Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Much like the loans the Caps have brought in, Blondell was sent out in the hope that his Chilean club would buy him. I doubt it will happen.

Montero will be here to the end of the year. He needs to go: he's cooked, especially on his current contract.

For those criticizing Felipe's performance and his $500 K contract, it's important to note that the club's $750 K captain has been stuck on the bench for the last few matches, especially considering that HIB has been playing in a similar role (and doing an effective job from that deeper lying playmaking position). I'm not sure where Erice fits into the picture for next year if HIB is kept in that deeper midfield position. I've said this many times and I haven't changed my opinion: this midfield really needs a strong box to box, No. 8 mid. What's changed is that they probably need an AM as well if HIB continues to play deep.

The Honduran might provide a spark... or not. I find it interesting that his loan to Liga MX didn't turn into something more. Hopefully he makes things happen.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    each MLS team can buy out 1 player's contract when the season ends- it could be either erice or montero- fredy is the most likely of the 2 as he shows that his best playing days are behind him- of course, the best scenario is that the Caps can do a trade and probably erice fits that bill better as he has had a better season, but underwhelming, than fredy

i agree that hwang seems better suited to the # 5 deep-playing MF role

still hoping that some team wants fredy in a trade and we get something back for 2020- his salary of $ 968K is the crunch; erice sits at $750K

expensive players for what we get back

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    HIB will be here for one more year and, if he plays well, will be sold on for a profit to a greener pasture. If he remains playing in that deep lying playmaker role for the rest of season, than you have to question vetting/assessment process because when he came here he was viewed by the coach as more of an AM. He was even used in an attacking role as an inverted winger on the left for match.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Any supporter who believes that the Caps were serious about buying cavallini needs to give their head a shake- they offered a $5 mill USD transfer fee when his market value is +$8 mill, plus his salary in the millions- it was a PR STUNT to suggest the Club and owners are serious about upgrading the team- don't be fooled that the owners are suddenly interested in being a serious investor- AINT HAPPENING!!!!

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Until the Club is sold to an ambitious owner (s), we will diddle around with being mediocre... at best-

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tough to compete with Liga MX as they pay their players really well and the cost of living in Puebla is far less than Vancouver. Caps are more likely to attract players from Liga MX that are into the last years of their career than a quality guy in his prime. Cavallini would have had to really want to get out of Puebla and come to Vancouver for this deal to have had a chance of working.

What would a more ambitious owner look like for the Caps? Someone who is willing to spend more money than what they could reasonably get a return on their investment? The stadium situation severely limits what an owner can accomplish unless it is just a vanity project for someone who has throw away money. But, whenever that kind of purchase happens in the world of football, it almost always ends in tears.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Well in your Cap world, the best we can hope for is slipping into the playoffs every 4-5 years and being bounced out in round 1- I understand your reasoning- too bad that aquilini's 2009 proposal to buy into the MLS with a new stadium led by Les Wilson at a revamped swangard stadium wasn't taken as aquilini is an ambitious owner- now we end up with the 4 stooges and a lying, incompetent F O that offer no hope - I think attendances will drop to under 15 k and many like myself would rather enjoy a CPL franchise in the Valley and take in the odd game at BC place - the ownership group can HANG TOUGH- I won't and I wager that thousands of others will do the same- once lost, we will be difficult to get back as STHs- I will not renew my 42nd STH season in 2020

9. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    And I have small tears as I say that

10. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Looks like Bobby is getting gently removed from the scene and a sporting director is getting hired. So with that, the club hopes to stop the STH renewal bleeding.

11. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Also, raise your hand if you think that this announcement for this particular time has been in the works for awhile? At the very least since the women's team coaching scandal. The move of the '79 celebration weekend from Labour Day pretty well said it all.

(When asked about the relationship between the scandal and the demotion of Lenarduzzi, Mallett said there was no correlation. So why move the '79 celebration weekend?)

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    We all know that the OWNERS ARE THE PROBLEM- until that changes, we are the worst-run team in MLS- 23/24TH IN SALARIES, 23/24 IN STANDING- its not rocket science- its MLS 3.0- invest or get left behind as a bottom feeder and sagging attendance- MLS HQ must put pressure on the owners to sell or risk loosing the franchise- i am hoping for the former

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Spending wisely and getting great value for your dollar is the most important thing. TFC lead the league in spending and are struggling to make the playoffs (on a PPG basis they are just over it but lots of teams close). Compare that with the 2 NY teams. They are spending less COMBINED than TFC is and are both comfortably in the playoffs. They are spending $2 million more than the Caps. Much better value is the trick. So how do you get better value?

It becomes even more critical for the Caps to constantly get value because they don't own their stadium so
    ancillary revenue is zero. Yes having frugal owners and a less than competent recruiting / scouting has hurt us bad. It is far from the only consideration.

I'll give MDS a full season (2019) to get a handle on this and I expect to be in the playoffs in 2020. I am very patient as I've seen a lot worse over the decades. Most people are not so patient. To all the "microwave pizza" people I leave you with this:

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    It isn't looking so much as it is in the incompetent FO and the disengaged owners- and YES MDS has to get the new signings almost 100% correct- I am surprised how many he got wrong but still believe in his ability to turn it around for 2020- I just want to be respected by the owners as a STH and a hope that we can be a serious competitive team by 2021, in other words MAKE THE PLAYOFFS and have some decent runs at winning cups- the only reason the owners are making changes is because of the STHs not renewing/attending and the MLS HQ are insisting on major changes as they hold 51% of the ownership- i think they are upset at the owners and have squeezed their proverbials to make concrete changes- I still believe that teams will HAVE to start paying more $$$$ beyond the MLS pots for salaries in order to seriously compete- it's MLS 3.0

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    some people state that if teams like NYCFC can be highly competitive on their salary budget, then- spent wisely- the Caps can do the same on their budget

in fact, NYCFC spend over $2 mill more than the MLS quota than the Caps whose owners have glued wallets and fixated on staying within the MLS amounts- as a side note, NYCFC have 1 player (maxi moralez) who is making $2 mill

while i dont think a Team can be highly competitive in the allotted MLS pots, i do believe that a Team can be competitive, such as NY Red Bull whose salaries come in at just over $200K more than the Caps

i just think that the days of spending within or slightly above the MLS monies are leaving - significantly invest or be like many Clubs in the EPL- fighting for mid-table or avoiding being at the bottom

with the present owners, i just dont see any committment that they will change their investment- Old Fan might just be right- its the return of the NBA Grizzlies whose owner wanted to sell the Club to another city and make a huge amount of money in doing so (and of course, MLS comes out a winner also)- at best, we might be another Columbus project within 5 years, but are there investors who would rescue the Club like Columbus? the only viable scenario is that the Lions eventual new owners will also see the Caps as an investment and build a 25 000 stadium to accommodate both teams-- BC Place can not be the answer for sports teams to survive and thrive )

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Oldfan Fantasy:

MLS is sold and moved
    CPL expands to Vancouver (a different one than the Langley team already done)
    That owner buys lions, rights to Caps name and property
    Gets a stadium redesign at BC Place or another Vancouver location

Some of that may happen anyways, some is my fantasy dream.

I am getting tired of the MLS and their model is heading to the point that even a healthy vancouver market would have to absorb big losses to just compete. And, had enough of half or more of our international jabronies come here and suck.

I support the pro game in Vancouver .It has been in several leagues do it does not have to be MLS. I would not be sad if we ended up supporting CPL teams at open air small stadiums. Those days were fun. 9 years of MLS has left me fatigued, disappointed, and not going to many games.

17. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i was hoping for constructive changes in the july transfer window- its what MDS said would happen- of course all we got was a signed adnan, a recycled ricketts and the selling of felipe and norman jr

now the Club wants us to wait until january- i just hope MDS doesnt sacrifice his integrity for this ownership group and FO

18. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    RE: MLS commissioner, don garber, is in vancouver- and it isnt a social call

MLS HQ has to be worried about what is happening with the Whitecaps- they are into fixing/remedying struggling franchises, like they have done in columbus and chicago- a number of cities are in similar positions and vancouver is dropping like a lead weight

MLS have stated- and DG did it last week- that the league is willing to help canadian markets succeed- hopefully, he is able to give a kick up the owners' arses so they become more engaged and ambitious in the franchise

not sure that even the Commish can do it, but its desperate times for a franchise that is drastically shrinking

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Even with Fight Club going on next door at Rogers Arena, there were still a lot of empty seats for the commish to see. Not a great optic. Same with the Lions the night before.

20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i reckon that 2020 is a do or die time- watching the Caps die is painful and then 1 day, you just let go -- i think that is happening with a lot of STHs who have paid for their seats but not attending the games, probably to the tune of 5 000 last night

and thats a lot of disengaging supporters that are willing to let it go and spend their money, time and committment in other ways that are more satisfying than listening to the mumble-jumbo nonsense from the owners and FO

if i could ask the Wizard of OZ, i would want an ambitious, visible, engaged, wealthy local ownership group willing to buy both the Lions and Caps and build a new stadium, in the metro area, of 25 000 by 2023- the Lions can be bought for under $10 mill apparently, but the Caps would be in the $100 mill range since MLS owns 51% of the Club and the group would only have to buy-out the present cap owners

i know its 'pie in the sky' thinking, but thats my only hope for the 2 franchises; renting at BC Place Stadium can not be a lt solution- too much lost revenue

21. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    And there in lies the huge problem. All that lost revenue for 8 years adds up. That is what has kept MLS clubs afloat for the lean years.

22. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  23. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    as per the Caps MO- the owners have not spent a dime on salaries- all have been paid by the MLS at $8.1 mill USD, bottom of the rung and $600K less than the next MLS team- its the same amoount as 2018!!

owner jeff mallett's statement in february to have the Caps be in the top 3rd is built on lies and manipulation- is it any wonder that thousands have-will be leaving the Club ? attendance for 2020 will be under 15K unless the owners spend in the $3-4 mill range in SALARIES above the MLS cap and start to be honest and ambitious

how does MLS Pres, don garber, get this set of owner clowns to change?? its as if the owners want to dismantle the franchise and sell it to a USA city

24. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1824 OldFan2015, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    They completely lied to us. THey did spend 4-5 million of Davies money on various transfers. BUT, they have to use it anyways. They are still not willing to put up their own dough in any meaningful amount. And Rachel does an interview last couple of weeks saying their goal is to be one of the "pre emininent" organizations in MLS. They aren't even trying so that is just BS for their house article. Nothing more.

Their pitch to sign up for seasons now and ask for a refund in January is silly. They say they have money to spend. yeah, davies money on transfer fees. Which is nice, but if it is to continue to aquire players making 600k - a million it won't upgrade the team significantly.

Probably not a hell of a lot Garber will do. He sees the market rotting, when he was here the amount of season ticket holders dressed as empty seats was staggering. So it would certainly get his attention. I am still of the thinking that this may be intentional and they are creating a case to present to MLS that this market is not sustainable and it has to be sold to an expansion owner for big bucks. Steve Nash doesnt even talk about them anymore he is all about Spurs and Mallorca. So he is clearly in the know that this is nothing more than just a bunch of stock he bought in a company he has no attachment to.

IF they sign one player with a salary that exceeds 1.5 million, then that would indicate change. Just a tippie toe in the water, but it would be movement as it would cost them money and they can't buy it off. Other than that, the evidence and history tells us what we will get next year. THey may make the playoffs if MDS doesn't sign so much dead money as he did this year, but this will eternally be in and out of the playoffs, and the pinnacle of success will be just making them once in a while.

25. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    DO YOU GET PISSED AT INANE REPORTING ?? both GlassCity and 86erForever are reporting that the Caps have made some type of interest in oliver giroud- 33 year playing pt for chelsea and has played for france- his contract runs out june 30, 2020 and his salary is in the +$7 mill USD

put up your hand if you think this is a reputable rumor - EXACTLY!! as inactive as inert mouse's fart-

why is MDS apparently allowing the FO/Owners to use him this way ??