Vancouver Whitecaps News Thread & other media

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Aug 20, 2010.

1. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just finished watching the WC vs Houston, which was Kobayashi's first game (highlights: http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/201...t-houston-dynamo-2-1-second-match-preseason-0 ; full game: http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/02/02/preseason-watch-van-hou-mlssoccercom-6-pm-et )

Yes, preseason doesn't mean much, so I don't much care about the score, but there were some interesting partnerships and player performances, imo, that are worth talking about:

Defence
    • I thought Watson got out of position, and was generally pretty easy to beat on the right side. He also caused the free kick, then lost the header, leading to Houston's goal. This experiment did not seem to work.
    • Klazura looked like he hasn't developed at all since last year--if anything, he's regressed.
    • Harvey looked very ordinary--more like the Harvey of old than the slightly more solid Harvey toward the end of last season.
    • Looks like we need fullbacks, and quick, if there's to be any squad rotation for Lee, and if Rennie wants Rochat to play holding CM.
    • Rusin seemed to be a lumbering (slow) giant, hanging back (too far, at times) to compensate, and trying not to crush people as he challenged for the ball (ground or air). My prediction: MLS card machine, as he can send people flying by simply brushing up against them (see penalty call against him last game). Liability? Probably. (However, I would pay to see him get a straight red for simultaneously breaking five bones in Steven Lenhart's body during a hard challenge. I think he could do it. That would be sweet.)
    Partnerships: Midfield & Attack
    • I thought Lee, Manneh, and Mattocks worked very well up the left side and into the middle.
    • I also thought Camilo and Hurtado did the same from the right side.
    • Overall, I found both Manneh and Hurtado did not look out of place against MLS competition, and--perhaps most promising, since this is only preseason--they didn't look like new guys in the squad. Instead, their link-up play was quick and fluid and their movement off the ball better than most WC players' last year. Hurtado showed excellent movement on the play that led to his goalpost chance--very unlucky not to score. I found these two added exactly the dimension it was advertised they'd add: speed down the flanks, and good service to the middle--in only their second game with their new team-mates. They also used their speed to get behind the ball quickly once the WC lost possession, and harassed opposing ball carriers fairly regularly, so it seems their defensive play is developing.
    • Kobayashi came on at 45', started very slow, but got stronger, I thought, as the game wore on. His free kicks and corners have some promise, I think. That said, it was hard to evaluate him, because there seemed to be little or no chemistry between him, Tiebert, and Koffie in the middle. I need to see more, but my sense is he may need a longish period of adjustment to both team and MLS.
    Keepers
    • Both Knighton and Cannon seemed solid enough, though neither had a lot to do. But I prefer Knighton, simply because if I was a forward going up for a header around the six-yard box, I'd still be more afraid of Knighton than Cannon. Knighton's just more solid physically, and has a more commanding presence when he comes off his line, imo. He showed that today, whereas Cannon had a nail-biting adventure outside the 18 instead.
    Cut 'Im
    • Jaime Peters--slow and lacks ideas.
    • Possibly Greg Klazura--unless he'd been out stuffing his face with nachos, Corona and tequila shooters till two last night. That may explain his lack of sharpness. But I doubt it.
    • Possibly Jordan Harvey, because he was only marginally sharper than Greg Klazura, and he's been in the league far longer.
    A Surprise
    • Corey Hertzog--His run last game drew a penalty, and he was in position a number of times in the second half but was let down by service (often from Teibert). His goal today in the second was a gift from the Houston defence, but he had his head up to spot it, and finished it calmly like a poacher.
    • Hertzog also seems to have a long throw-in--corner kick long. On two separate occasions he took throw-ins in the final third, and placed the ball within a yard of the penalty spot.

carnifex2005 and whiteisthecolour repped this.
  2. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    thx for the game report-- very insightful and i like what u said about the 2 new rookies from the draft-- where was miller??

3. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Miller didn't play. Not sure why--no announcements that I heard about him pre- or post-game.

Paulo Jr. also got subbed shortly after he came on in the 2nd half. Not sure why. Didn't look hurt, but also did very little while he was out there.

4. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Does anyone know how the season ticket drive is going and if Sportsnet is going to be televising any games this year?

5. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    only a guess- STH numbers will decrease from last year-- between 11 000-12 000 would be my guess- they had a high of 15 500 in 2011 and 13 500 in 2012-- the caps sale promotions are a disaster at this time- rarely seen in any media or advertising scheme-- they did nothing during the hockey lock-out, a prime time to promote the team, but did nothing or very little

6. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Vancouver will be revealing the new kits Thursday, February 28 at the Rocky Mountaineer Station. Private even.t (Source: MLS.com)

7. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Invite only to season ticket holders - I RSVP'd a few days later, and was told it was full :(

8. carnifex2005

carnifex2005 Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Would be a nice move for the Whitecaps if it happens. Certainly can use a bit more cover in that department.

Whitecaps Set to Swoop for Reo-Coker

Vancouver Whitecaps have emerged as the surprise front runner for former EPL midfielder and free agent Nigel Reo-Coker.
    Martin Rennie is interested in filling the large gap in defensive midfield left by the departure of Barry Robson who left Vancouver amid rumours of locker room disharmony and an official explanation that his family had not settled in the Rain City. The Scot moved on by mutual consent with a golden handshake said to be in the region of $0.5m.
    That made Reo-Coker tactically of interest to the Caps who are seeking to provide competition and depth in midfield where Gershon Koffie and Jun Marques-Davidson are currently top of the pecking order. Reo-Coker can also play right back.
    Portland Timbers however retained Discovery rights to the player and their General Manager Gavin Wilkinson originally expressed some interest in acquiring Reo-Coker but wanted to complete the offload of unwanted striker Kris Boyd first.
    With that completed however, Portland hesitated and did not make an offer acceptable to the player.

9. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    u were right about peters- he was cut this week-- apparently came to camp overweight- if that is true, he should have been shown the door immediately

lensky was also cut

10. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  11. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    seems like he really wants to be here and that he and rennie have a good relationship-- NRC can be a wonderful addition to the caps, either in defense or DMF which would allow rochat to be at left back sometimes-- a lot more competent flexibility this year with our players-- rennie and his staff have done a good job of filling in necessary pieces to make the caps more competitive and attacking

dehun repped this.
  13. TheGoldSheik

TheGoldSheik New Member

Jul 14, 2012
    How would you know they have a good relationship... source?

14. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    He's simply making an observation based on things said during interviews by both coach and player, he doesn't have or need a source to state an opinion/observation.

15. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    recently, i was talking with the leader of inside sources, Old Fan, and he was able to talk soccer with a person within the soccer club and confirmed the solid relationship that NRC and MR have
    as usual, Old Fan has lots of reliable sources

JohnnyRanger repped this.
  16. Whitecaps FC Blog

Whitecaps FC Blog New Member

May 15, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  17. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  18. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Two Whitecaps (Miller and Kobayashi) were chosen for the MLS best XI list after last week's games, and Cannon and Reo-Coker were honourable mentions.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/03/12/team-week-wk-2-canadian-teams-take-center-stage

While I don't put too much stock in such things (especially since they completely passed over YP Lee after two stellar performances), I think it does point to the fact that the WC now have some of the top talent in the league. It'll be interesting seeing this team gel throughout the year. I wonder how far they can take it?

19. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    While I don't put too much stock in such things (especially since they completely passed over YP Lee after two stellar performances), I think it does point to the fact that the WC now have some of the top talent in the league. It'll be interesting seeing this team gel throughout the year. I wonder how far they can take it?[/quote]

hinges on 5 things IMO:

1. if the aging players stay healthy and relatively injury-free- koba, lee, Obrien, miller, rochat, NRC

2. the MF maintains its driving force and is able to unleash the speedy forwards

3. the young studs-- hurtado, manneh, leveron, mattocks, salgado, rusin- can be productive players

4. solid goal-keeping-- i still think we could add a better keeper--- cannon and knighton are average at best by MLS standards

5. they capitalize on more of their scoring chances which are coming in bunches this season

20. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I like Cannon, and hope Simon can develop into a better keeper of the future. I think we need to manage the "experienced players" and bring in young guys like Tiebert in the centre mid when we can to help with energy and give guys breaks. Having a variety of options going forward should keep us fresh and allow Miller some rest. I think its a matter of time before the young guys adjust and start finishing chances better... hopefully!

21. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

i thought that teibert was capable, with experience, of playing at the MLS level-- after watching him play for the Caps and national team, i just dont see him cracking the line-up or subbing in-- if possible, he should be loaned to a USL or NASL team, but the caps need 3 canadians on the roster so that is why the loan has not happened

23. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

oops-- i eat crow!! teibert started the game vs SJ-- did ok, but nothing amazing to win a regular spot

24. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I thought Teibert looked better than JMD today, and provided dangerous service on set pieces. I LIKE this kid now.