Van Basten - the best centre forward I`ve ever seen

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by Don Carlo, Jul 27, 2014.

1. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
  2. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    also his smartness and not as selfish as many strikers.

watch from 45 seconds in this video.. without even looking he points out to pass the ball to bergkamp whilst van basten takes away german defenders with him so bergkamp can score..

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Last week he turned 50 years old. In 1999 he was elected 'AC Milan attacker of the century', and he was the 2nd foreigner to be elected in the "Italy Football Hall of Fame". Michel Platini was the 1st foreign player to be enshrined in the hall of fame, but Van Basten was the 2nd inductee. Of the top 100 all-time Serie A goalscorers, only Nordahl, Boffi, Nyers and Hansen had a better goalscoring ratio as him (two decimals), with John Charles and Schiavio on par. All of those names were active in the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s (with Charles also playing in the 1960s, but he established his outstanding ratio in the 1950s).

In a 'Voetbal International' article he makes a few comments while he's looking at some pictures. Others make comments about him too, which I'll post later.

"I was a lot more introvert as my father. Sometimes I thought: a little bit less is allowed too. But he appreciated the attention. He hadn't experienced it in the past. I stood so often in the publicity that it made me dizzy."

"We have distributed all the pieces, gave it away and loaned out. The three Golden Balls are for example located in Milan [museum]. At home I save a few things, like some pieces of art. My father tracked everything. I don't give much value to it."

"My parents are gone. That is what you have to deal with. You clean up the house and you move on. The past few years my father had simply become old and vulnerable. In the past we spent a lot of time together. He fulfilled an important role and was dominantly present. Later in life other things came into the frame. I discovered there was more than football while he never talked about something else. Retroactively I appreciated my mother a lot more. Therefore everything became at the end better balanced."

"Leo Beenhakker was youth trainer of Feyenoord. He asked whether I wanted to move to Rotterdam. It was a careless time. Everything revolved around the football sport."

[​IMG]

"I know that I had a look in the mirror of the dressing room and thought: Yes, that shirt is a good look. And that close to everyone at the sidelines had tattoos. Thereof I hadn't seen many in my life. A strange atmosphere floated around, let I put it that way."

"Most of the boys were unfamiliar to me. Together with Edwin Godee I had moved from Elinkwijk to Ajax. He came for the 2nd team, I was initially meant for the junior team ('A1'). Our parents interchanged each other for catching us and moving away. Hassie van Wijk trained both the A1 as the reserve team. I managed to differentiate myself and at a certain moment he said: 'You can train at the 2nd team from now on.' That was also for him a practical solution. In the beginning I played my matches for the A1. Every week I scored two, three or four goals. There was no nationwide league, so it fell a bit too easy to my way. They found it convenient if I moved permanently to the 2nd team. Stage fright was felt, it was after all Ajax... But that first year at Ajax was a very pleasant one. Johan Cruijff came back from a groin injury and trained regularly with us. We found that very good for our self-esteem."

About other Ajax players from Utrecht, with whom he became national champion in 1985, and was captured in a picture: "Rob [de Wit] is someone I saw with vacations at Lake Garda. Gerald [Vanenburg] is known from the youth football in Utrecht. During the winter we played indoor football, and he was tremendously good at it. Gerald went very rapidly to Ajax, he was the big talent. Who wasn't raised in Amsterdam was in the past seen as a provincial farmer, peasant or who knows what. It was also tiresome for us. Then it is the trick to maintain yourself, conquer a place in that world."

The 1983 Youth World Cup: "Still the youth tournament with the highest average attendance." Van Basten scores in the quarter-final but loses. "We played in León, at two hours afternoon at a temperature of 43 degrees. In the 89th minute we lost that match. To my mind it was the first time I was so far away from home with the plane. We were sonnies that just wanted to have a nice match, like we in reality always did. The Argentinians were good, but above all meaner. Purely aimed at the end-result. For us it was an enormous experience to receive. At that age, at that entourage; that is what you take into your luggage. You see it too: boys like Vanenburg, Van 't Schip, Silooy and Been also made it to the senior national team."

"In that period I weighed 72 kilograms. A few years later, ending in Milan, it was 82 kilograms [at 1.90m]. That was purely muscle mass. I grew initially in the length, thereafter horizontally. I became thicker and firmer. It was because I trained a lot, and even then not so much the force."

About the groundsman: "That room was his terrain and Sjakie was busy with a lot of things, but everyone was always welcome for a talk. His input shouldn't be underestimated. For a lot of people it used to be an important place."

About the 1986 overhead kick against Den Bosch (a week before he fatally injured his ankle...): "Well then, this picture is indeed part of it when you talk about the goals."
    Gazzetta dello Sport wrote once: "Light in his movements like a firefly, blessed with the pace of an antelope and the killer-instinct of a cat." Van Basten: "The advantage of me as centre-forward was my versatility. I was quick, so you could play with me on the counter-attack. I was dexterous, so I could do a few things in the small spaces. And when a header had to be made, I was physically ready for the job. It was possible to play chess."

The 1987 Cup Winners Cup final: "I remember strongly I thought in the afternoon: 'Here it is. I receive now this opportunity. Take it! Because otherwise it might become a difficult barrier in the future.' It is remarkable it was felt so strongly that day. That is... practical. Apparently the sober-mindedness was a part of me."

"You need to have the quality for arriving somewhere. But at the end of the day it is the reality that you make the difference with your character and personality. That you can impose on yourself the need to win, no matter what. Regularly, after a week where I've seen some football on television, nowadays I still mull over this thing when I sit in the car. If you're adequately convinced that only the win counts, your brain imagines a way to accomplish it. That can be tactically or technically, mentally or physically. And that makes a good player a famed one."

The euro88 final goal: "It was a ball about which you think: 'What do I have to do?' I had to trap the ball high in the air and in a crowded area, tired. Yes, and then I gave it a try."
    "Johan advised me to not go to the tournament. It is a special chapter. The good part is: I worked really hard for this. For a long time the wind was against me. When I was finally allowed to make my entrance
    , I took the chance with both hands. The wind blew at last in my back. Whether that is luck or enforced, I don't know. Everyone meets setbacks. The question is then: how do you overcome? By scuffling and staying focused. This attitude will finally pay off. OK, in case of me it took on extreme forms. But it is encapsulated in that message."

"Every game against Napoli was a fight. In the initial years, when Maradona was for real in top shape, it went up and down. Later on they waned and we passed around them in a few matches. I remember a match we won with 5-1, with me scoring four times. In the Netherlands I was concerned with developing myself to a fine player. Then you arrive in Italy and you're exposed every week. The Serie A became bigger and fancier. What you see now in Spain and England, was back then united in one country. It was by a mile the best league. All big chaps walked around over there. With Milan we had the capability to play in a dominant fashion. In terms of status and power you might compare it with Barcelona and Real Madrid in the modern time. Wherever we came, it was sold out. In the Netherlands a television programme surfaced that was called 'Studio Italia'. True, we were popular."

[​IMG]
    "Those two [Rijkaard & Gullit] insisted that I placed the crown on my head. They were immovable. Then I did."
    "This was of course absolute class. So much is inside this, you don't unite this again very quickly. I mean, we together really won everything, except the world championships for countries. Ruud was a phenomenon. Frank was a phenomenon. I wasn't a bad player either. So yeah, you make the call."

[​IMG]

"The apparatus of Illizarov. It was the hell." After countless surgeries, he tried this piece named after a Russian surgeon. Van Basten had to tighten the screws twice a day. "And they broke down too... In Belgium doctor Martens said: 'We can try, in any case it will not become worse.' After three months the screws were removed and it was a lot worse.'
    His father complained the butchers on the field had done their job. "It were not necessarily just the defenders. Football can be rough, that is what you know in my position. My problem was enclosed in the fact that the doctors were often on the wrong track. In 1986, when I first broke down due to that ankle against Groningen, a photograph was already made. 'Nothing is going on', they said. Afterwards it turned out that certainly something serious was wrong. The rain became a storm. Multiple wrong diagnoses ruined me more than hacks from defenders. As far as I'm concerned there is no single main culprit. Nobody did it on purpose. But it is true that I was left holding the baby."

"I never had something with the blind adulation. Ruud Gullit was incredibly popular in Italy. His disadvantage was that he was recognizable from one hundredth meters distance. Frank Rijkaard had more or less the same. I was able to dribble through this quite well. In case of me it was ambiguous. Wanting to be very good on the football field, but travelling back home like a wood worker. That is a little bit my deficiency. On the one hand you was eager to make the books, but on the other hand you want to blend in the masses. It is a difficult cocktail."

"It is important that children do especially the things they like. As a parent you try to stimulate this. I would've liked it a lot if he had loved football, and became occupied by it. Just like my daughters are possessed by field hockey and equestrian. It has a lot to do with your person. If you possess the mentality to differentiate, it is good. If you don't, you hurt yourself. My son doesn't feel the need to be distinctive through sport. He isn't occupied by it. And that is great."

"That Capello was crying, I only saw that later. Those television images moved me. He himself has a history with his knee and experienced my anguish from close range. Our bond was very good. For a time we were together invincible. Our first defeat together was after one-and-a-half year, in the European Cup final against Marseille in 1993. It turned out to be my last game."

About a 1999 exhibition match: "It is just a pity that I had to end my career so premature due to that ankle, because I'm still a person who likes to play. Whether it is golf, tennis, skiing or football: I'm an animal that likes to move around. If you're allowed to stay on that field where I hadn't been before, despite the limitation of my ankle, I still lose myself in the game. And then I feel an incredible pain at the next two days."

"I find it terrible to watch sportspeople who are old and worn out. Johan moved around for some while in a supple fashion. Was able to dictate play with his class and ideas about football. That is what the people enjoy. Maybe it was contagious, because I had of course the right to stay on the bench. I knew: 'It looks horrible and I will feel it.' Nevertheless I did. I believe Johan broke his elbow and had to go to the hospital. But he didn't want to capitulate. Eventually there is nothing more enjoyable as playing the game by yourself. Actually, everything has always happened in a natural way. Maybe all fell into my lap and I failed to appreciate it, by which I... I don't know. What I know is how special it felt to stay on that field and experienced great joy."

"John [van 't Schip] and I were quickly part of the 'Cruijff circle'. We were very close in the past and later on we both played in Italy. We were attackers and we both thought similar about the sport. Of course has Johan played an important role. Even though our roads separated after the national team period [as manager], we followed each other. In the football world contact can diminish if you're far away. But the more intensive you've worked together, the stronger the tie. Also when I see Stanley [Menzo] and Rob [Witschge] there's still a click."

There are some parts about his time as NT manager but I skipped that.

About his current day relationship with his once mentor Cruijff he said to the largest press agency (ANP): "In the period I was manager at Ajax a vision was proposed by Cruijff that I didn't share. I didn't feel the appetite to follow him and therefore disagreement originated. In the years after our friendship diluted and I didn't feel the necessity to search for contact, and apparently it is the same for him. I still find Cruijff a very friendly man but I don't invite him for Friday on my birthday party. It is regretful but that's the way the cookie crumbles."
    http://www.goal.com/nl/news/213/eredivisie/2014/10/30/5623341/cruijff-niet-op-feestje-van-van-basten
    http://ajaxfanzone.nl/2014/10/30/van-basten-viert-vrijdag-vijftigste-verjaardag-maar-zonder-cruijff/

Gregoriak and annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  4. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Juventus Football Clube Ajax Mineiro de Deportes
    Jun 11, 2012
    this part hits nothing ;)

5. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    This is the contribution of Arrigo Sacchi:

"Diego Maradona, the Brazilian Ronaldo: phenomenons who had in terms of absolute talent more lodged in their home. Nonetheless is Marco van Basten for me the best attacker ever. No attacker worked more for the team, departing from the collective thought and ideas, than Marco. Therein lies an essential difference with the other strikers I had at AC Milan. But I especially remember him as the gracious, modern attacker with qualities that are past all beliefs.
    I see him arriving at the club. A young man, very talented. I can't remember the reports that Milan tried to sign Ian Rush. When I started at AC Milan in 1987, I knew nothing better as that Marco had to become the man for the centre forward position. For him and also Ruud Gullit I suppose it was a massive change to move from Holland to Italy. But Marco was very eager. Unfortunately his first season wasn't fantastic due to his ankle injury. We doubted whether he should actually participate at euro88. In Germany I've been looking with the club president to see to which level Marco was recovered. And then there was the match against England, where he scored three times... Then I knew it would fit good too at AC Milan for the time being.
    In the subsequent years he proved himself as a top player. That he won the Ballon d'Or three times still makes me genuinely proud. For my spell at Milan the goals and personality of Marco turned out to be incredibly important. I can say that the Milan team of the late 80s belongs to the most impressive teams in history. 'Il Tre Olandesi' were phenomenal, had each different qualities. And Marco himself also knew a lot about football, he really immersed himself. We had so incredibly often a discussion. About the tactics, he asked for example why and how we should both win and play attractive football. It hasn't surprised me that he became a trainer after a while. For that Marco has the character, charisma and the knowledge as well.
    I really needed to convince him that my philosophy and vision was the right one. At his first season he immediately asked for an explanation, when I placed him on the bench for once... My relation with the football player Marco is often described as 'difficult'. But certainly with the benefit of hindsight I find it beautiful how involved he was. As a human I rate him in particular very high."

JamesBH11 repped this.
  6. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Ruud Gullit:

"When you ask me to think about Marco, I see an afternoon at the trainingcenter of AC Milan in front of me. Silvio Berlusconi passed by at Milanello. Marco and myself had not experienced this yet. Loaded with expectations we sat waiting with the other players. At the moment Berlusconi entered the room, all players stood up. Except us, the two foreign boys of the Netherlands. We looked at each other: 'What is happening here?' Meanwhile everyone else was looking to us. Then we stood up too. Afterwards we couldn't stop laughing. That was a good first impression.
    I laughed a lot with Marco anyway. He has something disarming around him. And his fanaticism was legendary. Marco was a striker in all his veins. Thus he became moody when he hadn't scored for a while. At half-time he stood shouting in the dressing room how isolated he was. Then I only laughed, I said he should relax down, he should stand at positions one is actually able to score a goal and that I would deliver a few balls to him. One goal later and a broad smile appeared on his face.
    Marco is a fantastic human being and as a football player he was even more special. Because he mastered all aspects of the game. One has finishers, there are strikers who can play along with the team, but Marco was the complete striker. He was able to do it all. Scored with both feet and with his head, created opportunities by himself, had a sensory awareness of the spaces around him and bit off in the personal duels. Even when his team failed to control the play, whether it was at Milan or at the national team, then he was able to make the difference on his own. He was the best striker I happened to play with.
    That he stopped as main coach was a shock for me. I had the impression it pleased him well. Then you see again that one shouldn't judge a person too soon. What you see at the outside, doesn't necessarily tell what takes place inside someone's head. I find it a brave decision to prefer job under the lee. And that AZ wanted to continue with him, I find that very positive. In this manner Marco can stay involved close to the game at a for him pleasant way. I hope he will enjoy what he does long after his fiftieth birthday. That is good for himself and good for the sport in the Netherlands."

Prof. Dr. Marc Martens:

"Our memories are definitely not a happy one. Because we didn't accomplish what we hoped for. Unfortunately we both met our limit. I treated him two times, for the ankle and for the cartilage. He was at the peak of his powers, but the ankle couldn't continue. That I had to tell face to face the message to Marco that it was over, was experienced as terrible. Also because I saw for two years with my own eyes how he fought for his own career.
    The relationship between doctor and patient is one between hope and illusion. When a surgery succeeds well, a close tie originates. But if the illusion becomes a disillusion, it is for both more difficult. After all it is- rightly so - expected that the doctor cures the client. For Marco it was very hard to turn off the lights and stop. Even though he reacted very mature at the bad news talk, very realistic. He also realized the slim chances. Even with the technology and possibilities of today it is still a very difficult injury to treat. Many others had quit many years earlier at a similar situation. And also my own person would have stopped the treatment much earlier as well in case of different patients.
    With Marco I think we went to last-ditch for saving his ankle. For a long time we worked closely together, with Marco periodically passing by. Then you build something together; also for the doctor an emotional part comes around the corner. Marco's positivism, his drive has always stuck in my memory. To revalidate from a heavy injury like this one means suffering at every day of the week, hurting your morale as well.
    Eventually the end-result decides everything. Does the treatment connect, then the painful efforts were worth it. If not, then negative feelings predominate. It has to be like that with Marco too. We haven't had contact after the treatment. Of course I understand that some frustrations broke lose at Marco, but we have together spoken out everything.
    What stays in my memory is the special personality Marco was and still is. For me it was an enrichment to work with someone like him. Though it remains difficult that we didn't reach our target. For the patient it is the hardest. For the doctor every failure keeps hanging around longer in your mind as a medical success. In that sense the failed mission has also marked me, something I have learned to live with."

Next up will be Fabio Capello.

http://www.football-italia.net/57977/sacchi-van-basten-best-all-time

I see here above that 'aanvaller' is translated as 'striker', but the literal translation of the word is 'attacker'...

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Fabio Capello:

"When I see the images of Marco his farewell in San Siro, I still feel the same emotions of that time. It felt incredibly unjust that Marco had to stop. He was way too young, at the age of 28 you have to be at the peak of your career. As coach in the Serie A and also in Spain I've worked with several top attackers: Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Raúl. But Marco is the best, the most exceptional I've worked with.
    Before I became the manager of AC Milan in 1991, I followed Marco from a distance. His goal against the Soviet Union is in the european championships final is legendary. I don't believe another player has performed something similar on a crucial moment like this. We were all proud when Marco scored against Goteborg four times as first player to do so, a great performance. But equally impressive in my opinion was a certain free kick in the Serie A. The whole week we had worked intensively on the positioning of the body, refining the moment of hitting the ball. In that match Marco lifted the ball exactly over the wall in the goal, in the way we had practised and fine-tuned. It is no secret at all that I've often shown footage of him to the other attackers I worked with at a later date. How he moved, how he manipulated his opponents.
    In Milan we had fine and substantial discussions about football. When he stopped, I allowed Marco to walk alongside me at Real Madrid when the job of trainer was still far away for him.
    Marco has occasionally said I was important for his career. But just as much he has been important for mine. Of course because he performed fantastically. But Marco is even a good friend, with whom I developed a good bond. In Milan we lived close to each other, I knew his wife Liesbeth and his children. You know, there are too many good memories to mention them all.
    Afterwards I often thought back about certain moments. Probably the centre-forward Marco deserved more protection and would have excelled for longer, maybe it was a mistake to take that final surgery. Meanwhile a lot of time has passed and a lot has changed in football. The feeling I had to say goodbye too soon to the striker Marco van Basten has never left me."

Rinat Dasayev:

"Both we are forever remembered by that single moment. He bit more than me of course. Which is also fair, the hero deserves more attention as the schlemiel. I'm the supporting actor in a play that has received a place in football folklore.
    He is only now 50 years old? I already reached that age in 2007... That was celebrated with a tribute match where among others also Aron Winter was present. Strange, in my perception all players of the 1988 final had already reached their 50th birthday. But we weren't all of the same age of course. I became during the championships 31 years old, thus Marco was a fair bit younger than me.
    It remains forever a waste that his career couldn't continue for longer, and be more successful. I wish it to nobody. I've heard he had to take a step back as main coach. A pity, but it is the way it goes. Once I had also others ambitions, but sometimes your aren't the person in command. After my career a had a difficult time, which I managed to overcome. As keeper trainer and assistant coach I'm able to transfer my knowledge at Spartak Moscow. Marco can do the same too, whether it is as main coach or as assistant.
    His high point was my low point you can say. Not so much because of the wondergoal, but because it was a chance for a big trophy. That was the chance. I was in the best form of my life, but even at my peak I was unable to catch the phenomenal attempt by Van Basten. It was a lucky goal, but a goal certainly only he was able to create. Only he was able to do it. No one expected that he would take a shot on goal, I didn't expect it either. He shouldn't be allowed to take a shot. The cross of Arnold Mühren travelled for a long time. A defender stood in between, who should have prevented any premature attempt. For a long time I refused to see the images. I didn't feel the need for it, it was felt as too painful. I knew the reach of my arms couldn't catch the ball, to face that yet again... As connoisseur it remains a fantastic goal of course, as goalkeeper it is a different piece of cake. You see you are without any chance, while you are always standing inside the field with the assumption that you can save every ball."

8. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    Puck, i believe you might be the best person the answer this question:
    Why did cruijff feature v. basten as an outside right in his "oranje van de eeuw" formation? Lenstra and cruijff himself were faster and more attuned to that position. Especially wilkes would have been a much more suited choice imho.

9. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Goal.com featured it's BEST XI BALLON D"OR ALL TIME

11- Messi (4)
    10- Platini (3)
    9- Van Basten (3)
    8- Cruyff (3)
    7- Ronaldo (2.9 LOL)
    6- Di Stefano (2)
    5- Beckenbauer (2)
    4- Zidane (1) ???
    3- Canavaro (1)
    2- Mathauss (1) ? as DF?
    1- Yashin (1)

[​IMG]

10. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    judging by the color of ronaldo's shirt, it is not cristiano 2.9 but luis ronaldo 2.0

leadleader repped this.
  11. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting to see that:
    http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...r99.november.oranjevandeeeuw.html&prev=search
    I think he picked the team in an old fashioned WM formation but with himself in the even older fashioned 'Sindelar' type centre-forward role or perhaps in the 'Hidegkuti' deep-lying centre-forward role. I suppose he thought well Wilkes was an inside right mainly so I'll put him there, but to me yeah it might seem better to have Van Basten more inside (especially if Cruyff is dropping deep as he did in his time in the 4-3-3 anyway so surely would be in such a team) and Wilkes using his dribbling as a winger. Maybe it's even meant to be a 2-3-5 if Rijkaard's role is like the old fashioned centre-half. like Sindelar's teams would have contained (which would mean Gullit would be a 'full back' due to his versatility - I'm sure he'd prefer to be more involved than that though!).

12. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think on that one James means Brazilian Ronaldo almost won the Ballon D'or in 1996 (and did win World Player of the Year).

13. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #138 PuckVanHeel, Nov 10, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
    Leo Beenhakker:

"My oldest memory about Marco dates back to the season 1975/76, when we played with the youth of Feyenoord in a youth tournament at the UVV terrain. In that time one wasn't ran over by staff and assistants and I trained at Feyenoord also the A1, B1 and C1 without being titled 'head youth education' or something like that.
    At the end of the season we had those tournaments. Marco stood out. He was a kid of 11 years old who collected the ball at his goalkeeper, passed the ball two times and created a chance. It made me deeply impressed that I stepped towards his father Joop with the question whether he might play at Feyenoord on Saturday. Joop regarded his son as too young, and he was right about that. But it was a boy that emitted the rare absolute desire to win.
    The second time I met Marco was when became interim national team manager in 1985. We played three games on the road to the 1986 World Cup, but unfortunately we didn't make it. After that I came across him in 1990, but when and where exactly has escaped my mind. When I worked at Real Madrid we played of course a few times against AC Milan and in 2000 I lured him to Ajax. I was technical director and I wanted to recruit Marco for the youth. He had initially a total lack of interest, but eventually he agreed and did an internship. Slowly he became more enthusiastic about the job of trainer. I tried to give him a little push, because I find it important that former players transfer their knowledge. It made me happy that Marco picked up the baton.
    When we speak or meet each other today, the contact is cordial. I have a lot of respect for him and I find him an amiable human being. During the fuss at AZ I sent him a text message for wishing him the best. We never talked about the 1990 World Cup with each other. That group of players wanted Cruijff as national team manager and was afterwards never a group again. I was unable to touch them, so I failed. In essence it is that simple. But that subject has never formed an insurmountable barrier in our subsequent contact."

Jürgen Kohler (text has a few German words, which is not rare for German speakers in a interview for a Dutch publication, and I chose to keep it that way):

"One of the loveliest gestures of Marco van Basten remains for me the moment after AC Milan-Juventus, I believe in 1991. We had won the game with 2-1. For me it was surprising that Marco asked after the game me to exchange shirts. I mean, also Salvatore Schillaci, Roberto Baggio and Pierluigi Casiraghi stood on the field, I wasn't exactly an 'Ausnahmespieler' at Juventus... Yet Marco asked, Milan their greatest treasure at that time, my shirt. We were big rivals, but there was also mutual respect. Out of that one gesture showed what an 'aussergewöhnliches Mensch' he is.
    For club and country I played certainly some twelve to fifteen games directly against him. Without exaggeration he is the best attacker that I've faced in front of me. Not even his adequate dribbles and one-against-one were the most dangerous, his mobility was, his first touch, the turning away with the ball... That he decided on his own the euro88 semi final was for me a hard lesson. First the undeserved penalty that he received, subsequently he made a clever goal where I was outsmarted. I was involved at both goals.
    Well, I've known it all. After years of prosperity faced now an opponent who outsmarted me. In that sense the game in 1988 against the Orange national team, the individual battle with Van Basten, was a turning point for my own successful career. With as high point the 1990 World Cup where the roles became reversed.
    Privately we never had contact. Yet I regard our certain 'Konstellation' something rare, which I didn't have with another striker. Before games, in the Serie A or with the national team, there was often a moment of recognition, during the warm-up or in the player tunnel. Marco who gestured that he would make one or two. Or me who showed with my best mimic that nothing was up there for the taking today. In a sportsmanlike way he stirred me up. A German match report described us once as a Siamese twin. I never let him escape out of my eyesight. "Scheisse", he said sometimes in his best German, after which I said in my best Dutch "Godverdomme". Marco chuckled about these things.
    Because I live in the vicinity of Kerkrade, I take occasionally a look at Roda JC. Past season I also visited a game of SC Heerenveen. Marco didn't see me of course on that evening, but certainly I did notice him. Secretly I wanted to ask what he has done with my Juventus shirt. His Milan shirt is to this day proudly taken care and preserved by me."

That was the last piece.

In the newspaper there was also a tribute by Basile Boli. Boli (also) said Van Basten was the best opponent he faced. The best sentence by Boli was: "a cat with nine lives; resurrecting from the death time and time again." Something he apparently also stated recently against L'Equipe. Against L'Equipe he cited as reason for why he was the best opponent: "he had all qualities".

Interesting is too how it is sometimes believed that Boli has bragged about being the one who ended his career. "His final injury was called Basile Boli", he has proudly said (he has also said elsewhere that MvB himself told him that).

Someone here at a Liverpool board cites a FourFourTwo interview with Boli, where he was apparently bragging too:
    http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=273412.0

Boli his 'dream eleven':
    "Even if it was I who stopped his career, I put Marco van Basten in attack. As he said recently, May 26, 1993 was not a good day for him."
    http://www.sofoot.com/le-onze-de-reve-de-basile-boli-154615.html

Or a youtube video that is now offline (where he was apparently claiming it as an achievement too):
    http://www.jeuxvideo.com/forums/1-10457-3804677-1-0-1-0-0.htm

http://www.soccerreportextra.com/co...other-sports-can-learn-from-marco-van-basten/

http://soccer-europe.com/Biographies/VanBasten.html

However, Boli says here ( http://www.sofoot.com/basile-boli-m...disaient-de-les-lacher-maintenant-169903.html ): "j'arrête la carrière de Van Basten sur un tacle par derrière, un peu méchant. Un regret." Which translates as (if I'm not mistaken but I think I'm right):
    "I stopped the career of Van Basten on a tackle from behind, a little nasty. Regret."
    'Un regret' hints anyway at some sort of remorse.

PDG1978 repped this.
  14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Cruijff only said as explanation that he thinks Van Basten at his best was able to do that outside-right job well. Maybe he had the days he worked with MvB in mind. When Cruijff was manager of Ajax, Van Basten also played some 15-20 games on midfield with #6 as shirt number (about 12-15 games in the league). One can see it on the footage. Or in friendly matches (no competitive games) Van Basten as sweeper. It can be that his own daily experiences (1985-1987) influenced him more than anything else. In that period Van Basten was also sometimes used in a right of center position for the national team.

I agree with both of you that it is more logical to me that MvB moves to the center and Cruijff to inside-right. Cruijff was in 1966 by a Romanian paper bracketed as an inside-right ( http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showpost.php?p=15937674&postcount=279 ).

By the way - in case it is unclear - Van Basten doesn't talk in the above interview about the 1999 Orange team of the Century parade, but about this exhibition match (he looks uneasy in that video, to me). Which was his first appearance, and a surprise appearance (i.e. not listed in the match programme and announcements), after his retirement.

But so far I can only see Cruijff saying that he thinks MvB was a good player for the outside-right role.. Sorry!

15. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I had a thought afterwards that it could be that he was thinking of a front 3, with Wilkes and Lenstra coming forwards from behind, and Cruyff dropping deep and roaming as the total football centre-forward. Maybe with Keizer playing like Rensenbrink in 1974 and Van Basten coming into the centre as Rep often did in that team? Also, if Wilkes was of his favourite (along with Albert of Hungary) he might have wanted him in 'his' position of inside right maybe (and of course his dribbling would be very useful there). Van Basten being complete could surely play well there, but yeah centre-forward seems his obvious role in any best XI, even trying to fit so many great attacking players in.

16. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    i don't want to spin this thread, but i find it an interesting puzzle trying to fit the optimal team. my biggest question mark is lenstra. his club record is second to none and his nt record is excellent for a player that featured left, right and behind his normal position of forward. but how is he rated compared with his comtemporate wilkes? some footage would make this so much easier.

17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Agreed. I think Puck can give a little insight into how they were seen in the old days, but it could be Lenstra retained more fame in Holland while Wilkes was highly rated Internationally while he played abroad. Cruyff himself favours Wilkes (and I assume rates him higher - Puck may have posted to that effect before IIRC?) but I think there is probably split opinion within the Netherlands amongst the older population - both seem to have been referred to as best Dutch player before Cruyff I've noticed IIRC.

That team, using an old formation, is maybe even attacking by my standards! But I would say Rensenbrink and Bergkamp would come into my thoughts too anyway.

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #143 PuckVanHeel, Nov 10, 2014
    Yes, you're right about all of that. I'd give the nod to Wilkes because he was among the best players in three different leagues, basically (Dutch, Spanish and Italian). It was in a pre-globalization era, one might say, and he made quite an impact in both the Spanish and Italian league (turning professional at the age of 26!!). Take it with a pinch of salt but that's my impression. Lenstra was determined to stay amateur.
    One thing that doesn't make it easy is also because it is a bit divided among fan loyalties. In Friesland it is almost blasphemous to not rate Lenstra for ex. He has a statue, a stadium named after him...
    I had once a look at how foreign papers reported games against the Dutch NT (I think you remember Wilkes against England in 1946? The press reactions? He had at least an assist and was also involved in the other goal I think) and you can go either way. I think there's also more footage for Wilkes as for Lenstra, next to the fact that he was observed in three different leagues.
    Wiel Coerver, a sensible man, said some 15 years ago (2001) that Wilkes was in his approach closer to Zidane while Lenstra was more like Rivaldo. For explaining the differences in a simple manner to a younger public, he elaborated.

dailymotion

http://www.11freunde.de/artikel/zum-4-todestag-von-faas-wilkes

19. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    great stuff! that is all the confirmation i needed considering lenstra next to cruijff and wilkes. my fourth attacker will be a hard choice between robben, v basten and a freekick specialist i won't mention.
    cruijff's idea of 5 or 6 attackers seems just too imbalanced to my taste.

since puck's knowledge of the dutch is so vast, i'll take the opportunity to ask the expert's opinion on rinus israel vs aad mansveld. the man of 1970 vs the local legend.

20. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Don't ask a Feyenoord fan :) It is difficult for me to argue otherwise and TBH I can't personally see the case for Mansveld (though unlucky to be injured in 1974). I'm not one of the proper persons to ask this ;)

You can also read this as good insight about his playing style, which was when Wilkes deceased:
    http://www.volkskrant.nl/sport/peiling-wilkes-fenomeen~a759029/

Van Basten said back then (in link above): "I never saw him playing in person, though I saw the television images of course. He was gracious and technically gifted. A tall man too, a lot taller as most other extraordinary dribblers. An important figure for Dutch football. And he was the idol of Cruijff, that is peculiar."

Oh, forgot to say too that the 'Voetbal International' issue had a long piece by Zlatan Ibrahimovic too (about four times longer as Kohler, Capello etc.). He explained in great length and detail how MvB has helped him and also thanked Capello, who used footage of MvB to make a few things clear to him. But is is a very long piece and something similar, Ibrahimovic saying he is indebted to him (in French and Italian publications), was already posted earlier by JamesBH11 in this same thread. So in essence he doesn't say anything new in that long piece.

21. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    ok, that defaults the position to israel, i'm sure that a feyenoord fan can approve. unless you see a better fit? mansveld btw, was the creator of "het haags kwartiertje", which people even now still refer to.

22. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, that is right. That's why you shouldn't ask me :) Mansveld was also perceived as more stylish and possessing more flair on and off the pitch (clearly a better speaker off the field). I see now there's quite some material on youtube, incl. a game where he scored three goals (two penalties though) against West Ham United in a Cup Winners Cup match, so if you want you can create an approximate idea by yourself. It's a bit offtopic indeed, but you can look at YT and I admit that Mansveld clearly wins it on style and flair. Like you said, Israel was the hero of the 1970 European Cup final with a goal and a nice long ball assist... But maybe it is not the right place here to spin the thread like you said.

23. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Of course it was Ronaldo fenomeno!

R9 (the youngest EVER at 19yrs old) won WPOY in 96 and also was so close in 96 Balllon D'or (lost by 1 vote to Sammer) so = 2.9

annoyedbyneedoflogin repped this.
  24. annoyedbyneedoflogin

Jun 11, 2012
    thanks for pointing out the video material. after watching most of it, i still am clueless if mansveld could actually defend, let alone beat israel. although he beat israel at the nt selection at one point. he was more dynamic, playing in front of the defense when behind. indeed his flair and character might have helped him with his reputation.

perhaps a new super talent should come along for a spot in the back 4, as to forget the dinosaurs.
    what would van basten think about all of this? would he favor ron vlaar again?;)

25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    #150 PuckVanHeel, Nov 10, 2014
    He was actually 20 years old when the 1996 Ballon d'Or winner was announced (born 18 September 1976). Yes, he lost by 1 point (not: vote) and received the most 1st place votes in 1996; 16 vs 13. In 2002 he won the award while not receiving the most 1st place votes; 16 (again) vs 23 this time, and a gap of 24 points (52 voters).

On the subject of this thread, here a few excellent articles:
    http://www.11freunde.de/artikel/zum-50-geburtstag-von-marco-van-basten
    http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ronald-koeman-one-one
    http://lettura.corriere.it/il-canto-del-cigno-van-basten-amico-fragile/
    (nice quote by Maradona there too)

With also Shevchenko, Nordahl, Altafini later on in the video... (though it shows mostly the goals I think; noticed a nice play at 27:10 and between 22:12 and 22:45 after skipping through)

JamesBH11 repped this.