Vancouver instead of Toronto

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by AndyMead, Nov 19, 2004.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003

Vancouver would have to play in BC place for a while until a new stadium was built.

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/

[​IMG]

I'd hate to think it was an either/or situation for Seattle and Vancouver. Certainly Vancouver has a lot to offer. So does Seattle.

And Seattle DOES have ownership that wants MLS:

2. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    From tose Vancouver fans who do talk, one gets the feeling that Kerrfoot isn't interested in MLS given that it's too much of a money loser. The new facility being planed for the Whitecaps is supposed to replace their current home at Swanguard as the capacity there seems to get smaller year after year.

Vancouver is now in Olympic mode and surely wouldn't be interested in pusing for an MLS franchise.

3. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not opposed to the idea of adding Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal to MLS after the league gets up to 16 teams. After all, the real issue here is simply having a solid I/O above everything else. I simply think that it's would be smarter, as a matter of building general fan interest, to keep the league entirely in the U.S. for the next few years.

By the way, wouldn't Canada have to get an exemption from FIFA if they want to continue to field a nats team? That's probably the real sticking point.

4. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually, Ontario has the CPSL. At beast it is an amateur regional league. :p

5. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You guys really have an issue with Canadian teams don't ya?

Are you scared they're gonna come along and dominate MLS?

I don't get it. I think Vancouver would be a great addition, and I wouldn't rule out Montreal or Toronto either.

I hope one or all get into the league at some point. I think it's mutually beneficial from a playing and fiscal stand point, it exists across 3 other major sports and has existed in both the NASL and A League.

Sure you'd need to modify the rules slighty, but I wouldn't imagine an influx of Canadians into MLS either way. Perhaps give the Canadian teams similar rules to the US ones just in reverse....only problem then is the draft.

I think it's more a matter of a technicality than anything else.

Time to get over it, it's probably better than having a european (or mexican) team owning a side in MLS.

6. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    MLS would certainly be looking for an I/O that would be willing to work within the current MLS rules. No doubt that any I/O would rather have that than deal with the prospect of a Canada 'B' side. Even the 4 SI spots are not likely to be filled with Canadians.

7. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    1. I'd prefer to not have non-US teams in MLS for the time being.

2a. That said, if a Canadian based team is allowed, you may just see the league go "NAFTA" as far as Canadian and American players go. It's not like there's a huge number of Canadians out there waiting to displace Americans in MLS.

2b. But even if a Canadian based team had to follow MLS's American-centric player rules, I think we'll all see with Chivas that combining 4 SIs and 5 TIs with unlimited green card holders, that it wouldn't be too hard to put a mostly Canadian team together.

8. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union

bingo.

9. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The problem is that Canadians will head over to Europe because the grass is greener and the competiton is better. They move into non-UK leagues where the permit requirements aren't that much of a problem. There are a good number of Canadian players who hold EU passports.

10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I agree to a point, but right now MLS has to go where there are investment groups capable of providing financial stability. If there are owners in these Canadian cities willing to build SSS and dump a lot of cash into the league, we'll go. I also think Seattle and Rochester will join MLS. There will also be another Mexican team or two joining the league in Houston or San Antonio. It's going to get very interesting on these boards.

11. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  12. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
  13. CdnBhoy67 redded

CdnBhoy67 redded Red Card

Dec 2, 2004

Toronto will be the better site, they have a new stadium being built and none
    for Vancouver although their is rumours one might be built. Toronto has a large soccer support in the city, ditto for Vancouver,but Toronto has the CSA on their side and that will help alot. Don't know who owns the Whitecaps for sure, it might be David Brailey, but don't quote me on that.
    When the MLS comes to Canada it should be in this order:

1) Toronto
    2) Montreal
    3) Vancouver.

14. skyscraper

skyscraper Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F--- canada.

15. Stars&Bars

Stars&Bars New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    What's with the 3 teams deal! It sounds kinda greedy to me. It's an American league, Canada should be happy if they get a team at all.

16. Boyzzz Murtaugh

Boyzzz Murtaugh New Member

Jan 21, 2005
    bumping this because i've begun to hear more about this. even going as far to say the Whitecaps will be in MLS inside 5 years.

17. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How reliable is your source?

18. Boyzzz Murtaugh

Jan 21, 2005
    which one?

pretty reliable, as in league employees.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    About as reliable as Bush's WMD intel.

20. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

You say that MLS should only be for the development of US players, yet on the other hand, want the importation of cheap CONCACAF internationals. (I'm not saying you literally).

This is a recurring contradiction and one that makes me think that it's really poorly concealed anti-Canadian sentiment.

Particularly when other posters say that foreign owned teams are fine, yet chivas has just sent 8 mexicans north of the border to camp.

More than a little hypocritical I think.

I want Vancouver in. And Seattle. And Portland.

I'd also like Toronto.

I'd like markets that have rivalries and a genuine chance of success. That's why Columbus and Salt Lake could work and why these teams should be ahead of the likes of Philly.

21. Boyzzz Murtaugh

Jan 21, 2005
    No, I'd characterise these people as considerably more reliable.

Does it mean it WILL happen? No, but it def makes it worth looking at a lot more than some cities people here are looking at.

22. Aljarov

Aljarov Member

Sep 14, 2004
    fmnorthamerica.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, Toronto's MLS bid would be hard to beat if it has the owners of the NHL Maple Leafs and the NBA Raptors behind it -- plus a new SSS scheduled to open in 2007. But, MLS would be wise to locate closely at Vancouver if it comes up with a solid potential I/O. I lived in the Pacific Northwest during the mid to late 70's and, as I recall, the Vancouver Whitecaps drew very well indeed in the old NASL.

24. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    If you added Toronto, then the logical next step would be Montreal. Poms vs Frogs. Now that would really draw some interest. Vancouver only makes sense to me if you also include Seattle and possibly Portland.

25. that'sthecrewforyou

that'sthecrewforyou New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Indy
    The MLs will go where the money goes and why shouldn't they.