VALENCIA vs REAL MADRID | La Liga Jornada #27 | 02.03.24 | 21:00 CET

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by MiamiNative0722, Mar 1, 2024.

1. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    saadomar, Ahmadi8, Deep Pal and 3 others repped this.
  2. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yup, until extra time in the 2nd half he was actually having a really good game. Him giving out a yellow card to their forward in the first 5 min for that terrible challenge is virtually impossible in Spain, somehow cards only come out for cynical fouls min 75+. The penalty call though was terrible.

temesgen repped this.
  3. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Vini should speak up about the racist posts against the Valencia player. For his Netflix doc and stuff.

Deep Pal repped this.
  4. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's funny how there's so many opinions about how the people suffering from racism should act but not nearly as much about the people doing the abuse.

Shay Z, Zidane05, Glide84 and 6 others repped this.
  5. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    The price of fame.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Could also be interpreted as Vinicius shitting it and walking away from trouble. :D

Although in his defense practically 99% of players are all talk.

7. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I like this new narrative of Madrid players "protecting" Vini. No dude, the players are all sick of this shitshow and want to play ball. The drama and shenanigans only benefit the smaller team. The less football is played, the better for them, and Vini has still not understood that.

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hugo Duro said he told Vinicius running to celebrate in front of the Valencia supporter block causes unnecessary trouble and Vinicius asked him "well, why are you doing it?" Hugo Duro responded with "because I play for Valencia"

For a neutral this is prime spectacle.

hector_br repped this.
  9. laundromat

laundromat Member

Jul 20, 2014
    imagine being Hugo Duro and thinking you are the one that is going to change Vinicius Jr

Ahmadi8 and MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  10. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine citing Hugo Duro a handful of times as if anyone should care what he thinks. Same guy who prior to this game said “only 3 or 4 people racially abused Vinicius” when there are videos of hundreds of people chanting monkey at him.

Works cited:

Shay Z, Zidane05, laundromat and 4 others repped this.
  11. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    When you see that I’m not sure why most people don’t see Vini’s celebrations and think fair enough. Not even considering the fact that guys goals saved us a point and an embarrassing defeat.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  12. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    The reality is that when a black player acts in a way that opposing fans dislike i.e. playing well, their race will become an issue period for some of the opposition fans.

There's an unrealistic expectation by some commentators for black players to behave in specific ways to avoid racial commentary—an expectation not placed on white players because white players are not targeted for their race, they are dehumanized in other ways. They are occasionally targeted for religion btw and we don't see calls for Muslim or Jewish athletes as categories to tone it down to avoid nasty comments about Muslims or Jews for example as that would be ridiculous. It's only race where people on both sides lose their mind and common sense.

The notion that changing behavior could sidestep racial criticism is flawed because black players aren't doing anything that everyone else isn't doing but because they are black the degrading comments that are directed towards them by some will involve their race. Just as if a player has a large nose a segment of the fans would attack their looks. Fans are horrible, because in a crowd that's how majorities act -- they dehumanize the focus of their anger.

Realistically, the only way for players to avoid critique is to underperform, and even then, they can face mockery. Players of color encounter a unique form of dehumanization, irrespective of their actions or performance levels because race just happens to be one way to dehumanize others.

laundromat and .halamadrid2. repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The main issue here is that practically this is what all fan bases and clubs do in Spain:
    same-spider-man-7-meme-4.png
    The reality is that Spanish fans are pretty damn hateful full stop. We've seen that with Peter as well. The lower tiers of society have yet to be priced out of football so this is what you get.

It's basically a never ending "yes, but you guys do it too"

hector_br, J-Mezzy and temesgen repped this.
  14. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I take advice from anyone at work despite them being above or below my level. What an awful and elitist way to behave.

15. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly man, idk what space you've been in lately but its quite strange. You've cited Hugo Duro multiple times talking about Vinicius' behavior as if he is some sort of source that should be listened to when I just showed you how he himself downplayed the racism Vinicius experiences in his home stadium. Then you're here trying to excuse that by saying there are racist fans everywhere. What does that have to do with Hugo Duro himself downplaying it?

laundromat, Halycon and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  16. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What good does it do us for Vinicius, on a yellow card, to head directly to the opponents fan section to celebrate in front of them?

I watched the game with family and we almost assumed he's going to pick up another yellow there. Schuster was working the broadcast and mentioned it as well that you have to be very careful to do that on a yellow.

I have zero motivation to discuss this in depth, but under different circumstances he's getting himself sent off there.

Hugo Duro is one of several opponents that says this is the best player in the league, borderline unstoppable but this simply makes him worse it holds him back.

hector_br repped this.
  17. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't do us any good because you'll be here crying about it for days on end. You have a funny way of showing you have 'zero motivation to discuss this in depth.'

Have you bothered to think that perhaps it doesn't hold him back at all, but rather fuels him? Here is Camavinga himself today saying that exact thing. "He is a person that it helps him when people talk and he scores goals with that. The more people talk, the better for us"

laundromat and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't understand what Camavinga saying his friend is a great person contributes to this discussion, but in any case, I think running towards the home fans to celebrate in front of them is risky business on a yellow, you think it's how we should be celebrating every goal.

Cool

Nobody said Vinicius is a bad person, but there's absolutely zero measurement or context in the discussion. He's either absolutely perfect or a total pest for most people.

"it motivates him" certainly didn't fly as an excuse for players doing the same thing at the Bernabeu, but maybe I kind of missed that.

hector_br repped this.
  19. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Vinicius himself said he needs to change, his teammates were visibly concerned about his celebration on a yellow, and Carlo freaking Ancelotti once had to pull him out of the pitch to stop this overly stupid behavior.

I understand Vini's frustration. I can see Peter playing much harder at the Bernabeu after the racist abuse he suffered from Madrid supporters. I don't want them to be robots.

But, as Vinicius himself admitted, he needs to calm down.

I understand the fanboy perspective that no Madrid player can ever do anything wrong, especially when there's a current thing topic involved, but it is clear as day that everyone here would HATE Vinicius if he played for another team.

20. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I think we have enough of our fans hating on our own players.

Shay Z and HZinho repped this.
  21. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think that Vini celebrating directly in front of fans that racially abused him is cool

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Are Madrid opponents that celebrate in front of the Madrid racists cool too?

Just taking notes for the next time somebody wishes somebody would break a Barca players leg here to know the correct etiquette.

You can justify basically anything. We were fined for chants before, for me that doesn't justify a player coming to Madrid and feeling like he gets a pass for everything, but we'll see.

I don't expect much impartiality about this. Players that would move similarly against us are despised here.

hector_br repped this.
  23. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I don't see many of our fans HaTiNGgGgGG Vini. I see some disapproving of his behavior. Two completely different things, that is, if you are over 12 years old.

He scored twice and almost gave us the win. Vini is in great form right now. As a Madrid supporter, I couldn't be happier for him.

Now, it's time to stop with the provocative and toxic behavior on the pitch, it will make him play even better.

He has recognized that he has to change, and the fans must support him in his decision to improve.

All those who keep patting his head, saying it's cool to act like that, are actually harming his development. I hope that's not the club's approach.

24. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have no idea where you are coming from because I have not even suggested anything about our own fans.

You’re projecting something onto me and arguing against it.

25. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's rich considering "Valencia fan = racist" is projection in itself. Especially from a Real Madrid fan no less.

The club barely responded to the Vinicius issue for months, but as soon as Laporta mentioned the F word, ho ho ho, statements on every single publication including a propaganda film to go along with it.