Vancouver Stadium: Waterfront Transit Hub Meetings

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by vancouversoccerman, Feb 24, 2009.

1. vancouversoccerman

vancouversoccerman New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
    (Note: To those of you not familiar with the Whitecaps Stadium situation, this is not posted as a thread to debate the Whitecaps MLS chances, but to inform Whitecaps & Vancouver stadium supporters of an upcoming event in the Vancouver area).

Hello,

As you may know, Vancouver's Friends of Soccer is represented on the City Hall advisory board on the proposed Central Waterfront Transit Hub, which directly affects transit access to the proposed Whitecaps Waterfront Stadium. This is a project that intends to combine buses, all Skytrain lines, Seabus and commuter trains in one efficient, centralized building that will be a showcase on the downtown waterfront. The hub involves land that is owned by the City, as well as the Whitecaps and several other stakeholders in the area.

The City of Vancouver will be holding open houses on the transit hub next week on:

Thursday, March 5, 3pm-7pm - Waterfront Station
    Saturday, March 7, 10am-2pm, Vancouver Public Library, Central Branch

Although much of the attention these days is on the MLS bid and the renovation of BC Place, it's important to remember that the Whitecaps still intend to pursue building their own stadium on the waterfront lands they own, in conjunction with a possible land swap with the Port of Vancouver. Building a proper transit hub in the area could be an important part of any compromise that may happen regarding the stadium.

I believe it's also important for us as soccer supporters to remind City Hall that we haven't gone away, and that as long as the Whitecaps regard BC Place as a temporary solution, we do so as well. We should also send the message that it's important for any Transit Hub on the Waterfront be properly designed and equipped to handle the crowds for any stadium the Whitecaps plan to build in the future.

We may be working for the long term here. But if we're invisible at these open houses next week, or at any stage in this process, we risk hurting any chance we have when the stadium issue rises again. While I realize the transit hub isn't directly soccer related, it does impact the Whitecaps stadium for the future.

If you live in Metro Vancouver or BC, please come to the open houses. If you live outside of BC, or can't make it to the meetings, please read the material at this website:

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/currentplanning/whitecaps/index.htm

And then please e-mail your comments in support to Matt Shilito at:

matt.shillito@vancouver.ca

Yours in Soccer,

Bill Currie
    Friends Of Soccer
    www.friendsofsoccer.org

2. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a foreigner to Vancouver (I obviously cannot attend), but a follower of the caps and USL, I have a few non-sports related questions about the stadium.

I believe funding has been approved for BC Place renovations. If the goal is to ultimately get their own downtown Waterfront stadium, how does one justify the funding for the BC Place roof? It's a weird dilemma as MLS will probably not award Vancouver a slot if they do not get the BC Place renovated.

Is there a time table for any of these actions?

3. vancouversoccerman

vancouversoccerman New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver
    It's important to remember that the BC Place renovations are not being done specifically for the Whitecaps, but to extend the life of the existing facility. This would have happened regardless of whether there was a MLS bid or not. However, the renovations allow the Whitecaps to mount a credible MLS bid now, instead of years from now when their stadium is approved.

As for a timetable, right now the Whitecaps are in negotiations with Port of Vancouver for a land swap which could accomodate their plans for the stadium. This impacts the timeline, as nothing really happens until they reach an agreement.

4. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    ...and in terms of a timetable for the BC Place renos, they are already underway.

Interior & exterior work will be completed by late 2009.

The roof work starts immediately after the 2010 Olympics, and there are varying reports about when it will be finished... sounds like it will be done just before or just after the 2011 MLS season opens.

Important to point out that games can still proceed inside even if the roof is not 100% finished.

That said, I would fully expect that the roof will be done before the MLS season... all levels of gov't are throwing lots of money around right now to speed up projects and stimulate the economy.

5. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    and to add another 'bone to the dogs' who are asking about the bc place renos (costing $ 350 000 000!!), there is no doubt more to this plan for upgrading the stadium than just an mls franchise with the whitecaps-- like a bid to be a major host city for canada's bid for the women's world cup, 2015; hosting big soccer friendlies with teams from around the world; other fifa sanctioned tournaments (we had a highly successful FIFA 2007 under 20 soccer world cup); sports tournies other than soccer -- as has been stated, the $ for renos has now been released and work has begun

6. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am glad to learn that this fight is not over. I would love to see the Whitecaps get its own soccer specific stadium.