Vancouver Southsiders

Discussion in 'Vancouver Supporters Clubs' started by Johnnie Monster, Mar 21, 2009.

1. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Not continue bickering, but look at your post... it is either redundant conversation (just boosting post count) or a backhanded swipe at the Southsiders, who already spoke on the matter in this thread and elsewhere, I believe he may have actually gone to our board and extended the offer there too.

Of course we carpool, or train or bus to Seattle and Portland. We will likely do the same come MLS. Also we have means of travel to Salt Lake, LA, and other places via Allegiant Air, who have fabulous value pricing for airfare. We also have members in the six figure earning capacity, so to make an assumption or inference that nobody could really afford to make a trip to St. Louis is absurd.

and I quote:
    We have starving students in our ranks to high earning sales pros and management types. From middle aged men to teenage girls and everything in between.

It was a very nice offer from time4wine.

2. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    to johnny ranger-- try and come to the conclusion that the Shiek loves to 'wind you up'-- dont let him get under your skin

he is probably just some 'homey' who has nothing better to do with his time-- he will never identify himself as he knows a pie is coming in his direction-- for all you know, he might already be coming to the tailgate stuff and stand next to you at the games

he has a unique sense of humor-- and is a little 'off-kilter'-- definitely not worth your time talking with him

good luck with the southsider stuff!!

3. Hippanonymous

Hippanonymous Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I would normally agree with this sentiment, but comments like "The southsiders, due to personal budgetary reasons, are mainly busers or carpoolers when it comes to away support." cannot go unchallenged.

4. Capt.Tsubasa

Capt.Tsubasa Member

Nov 20, 2007
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Condoms?! :p

5. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I said "mainly"; I didnt say ALL

6. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    you posted here to take the piss seriously you may get under JRs skin but your so transparent it is a joke. seriously grow up (this is coming from a 21 year old).

7. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    alright, Shiek has sort of apologized, lets move along now and get on topic and stop this ticky tack back and forth.

I was sadly unable to make the meet and greet and membership launch last evening... apparently it was excellent. Stay tuned to www.vancouversouthsiders.com for forum and photos of the event last evening at Cinema public house and the morning event from the Convention centre that One of our guys has up on Flickr.

8. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Going back and forth can be entertaining at times; but this thread got a bit derailed. You guys all try to discredit TheIronSheik but my intentions are in the right place.

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Hey, I'll admit that my budgetary limitations have made it so I can't even attend home games.

10. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Wow, tickets dont cost much. Have you considered having a small fundraiser with the Southsiders to buy some seasons tickets? you seem to know all the guys and I am sure they would pitch in to help you be at the games.

11. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Yeah, actually I have been offered free tickets to quite a few of the games. Due to working weekends I have had to decline.

12. TheIronShiek

TheIronShiek New Member

May 31, 2009
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Not all games are on weekends.

13. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Southsiders will live on at both Empire and BC Place.
    [​IMG]

Following negotiations with the Club, the southsiders executive board are pleased to confirm a Southside supporters section for MLS.
    Full details to follow very soon but we can reveal that all Southsiders members will have an exclusive pre-sale for our section.
    If you are not currently a member sign up asap for 2011 Membership: http://www.vancouversouthsiders.ca/join.html
    2011 Membership will include a new MLS Southsiders scarf, a limited edition 2011 pin, discounts from our partners and member only travel and tickets to away games.

14. Neals1964

Neals1964 Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Valley forge
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah not all games are on the weekends. Once the schedule is released see shat your coworkers will let you do. I make exceptions for people when I make out the weekly schedule. Unless you are a sous chef you should be good for some games.:D

15. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    The Southsider AGM will be at 730 this evening at Whitespot (Georgia & Seymour). Will include election of the Board of Directors and two special resolutions. The first referendum on the ratification of the Final Draft of the Charter. The Second being a vote on a new logo.

Afterwards we will be heading to Library Square.

Both members and non-members are welcome to both; however, only members can vote.

16. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    The Southsiders are happy to announce the election results

Club Secretary :: Shane Standing (yaletownshane)
    Club Treasurer :: James Carpenter (JCUnited)
    Director of External Communications :: John Knox (Johnnie Monster)
    Director of Internal Communications :: Drew Crampsie (drewc)
    Director of Membership & Recruiting :: Shawn Coleridge (Shawnster)
    Director of Social Events :: Chris Deal (tractor Boy)
    Director of Stadium Operations :: Brett Graham (piltdownman)

Ombudsman :: Wendy Case (Capsfan88)
    (Independent, non-voting board member)

"SPECIAL RESOLUTION: SOUTHSIDE CHARTER" passed and is now ratified.

On "SPECIAL RESOLUTION: SOUTHSIDERS LOGO" Logo C was selected;

[​IMG]

Please Note: As per the policies established in the Vancouver Southsiders foundation meetings of December 2009, the designations of President and Vice President shall be appointed to two directors by way of an exclusive, internal vote by the Executive Board. This “in camera” vote is to be held at or before the Executive Board’s first regular meeting of 2011.

Thanks to everyone who participated and Congratulations to everyone who was elected.

17. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
  18. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I hope they didn't delete the archives. I loved all the "disgrace!" threads after the Impact surrender.

19. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    The old forum is still there. It will be archived to html so history buffs can search through it.

20. piltdownman

piltdownman Member

Jun 24, 2005
    vancouver
    A few bits of important Southsiders news for all of you!

Cascadia Bus Trip: SELLING FAST!

As you may have heard by now, Major League Soccer released their 2011 regular season schedule, and the hottest topic throughout the league is our Cascadia Cup derby with Portland and Seattle.

We can get an early taste of the league's oldest true rivalry March 5 and 6, when the Caps play the Sounders AND the Timbers over an exciting weekend in Seattle.

The Southsiders have chartered a bus to take us to the Emerald City for an overnight stay, and tickets are selling quickly! If you are thinking about joining us, you really need to make your reservations ASAP!

For just $160 (includes tax) we provide:

- return transportation to / from downtown Seattle
    - overnight accommodation at the Sixth Avenue Inn
    - tickets to see the Whitecaps play Portland (Mar 5) and Seattle (March 6)
    - transportation to / from the matches at Starfire Sports Complex

The Sixth Avenue Inn is just a short walk to Pike Place Market and the historic Pioneer Square, the Seattle Space Needle and the Experience Music Project (Jimi Hendrix museum). It also features a flatscreen TV and free WiFi in every room. Downstairs you’ll find a bar and grill, a fitness centre and a 24-hour business centre for those who are interested.

This trip is open to members and non-members alike, so if you are interested in going, now is the time to get on board!

To purchase your package now, please click here !

MARCH 15: Lamplighter Pub Party!

For those of you who are not joining us in Seattle (shame on you!), we will be hosting a special event at the Lamplighter Pub in Gastown on March 15. Once there you will be able to pick up all your Southsiders membership goodies PLUS your Vancouver Whitecaps FC season ticket package. We'll also have on the MLS season opener between the Seattle Sounders and the LA Galaxy. Should be a blast!

Whether you are a card-carrying Southsider or simply a Whitecaps fan looking to pick up your season tickets, ALL FANS are welcome. However, due to the high level of interest, RSVPs are absolutely mandatory!!! The Whitecaps have also advised that you must RSVP before March 3 to ensure that your tickets are delivered to us in time for the March 15 Lamplighter bash.

We are also registering new Southsiders right there at the pub, so bring your $30 fee and we'll get you sorted!

There's more details at our online RSVP form. Just click here to let us know if you're coming!

Ruffneck Members Offer

This past week we announced that Ruffneck Scarves was coming on board as an official sponsor of the Southsiders. You can get a sneak peek at the 2011 membership scarf they have made for us here.

Southsiders are also eligible for a 15% discount on all items in Ruffneck's online store. This means you can get an official Vancouver Whitecaps FC scarf for less than $22 USD, and that includes shipping to Canada. That's almost $10 - $15 cheaper than purchasing it through other retailers!

Matchday Pub Announcement

Stay tuned for our upcoming announcement of our “home pub” for match days at Empire! We’ve partnered with a great venue that is going to offer some pretty fantastic specials for our members on game days, and they will offer other great discounts throughout the entire season!

It really pays to be a member… click here to renew online now if you haven’t already!

21. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    I follow Southsiders on twitter, and came across this blog post which I think really epitomizes why people complain about the Southsiders so much.
    http://vancouversouthsiders.blogspot.com/
    As an outsider, and I am sure I will receive ridicule and criticism from the odd southsider members on this forum, but this really got to me. You guys need to put away the raging hard on you have for yourselves. I don't know nearly enough from either side, but the Southsiders have such an Us vs. them attitude evident in this post from their president, that I don't blame people for disregarding them or not wanting to work with them. Do other FO's support their supporter group more? Maybe, I have no idea, but with the sense of entitlement that the southsiders have, why would the Whitecaps want to work with them?

I really enjoy what the Southsiders bring to the game. Its great looking across and seeing people passionate, jumping, waving flags, chanting etc. However, that's not how I want to enjoy the game, I like going to games with my old man, having a couple beers, standing when its exciting, getting into the odd chant. Johnny, you are right, I have no way to tell you how to act, to each their own. I appreciate your guys effort to enhance the atmosphere, and without you there definitely would have been something missing this year. However, I really hope in the future you guys lose the attitude that you have to fight everything, and an atmosphere where you and the club collaborates to enhance game day activities.

Seeing the ECS on the weekend was spectacular. Rather than shrugging it off, or judging the southsiders for "not being the ECS" I hope that the Whitecaps and Southsiders can work together to create that kind of support inside BC Place. This first season has been tough for everyone.