Van Basten's Preliminary World Cup Squad

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by ArnoldVDH, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Yes, well, Pirlo and Emerson also play the defensive midfielder position, but would you call them the same type of player? Different opposition calls for different players.

2. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Just give him a topic about Seedorf far away from this forum. Or on anything for that matter.

He makes me want to eat a pizza and I just ate one. You don't want me to eat two pizza's. Ah well, you know what I mean, I guess.

3. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    So Bertje, you think Boateng should start or be on the bench???

4. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    I think Boateng should be in the squad and should be used against players of the Riquelme-type. Well, we'll face Riquelme atleast once, so that's enough reason for me to bring Boateng.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He'd also come in handy if we were to face England in the quarters.

6. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Wierd. I swear a few months ago it was maybe windycity and myself trying to convince the whole board of Boateng in the squad.

7. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    we are geniuses

:p

8. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    But you wanted him as a ballwinner, which he is clearly not.

9. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm consulting my BBC wallchart right now and these are the most likely teams we'll be facing if we advance to the 2nd round.
    (and thats assuming there's no upsets)

2nd Round: Mexico, Portugal
    Quarters: Germany, Poland, England Sweden
    Semifinals: Brazil, Czecho, Italy, Croatia, France, Korea, Spain, Ukraine

10. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think meeting Korea or Ukraine in the semis will be a huge surprise

11. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think meeting Holland in the semis will be a huge surprise :D

12. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    huh???

13. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Davids is a ballwinner. A player who is best used behind a player who needs to see a lot of the ball. This is also why his partnership with Zidane and Ronaldinho was that good.

Boateng is a controlling midfielder. He is best used in a three man midfield as the most central player right in front of the defense. Here he takes out the opposing Zidane or Ronaldinho.

14. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    I think we're mixing up positions and types of players here. Both are ball winners in my eyes. However, Boateng is more suited for an anchorman position.

15. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Davids is no controlling midfielder. He is a two-way midfielder who is very good at winning balls and terrible at holding them.

16. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    You're very confusing, Bertje. You almost opened a different subject. I said Boateng and Davids are both ball winners, a ball winner is not a position but is a type of player and that Boateng is more suited for an anchorman("controlling midfielder") role. Where did u gather that I think Davids is a one way midfielder.

As for the other topic u brought up, Davids is Globally known for winning the ball in midfield. I think his passing, holding and dribbling skills are under rated by some people, including you. He is rated as a top 5 player(all time) in Holland, not just for winning the ball.

17. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    If someone is confusing you, you must be the one.

Boateng is rather strong and intelligent. He is good at staying close to one player and disabling that player. Don't make him do anything else. That is what a controlling midfielder does.

Davids is a skilled and strong player, but don't let him do too much or he will collapse. Remember the Davids of '98? He was winning balls for Bergkamp and was one of the best midfielders in the tournament. At the the time he was also sublime in the same role with Juventus. Here he was winning balls for Zidane. He just got the ball and gave it to Zidane.
    In 2000 Davids was used as an attacking midfielder, which is not his best role. He constantly lost the ball and instead of doing defensive work in the way of running after the ball he ran after one player (like a controlling midfielder does). Davids was not even a shadow of himself in 2000.
    Remember Davids at Barca? He was winning balls for Ronaldinho.

You are mixing up positions and roles. Sneijder can play any position in midfield, but only one role: the role of playmaker.

18. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    But I think Boateng, who's from a middle of the road outfit like Boro, will not have much success against world class players like Ronaldinho or Ballack.
    This is where I'd take Davids cause he's been to the big show(s) before.

Me thinks Boateng will be in over his head and the pressure will get to him.

19. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Did you bother to read my previous posts?

20. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yes, and what I said still stands, if it were up to me I'm bringing Davids and leaving Boateng home

21. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    They are very different and thus leaving one at home should have no consequences to the other whatsoever.

22. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Believe me it's you who's confusing. You are the one mixing up positions and roles. A ball winner is not confined to a certain position in midfield, a ball winner is a type of player. That's what I've been telling u in my last two posts. I NEVER told you Davids is best suited to play in front of the Defence and I NEVER said Boateng is not a controlling midifelder. Now the other issue, saying Davids is horrible at keeping the ball is Outrageous. Also, the observation u made in the last post is only half true. Davids is known for his good passing and dribbling as well but is underestimated by some people. Back in 98-2000, u must've missed when Davids would dribble past 3-4 players a time and hit an inch perfect pass almost every game with Juve. Dutch Legend Mauren called him Master of the pass. He wasn't and stil isn't as one dimentional as you 're making him out to be.

23. Amsteldam

Amsteldam Red Card

Oct 5, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I mostly agree with the post above.
    One thing about Davids is for sure though, he's never been a high-scoring midfielder

24. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden

Enough of this. Just tell when you decide not to read my posts next time, please.

25. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    Davids and Boateng. Both are defensive midfielders but Davids would tell you he's much better going forward than he actually is. Davids is a tackler, Boateng is nothing more than a man-marker (for a team like Holland anyways). Boateng would be very good at stifling someone like Riquelme in the way Gilberto did for Arsenal (nice mixture of actual defending and well-timed fouls), while Davids would want to cover too much field and lose that assignment.

Neither are controlling midfielders to me, as they both don't really start attacks good enough for my liking. Davids maybe used to be, but not really anymore the way say, Vieira or Xavi or Xabi does.