Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting article about how MLS clubs make money. Most of the value is in the franchise itself which the owners can't extract unless they sell. They do make money/income in other ways but without a stadium, Caps are at a big disadvantage. Maybe it is in Caps interest not to do well as to encourage MLS to find a buyer for them. But, probably difficult for the franchise to stay in Vancouver.
    https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2...jor-league-soccer-marketing-usa-mexico-canada

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    3/4 owners have successful business backgrounds- they are not the 3 stooges - they are doing everything perfect to KILL THE WHITECAPS IN THE MLS

they have MLS and davies transfer money to get better players, but instead will go after CPL or insignificant players that wont turn the Club's fortunes around, nor keep the supporters

i think they have no intention of keeping the franchise going in the MLS- and probably have tried to find a well-pocketed local owner(s) but to no avail

the owners were ok with 22 000 average in MLS 2.0 and the franchise value went from $35 mill to north of $150 mill in 8 years- TIME TO CASH OUT

the owners want $$$$$$$$$$ and are letting the franchise die a slow death for another 2 years until MLS HQs line up another USA city, wealthy ownership group and a SSS-- 2022 sounds just about right

sounds stupid, i know- but connect the dots this year and its a repeat of the NBA Grizzlies

now there is a recent new rumor about a CPL franchise in the lower mainland

CONNECT THE DOTS

3. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Which other MLS teams are in the same stadium situation as the Caps?

4. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1779 ChrisSSBB, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Only NYCFC comes to mind (Yankee Stadium) although 20% is owned by the Yankees so I suppose this doesn't even count as same as Caps. The other 80% is owned by the very deep pockets of City Football Group. They are looking to build a SSS in metro New York. If there is an ownership group that could pull that off, these are the ones that could do it.

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    i cant think of any other MLS team that has 0% ownership of their stadium, nor has any part of the concession revenues; and that is 1 reason why the ownership group is determined not to add any costs onto the players' salaries beyond MLS revenues

its MLS 3.0 and pariety is loosing ground to teams where the owners will spend huge $$$ to attract and keep significant players in order to be a highly competitive team- we arent the only team struggling with that development, but i think because of our stadium situation, we are the worst off... and the canadian-usa $$ is also a deterent

are the Whitecap owners loosing money because they dont own the stadium?? my guess is they are but at what level is info we do not have; but they do get expansion money from the league and, for now, have revenue from TV

1 thing i am sure of- 2018 and 2019 are not small blips- the Club will continue to loose this market with this ownership group unless new owners come in with a different investment style to join MLS 3.0- if not, we will die a slow and painful/frustrating death- it would also have be owner(s) willing to finance a privately-owned stadium- perhaps an owner who also takes over the Lions franchise which makes perfect sense and would help defray the stadium building costs (25 000 sounds right)

maybe our soccer future is the CPL in a smaller suburban stadium on the Skytrain link- i just dont see us making it in MLS 3.0 with what we have 'leading' the Club

i am sure that MLS HQs are aware of the situation in vancouver, but they cant let it continue- they will get involved, like they did in columbus and now in chicago-- NYCFC and NE will also be on their radar, followed by dallas and colorado-- but vancouver has to be most challenging for the league to remedy... if they want to

6. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I wonder how much concession revenue is generated for 17 home games. Is there a link to that from a business article?

7. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only thing I saw was from DC United where they said they averaged $10/person for concessions back in 2014. Of course, RFK stadium was pretty bleak and I don't believe I ever bought anything but a beer there. Amazing place to tailgate pre-game, though. Not sure about their new stadium, Audi Field.

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

i have this - https://thebreaker.news/news/whitecaps-contract/

https://thebreaker.news/miscellany/whitecaps-secret-deal/

i am not sure if the Caps get to keep any of the concession money, sponsorship advertising and what the rent/game is ? i believe the only revenue the Club gets is from bums in the seat/suites, tv, merchandise and probably sponsors

we do know that PAVCO will be selling the naming rights BC Place Stadium to a sponsor for millions

its all a mystery and even the taxpayers who paid for the stadium dont know the details-- and we dont know just how solvent now and for the future are the whitecaps and lions

its all a mystery-- just like the Whitecaps ownership group

9. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    #1784 carnifex2005, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    ChrisSSBB repped this.
  10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    apparently lucas venuto is on the selling block to santos of brazl- GREAT!! frees up salary $$$ and an international spot

hopefully the Club can sell fredy montero to another MLS team- he's not going to get on-track this season and is costing a lot of $$$$$ and a DP spot- he would still be useful to the right team if he gets on a run of goals

that would be 2/5 of MDS' black signings- bangoura, ardaiz and felipe are the other 3- thankfully, ardaiz and bangoura are on-loan until dec 31, 2019 so both will be gone for 2020

11. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
  12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    venuto is gone- one down, 4 to go- bangoura and ardaiz will be gone dec 31- leaves fredy and felipe as the only 2 bad decisions left

MDS has to get the next 4-5 signings spot-on or i will question his ability - he got godoy, adnan and crepeau, right and hwang and erice as modest successes, rose and sutter are ok signings, but neither are MLS quality any longer- his biggest success has been with henry

i hope he can get trade value for montero asap

2020 will be a reshaping year, but hopefully it will be more sunshine rather than dark clouds- MDS will have until next summer to prove he has learned from his recruiting mistakes

the biggest learners have to be the owners if they want to save the franchise - not sure they want that- if they continue to pay player salaries from the MLS pots, it wont have any chance of succeeding

FYI-- the whitecaps are offering renewing STHs a full reimbursement by january 31, 2020 if they dont like what they see happening in the off-season- the crash of ST renewables must be even lower than i imagined - DESPERATE MEASURES BY A DESPERATE TEAM

they wont get any money from me and i hope other STH s do the same - sign 2 significant DP players whose salary has to come out of the owners' pockets, then i will begin to believe and trust

13. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    There can only be one! :)

Seriously you can't say that CPL is top level in Canada. That is clearly the 3 MLS teams. Yes there are some upsets like Vancouver losing to Calgary and in the past TFC losing to the Impact but those are very rare.

How many players go from CPL to MLS vs MLS to CPL is a good indicator. I hope to see several CPL players make the jump over the next few years but mostly it will be players who couldn't make it in MLS going to CPL.

Yes CPL is D2 but there is nothing wrong with that. In fact it is a good thing because a lot of players are not going to be able to make the jump to MLS at 18-20.

Even the university grads struggle to make the jump to MLS. That is where CPL shines. They are not bad or unskilled players. They just need regular playing time to develop mentally, emotionally & physically. Playing time they won't get in MLS is available in CPL.

14. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    #1789 tm13, Aug 2, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    That is the real killer as far as I can see. They need alternate revenue from owning their own stadium. Without that they struggle because revenue is in Can $$ and most expenses are in US $$

Vancouver is a "FICKLE FAN" sports market. Most will go to whatever is currently "hot" or winning. It is not a great soccer market (or any other sport other than hockey, even there sheesh).

For all the "doom & gloom" this is what happens during a rebuilding year. Build from the back out has always been the way to do it and on that front MDS has done well. We still desperately need a box to box mid and goal scorer who can do it from open play but our back line and keeper are solid.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  15. Robert Borden

Robert Borden Member+

Chelsea
    Canada
    Apr 19, 2017
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    CPL is the top level in Canada. It is sanctioned by the CSA as Division 1.

MLS is sanctioned by the USSF. The 3 clubs are sanctioned by the CSA but the CSA does not recognize MLS within it's pyramid (no Wikipedia doesn't count)

Both leagues are D1, just like EPL and la Liga are D1 but one is stronger than the other. If you want to argue, which one is stronger, I won't disagree with you, but that doesn't mean that CPL isn't D1.

That's not a good indicator. Players goes back and forth all the time from one strong league to the other and vice versa.

MDS said himself that several CPL players could play in MLS after his lose to Cavalry. Saying that players goes to CPL because they couldn't make MLS is ignoring that the roster rules effect on Canadian players. It's like me saying that players goes to MLS because they couldn't make Liga MX. Domestic rules has a heavy hand in where players goes. Canadians not counting as domestic on US squads is a bigger reason than the one you just gave

Like it or not, there is officially no D2 leagues in Canada but CPL is planning on launching one. It's a D1 league.

By your definition, every league around the world who's not on MLS level is by definition D2... that's a bit silly, dont you think?

By the way, Forge just defeated Antigua from Guatemala in CONCACAF League. Does that mean that the Guatemala league is D2?

MLS is a good league in the region, but calm down, it isn't Liga MX either...so if Liga mx is D1 what does that make MLS going by your logic?

oh wow...

They struggle to go to MLS for different reasons. Leagues have different approach and goals.

MLS wants to be recognized as a global top league and beat Liga MX. So University grads will have a hard time getting minutes because there aren't roster rules for youth players like Liga MX has and MLS is less worried about developing players for the national program.

CPL has adopted the same roster rules than Liga MX for youth players and they have stated that developing players for the national program was a clear goal while providing them with a D1 environment. Different approaches, but MLS approach has it's share of detractors within the US so to each own but you can't have such a simplistic view on this.

16. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I see it more like EPL & the Welsh league. Some Welsh teams play in EPL, none of the la Liga teams play in the EPL.

That is good to hear. We need more rungs of the ladder added back in. We are still missing a few but the CPL fills the biggest gap.

17. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    Wow was that an uuuugggglllllyyyy way to collect 3 points!
    Do I care? Hell no!
    3 points on the road any time is great but playing the ONLY team below us in the standings was a prime opportunity to break out of the win less slump and we did it.

18. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice run by Felipe to knock in winning goal right in front of Waston. .. Came close to former Caps putting us behind earler with the Manneh cross/pass into the box to Mattocks but he skied the shot (poor defending by Adnan on Manneh).
    Anyway, 3pts on road is always good although Cincy is worst in MLS.

19. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    Cincy are total rubbish. That's clearly rhe worst performance I have seen from a Caps' opponent this year. Inaccurate passes, poor passing decisions: poor by every eyeball test and metric. The Caps need more matches against teams like that.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  20. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    partly to do with the crappy nippert field and partly to do with the poor quality of each team's MF which are the worst 2 in MLS

best Cap players last night- crepeau, adnan, inboem

and MDS should send ardaiz back- he is a drain on the team and sets a poor example of what a team member should be- a waste of coaching time- he reminds somewhat of rookie omar salgado who could never grip onto the fact that it takes effort and self-motivation to make a professional- he is becoming a wash-out

21. BearcatSA

BearcatSA Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    More the latter in Cincy's case. They looked like a team in preseason with the amount of disconnect. I thought the game would end in a tie, with Mattocks auditioning for the Bengals' placekicking job and such. I'll give props to Felipe and Teibert for their work on the winning goal.

Maybe they'll get some mo going and beat the Timbers next match.

22. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    THE RIGHT THING TO HAVE DONE: trading felipe at $500K /season until 2021 is a great move by the coaching staff- it saves $250K this season and $500K for 2020 and 2021- we also get some MLS $$ - either TAM or GAM- how he got resigned is a mystery, much like brek shea in 2018

we now have Ardiaz and bangoura to be released as they are both on loan deals until Dec 31... the sooner the better for the Team- i am also hoping that fredy montero is traded by aug 7- it hasnt worked out for him or the caps, so lets cut bait with 1 day to go and get a benefit for the Team

and lets remember that the transfer window closes for MLS on august 7... but the free agent signings can happen until aug 31- not sure if anything will happen in the next 3 weeks, but MDS and his staff have to get it right

23. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    To be fair I think Felipe was the least of our worries. Yes he was over paid for what he brought this year but he always gave 100% unlike some others (cough, Ardiaz, cough). He falls into that difficult category of "good but not at that price" which is very important in a salary cap league and a club like Vancouver in a small to midsize market without their own stadium, frugal owners, etc.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/20...uire-winger-michaell-chirinos-loan-cd-olimpia

Chirinos is in on a "try before you buy" loan deal as well. I really think that is the way to do things. Lord knows how many players I wish we had done that with in the past. Much cheaper and you get to see how they handle MLS.

I think Ardiaz and Bangoura will be around but not getting a lot of time unless the Caps can find someone willing to take them off their hands in a way that the Caps don't pay for (again). At least it is a loan not a multi-year signing. It is the multi-year signings that don't work out that really hurt a lot both financially and restricts who we can bring in.

Freddy has had a difficult year but it is close to the end of the season with less than a dozen games to go so anyone who will cost us to move will just stay until the off season IMHO. I still have hope for him but he is not the player we all remember from his glory days.

24. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Fredy is a conundrum-- is it his age or his lack of service?? maybe its a combination of the 2- and at his salary, it will be difficult to trade him unless a team wanting to make a push this season will take a flyer on him- it would be best if that happened

with felipe, it could have been another player- sutter, rose, PC or levis, but i think that felipe offers more because of his past history - the Caps certainly got a lot back for a below average MF

the other mystery flying out there for 2020 is what will the Caps do with anthony Blondell who is out on-loan

for gaining and keeping more fans for 2020, i am still hoping for a significant free agent signing by aug 31- wishful thinking, i know!!

25. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5' 5" Chirinos. He is talented but will be interesting to see how he adapts to MLS. Central Americans know how to deal with summer heat, no doubt.