Vancouver now the frontrunner?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by morbital, Feb 20, 2009.

1. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    player development = league development

creating more talent brings up the quality of play

2. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Yeah but when people are talking about player development they are talking more of developing players to go play elsewhere in higher leagues. Good for those players but as a supporter of the Whitecaps means little to me.

Piltdownman, as you know I am also a supporter of the national team, and have made posts on boards where i have stated I prefer home grown players over imports. However as a supporter I'd take watching my team play in a higher level, more professional league even if it meant less player development. As mentioned above though, it wouldn't mean less player development.

Player development shouldn't be such a concern to fans. Teams that are serious in developing players will do just that.

3. Domenico from Chieti

Jun 3, 2008

Sure, and that means $$$ for the team and the league.

4. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090307.BCSOCCER07/TPStory/National

Congrats Whitecap Fans - looking forward to your visits to Philly and DC. Here is an excerpt from the article that I linked:

VANCOUVER -- Barring a last-minute snag, the owner of the Vancouver Whitecaps Football Club will be awarded a Major League Soccer expansion franchise by the end of this month.

Two sources requesting anonymity said this week that Greg Kerfoot, the reclusive Vancouver businessman and owner of the Whitecaps, was negotiating the final details of an agreement with MLS commissioner Don Garber.

The new MLS team would replace the existing Whitecaps club, which competes in the less prestigious United Soccer League's First Division. The new team would take the name Whitecaps and begin play in 2011.

Yesterday, Dan Courtemanche, MLS vice-president of communications and marketing, said the league hopes to announce its two successful applicants by March 31. He added that an announcement could still come before the MLS season begins on March 19.

But Mr. Courtemanche also said MLS could announce just one new team by the end of the month, and introduce a second team in April. He said the league would take additional time if needed, but expected the process would be complete by next month at the latest.

That MLS is considering separate announcements further suggests that Vancouver will receive a franchise. The Whitecaps are the only remaining bidder with confirmed financial backing and a resolved stadium plan. The new team would play in a renovated B.C. Place Stadium, which will be fitted with a retractable roof.

It is believed that negotiations between Vancouver's group, which includes NBA superstar Steve Nash and former Yahoo! Inc. president Jeff Mallett, and MLS revolve around the $40-million (U.S.) franchise fee. Many sports business experts considered that a steep price tag when expansion applications were submitted in October, and the economy has only worsened since.

A source said that, despite losing three bidders since the expansion process began, MLS considers the franchise fee non-negotiable. But the source added that MLS is well aware of the financial times and would be willing to discuss a method in which successful bidders could pay the fee over a longer period.

5. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Hasn't meant much in the past. Remembe the person mentioned that the team should stay in the USL because of better player development. USL team have been for the most part not getting much for the players they sell, especially the Whitecaps. Plus the USL doesn't get a cut if a player gets sold.

6. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hey why can he post articles and not get it erased??

7. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    First, if your going to question me, give me the courtesy of doing it in a pm.
    Second, while I too wish he had posted less of the article, he only posted about half of it - not the entire thing.

Normal procedure:
    Post the link
    Post to 1-2 paragraphs you think are most important.

It's really quite simple.

8. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    hey

Thanks for the tips....

not trying to show you up or something.....

its was made in half jest have inquiry

9. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    If it was made in jest, make it obvious with a emoticon of some sort.
    Jest/sarcasm is difficult to make clear on the internet.

10. ChefJim27

ChefJim27 Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Yeah, you poopiehead!!! :D