space ?

and everyone is reporting that deiber caicado is a Whitecap-- i havent read of any signing, but i think this might have some legs as its under a $2 mill transfer range

so far, Axel is batting zero - so much for his connections - if he doesnt bring in a better AMF for around $2-3 mill, then he is a BUST- will we be surprised ??

10. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Would love for this to happen. At least it would show that the Caps might have a bit of ambition this season.

11. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    no doubt he is a much better MF than the MF at Benfica which was a ridiculous rumor- Otavio could have a good resale value - it could be just his agent's ploy to get Porto to make a significant contract offer since his contract ends this june 30

Otávio - Player profile 20/21 | Transfermarkt

but if AC Milan is serious, why would he want to come to the Caps ?? i would imagine his eyes are still in europe; and would the owners open their wallets to over $5 mill ... even as a potential resale in 1-2 years??

rumors are rumors and in Caps world, it usually stays at that - skeptical - its just PR shit from axel schuster IMO- he is fitting the mould- or is it mold- of former CEOs

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    the ruse about the potential for a high quality AMF- otavio- ever coming to the Caps has been exposed for what it is - he has resigned with porto- it would never happen as otavio still has euro ambitions and MLS wasnt even in his imagination

whether the Caps purposedly allowed the rumor to have life in order to cover their real AMF - probably from South America- or it was otvaio's agent's ruse to drive a bargain is unknown- but its often a ploy in negotiations

axel has to show us that he can bring home the bacon on an AMF - if not, we are stuck with what we have... and that aint good enough

13. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Overheul--- “We try to get better every day. And that's really all you can do. And hopefully, over time, those slight advantages will add up to a big one, and we can get back into the playoffs, which I think is something that this team and this club really, really needs.”

Amen to that !! but as we all agree, the bottom line is-- making the team better ON THE FIELD-- and unless he and axel bring home the bacon with a quality, transforming AMF, its just talk, talk, talk-- if i had a dollar for the last 10 years of Blah, Blah, Blah, i would have been able to go on a long holiday

Axel may use the standard of the next transfer window/free transfers in the summer

15. 90PlusPodcast

90PlusPodcast New Member

Whitecaps or Chelsea
    England
    Feb 21, 2021
    Hey everyone. We are a Whitecaps focused podcast that's gearing up for our second season of coverage. We just had Kenny Miller come on from down in Sydney to chat, plus it's our first episode with sponsors and part of a network. Just going to leave the link to our Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Podbean, Instagram and Twitter here. Also just posted a new promo video for all of the changes we have made. Hope you guys enjoy

Interview as a web article:: https://www.bgn.fm/90plus-podcast-episode-39-kenny-miller-interview-new-beginnings/

Links to Twitter, IG, Spotify, Apple Podcasts and Podbean: https://linktr.ee/90PlusPodcast

USA94 repped this.
  16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Kenny did very well here when he played (was injured a few times ). Was a good choice to use a DP spot on back then. I enjoyed having him play for this team.

I will assume the guys didn't ask about his wife and wanting to get the heck out of Vancouver :)

90PlusPodcast repped this.
  17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    kenny must like robo's spin doctoring - the aussie league near the bottom half of the table is about carl's managerial level- how robo ditched his team at newcastle is classic narcissim which has no loyalty except to himself

18. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The lack of a preseason exhibition schedule does pose a significant hurdle here in BC/Canada, which sets up the possibility of a slow start in Sandy and elsewhere in the USA but regardless, the core of this team's defence and midfield should be cohesive enough to make the team a very competitive, tough nut to crack and allow them to grind out results.

Barring key injuries, if they look as disjointed as they did at the start of the Canadian tourney last year, I think MDS will be the fall guy if the trend continues. Schuster wants a consistent formation identity so unless it is absolutely necessary to tinker, MDS needs to stick with the game plan. All I read about last year in the second half of the season was that MDS said that 4-4-2 was his base formation, so let's see what happens this year. Also, MDS is the coach Schuster inherited, so that is significant, meaning that the coach still has more to prove to maintain his position.

Egbo is going to surprise and force his way into the lineup. Comes from a good program and has some good tools (physical/skills/mentality) in the tool kit which will grow with pro experience.

19. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I think that Axel will give MDS until mid-summer to prove that his style of play, his ability to motivate the players, change game tactics inside the game and integrate 3-4 new players in order to make the Caps more competitive and inside the playoff line-- 3 better quality players have-will be added (caicedo, gaspar and hopefully alexandre; draft rookies still are an unknown quality and if 1 makes it to the line-up as a starter or sub player, then the draft was a success)

MDS has until july to prove he has done the job - if not, axel will bring in his own new coach

its going to be challenging for MDS as so many players will be coming and going with national games

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vancouver will start the season playing at Rio Tinto.

21. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GlassCity says the rumor still contains Chiquinho who is an insignificant sub for sporting braga

2 years worth about $1 mill; now suddenly- and is a sub with little offensive stats- is rated at over $6 mill

somebody is sure pumping up his value - the new Caps FO wouldnt sign this guy... at least i hope not

22. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Never trust a Glass City player rumor of the player would command a salary over 1.5 million. He is just messing with everyone to seem connected.

The great JJ Adams is now officially a shill as he is spouting how the Caps were these top spenders. He seems to forget a couple of things:

1 - they were spending all the Davies money they were mandated to spend; and that was a lot of money so of course they were high up as far as transfer fee sending

2 - They spent minimally on salary above what MLS covers and thus, the owner, did not spend a hell of a lot at all
    3 - the ownership is still cheap when it comes to their own money and he won't call them out for it

In saying all that; the truth is Axel is spending the existing MLS monies in what appears to be better than both MDS and Carl. Time will tell but they should be better than the last couple of years.

tm13 repped this.
  23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i think MDS and his staff are going to be terminated asap

and the owners wont like having to buy them out- no doubt, Axel has an incoming coaching staff identified as he knew this day was probably coming

i like MDS and supported his hiring, but things havent got any better this season- sporadic, anemic, poor game planning and player selections/formations, and then some glimpses of hope which quickly disappears

just hasnt happened for MDS-- and he has put all his heart and soul into the team

a change is necessary

24. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    If they were going to sack MDS they had all the evidence needed after last season. The buyout is the big determining factor. If this is his last year of his deal, sure he may go. If he has a couple of years left, then he will have the season I think.

Greg Kerfoot , and his reluctance to spend his own money, would have been quite unhappy paying Carl Robison for all that time before he got the job in Australia. He won't want that again.

We shall see. Axel is already making excuses for the "number 10" so they may give up on this season pretty soon and let MDS ride it out.

25. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    If they were going to make a change, it would have happened right after the long weekend. He is on a short leash, however, especially considering that the league loves having it's former USMNT and MLSers in the coaching ranks Ricardo Clark is wearing a Caps tracksuit on the bench.

This team really lacks attacking depth. First choice sub Raposo is a run around guy who surprises opponents with his quickness on the press but I don't see his ceiling be more than a high energy sub at this point. Bair is an after thought to the coach because he doesn't run around like Raposo does, Ricketts is Ricketts but older and seemingly accruing more nagging injuries, while I haven't see hide or hair of Egbo the draft pick. The Holy Grail "10" search distracts the fan base from the need for a forward who can pop a few goals and spell or perhaps partner Cavallini.

The open play goal drought narrative is at times overplayed because you need to have some good build up to draw fouls for free kicks or earn corners and the Caps have been a dangerous set piece team so far, but it is also at times underplayed when you see that many of the glaring misses came from bone headed passing from the opposition keeper or defenders as opposed to a nice build up play or even a swift counter attack and an opponent committed with too many numbers forward.

I would be surprised if they look inside of MLS to acquire this attacking depth.