Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    keeping MDS until the season is over is MISTAKE #! 1 by axel- he needs to put his stamp on the Club IMMEDIATELY- the roller-coaster team performances need to stop-and its not all MDS' fault- he and his staff have tried their best and are decent people

its just an accumulation of 10 years of growing rot and mildew- i really dont know how this ownership group sleeps at night - i guess its because

THEY DONT CARE

2. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I think Axel is putting his stamp ; Yes man to the owner's plans, and status quo as far as recruiting abilities. It's not a good stamp no matter what the job title says on his business card.

3. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    does anyone else get pissed watching TSN analyst, kristian jack, gloating on the Caps misfortunes ??

as we all know he adored ex-Cap coach, carl robinson, and was appalled when he was fired

its a-- SEE I TOLD YOU!!-- you should have kept carl

with this ownership group, i am not sure any coach would be successful

BearcatSA repped this.
  4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    with this ownership group, i am not sure any coach would be successful

but with a better use of MLS money and better eye for talent, the Caps can be in the run for a playoff spot, but never, ever the MLS Cup- and thats on the head coach and axel

5. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    CJ was a softball player when Carl ran the show. And yes, he is extra scorching them this season. Quite funny to watch the blind spots he has and the hypocrisy of ignoring Carl's brutal record.

And yes, I agree he is gloating. He still thinks Carl is the best young coach available and will continue to promote him

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    message to KJ- if carl robo is such a good coach, why is at a bottom-feeding, near bankrupt newcastle club in australia ? and the A-league is 2 notches below MLS (even bernie ibini has scored 1G for every 4 games in the A-League, while he had 1G in 25 games with vancouver)

PS its because no other reputable club see him as a good or even mediocre coach

i believe that MDS will eventually make the grade when he develops a better eye for evaluating talent because 2 consecutive years of loosing and huge player turnover says he is very poor at it

tm13 repped this.
  7. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    He puts the blame here squarely on ownership and with that, he's not wrong. His defence of Robbo was premised on that point and I even think part-time Vancouverite Carlo Ancelloti would struggle for success under this FO. And my mea culpa: in his early years I thought Robbo was on the right track until things gradually started going pear shaped and he was exposed as a one trick pony.

I'd rather him stating the f...ing obvious about the Caps then Shill and Dolie doing their usual apologist routine (though apparently they have had more moments about being outspoken with what's happening...I've been told this because I don't listen to their commentary)

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    smart guy!

i still hold hope that MDS will make the grade again as a well-respected head coach... but it wont be here

the bigger question is-- what quality, unattached/soon to be unattached head coach would want to come here ??

9. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Your question is a factor of money. They will not pay for a coach with a significant pedigree (nor would a coach of that level last here long as they would want to get better players and not be allowed the larger DP salaries). So, it will end up likely being someone from MLS (former coach or an assistant somewhere). If they sign from outside the league it would have to be someone like Axel who is just looking to get a higher profile position and willing to give it a shot.

If I were betting, I would say they continue the trend of first time MLS head coaches. That is what we have had every time. (Soehn was interim so I am skipping him on this).

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    so you mean that the Caps owners will go after a head coach novice just to save money? SURPRISING, SHOCKING, PERPLEXING

i have no idea why you would think this way

tm13 repped this.
  11. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    And now we are battling for the bottom with LAG. San Jose has turned it around and we are still our shit passing selves. The team has no identity or style.

Our passing sucks so bad. We are a D2 level team playing in MLS. Seriously we can’t seem to receive passes, make them and get open. Several turnovers were the result of nobody presenting for the ball and the passer having nobody to pass to. Nothing is going to change until that gets fixed.

It is the heart and soul of the game and we totally suck at it. Until that changes we will totally suck game after game after game. They can blame this season on the shutdown and playing away from home but until the pass receiving and making are fixed we will continue to suck.

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple." – Bill Shankly

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “ Playing football is simple but playing football simply is the hardest thing there is.” My apologies to Cruyff if I didn’t get that quite right.

tm13 repped this.
  13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Another great and applicable quote for us right now.

14. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    The Whitecaps have over double the number of losses to wins.

"You are what your record says you are." - Bill Parcells

15. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    And the red card on Godoy is rescinded so he can play tomorrow. Small favours are welcome. Combine that with the easiest remaining schedule and we're a shoe in to make it into the playoffs ... Right? Guys? Oh are you really saying they will screw this up too? "I find your lack of faith disturbing.. but completely
    understandable"

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020...cfc-rbny-most-difficult-minnesota-orlando-and

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN MLS!

tm13 repped this.
  17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    And in the ode to Monty Python category we have the "I'm not dead yet" winner of the week ... drum roll please ... The Vancouver Whitecaps.

Hey 3 points is 3 points and at least we beat a sad sack of a team (worse than us) and didn't require a man advantage to get it done. Progress. LOL.

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    and MDS subbing in MF baldisimo and an OG started it all - you could see the game switching in vancouver's favor- i even had this weird thought that the Caps were going to pull out a win- i tried to suppress it... now i dont have to

19. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Yea it gets so bad that you give up even hoping for a comeback and then they do one. Admittedly RSL suck worse than us this year but at least we took 3 points off them and didn't require RSL to play with 10 men to get it.

20. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    And thanks to the international call ups leaving LAFC short of starters we win 2-1 and get 3 points. A beggar can't be choosy so I'll just be happy.

The really terrifying thing to me is that there are actually 4 teams in our conference that are worse than us. LMAO.

First half against LAFC was great but then we reverted to form. Still, it's a start.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  21. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Take the W when we can, right? We are a long term lower level team , but its nice to get a run once in a while

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    sign 1 significant MF (to replace owusu who repeatedly gives up the ball in terrible situations) and 1 LB (i think adnan will be gone as his salary is too high for a defender; if he stays, then a very pacey offensive player) and we become a decent competitor in the west conference playoff hunt

PS dont you wish that dajome can shoot and make decisions better

well, i guess that FINALLY, MDS has his tactics right- the high press rather than playing defense and counter-attacking

tm13 repped this.
  23. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    "Take the W whenever and however we can". LOL. That should replace "Our Honor, Our All"

Yea the runs can be fun. We were 3rd in the league once. Ain't been much before or since. Here's hoping we achieve a semblance of respectability this year.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  25. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yes. The Caps are losing money on their own operations (revenues v expenses) as they tank the club. But Kerfoot the owner has made incredible money on his investment.

I put him over 100 million in his share of expansion money, and that was a couple of years back when I did the math up to that point. There are still more big expansion fees since then and so it keeps rising. He is also getting several million per year from SUM and has a sale value of the caps at least 150 million or more if they move it elsewhere.

All of that for a 40 million dollar expansion fee and around 15 million or so in operational losses in 10 years. Hell of an investment for him, and the shares his minority partners get out of it. Since its clear the owners are just here for the investment return and not to win; why would they bother spending money on players? They are making millions and millions a year from these other sources that have nothing to do with the team on the pitch, and will continue to come in no matter how pissed off the Vancouver fans and supporters get. THey will hang on until MLS finally says enough is enough and they send it off to another market.