Vancouver Expansion Thread - Name, Colors, Logo/Kit Design

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by Z010 Union, Apr 9, 2008.

1. PeterAKer

PeterAKer New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Big British Columbia Sponsors:

BC Ferries
    BC Hydro
    BELL
    Britco
    Entertainment Arts (EA)
    The Hudson's Bay Company
    Royal Bank of Canada
    RONA
    TELUS Communications (Formerly BC Tel)
    Terasen Gas (Formerly BC Gas)

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I don't where you'd find it, but I think there was a logo in between the ones you posted (good job, btw, and welcome to BigSoccer). It was basically a cleaned up version of the first one (different font).

3. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]

Whitecaps 86 FC

Just a thought....yay nay?:D

4. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Vancouver Whitecaps or bust. I'll lobby for it just as I did "Sounders." I doubt I'm alone in that.

5. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    Here's a quick little mock up I did. Pretty similar to their current kits only with a shirt sponsor.
    [​IMG]

6. PeterAKer

PeterAKer New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    DavidP, I found the logos on Wikipedia.

Thank You for the Welcome to BigSoccer! :)

7. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could someone tell me about the rivalry between (USL) Seattle Sounders and the Vancouver Whitecaps? Apparently, the Sounders-Timbers rivalry is HUGE, but how has Vancouver factored into the NW soccer scene so far? If Vancouver joins MLS before Portland, I'm sure the rivalry with SSFC will be a given :)

Wow, this league is getting SO BIG!!!

8. Udinese1896

Udinese1896 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Nice to see VCR people getting ahead of themselves. Like the Stadium was in the bag 2 years ago. Slow down. By the time you build it the leauge will not be expanding any longer.

9. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_Cup

10. Nerroth

Nerroth Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Even before word on an MLS franchise for the Whitecaps gets out (if/when it does) I would like to see the Cascadia Cup organised between the three teams as a separate tournament (akin to the series of friendlies that the Canada Cup was going to be, before the CCL qualifier spot was put on the table) - in order to help keep the regional rivalry alive, and highlight the two teams waiting to join SSFC in MLS to fans who might not be familiar with the history of soccer in Cascadia, but who are, or will be, exposed to it through the onser of SSFC in 2009.

11. 91TFC

91TFC New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It will be interesting to see what happens.

12. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. PeterAKer

PeterAKer New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Quote from Seattle Sounders FC Website @ http://www.soundersfc.com/Article.aspx?id=1294&languageId=1033

As for future MLS expansion teams taking NASL era nicknames, Roth sees it as a market-by-market issue. Philadelphia, which was home to no less than three teams (Spartans, Atoms and Fury), will assuredly look for something new.

“Philadelphia will be different. But if Vancouver come in, I suspect they would be the Whitecaps and Portland would want the Timbers,” said Roth. “They have a similar history (to Seattle.).”

The Seattle, Portland and Vancouver USL teams all adopted the nicknames of their Seventies era NASL predecessors.

Other than Seattle, the only MLS franchise to take the name of a past NASL team is the San Jose Earthquakes.

What to Watch

14. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    can anyone tell me how big the southsiders and if there are any other supporter groups out there?

15. Udinese1896

Udinese1896 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    A total of 0 People. This group flamed out. They had lots of talk a few years ago about how Toronto did not deserve a team. Well How come Kramerherad and his band have nothing to say anymore?

16. tm13

tm13 Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rocky Mountains
    I actually signed up and voted for Sounders at the prompting of some Seattle fans. Always glad to help out a longtime regional rival. It also sets a great precedence when 82% vote WRITE-IN for the name. It wasn't even one of the 3 "official suggestions" so for it to win took a lot of effort by the Sounder fans.

I hope Montreal and I know Vancouver will keep their names. I look forward to a real MISS match :) (Montreal Impact Seattle Sounder).

Whitecaps it has been for me since the late 70s, Whitecaps it will be! I know they were called the 86ers for a while but now the universe is in alignment again.

17. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver
    well whether it's for MLS or not, the 'Caps clearly need a new, bigger stadium. Home opener was sold out last night. In fact in my opinion, it looked like it was probably over capacity judging from the fact that there were so many people in the southside, yet the stands were full as well.

18. PeterAKer

PeterAKer New Member

Apr 9, 2008
    canuck51, I was also at the game and I agree. I went over to talk to the Whitecaps Staff and they said they need this Stadium as soon as possible. They did say once we have the Stadium they will be able to join MLS almost retroactively.

Whitecaps outplayed Montréal and it was an awesome game.

Good Show Whitecaps!

19. zidja

zidja Member

Jul 26, 2006
    From the few crowd shots I saw on USL live, I was impressed with the turnout and enthusiasm. The broadcast team, camera work, and production patched over to USLlive was also big-league. (In contrast to the production value and announcers at the Miami-Battery game I skimmed through. That one.... needs improvement to say the least.)

20. NF-FC

NF-FC Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Niagara Falls
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    EA sports would be an awesome shirt sponsor. You could get the "it's in the game" guy to be your announcer :D

21. Udinese1896

Udinese1896 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Can anyone tell me why its taking so long to get approval for the Stadium. As I hear Keerfoot is paying for it so why the delay?

22. Johnnie Monster

Jul 9, 2005
    Richmond, BC
    In response to a few recent posts...

This is the original Vancouver 86ers logo in black and white. Haven't been able to find it in colour. The crest was red & yellow trim with a white interior background. The 86 was a dark blue.

[​IMG]

References to "86" are still a massive component of today's songs and chants by the Southsiders.

I for one would not be surprised if Vancouver did not seek out a corporate sponsor on the jersey. The club isn't hurting for cash by any means given the owner's finances, and they have been adamant that the new stadium (if / when it's built) will NOT sell corporate naming rights.

As for Vancouver's place in the Pacific Northwest rivalry:

Many longtime fans from the NASL days will tell you that historically, the larger rivalry is/was between Seattle & Vancouver, not Seattle & Portland.

That said, things have definitely changed over the past five years or so.

I would venture to say that Vancouver and Seattle fans who are more familiar with the USL incarnations of these clubs both consider Portland to be their most hated modern rival.

Both Vancouver and Seattle have had some very heated & physical matches with Portland, especially in the post season. And yes, there have been beefs between the supporters groups, including the occasional scrap in the stands.

I won't speak for the Timbers Army, but I'm sure they consider Seattle to be their primary rival, with Vancouver coming in at a not-so-distant second.

As for quantifying the number of Southsiders, that's a matter of perspective.

If you mean the number of people regularly participating on the chat boards, you're looking at 30. If you mean the number of people who actually stand in the Southside during games (a good portion of which will sing along with the core 30), you can be looking at anywhere from 75 to 300+ per match, depending on the weather and the opponent.

23. 91TFC

91TFC New Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It would look better without the white/blue bar. The wording should be white or whatever colour you want, like BMO is on TFC's jersey. If not, it will look like the Fires jersey.

24. Eckstoss

Eckstoss BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 31, 2007
    As a Timbers fan I would agree. Both the Seattle and Vancouver teams and their supporters can suck it, although Vancouver to a slightly lesser extent.

25. RedzFan31

RedzFan31 New Member

Jan 6, 2008
    NYC
    i concur