Valderrama at Real Valladolid; How Results Define Perception Over Reality.

Discussion in 'Players & Legends' started by leadleader, Apr 16, 2021.

?

Which one of the conclusions below, best describes the conclusion that you have drawn yourself ??

1. Valderrama was a victim of team results and a victim of the bizarre anti-Valladolid bias.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Valderrama was in part a legitimate victim, and in part objectively disappointing in his own right.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Valderrama deserved the criticism; his failure was mostly on him, not on the team results.

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #1 leadleader, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021

[​IMG]

Carlos Valderrama at Real Valladolid; a case study of how results define perception over reality... or was Valderrama's failure in fact objectively or approximately as bad as was reported?

Yesterday, I revisited Carlos Valderrama's time with Real Valladolid; to be clear, a mere 16 complete games, and a few minutes versus Barcelona, but I think upon watching the 5 minute highlight videos of the games, it becomes abundantly clear just how bizarre it is that all of the referees in La Liga did their level best to destroy Valladolid?

I am talking obvious penalty kicks routinely ignored, fouls routinely ignored, goals routinely ruled off because of non-existent off-side decisions, and so on, which then added to Fonseca's bad form in front of goal.

Therefore, I wanted to create this diary/document, to set the record straight; that is, I intend to use the existing video highlights to try to measure just how correct or incorrect the perception was versus the reality... Also placing some of the importance on the commentary as it describes the events, as there are things that the commentary can strongly imply, that a short 5 minute video cannot in its own right imply.

Spartak repped this.
  2. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #2 leadleader, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    [​IMG]

Carlos Valderrama's short spell at Real Valladolid...

A textbook real world example of how results define perception over reality?

Or was Valderrama's failure in fact objectively or approximately as bad as was reported?

I revisited Carlos Valderrama's time with Real Valladolid; to be clear, a mere 16 complete games, plus a few minutes versus Barcelona, but I think upon watching the 5 minute highlight videos of the games, it becomes abundantly clear just how bizarre it is that all of the referees in La Liga did their level best to destroy Valladolid?

I mean, incredibly unusual circumstantial, random, or perhaps deliberate outcomes; for example, Real Valladolid probably had more goals ruled off incorrectly, than Real Valladolid actually literally scored goals... I cannot reference another real world example, of a football club that scored less goals than the quantity of goals that were ruled off by the refs; incorrectly ruled off by the refs, as a matter of fact.

All the while, Fonseca, one of the better strikers of La Liga at the time, was almost unrealistically wasteful in front of goal; failing to score several crucial penalty kicks; failing to score crucial tap in goals; failing to score crucial clear-cut goals, etc.

At any rate, Carlos Valderrama appears to have taken the worst part of the blame, even when it can be sufficiently demonstrated that Real Valladolid's lack of results had a lot more to do with bizarre referee bias against Real Valladolid; which itself was made so much worse by the fact that Fonseca was an abject failure in front of goal.

In other words, Carlos Valderrama was arguably used as a scapegoat for the bizarre results of Real Valladolid; a club that, in reality, proved to be difficult in several of the games against top 6 opponents i.e. Real Madrid, Valencia, Real Burgos, and Real Zaragoza.

At any rate, I think this is a very interesting case study of how team results define perception over reality. Moreover, I hereby declare that my primary intention is to watch the individual highlight videos of every game, as I try to measure just how correct or incorrect the perception was, versus the reality that can be most logically deducted from watching said videos.

3. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 1.

Real Valladolid vs. Sporting Gijon.

1:09 > > > 1:30

Higuita with an excellent save to deny Sporting Gijon.

1:38 > > > 1:53

Valderrama with an excellent medium-range lobbed pass, unsettles Sporting Gijon's defensive shape, and unleashes Fonseca; Fonseca did well to trap the ball mid-run, but ultimately failed to convert what was a half-chance in the best of cases.

Great pass by Valderrama, swerving between 2 or 3 of Sporting Gijon's players, as Fonseca was unleashed; but again, the chance itself was a half-chance, not a clear-cut chance. It still was an impressive pass by Valderrama, though.

2:29 > > > 2:44

Potential hand-ball penalty in favor of Sporting Gijon; denied by the referee, which is the most common decision relative to that era, hand-ball penalty kicks were not a normal occurrence. But even if this penalty had been given, and had been scored by Sporting Gijon; the result would have been the same, a defeat for Real Valladolid.

3:00 > > > 3:35

Sporting Gijon wins free-kick; Sporting Gijon scores free-kick; 1-0 goal.

I think it was Engonga who jumped when the rest of the wall did not jumped; that was what appeared to have happened in the 1-0 free kick goal, albeit the poor replay angle of the video makes it difficult to tell for sure, but it does look like it was Engonga who jumped, as the ball went under him.

3:35 > > > 3:44

Valderrama is served with what appears to be a half-chance in the best of cases, but it's difficult to say if it's a half-chance or a non-chance, at any rate, it was a difficult situation to score or assist a goal from that; maybe Valderrama should have done better here perhaps, but again, it's very difficult to tell.

Valderrama:

It appears to be an average performance in the worst of cases; that is, there is no indication at all that it was a bad performance.

Valladolid:

Valladolid allegedly played better football, but Sporting Gijon won the game; this is what was reported by the media.

The first half was reportedly of good quality and entertaining by Valladolid, whereas the second half was reportedly more on the mediocre side; in any case, a balanced match that was decided by a free kick goal, not even an open play goal.

0 - 1 defeat for Valladolid / Result.

1 - 1 draw for Valladolid / Most logical result.

La Liga Standing On Aggregate:

0 points / Result.

1 point / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 0 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 1 goal conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 15th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 1 goal scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 1 goal conceded / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid in 9th place / Most logical result.

4. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 2.

Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid.

0:48 > > > 1:03

Onesimo and Valderrama combine to create what could've been the 1-0 goal, very early in the game; Fonseca was not in the right place, at the right time, in his effort to score Onesimo's excellent service.

1:13 > > > 1:31

Onesimo and Valderrama again combine to create a clear-cut penalty kick; Ricardo Rocha with the obvious foul on flying dribbler Onesimo, this could have been the 1-0 goal, but the referee failed to see anything sufficiently wrong with Rocha's obvious foul.

Real Madrid failed to create clear-cut chances in the first half, as Valladolid was clearly the superior team.

2:18 > > > 2:28

Real Madrid's Prosinecki fails to score a half-chance.

2:28 > > > 2:56

Real Madrid scores the 1-0 goal; an excellent cross, a decent header, and an incredibly lucky deflection of the ball, assists Real Madrid's goal. An extremely lucky goal as the deflection could have gone anywhere, but again, random luck can and often is decisive in minimal margin games.

3:08 > > > 3:21

Good run by Hagi, but he dives in the end; the referee did well to deny this alleged penalty kick, as it was an obvious dive (very much unlike Onesimo's clear-cut penalty kick in the first half).

3:21 > > > 3:50.

Apparently a massive mistake by Higuita, who for a split-second manipulated the ball with his hands after having already blocked the ball, which apparently constitutes what was almost a penalty kick; I'm not sure if this type of decision was consistently punished by the refs of the time, or if this was an instance of the ref doing his best to help Real Madrid as both the bigger club and the home club.

Real Madrid failed to convert the point-blank free kick; what was almost a penalty kick in terms of the distance between the ball and Higuita.

3:50 > > > 4:03

Onesimo and Valderrama; Valderrama and Onesimo; once again the magic pair of this game, combined to create a very good half-chance for Valladolid.

I think this should've been the 1-1 goal for Real Valladolid; I mean, as far as half-chances go, this was a very good one, with very good possibilities of goal or penalty kick.

Real Madrid's world class central defender, Sanchis, produced a perfectly timed, perfectly aimed, sliding tackle to deny Valladolid's half-chance.

1:50 > > > 2:13

Cynical knee-height foul against Valderrama; Sanchis should've been shown the yellow card for this cynical foul, as his intention was crystal clear, as well as the fact that the tackle itself was nowhere near touching the ball; I mean, it was just a good old knee-height kick, well deserving of a yellow card.

2:46 > > > 3:14

Excellent ball retention skill by Valderrama, who gets fouled by Real Madrid's emerging star Hierro; at any rate, Hierro's foul was a reckless kick to the ankles; Hierro (as Sanchis before him) should've been shown the yellow card.

3:14 > > > 3:49

Good ball retention skill again by Valderrama, who was again fouled by Hierro; Hierro this time running his generous pointy elbow against Valderrama's face, this would be a direct red card in many cases, but the referee didn't even show the yellow card, as the referee for some reason failed to see the foul; in fact, the foul happened in very close proximity to the referee, but for some reason the ref was happy to look away.

3:48 > > > 4:51

Good ball carrying and/or dribbling run by Valderrama, who gets hacked from behind by Chendo; Real Madrid's captain at the time, and probably one of the better players of Real Madrid.

At any rate, Chendo should have been shown the yellow card or perhaps the direct red card for his cynical tackle on Valderrama. Per the book, this should be a direct red card in most if not all cases, but in this specific instance it was not even a yellow card for Chendo; and in fact, it was Valderrama who received the yellow card, because he retaliated against Sanchis; Valderrama retaliating as a result of the complete and shocking absence of referee protection.

Cynical fouls without yellow cards, are just an invitation to continue to kick Valderrama out of the game.

4:51 > > > 5:07

Valderrama again gets fouled by Hierro; and Hierro, again, thoroughly deserves the yellow card.

Hierro at this point, should have been shown 2 yellow cards and 1 direct red card; in other words, Hierro should've been shown 2 separate red cards as of now, but instead, he doesn't even have one single yellow card to his name, in a game where he has done his level best to kick Valderrama out of the game.

Again; cynical fouls without yellow cards, are nothing short of an unwritten invitation by the referee, who not only allows the punishment to go on, but also encourages it, as it obviously is efficient if players like Hierro are allowed to do it without the restraints of yellow cards and/or red cards.

In summary; Valderrama got kicked in the knee by Sanchis; hacked down by Hierro; elbowed straight in the face by Hierro; hacked down by Chendo; hacked down by Hierro again... But the only yellow card that has been shown, is against Valderrama (i.e. literally the player who is getting kicked out of the game), who received a yellow card for retaliating against Sanchis.

I mean, this is bizarre and surreal decision-making by the referee; the player getting hacked down is shown the yellow card; all the while, the Real Madrid players carrying out said destruction somehow continue to ride yellow-free, let alone red-free.

5:39 > > > 6:34

Onesimo and Valderrama; Valderrama and Onesimo; once again the magic pair of this game, combined to create a very good half-chance for Valladolid.

Valderrama:

Valderrama was relentlessly fouled throughout the game. Fernando Hierro should have been red carded, sent off, after at least 3 or 4 different instances of yellow card fouls; including a nasty elbow to Valderrama's face, which Hierro did right in front of the referee.

Chendo should've been given a yellow card or perhaps a direct red card for his cynical tackle on Valderrama.

Sanchis fully deserved an obvious yellow card after his cynical knee-height tackle on Valderrama in the first half; in which case, Sanchis should have been unceremoniously red carded, after two obvious yellow cards, well before he made the crucial match-winning sliding tackle as the game was about to reach the 90th minute.

Valderrama and Onesimo were, by a clear margin, the best players that the game had to offer; spectacular and pure football by the pair, more so Onesimo than Valderrama, but it's very difficult to decide which one of the two deserved to be the man of the match.

Onesimo won a penalty kick (which the referee obviously ignored) and was a consistent world class dribbling outlet throughout the game.

Valderrama was a presence in the midfield battle, not to mention that he received the star treatment, as he was relentlessly fouled by both Hierro, Sanchis, Chendo, etc.

At any rate, very good performances by both Valderrama and Onesimo; for reference, Valderrama and Onesimo were both arguably better in this game, than Michael Laudrup, Hristo Stoichkov, or Enzo Scifo were in any of their respective games versus Real Madrid 1991/92. The same thing could be said about Bernd Schuster and Paulo Futre.

And again, as was already noted, the referee bias is unbelievable in terms of how transparent and obvious it is; there was the clear-cut penalty on Onesimo, which was ignored by the ref; and most shocking of all, perhaps, is the fact that Valderrama actually received a yellow card because he had the audacity to not sit quietly by as Real Madrid repeatedly tried their best to foul him, kick him, out of the game.

With the clear-cut penalty; that is an early 1-0 goal, if converted by Fonseca; who, to be fair, could have easily not converted the penalty kick, given his poor form in front of goal.

With Hierro's well deserved red card; that is a crucial absence for Real Madrid.

With Sanchis's well deserved red card; that probably is a scenario that virtually guarantees either a draw or a victory for Valladolid.

With Chendo's potential direct red card...

But instead, Valderrama gets himself a yellow card because he reacted in a reasonable manner to what was an unreasonable situation, as he was brutally fouled by Hierro, Sanchis, and Chendo, not that Real Madrid needed any other players to kick Valderrama out of the game.

All the while, Onesimo's penalty was simply ignored.

In conclusion, referee bias was crucial to the result, and the result still was a narrow single-goal victory for Real Madrid; with the goal itself being assisted by a random lucky deflection.

Valladolid:

Real Valladolid played mesmerizing football; this is probably what Pacho Maturana had in mind, when he added Carlos Valderrama to a Valladolid side that already had Onesimo. At any rate, Valladolid should've won this game, but the referee bias and Valladolid's own lack of finishing...

0 points / Result.

2 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 0 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 2 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 19th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 2 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 2 goals conceded / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid in 8th place / Most logical result.

5. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #5 leadleader, Apr 17, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Round 3.

Real Valladolid vs. Logrones.

0:56 > > > 1:19

Bizarre and surrealistic mistake by Higuita; single-handedly assisted the 1-0 goal by Logrones. Not even in amateur-level football have I witnessed such a bad mistake by a goalkeeper... let alone a highly rated goalkeeper, as Higuita was in his home country.

1:38 > > > 1:57

Valladolid scores the 1-1 goal; a scrappy goal, assisted by a header pass, and pre-assisted by a corner kick.

1:57 > > > 2:08

The referee (Martin Navarrete) told Valderrama that he needed to remove his earing; and this is quite bizarre, as I don't remember other players, for example, Maradona who always had the ear-jewelry, getting this type of harsh treatment; earrings were never a problem in the French league, nor in the Serie A, nor in La Liga as far as I could tell, but Valderrama apparently had a unique talent for irritating the referees in La Liga.

In its original Spanish:

"Había habido un problema durante el partido y él le dijo a un compañero nuestro que no hablaba castellano (Prosinecki) ’me vas a tocar…’. Yo le dije que no había sido él, que había sido Hierro y me dijo ‘tú también me vas a tocar…’. Yo le dije, ‘yo te los toco’, y así fue”, apunto entre risas Michel para Espn.

Translated to English:

"There was a problem during the game; Valderrama lashed out at Prosinecki, "You can grab my cock." Prosinecki didn't even speak Spanish, so I said to Valderrama, that it was Hierro who had fouled him, and Valderrama responded by saying, "You will also grab my cock." And I said to him, I will indeed do that, and that was literally what I did."

As reported 25 years later, in 2017, by Michel himself.

At any rate, I think that Valderrama's colourful and vociferous personality was not a good fit with Spaniards in general; it is easy to see the animosity between Valderrama and most of the referees in La Liga.

I think most of the referees perceived Valderrama as a vulgar and bad-mouthed star player, with an inflated sense of himself; that is the general impression I get, from watching the videos and from the consistent animosity on display by most of the referees.

In this regard, the argument could be made that Valderrama was detrimental to Valladolid; but in this case, Valderrama would be detrimental due to non-sporting reasons.

2:08 > > > 2:29

Valladolid very nearly scores the 2-1 goal, after a good short cross by Onesimo.

3:16 > > > 3:36

Higuita again with a horrific and perplexing mistake, as he failed to block an easy header; Logrones scores the 2-1 goal. Higuita has literally assisted all two goals by Logrones.

Logrones scored the goal in the 44 minute of the first half; also, Logrones reportedly parked the bus for the remaining 45 minutes of the second half, as reported by the video commentary.

3:36 > > > 3:53

Valderrama serves a good short cross, which isn't converted.

4:09 > > > 4:14

Valladolid almost scores the 2-2 goal; excellent save by Logrones' goalkeeper, who did what a goalkeeper should do; very much unlike Higuita.

4:14 > > > 4:40

Valladolid scores the 2-2 goal; the 2-2 goal is ruled off due to an alleged hand-ball... The replay fails to show or demonstrate the alleged hand-ball.

4:40 > > > 4:49

Valladolid fails to score a clear-cut goal; what could have been the 2-2 goal that Valladolid deserved, after having dominated the game.

Valderrama:

Valderrama served a good short cross in the second half, which was not converted; but other than that, it is difficult to tell, via direct observation, what Valderrama contributed to this game.

That being said, my educated guess is that Valderrama was almost certainly good in his midfield role; for example, Valladolid dominated the game, which would've been very difficult to do if Valderrama had been relatively mediocre at his role as the midfield maestro.

Valderrama was a lot of the time positioned almost like a Pirlo-like deep lying playmaker, in deep positions of the pitch, which helps create the impression that Valderrama was helping out defensively and creatively as Valladolid dominated the game.

Valladolid:

Higuita single-handedly to blame for both goals by Logrones. Furthermore, the media of the time once again states that Valladolid was the better team, that Valladolid must have been asking themselves how could they not win this game, but again Valladolid failed to get anything out of the game, same exact case as in Round 1 versus Sporting Gijon.

1 - 2 defeat for Valladolid / Result.

2 - 0 win for Valladolid / Most logical result.

0 points / Result.

4 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 1 goal scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 4 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid 4 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 2 goals conceded / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid in 5th place / Most logical result.

6. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 4.

Deportivo La Coruna vs. Real Valladolid.

0:43 > > > 0:53

Deportivo very nearly scored the 1-0 goal.

1:00 > > > 1:21

Deportivo scored the 1-0 goal; the goal was assisted by a lucky random deflection, same as the goal that Real Madrid scored in Round 2.

Real Valladolid has so far only conceded goals assisted by random lucky deflections, plus another 2 goals assisted by Higuita mistakes in Round 3.

This is legendary bad luck.

But then again, to be fair, Deportivo La Coruna probably deserved to have scored the 1-0 goal, even if the goal itself was assisted by a lucky deflection.

1:32 > > > 1:54

Real Valladolid scored the 1-1 goal, but the goal was ruled off due to alleged off-side; it was, in fact, not an off-side goal...

As was clear to see by merely looking at the short space of the play itself; if Fonseca had been off-side; then Fonseca would not have been able to score the goal, as the pass would have been behind Fonseca. The fact that Fonseca was perfectly positioned, itself is solid evidence of the fact that Fonseca was not off-side.

At any rate, this is another costly mistake by yet another referee, and again the victim is Real Valladolid.

1:54 > > > 2:13

Real Valladolid should have been awarded a clear-cut penalty kick; instead, the referee ignored the obvious penalty, as was also the case versus Real Madrid in Round 2... The referee showing a strong bias for the home side.

2:46 > > > 2:52

Valderrama and Onesimo with a very good play; great pass by Valderrama, creating the potential pre-assist as Deportivo's goalkeeper was forced to come out, and was caught badly positioned; Valladolid could have scored the 1-1 goal here.

3:09 > > > 3:21

Fonseca very nearly scores an amazing long range free kick; the ball hit the post and very nearly deflected inwards... This was, again, almost the 1-1 goal to get the point in a notoriously difficult stadium.

Legendary bad luck.

Valderrama:

Valderrama had the one good play with Onesimo; an impressive heel-pass, to create a very good half-chance for Onesimo, who then failed to produce the end product that the sequence deserved.

At any rate, my best guess is that this was an average or below-average performance by Valderrama, even if he did served up that impressive pass, to pre-assist what could've been the 1-1 goal. It rained throughout the game, and that tends to significantly nullify short-passing football, which definitely was an added factor with regards to Valladolid's and Valderrama's lack of coherence on the creative side.

Valladolid:

In its original Spanish:

"A pesar de no ser una orquesta, como afirmaba Maturana; y con la presuncion de que alguno traia el instrumento afinado... El Valladolid sigue desafinando en estos inicios de liga."

Translated to English:

"It is not an orchestra, as Maturana had envisioned; and even under the presumption that Valderrama was in fine form before joining Valladolid... The fact is that Valladolid continues to play out of tune, lacking coherence in the build up play, like a broken orchestra, in these initial stages of La Liga."

Then again, the plainly evident truth is that Valladolid scored a perfectly legal 1-1 goal, which was incorrectly ruled off on the basis of a mistaken off-side decision.

And as if that weren't bad enough in its own right, in terms of mistaken decisions against Valladolid; the referee again was mistaken, as he ignored a clear-cut penalty kick for Valladolid.

As out of tune as Valladolid allegedly was, the truth is that Valladolid should have won this game; or in the worst case scenario, this game should've been a draw; a 1-1 draw to be precise, but of course, the referee mistakenly canceled the 1-1 goal.

2 - 1 win for Valladolid / Most logical result.

0 points / Result.

6 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 1 goal scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 5 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 20th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 6 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 3 goals conceded / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid in 3rd place / Most logical result.

7. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 5.

Real Valladolid vs. Albacete.

0:33 > > > 0:56

Real Valladolid should have been awarded another clear-cut penalty kick; the referee again decided to ignore what was a clear-cut penalty kick. Business as usual.

Valderrama was shown the yellow card for complaining to the mistaken referee.

Leonel Alvarez was also shown the yellow card, also for complaining to the mistaken referee.

Pacho Maturana received the first and probably only yellow card in his managerial career; presumably for the same reason as Valderrama and Alvarez.

0:59 > > > 1:15

A deflected ball landed on Fonseca, as Fonseca very nearly scored the 1-0 goal, as Valladolid dominated the game.

Onesimo in great form, by the looks of it, as is the case in most of the games so far.

1:17 > > > 1:23

Valderrama's free kick pass very nearly assists the 1-0 goal for Valladolid; Pereira should have scored this.

1:28 > > > 1:38

Valderrama's lobbed short pass very nearly assists the 1-0 goal for Valladolid; Alvarez did his best, but it wasn't an easy chance to finish, the pass was slightly longer than it needed to be.

1:43 > > > 1:57

Real Valladolid in fine form; a half-chance is created and then wasted.

1:57 > > > 2:08

Onesimo with another good run, and another good cross; Valladolid could have scored the 1-1 goal here.

2:08 > > > 2:33

Real Valladolid scores the 1-0 goal.

2:39 > > > 2:48

Onesimo creates a clear-cut goal; Fonseca is badly positioned and fails to convert the chance. At any rate, great service by Onesimo; bad finishing by Fonseca.

2:48 > > > 2:56

Onesimo dribbles past 2 defenders, serves up what appears to be a tap in goal; Valladolid fails to convert the tap in goal...

Onesimo was again great in the creation of service; but unfortunately, Fonseca was again an abject failure at the art of scoring the (tap in) goal...

Valderrama:

The only thing to observe in the video, is that Valderrama had 1 pass that should have been converted, and another pass that could have been converted; but other than said two potential assists, it is impossible to tell if Valderrama was good or more on the average side.

My best guess is that Valderrama was good, because I cannot imagine Real Valladolid being as dominant as they were in this game, without Valderrama in good form. Of course, the man of the match was Onesimo; in a class of his own in this game.

Valladolid:

Real Valladolid dominated the game, but as usual, was extremely wasteful of the many clear-cut chances, half-chances, and even tap in chances, that were repeatedly created by the technical wizard Onesimo.

1 - 0 win for Valladolid / Result.

3 - 0 win for Valladolid / Most logical result.

2 points / Result.

8 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 2 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 5 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid 9 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 3 goals conceded / Most logical result.

8. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #8 leadleader, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Round 6.

Real Burgos vs. Real Valladolid.

0:57 > > > 1:21

Real Valladolid should've been awarded a clear-cut penalty kick; obvious hand-ball by Burgos; the referee ignores it, as usual.

At any rate, I generally do not place a great deal of importance on hand-ball penalty kicks, because in the early 1990s, hand-ball penalty kicks were not at all common... But this was such an extremely obvious hand-ball, that it is suspect that the referee did not see it?

In any event, yet another referee (mistake) decision to not award what was a clear-cut penalty kick; business as usual.

1:21 > > > 1:44

Excellent play by Onesimo and Valderrama; Onesimo dribbles past a defender on the wing; plays the ball to Valderrama, who delivers a perfectly weighted pass, the pre-assist of what was a tap in goal; Onesimo receives the ball from Valderrama; Onesimo serves up a tap in goal; Fonseca failed to score the tap in goal.

Extremely reminiscent, almost a perfect copy, of the inventive inter-passing shown by the magic pair Onesimo-Valderrama in Round 2, versus Real Madrid, at the Santiago Bernabeu.

1:49 > > > 2:10

Onesimo I think dived inside of the box, but to be fair, it is very difficult to tell because the replay angle was not the best angle to observe the presumed dive; personally, when I am not sure, I almost always opt to favor the defender over the attacker... which is why I agree with the referee's decision here, not to give the alleged penalty kick.

At any rate, another dangerous situation created by Valladolid, Valderrama again involved in the build up play; and again, the referee decided to not award the alleged penalty kick, albeit I think that this time the referee was probably correct, in not awarding said penalty kick.

2:10 > > > 2:34

Valderrama again involved in the build up play; very good lobbed pass to put Fonseca inside of the box... Fonseca gets clearly fouled... The clear-cut penalty kick is, yet again, not awarded by the referee.

Real Valladolid has so far been denied 2 clear-cut penalty kicks in this game, and an additional potential penalty kick; the foul on Onesimo. At this rate, Real Valladolid literally has four or five times as many denied penalty kicks, as goals scored. Not to mention two or three times as many goals that were ruled off, as a result of mistaken off-side decisions by the referees.

At any rate, I cannot think of any other club that was as consistently destroyed by mistaken referee decisions, as this Colombian Valladolid side; it is nothing short of surreal and bizarre, just how consistent the referees are at their suspect task of disrupting and discrediting this South American flavored Real Valladolid side.

To be precise:

1 goal incorrectly ruled off.

1 goal presumably correctly ruled off.

5 clear cut penalty kicks not given.

2 goals scored by Real Valladolid.

In terms of ruled off goals, Valladolid has had 2 goals ruled off or canceled; which is literally as many goals as Valladolid has scored... And to worsen the wound of ruled off goals; Valladolid has had 5 clear-cut penalty kicks not given, or canceled by referee mistakes, which is more than twice the quantity of goals scored by Valladolid.

Between ruled off goals and canceled clear-cut penalty kicks, Valladolid has been denied literally triple the quantity of goals that they have scored. This is massive in terms of La Liga standing.

At any rate, I just cannot think of any other instance in the history of La Liga, of one team getting so consistently dismantled by a collection of mistaken referee decisions.

2:34 > > > 2:56

Onesimo almost single-handedly created the 1-0 goal for Valladolid. Burgos could not contain Onesimo, after Onesimo dribbled past 2 defenders, which resulted in a random deflection that very nearly became a much deserved 1-0 goal for Valladolid.

2:56 > > > 3:25

Real Burgos scores the 1-0 goal.

A good short cross, a good short-pass header assist, and a good goal by Burgos. A more difficult goal to score, versus the tap in that Fonseca failed to convert in the first half.

3:25 > > > 3:34

Onesimo fails to score clear-cut chance.

Onesimo could have scored or assisted here, but decide to take the shot himself, and the shot was not good.

3:43 > > > 3:55

Valladolid fails to convert another clear-cut chance; the ball hit the post, as it deflected downwards, but it failed to deflect inwards to become a goal...

This is nothing short of legendary cosmic-curse bad luck.

3:55 > > > 4:26

Fonseca appeared to have been off-side, as he was obviously fouled; this time, the referee gave the penalty kick.

It is difficult to tell if Fonseca was off-side or not, since the camera does not show the defensive line, and since the replay camera angle also does not show the defensive line...

My best guess is that Fonseca was on-side, because if Fonseca had been off-side; why would the referee not do what referees have consistently done at any given chance?

Therefore, and as was already implied, my best guess is that Fonseca was probably on-side, and the referee probably thought that canceling yet another clear-cut penalty kick, would be one step too far; one step too obvious, in what already was an bizarre game of suspicious referee decisions, all in favor of the home team.

Fonseca failed to score the penalty kick.

Quantum Physics couldn't explain this dimension of seemingly infinite bad luck.

Valderrama:

Valderrama obviously had a good game, as is easy to deduct on the basis of many factors; Real Burgos was in 3rd place in La Liga at the time, and as such, was a difficult team in the context of the timing of Round 6 of La Liga; in more direct terms, the dominance demonstrated by Real Valladolid would be virtually impossible without Valderrama in good form.

Not to mention plainly self-evident facts, such as the fact that Valderrama was directly involved in the tap in goal that Fonseca failed to score; Valderrama was again directly involved in the penalty kick that the referee ignored; and again, it was Valderrama involved in the build up play, as Onesimo was allegedly fouled inside the box.

Valladolid:

Real Valladolid dominated the game as is clear to see just looking at the obvious superiority in terms of chances created; but as usual, and for the second consecutive game, was almost unrealistically wasteful with their many clear-cut chances; after having enjoyed many clear-cut opportunities to have scored the 1-0 goal and/or the 1-1 goal.

The technical wizard Onesimo, with another great performance.

And furthermore, it should be noted that Real Burgos in their stadium was a difficult game in the specific context of La Liga 1991/92.

1st place finish Barcelona, only managed a 2-2 draw.

3rd place finish Atletico Madrid, only managed a 1-1 draw.

4th place finish Valencia, only managed a 1-2 defeat.

And as already mentioned, Real Burgos was the 3rd place team, when Real Valladolid played against them in Round 6.

In summary: Real Valladolid proved to be competitive and even dominant against a difficult opponent; as had already been the case versus Real Madrid, in Round 2. Ergo, the results so far, with Valladolid sitting in 20th place (last place), with only 2 goals scored; this result is far removed from the reality of Valladolid's actual ability on the pitch.

Valladolid has been demonstrably dismantled by the aggregate result of a bizarre collective of referee mistakes, as comprehensively compounded by Fonseca's horrible form in front of goal.

If the results matched the performance, Real Valladolid would be sitting in 3rd or 4th place of La Liga, immediately after Round 6.

2 - 1 win for Valladolid / Most logical result.

2 points / Result.

10 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 2 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 6 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 20th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 11 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 4 goals conceded / Most logical result.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  9. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 7.

Real Valladolid vs. Mallorca.

0:46 > > > 1:07

Real Valladolid scores the 1-0 header goal; but as usual, this referee is in agreement with all other referees, as he ruled off the goal; Engonga allegedly fouled some Mallorca defender, but then the replay immediately demonstrates the mistake by said referee... There was no foul by Engonga; in fact, if anything, it was an unusually clean header goal.

Engonga, a Spanish international at some point, but also a black player.

Valderrama a widely disliked South American diva-type personality; and at the same time, while not technically a black player, his facial features are clearly of afro-characteristics.

Pacho Maturana, a black manager, with a good reputation behind him; that is, before getting his reputation destroyed on the basis of referees ruling off quite literally more than 50% of Valladolid's converted goals.

Honestly, I mean... I think that good old racism has to be... just has to be... at the root cause of so many legal goals being inexplicably and relentlessly ruled off specifically against Real Valladolid.

This happens consistently, almost literally in every single game; home or away, it makes seemingly no difference at all, Valladolid appears to be playing against the referees in all the games.

1:07 > > > 1:25

Onesimo dribbles past 2 or 3 defenders, as he single-handedly creates a clear-cut chance, out of nothing; but then unfortunately, Onesimo decides to take the difficult shot himself, and he failed, when he had an easy assist to Fonseca.

But then again, to be fair, Fonseca had been so bad in front of goal in all games, that maybe Onesimo opted to take the shot himself, not because he was selfish, but perhaps out of fear that Fonseca would simply waste another clear-cut chance.

1: 36 > > > 2:01

Beautiful header goal by Fonseca; 1-0 goal.

Amazing long ball assist by Caminero, as well.

2:01 > > > 2:09

Another beautiful long ball assist by Caminero; but this time, Fonseca's ball control is not good, as he fails to adequately trap the ball, wasting another clear-cut chance to score what would've been the 2-0 goal.

2:09 > > > 2:17

More good service by Real Valladolid; good cross, which could've and perhaps should've been converted. Valderrama setting up the pre-assist; involved in the build up play, as appears to be is not usual so far in his brief spell in La Liga.

2:25 > > > 2:39

Another clear-cut header chance; this one should've been converted, as it was an easy header from point-blank range, but as usual, Valladolid was wasteful of another clear-cut chance.

2:56 > > > 3:25

Onesimo to Valderrama; Valderrama, positioned on the wings, plays it back to Onesimo, unleashing Onesimo with a well-timed, perfectly executed, heel-pass; Onesimo to Roberto Martinez; Martinez with yet another heel-pass to Onesimo; as Onesimo immediately delivers a perfect lobbed pass assist for Fonseca, who scores the 2-0 goal.

Valladolid scores a beautiful 2-0 goal; this football is so elegant and classy it should have its own cigar, that is the type of elegant and complete dominance on display by Valladolid... For a change, the result and the performance is the same; well, minus the incorrectly ruled off goal.

3:25 > > > 3:39

Onesimo drives towards the box, and is fouled inside of the box; both the normal camera angle as well as the replay angle, offer a perfect view of what exactly happened; yet another obvious case of clear-cut penalty on Onesimo, who was fouled inside the penalty box.

In any case, and as usual, the referee did not give the clear-cut penalty kick.

The referee, for some bizarre reason, decided that the foul was outside of the penalty box; the referee awarded a free kick, even as the foul obviously was in the box, inside of the penalty box, as was obvious to see both from the normal camera as well as the replay camera.

Oh well, just another 'random' referee mistake.

Referee Mistakes On Aggregate:

2 goals incorrectly ruled off.

6 clear cut penalty kicks not given.

4 goals scored by Real Valladolid.

As of now, Valladolid has scored 4 goals, but has been denied on aggregate 8 goals; 6 clear-cut penalty kicks; 2 goals incorrectly ruled off. In other words, that is literally double the quantity of goals that Valladolid has actually scored.

Again, that is massive in terms of La Liga standing.

3:39 > > > 3:47

Valderrama with a very good no-look short cross; a good half-chance that was not converted by Valladolid.

3:53 > > > 4:24

Mallorca scores the 1-2 goal.

Apparently, the goal was a bad mistake by Higuita, as he was immediately 'booed' by the Valladolid fans.

Valderrama:

It would appear to be a foregone conclusion, that Valderrama had a good game, as is easy to deduct on the basis of his consistent involvement in the clear-cut chances; not to mention, the fact that Valladolid's dominant form strongly implies that the midfield battle was won, and spectacularly won, by Valladolid; all of which very strongly implies that Valderrama had a good game as the presumed conductor of the opera.

Valladolid:

A mixed game from Real Valladolid, per the video commentary; it was a mediocre first half by Valladolid; and a masterful, sublime, second half by Valladolid. At any rate, Valladolid should've won this game by 2 or 3 goals of difference, easily; but as usual, the team is uniquely wasteful with the service it gets.

Onesimo with another great game, by the looks of it.

Fonseca's fine form in front of goal, was an encouraging sign that this underrated and unlucky Colombian Valladolid was about to turn it around, as presumably or hopefully, it was only a matter of time before the results and the performance merged into something approximately similar; positive, to put it simply.

2 - 1 win for Valladolid / Result.

3 - 1 win for Valladolid / Most logical result.

4 points / Result.

12 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 4 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 7 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 17th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 13 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 5 goals conceded / Most logical result.

10. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 8.

Espanyol vs. Real Valladolid.

1:26 > > > 1:54

Valderrama serves a good pre-assist for Onesimo, who then serves the direct assist, arguably a tap in goal, for Fonseca; 1-0 goal.

1:54 > > > 2:25

Onesimo intercepts a pass, and then scores the 2-0 goal.

Good zonal-pressing by Maturana's Valladolid.

2:25 > > > 2:41

Good save by Higuita.

2:47 > > > 3:00

Alleged penalty kick for Espanyol; the referee does not see enough merit in it, which I think was the correct decision, as it very much looks like the Espanyol player dived.

3:00 > > > 3:13

Espanyol very nearly scored the 1-2 goal.

3:21 > > > 3:38

Espanyol's own fans applauded Valladolid, and at the same time, began waving the traditional white handkerchiefs as a sign of their sheer disgust at Espanyol's bad form as of late.

Valderrama:

For the second consecutive game, it is a foregone conclusion that Valderrama obviously had a good game. Valderrama delivered the pre-assist for the 1-0 goal, and for the second consecutive game, Valladolid was entertaining and dominant, except this time it was both the first half and the second half, making it a complete and vibrant exhibition of Maturana's zonal-intensity, short-passing, football.

To be clear, the reason why both Maturana and Valderrrama were signed by Valladolid in the first place.

Valderrama now celebrated the goals with Onesimo, and most tellingly perhaps, the face on Valderrama's expression resembles the face that Valderrama had in 1993, as Colombia destroyed Argentina.

It literally is the same body language by Valderrama, and the ambience in general itself, is remarkably similar to Maturana's better years with the national side of Colombia; in fact, I think it is rather surreal just how similar the whole celebration and ambience is.

In my eyes, a distinct sign that Valderrama was for the first and only time in his time in La Liga, genuinely happy to be playing for Real Valladolid; it looked as though the previous game had been the beginning of Valladolid's comeback, followed by this game in Barcelona, which reportedly was an exhibition of class and confidence by Maturana's Valladolid.

Instead, Round 7 and Round 8 were merely a beautiful mirage in the middle of the desolate desert that was La Liga 1991/92 for Carlos Valderrama; the referee 'mistakes' and the bad results would come back to hunt Valladolid.

As they say in the casino business: the house always wins...

At any rate, out of all the performances by Valderrama in the Valladolid shirt; this is the game that I would like to watch above all others, as it is abundantly evident from looking at Valderrama's body language, that this probably was his best performance in his brief spell in La Liga; Round 8 was probably his finest hour with the purple club, I'd be willing to bet.

Valderrama always was that type of player, who you could read by looking at his general body language.

Valladolid:

Reporter says to Maturana:

"Today, Valladolid gave an impressive footballing lesson, at the expense of Espanyol."

Pacho Maturana, responds to the reporter:

"Actually, I think this was in fact a very similar type of game, to most of the games that we have lost over the past several months. The simple difference, being the fact that Valladolid scored the goals today; the goals allowed us to comfortably express and play our football... Independently of the good or bad form of the rival in front of us, I think that Valladolid objectively delivered a good performance today."

Correct, on point, analysis by Pacho Maturana; Round 8 was more or less the same type of game as versus Real Madrid, versus Burgos, and so on, but it just so happened that today, Fonseca and Onesimo scored the clear-cut goals that were not scored in the other games.

Therefore, playing the same style, and the same dynamic; the performance is perceived as great only when the goals are scored; but then the performance is selectively rated as mediocre, and Valderrama is overrated, and Alvarez is also overrated, and Maturana is most overrated... simply or mostly because Fonseca is wasting an obscene percentage of Valladolid's clear cut goals.

Not to mention the even more destructive and disruptive fact, that is to have seemingly all of the referees doing their best to cancel literally over 50% of the goals scored by Valladolid; this is literally the case, there is no need to be funny and add hyperbole into this argument.

And all of the above, is without adjusting for the other chronic and parasitical referee trend; the fact that referees are apparently all in agreement, that they will virtually never give penalty kicks to Real Valladolid.

Real Valladolid 1991/92 might possibly be the greatest example of all time, in footballing terms, of how results define perception over reality.

2 - 0 win for Valladolid / Result.

2 - 0 win for Valladolid / Most logical result.

6 points / Result.

14 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 6 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 7 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 12th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 15 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 5 goals conceded / Most logical result.

11. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 9.

Real Valladolid vs. Real Sociedad.

0:26 > > > 0:44

Valladolid forces a save from Real Sociedad's goalkeeper; not really a dangerous chance, in my book.

0:45 > > > 1:10

Real Sociedad scores the 1-0 goal; the goal was assisted by an incredibly lucky deflected random ball.

1:10 > > > 1:32

Real Sociedad scored the 2-0 goal; the goal was assisted by a rather stupid defensive mistake from Real Valladolid. One of the Valladolid defenders tried a bad pass, the bad pass was intercepted by Real Sociedad, and Real Sociedad immediately scored the 2-0 goal.

1:32 > > > 2:14

Onesimo with another signature dribbling run, dribbles past 3 defenders, and then delivers a perfect cross; Fonseca scores a very good header; 1-2 goal for Real Valladolid.

Honestly, Onesimo 1991/92 could be the most successful dribbler I have watched in terms of 1990s La Liga... He makes it look routine and easy, to dribble past 2 or 3 defenders.

2:26 > > > 3:14

Great goal by Fonseca; 2-2 goal.

A classic 'poacher' goal; Fonseca was in the right place, at the right time, as the ball randomly deflected, landing on Fonseca's feet, who scored with his first and only touch on the ball; great goal.

It really makes you wonder why this high quality striker, more often than not in the context of La Liga 1991/92, cannot score simple tap in goals...

Strikers are such mystical creatures; they will score amazing goals one day; and then fail to score a simple tap in, the next day.

At any rate, the game is a 2-2 draw in minute 30, making this a frenetic game with 4 goals in only 30 minutes of play.

3:22 > > > 3:40

Real Sociedad very nearly scores the 3-2 goal.

Good save by Higuita, who was well positioned to block the shot.

3:50 > > > 4:01

Another good save by Higuita.

Powerful long range shot by Real Sociedad.

4:01 > > > 4:19

Real Valladolid should have been awarded another obvious clear-cut penalty kick; but as usual, the referee will simply not award it...

It seems as though Real Valladolid gets 1 penalty kick after every 7 clear-cut penalty kicks it should get...

This is not normal referee behavior, in any era.

This should have been the 3-2 goal by Fonseca, who was in great form throughout this game; or so it appears to be the case, watching the video highlight.

I mean, I cannot stress this enough: this is massive in terms of La Liga standing... it's the difference between 2 points or 1 point, and the difference between 1 point or 0 points; Valladolid has been consistently dismantled by mistaken referee decisions.

2 goals incorrectly ruled off.

7 clear cut penalty kicks not given.

8 goals scored by Real Valladolid.

At the current rate, Real Valladolid has been denied 7 clear-cut penalty kicks, which is almost as many goals as the 8 goals that Real Valladolid has scored in total.

4:19 > > > 4:44

Great play by Fonseca, who serves a clear-cut goal for Onesimo, who then fails to convert from close-ish range; well inside of the penalty box.

Great save by Real Sociedad's goalkeeper.

Valderrama:

There is literally nothing of note to say, with regards to Valderrama in the context of this game. At any rate, my best guess is that this probably was an average performance by Valderrama; otherwise, we would have seen a key pass at some in the video, from Valderrama.

Valladolid:

Fonseca and Onesimo in great form, as Real Valladolid yet again failed to win a game they arguably deserved to win...

And as usual, yet another clear-cut penalty kick that was denied by another referee. This is not normal referee behavior. Valladolid is playing against the referee, both in the home games, as well as the away games.

2 - 2 draw for Valladolid / Result.

3 - 2 win for Valladolid / Most logical result.

7 points / Result.

16 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 8 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 9 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 12th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 18 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 7 goals conceded / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid in 2nd place / Most logical result.

12. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #12 leadleader, Apr 18, 2021
    Round 10.

Real Zaragoza vs. Real Valladolid.

0:19 > > > 0:33

Real Zaragoza with a half-chance; or perhaps a clear-cut chance; I guess it's one of those chances that could be interpreted as a half-chance or a clear-cut chance, depending on the subjective criteria of the viewer.

0:33 > > > 0:45

Real Zaragoza playing well, forces a save from Higuita; this was an easy routine block, in my book.

0:46 > > > 0:58

Amusing ball retention run by Higuita.

0:58 > > > 1:15

Good run by Fonseca, forces a save or intervention from Real Zaragoza's goalkeeper.

A brief moment of panic for Real Zaragoza.

1:16 > > > 1:29

Onesimo with a great cross; Fonseca failed to score a clear-cut header chance. This should have been the 1-0 goal for Valladolid.

1:29 > > > 1:37

Good save from Higuita; albeit it arguably was just another routine, relatively easy, block.

The only clear-cut chance of the game was the failed header by Fonseca.

This game reportedly is an authentic midfield tactical battle; a high intensity game.

1:51 > > > 2:02

Real Zaragoza fails to score clear-cut goal.

2:02 > > > 2:33

Real Zaragoza is correctly awarded a penalty kick; foul by Higuita, after another clear-cut chance by Real Zaragoza.

Real Zaragoza scores the penalty kick; 1-0 goal.

Pacho Maturana described this goal as a gift; but honestly, it is difficult to say what exactly is the 'gift' as referenced by Maturana...

Does Maturana mean to say that Higuita's foul was preventable, in other words, a gift?

Or is Maturana alluding to some 'gift' that occurred before Higuita's actual foul, in other words, penalty kick?

2:33 > > > 2:42

Real Zaragoza fails to score another clear-cut chance.

2:42 > > > 3:04

Bad pass by Valderrama gets intercepted; Real Zaragoza immediately scores the 2-0 goal.

Horrible decision-making by Valderrama in this sequence.

3:04 > > > 3:16

Second yellow card (ergo, red card) after an obvious hand-ball by Real Zaragoza; Real Zaragoza now playing with 1 player disadvantage.

3:16 > > > 3:30

Just 6 minutes after the red card against Zaragoza; the referee inexplicably showed the direct red card against Onesimo.

Onesimo's foul was hardly a yellow card; the direct red card really is a stretch... if it can even be described as a stretch.

This is more of the same bizarre anti-Valladolid brand of refereeing that has been routine throughout La Liga 1991/92, so far.

The referee clearly balancing the game here, with a mistaken direct red card; Onesimo's foul was a yellow card in the worst of cases.

Hierro, Chendo, and Sanchis, in Round 2 were not shown the yellow card for far worse fouls.

Unacceptable anti-Valladolid bias on display again, by all of the referees in La Liga 1991/92.

3:30 > > > 3:41

Excellent medium-range chipped pass by Valderrama; excellent pre-assist by Valderrama; Fonseca scores the 1-2 goal.

One of Valderrama's better passes, in La Liga 1991/92.

Valderrama arguably compensating for his big mistake in Real Zaragoza's 2-0 goal.

The referee decides to rule out the goal; alleged off-side. Of course, the goal was, in fact, completely on-side; as was obvious to see from any angle, both the live camera and/or the replay camera.

This is not normal referee behavior... At this rate, Real Valladolid is getting nearly 50% of their converted goals, ruled out, always by mistaken referee decisions; at some point, these referee 'mistakes' can no longer realistically be considered as mistakes.

3 goals incorrectly ruled off.

7 clear cut penalty kicks not given.

I just wonder... what exactly needs to happen, what specific collection of circumstances, what specific series of events; what is it that needs to happen, so that Real Valladolid does not get goals incorrectly ruled out? Or for that matter, so that Real Valladolid is rewarded with a much deserved penalty kick?

3 out of 11 goals; incorrectly ruled out.

8 out of 9 clear cut penalty kicks; incorrectly ruled out.

I mean, this is just not normal referee behavior; the degree to which Valladolid is getting dismantled by the referees, is statistically extraordinary.

To be clear; Real Valladolid has been denied 7 clear-cut penalty kicks, and another 3 clear-cut legal goals that were ruled out by the referees, adding up to 10 goals canceled by the power of the men in black; 10 goals, of course, versus the 8 goals that Real Valladolid has actually scored.

This is absolutely extraordinary behavior by the referees of La Liga.

3:41 > > > 3:53

The referee incorrectly rules out the 3-0 goal by Real Zaragoza.

In my opinion, this obvious 'mistake' by the referee, was merely to mask the fact that he mistakenly canceled Valladolid's 1-2 goal; when the game was still in the balance.

With the game almost over, near the 90th minute; it was easy for the referee to cancel the 3-0 goal by Real Zaragoza, which can then conveniently be used as an argument to justify how the referee canceled the 1-2 goal by Valladolid, when the game was still up for grabs.

I mean, I'm just going to explicitly get to the obvious point: I think this is unprofessional and corrupt behavior by the referees of La Liga...

I mean, I cannot seriously entertain the idea that all the referees, when playing at home, and also when playing away from home; all the referees, consistently act in such a way, that they make mistakes against the same club...

As such, I just cannot think of some alternative conclusion I can draw, other than the overwhelmingly obvious conclusion that the vast collection of referee 'mistakes' against Valladolid is not random coincidence, but clearly racial bias; bias confirmation by the referees of what appears to be a fundamentally racist culture i.e. league structure.

Valderrama had never experienced this racial bias in the French league, obviously because the French league had a lot of world class black players who were future internationals for France.

Marcel Desailly was a regular at Nantes.

Jocelyn Angloma was a regular at Paris Saint Germain.

Zinedine Zidane was a regular at Cannes.

Lilian Thuram would quickly follow.

Claude Makelele would quickly follow.

Thierry Henry would quickly follow.

Patrick Vieira would quickly follow.

Minorities were more or less sufficiently integrated into the system, in the context of the French league. The opposite truth appears to be the case, in the context of La Liga; where only Brazilians and Argentinians were treated with the respect that they deserved.

Valderrama and Maturana were both consistently treated like overrated hacks, basically guilty by association of being Colombians apparently; expendable or reprehensible third world citizens of the world, in the eyes of the referees of La Liga.

I mean, the 'mistakes' keep coming, game after game, and it is unacceptable just how consistent and obvious the bias is; racially motivated or not.

It is no wonder, that Valderrama wanted out of Spain. He was one of three of Valladolid's scapegoats, as the referee bias was conveniently downplayed or just downright ignored altogether.

Valderrama:

In the specific context of this game, which was consistently reported to be a tactical battle; it is difficult to imagine Valderrama as having a bad or mediocre performance. Furthermore, his costly misplaced pass, which directly assisted Zaragoza's 2-0 goal, was arguably compensated for by virtue of his excellent pass; the pre-assist to Valladolid's 1-2 goal.

Of course the referee mistakenly canceled Valladolid's 1-2 goal, in which case, Valderrama ends up looking worse than he should... Which, honestly, probably is what the referee wanted and intended, as he 'mistakenly' canceled a goal that had been created by Valderrama's passing ability.

With all of the above sentiments in mind; my best guess is that this was an above average performance by Valderrama; or in the worst of cases, it was an average performance by Valderrama. But if I had to bet on it, my best bet would be that it was an above average performance by Valderrama.

Valladolid:

In the words of Real Valladolid's coach:

"I think we didn't have sufficient maturity, if that is the best word for it; to recognize Zaragoza's own strengths, and we began to make concessions, especially in the first minutes of the first half, which I think encouraged this Zaragoza team; a team with good footballing arguments, and a team that did well to make the most out of Valladolid's gift in the first goal; Zaragoza was by far the better team in the second half."

In the words of Real Zaragoza's coach:

"I think it was manifestly demonstrated, that Valladolid is organized and disciplined on the pitch; a playing style that is distinctly difficult, uncomfortable, and did not allowed us to operate at our best... But honestly, it was a great second half by Zaragoza. My conclusion is that this was an authentic football match; with two sides that could have won, that actively tried to find the goal at all times; the two sides actively tried to impose their own style of football."

Neither coach is complete correct, in my opinion.

Real Valladolid's coach is too negative; ignoring or downplaying the fact that Fonseca failed to score a clear-cut header, as well as the fact that the referee canceled a perfectly on-side goal... If Valladolid scores the clear-cut header, and does not get the 2-2 goal ruled out; the entire complexion of the game changes, in my opinion.

Not to mention the fact that Onesimo's red card was ridiculous, complete without merit, especially in the context of La Liga 1991/92; where Fernando Hierro and Sanchis routinely get away with far worse fouls, without getting so much as a yellow card.

Real Zaragoza's coach is too charitable towards Valladolid; yes, it could have been the type of game where either side could've won the game, but as things played out in reality, it was not a game where either side could have won; Real Zaragoza created 4 clear-cut chances, double the rate as Real Valladolid's total of 2 clear-cut chances.

And lastly, I think it should be noted in the context of Round 10, that Real Zaragoza had not conceded one single goal in Round 6, Round 7, Round 8, and Round 9 combined; on aggregate, 360 minutes without conceding one single goal...

Real Zaragoza was the 5th place team, immediately after Round 9.

Real Zaragoza was the 4th place team, immediately after Round 10.

0 - 2 defeat for Valladolid / Result.

1 - 2 defeat for Valladolid / Most logical result.

7 points / Result.

16 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 8 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 11 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 14th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 19 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 9 goals conceded / Most logical result.

13. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 11.

Real Valladolid vs. Real Oviedo.

0:48 > > > 1:09

Oviedo scores a perfectly-placed goal; 1-0 goal.

Valderrama tries to steal the ball away from the Oviedo player who served the assist; which makes me wonder, where is Leonel Alvarez in this play? And why is Valderrama trying to cover the basic function of the defensive midfielder? This is bad defensive organization by Valladolid, in my book.

1:24 > > > 1:40

Oviedo very nearly scored the 2-0 goal; the ball hit the post, as it was centimeters away from becoming the 2-0 goal.

Higuita single-handedly to blame for what could have been the 2-0 goal.

Valladolid fans begin to 'boo' Higuita; which Higuita deserves, to be honest.

1:40 > > > 1:53

Valladolid very nearly scored the 1-1 goal; a half-chance in the best of cases, but Valladolid almost scored said half-chance. At any rate, the ball hit the post, as it was centimeters away from becoming the 1-1 goal.

It would have been a header goal by Fonseca.

1:54 > > > 2:12

Real Valladolid should have been awarded a clear-cut penalty kick; instead, the referee not only does not award the penalty kick, but also shows the yellow card to Fonseca, the player who was fouled.

I mean, should I just pretend that this new referee mistake is yet another 'random' coincidence, in a long collection of similar coincidences, by all of the referees in La Liga 1991/92??

8 clear cut penalty kicks not given.

At this rate, Valladolid literally has been denied as many clear cut penalty kicks, as it has literally scored goals...

2:12 > > > 2:34

Valderrama scores a very good placed-shot; 1-1 goal.

Valderrama, as reported by the commentary in the video, had been 'booed' in this game by the Valladolid fans.

2:35 > > > 2:43

Valladolid fails to score a clear cut chance.

2:44 > > > 3:01

Valladolid with a powerful long range shot; good save by Oviedo's goalkeeper.

3:01 > > > 3:20

Valladolid fails to score clear cut chance.

3:20 > > > 3:28

Oviedo fails to score clear cut chance.

3:28 > > > 3:49

Higuita with another horrible suicidal decision; a completely irrational and unnecessary penalty kick foul, in what was a relatively normal 'comfortable' situation without much danger to even begin to merit Higuita's suicidal act of self-destruction.

Higuita's foul was a clear cut penalty kick.

The referee decided that it was not a penalty kick, which is the first time that a referee mistake has been to Valladolid's benefit. Of course, Valladolid was also robbed of what was a clear cut penalty kick...

In other words, the referee mistakes balanced themselves out in the context of this specific game.

Valderrama:

My best guess is that this was an average or above average game by Valderrama; but not a 'good' game by Valderrama. That being said, it was Valderrama who in fact scored the only goal by Valladolid.

Valderrama was 30 years old at the time, and past his best from a physical stand point; at this stage of his career he needed a player like Onesimo, who could do the slalom dribbling runs, etc. Which is why it is not a particularly big surprise to me, that per the reports, this was a 'bad' game by Valladolid; in the absence of Onesimo... Valladolid did not have any other world class dribblers in the team.

The above dynamic, I think had negative effects on Valderrama's ability to contribute with positive influence; and by extension, it also negatively affected Valladolid's performance level as a team, in general.

At any rate, the (in my opinion, mistaken) direct red card against Onesimo in Round 10, proved to be costly.

Valladolid:

Per the reports, a mediocre performance by Real Valladolid; but then again, in terms of clear cut chances, Real Valladolid created more clear cut chances and arguably deserved to win this game.

3 clear cut chances created by Real Valladolid.

1 clear cut chance created by Real Oviedo.

Real Valladolid created literally triple the amount of clear-cut chances.

Higuita single-handedly being Oviedo's best player, is a false argument in terms of discrediting all of Valladolid as a team.

After you cancel out Higuita's suicidal mistakes, what you get is 3 clear cut chances created by Real Valladolid, versus 1 clear cut chance created by Real Oviedo.

That is the plainly self-evident truth; which is why the negative reports are bizarre in my opinion... I mean, I can understand it, if Real Valladolid was criticized for playing boring football; that would be a reasonable argument to make. But the fact that Real Valladolid is being criticized for having 'bad' games, is bizarre to me, because Valladolid literally created triple the quantity in terms of clear cut chances.

Valladolid's entire team is being discredited, basically because Higuita was horrible in this game.

1 - 1 draw for Valladolid / Result.

2 - 2 draw for Valladolid / Most logical result.

8 points / Result.

17 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 9 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 12 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 14th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 21 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 11 goals conceded / Most logical result.

14. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #14 leadleader, Apr 18, 2021
    @comme

@Moishe

Thank you for moving the thread to this section of the forum.

Would it be possible to delete all of the posts that were written before the "thread re start" post (including the thread re start post itself)?

To be clear, the thread re star post is post number 10 of this thread.

It is quite incoherent and confusing, the way I started this thread; which is my mistake, of course, but given the lack of editing tools, I can only delete all of the posts that I wrote before said "thread re start" post.

If possible at all, it would be appreciated.

15. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 12.

Atletico Madrid vs. Real Valladolid.

0:11 > > > 0:40

Surprise... Surprise... In minute 1 of the first half; the referee gave Atletico Madrid a penalty kick; not a clear hand ball, but a correct hand ball penalty kick, in my opinion.

Of course, my disgust is not with the penalty kick itself; as again, it was a legit penalty kick, in my opinion. But rather, my disgust is that far clearer hand ball penalty kicks, as well as any other variety of clear cut penalty kicks, have been consistently not given when Valladolid was the club that would have benefitted from said vast collection of not given penalty kicks.

At this rate, Real Valladolid has had 1 penalty kick in favor; versus 2 penalty kicks against... This simply cannot be explained, if not on the basis of racial bias, or just good old xenophobic bias; in either case, it is abundantly clear to me that this is just unprofessional, and disgusting, behavior by the referees of La Liga 1991/92.

0:40 > > > 0:50

Atletico Madrid failed to score clear cut goal.

0:50 > > > 1:11

Fonseca failed to score clear cut chance.

1:11 > > > 1:27

Excellent lobbed pass by Valderrama; this could have easily been the assist for the 1-1 goal.

Alleged penalty kick in favor of Real Valladolid, as the Valladolid was allegedly immediately fouled upon receiving said excellent pass from Valderrama.

The referee, as usual, did not give the penalty kick...

For a change; I actually agree with the referee; this does not appear to be a legit penalty kick, I think it was a dive (a convincing dive, it should be noted) by the Valladolid player.

Of course, the reality still is that the penalty kick would have been routinely not given; even if it had been a legitimate penalty kick.

This was a rare type of game, in my view; the first half was a balanced affair; Valladolid in the first half failed to score a clear cut chance, and then could have had a penalty kick with better luck... In terms of clear cut chances, it was 2 and 2 for either team.

It was in the first 10 minutes of the second half, that Valladolid completely collapsed; conceding the 2-0 goal and the 3-0 goal in quick succession, as Valladolid just gave up on the pitch... at which point, Atletico Madrid ruthlessly took over the game.

2:06 > > > 2:27

Atletico Madrid failed to score clear cut chance.

Atletico Madrid gets a corner kick, as a result of Higuita's save

This was a good save by Higuita, for a change, it should be noted.

2:27 > > > 2:47

Atletico Madrid scores the corner kick goal; 2-0 header goal.

Horrible set piece defending by Valladolid's back 4.

2:47 > > > 3:17

Atletico Madrid scores the 3-0 goal.

Terrible defending by Valladolid; in fact, Atletico Madrid's goal was directly assisted by a rather stupid pass by one of Valladolid's back 4 defenders; the central defender, Caminero, with a mistaken pass, directly assists the 3-0 goal by Atletico Madrid.

Valderrama was subbed out of the game, immediately after the 3-0 goal; precisely, two minutes after the 3-0 goal.

3:27 > > > 3:44

Fonseca scores the 1-3 goal.

Horrible defending by Atletico Madrid.

3:44 > > > 4:15

Atletico Madrid scores the 4-1 goal.

Great goal by Bernd Schuster; also great inter-passing by Bernd Schuster, in the build up to said goal.

4:24 > > > 4:35

Atletico Madrid fails to score clear cut chance.

4:35 > > > 5:24

Atletico Madrid scores the 5-1 goal.

Great slalom dribbling run by Bernd Schuster, who then also scored the goal itself.

Valderrama:

The 90 minutes of this game are available on youtube; therefore, there is no need to deduct nor to speculate with regards to Valderrama's individual actions in this game.

Surprisingly enough, I think that Valderrama was one of the few 'defensible' players for Valladolid; delivering 2 dangerous passes in the first half, each of which could've easily and directly been converted into a goal for this Valladolid side.

At the same time, it should be noted that Valderrama was unequivocally mediocre in terms of the traditional art that is ball retention; obviously a bad look, that Valderrama got himself dispossessed at least 4 different times, which was most uncharacteristic of him... But again, in terms of passing, positioning, movement, defensive pressing; in this rudimentary regard, I would argue the case that Valderrama was one of the few defensible players for Real Valladolid.

At any rate, the most negative thing I can say about Valderrama's performance, is that it was average at best; but again, in the context of this game, Valderrama was arguably one of the better players for Real Valladolid.

I mean, even Onesimo had a very quiet game.

In other words, I think it would be unrealistic to describe Valderrama's performance as a bad game. I mean, not only do I think it wasn't a bad performance in any given context, but especially in the context of this game, it just wasn't a bad performance in my view. Being average and being bad, are extremely different things.

And on a similar note, I would also argue the case that Valderrama's substitution was a mistake by Maturana. Without Valderrama on the pitch, Valladolid only became worse, as Bernd Schuster completely took over the game... Maturana mistakenly substituted one of the few defensible players for Real Valladolid.

In the 57 minutes that Valderrama played, Real Valladolid only conceded 1 penalty kick (in minute 1 of the first half), 1 corner kick goal, and 1 open play goal; all 3 goals as a direct result of Valladolid's horrible defensive performance in this game.

Stupid and sloppy hand ball by Leonel Alvarez; 1-0 penalty goal.

Horrible set piece defending by Valladolid's back four; 2-0 corner kick goal.

Stupid and sloppy pass by Caminero; 3-0 open play goal.

How Valderrama can be used as scapegoat for the events above, is not only blatantly irrational, but indicative of an inherent bias against Valderrama, who seemingly always gets the blame in any game where he is anything below his 'good' form.

Not to mention the fact, that the first half was completely balanced in terms of clear cut chances, and in terms of everything else really. Valderrama played the first half.

On the other hand, in the 33 minutes that Valderrama did not played, Real Valladolid conceded Bernd Schuster's exhibition goals; 2 spectacular dribbling goals by Schuster, as Atletico Madrid imposed themselves as complete control masters of the game.

When Valderrama was on the pitch; Atletico Madrid's goals were directly assisted by individual mistakes, by individual defensive players of Valladolid.

When Valderrama was not on the pitch; Atletico Madrid's goals were a case of Bernd Schuster literally destroying the whole defence of Valladolid.

Individual mistakes do not necessarily kill a team.

In sharp contrast, when the entire defence gets repeatedly destroyed by one Bernd Schuster... that generally kills most teams, because it is far more difficult to correct mistakes, when said mistakes are the result of 4 different players, as opposed to just the 1 player who made the mistake.

Of course, as usual, Valderrama was widely perceived as one of the main culprits of this devastating 1-5 defeat.

Xenophobia.

Racism.

Call it whatever you prefer; but it is self-evidently palpable; it is obvious to the naked eye.

Valladolid:

Competitive first half against one of the more difficult opponents in La Liga 1991/92. But unfortunately, the team completely collapsed throughout the initial 10 minutes of the second half.

It is bizarre to think that this was arguably one of the better games by Higuita, if not the best game by Higuita.

On a similar note, it is also somewhat bizarre to think, that in terms of points, Valladolid's result vs. Atletico Madrid was essentially the same result that most of the top 4 clubs had, when playing in Atletico Madrid's stadium.

2 - 2 draw for Barcelona (1st place).

0 - 2 defeat for Real Madrid (2nd place).

0 - 1 defeat for Valencia (4th place).

1 - 5 defeat for Real Sociedad (5th place).

1 - 5 defeat for Real Valladolid (19th place).

1 - 2 defeat for Real Zaragoza (6th place).

Atletico Madrid was in 2nd place, immediately after Round 10.

Atletico Madrid was in 2nd place, immediately after Round 11.

Real Madrid was in 1st place, immediately after Round 11.

Barcelona was in 5th place, immediately after Round 11.

Atletico Madrid finished the league in 3rd place, but had extremely realistic chances to win La Liga; for example, in Round 35, Real Madrid won directly against Atletico Madrid, but Atletico Madrid finished La Liga with 53 points, Real Madrid finished La Liga with 54 points, and Barcelona finished La Liga with 55 points...

In other words, La Liga 1991/92 was an extraordinarily unpredictable and volatile three horse race, until the bitter end.

1 - 5 defeat for Valladolid / Result.

1 - 5 defeat for Valladolid / Most logical result.

8 points / Result.

17 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 10 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 17 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid 22 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 16 goals conceded / Most logical result.

16. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #16 leadleader, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Round 13.

Real Valladolid vs. Osasuna.

0:47 > > > 1:04

I think this was a clear cut penalty kick in favor of Osasuna.

Horrible defending by Valladolid's by Caminero, who was also in bad form vs. Atletico Madrid in Round 12.

The referee does not give the penalty; horrible decision, in my book.

At any rate, a rare instance of Real Valladolid benefitting from a mistaken referee decision, or non-decision in this case.

1:04 > > > 1:27

Real Valladolid should have been awarded a clear cut penalty kick.

The referee, as is routine by now, does not give the penalty kick.

Of course, Osasuna was also robbed of what was a clear cut penalty kick; in other words, the referee mistakes balanced themselves out in the context of this specific game.

9 clear cut penalty kicks not given.

At this rate, Valladolid has only been given 1 penalty kick after 10 clear cut cases of penalty kicks; 1 out of 10 is not normal referee behavior, not even in the context of La Liga 1991/92.

1:27 > > > 1:40

Osasuna scores the 1-0 goal.

Corner kick pre-assist; header assist.

Again bad set piece defending by Valladolid's back 4; for the second consecutive game.

1:54 > > > 2:18

Fonseca fails to score clear cut chance.

Fonseca should have scored this with his eyes closed.

Great long ball assist by Valladolid's central defender, Caminero, who appears to be great at long ball assists, as evidenced in several other games.

2:29 > > > 2:50

Big mistake by Valderrama, his short pass to Alvarez, very slightly missed Alvarez, as Osasuna intercepts said misplaced pass; Osasuna immediately transitions into the counter attack...

Luckily for Valladolid, Osasuna's killer pass was ruled out; incorrect off side decision by the referee, but to be fair, it was extremely close, as far as the on-side versus off-side limit goes. This is generally 8.5 times out of 10 ruled out by most referees of that era.

At any rate, an unusual instance of the referee helping out Valladolid.

But at the same time, and I cannot stress this enough; this is what happens at least 85 percent of the time; the referee will call it an off side, if the difference in terms of off side versus on side is relatively microscopic; centimeter-based.

In other words, this referee mistake does not even begin to justify Valladolid's clear cut off side decisions; Valladolid has gotten goals ruled out on the basis of obvious, easy to see, mistaken off side decisions. Suspicious decisions. Unlike this one against Osasuna.

Furthermore, it has to also be noted; the terrible defensive job by Valladolid's wide defender here... The two central defenders did an excellent job in terms of the off-side trap, but then Valladolid's wide defender silently and stupidly slipped himself in behind the off-side line, for no other reason than to literally destroy his own off-side trap??

At any rate, just horrible defensive organization by Valladolid; this should have been easy to defend. Why in the world is the wide defender making that run, to that position? It makes absolutely no sense; neither tactically nor on the basis of pure intuition.

In the 15 (or less) percent chance that the referee had not given the off side decision; this should have been a yellow card or a direct red card for Valladolid's Caminero, in my opinion.

Caminero fouled the Osasuna player, just as the Osasuna player was near the penalty box. This should've been a free kick from close range, and a yellow card or direct red card for Caminero.

But again, and I couldn't possibly stress this enough; the alternative reality where Caminero would get the yellow card or the direct red card, is 85 (or more) percent of the time a routine off side call by the referee.

2:50 > > > 3:26

Probably Valderrama's best piece of skill in all of these highlight videos; very good ball retention by Valderrama, immediately followed by a great long pass pre-assist; Onesimo was unleashed by Valderrama's service.

Onesimo was great when on the ball, as usual, as he bamboozled the defender in front of him; as Onesimo immediately delivered the assist; a very good assist, it should be mentioned.

Fonseca scored the 1-1 goal.

4:28 > > > 4:50

In the modern context, this could arguably be a soft penalty kick in favor of Osasuna; however, this type of contact was too soft for the era of La Liga 1991/92, and in the context of the era, I do not consider this a clear cut case of a mistaken decision by the referee.

This is 99 percent of the time, not a penalty kick, in the context of La Liga 1991/92.

And honestly, I'm not even sure if it even was or would be a penalty kick, even after adjusting for the modern context of soft fouls.

4:50 > > > 5:00

Fonseca failed to score a very good half-chance; this could've been the 2-1 goal to win the game.

Valderrama:

My best guess is that this was a relatively average performance by Valderrama, but with the notable moment of magic; the impressive pre-assist for Valladolid's 1-1 goal.

Valladolid did not played good football, and did not dominated, as was reported in the video; and something that the video itself would appear to confirm...

In that context, it is difficult to imagine Valderrama having a good game; the more logical conclusion, is that Valderrama was relatively average, but he also did produced the moment of magic, as he pre-assisted the only goal scored by Valladolid.

Average versus bad; are very different things.

Average and at the same time delivering an impressive pre-assist for the only goal that Valladolid scored, versus bad; are extremely different things.

Onesimo and Valderrama more often than not, appear to be the most consistent players for Valladolid...

The many clear cut chances that Fonseca fails to score most of the time; this is not created out of thin air...

Fonseca gets treated like the home golden boy, even as he continues to fail to score clear cut goals...

It is quite bizarre, to say the least.

Valladolid:

It was one of those games, where Valladolid was arguably the inferior team, at the same time that Valladolid actually created the superior quantity in terms of clear cut chances; and in that context, Valladolid should've won this game, even as Oviedo was arguably the better team.

That was the type of game that Round 13 was for Valladolid.

1 - 1 draw for Valladolid / Result.

9 points / Result.

18 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 11 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 18 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid 24 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 18 goals conceded / Most logical result.

17. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #17 leadleader, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Round 14.

Valencia vs. Real Valladolid.

0:17 > > > 0:25

Valencia fails to score a half-chance; failed bicycle-kick style goal.

0:25 > > > 1:03

Valencia scores half chance goal; 1-0.

1:03 > > > 1:13

Onesimo clearly fouled inside the box; a clear cut penalty kick.

The referee does not give the penalty kick.

9 clear cut penalty kicks not given.

11 goals scored by Real Valladolid.

At this rate, Valladolid has been denied almost as many clear cut penalty kicks, as the actual goals scored by the club.

1:13 > > > 1:40

Valencia wins penalty kick.

Almost literally a perfect copy of Onesimo's clear cut penalty.

Penalty kick given when it benefits Valencia.

Penalty kick not given when it would've benefited Valladolid.

Valladolid's and Valencia's respective penalty kicks, are clear cut cases of penalty kicks, but referees just consistently do not want to give any penalty kicks to Real Valladolid; as was the case again in Round 13, versus Valencia.

Valencia scores the penalty kick; 2-0.

Referee Bias Confirmation Dynamic:

Valderrama used the word 'hijueputa' a lot. Which translates to 'motherf_cker' in English, or in the context of Spanish itself as understood in La Liga.

Referee A said:

"Valderrama told me 'motherf_cker' the other day... Who does he thinks he is? He just got here, and thinks he can behave like he did in his third world country, Colombia. And frankly, if you asked me, he is nowhere near as good a player as he thinks he is."

Referee B said:

"I know right..."

Referee C said:

"I don't know about you guys, but I will put my foot down; Valderrama will get an immediate yellow card, if he so much as calls me motherf_cker."

I can easily see how the bias confirmation dynamic as reductively explained above, probably played against Real Valladolid. It could be racism. It could be xenophobia. Or it could be a basic clash of cultures. But the end product is that the referee bias confirmation clearly snowballed into destructive consequences for Real Valladolid; decisive goals ruled out due to mistaken off side decisions; clear cut penalty kicks not given, etc.

Real Valladolid consistently gets the bad end of the stick, in terms of mistaken referee decisions... This is beyond a foregone conclusion as of Round 14.

I knew from having watched the highlight videos, that Real Valladolid was dismantled by the referees; but now that I am analyzing the mistaken referee decisions in statistical terms, on paper, it becomes a foregone conclusion that the reality was in fact a lot worse than I had assumed when I first watched the videos; through observation only, as opposed to analyzing and quantifying it on paper.

1 penalty kick in favor of Valladolid.

3 penalty kicks against Valladolid.

3 goals incorrectly ruled off against Valladolid.

9 clear cut penalty kicks not given; against Valladolid.

That is corrupt and reprehensible bias by the referees of La Liga 199/92.

Valladolid is competitive against most of the top 4 sides of La Liga 1991/92, even after adjusting for the extraordinary circumstance of referee bias; the demonstrable, measurable, circumstance that consists of referees doing their best to sabotage Valladolid.

At any rate, I genuinely do not like to use 'racial' arguments in football, but I really think that referees disliked Valderrama, in part because of Valderrama's dirty-mouth personality, and in part because of Valderrama's obvious non-white facial features.

My best guess is that the referee bias is racial, xenophobic, and cultural, all at the same time.

1:40 > > > 1:48

There is an 11 minute video of this game, where this play is shown from the beginning.

Valderrama evades a defender on the basis of excellent ball retention skill, as he creates a passing angle out of nothing (note: this ball retention sequence is not shown in the shorter 5 minute video); in the end, Valderrama delivers a very good pass to Engonga.

That pass to Engonga is the only fragment of the sequence, that can be observed in the shorter 5 minute video.

Engonga had a very good opportunity to deliver a good cross; instead, Engonga's cross was bad. At any rate, Valderrama did well here, to have created that play out of basically nothing.

1:48 > > > 2:28

Valencia scores goal; 3-0.

Valencia was clearly off side.

This is a very easy and clear cut off side decision for the referee.

The referee allows the goal to stand.

This is unprofessional and vindictive behavior by the referees of La Liga 1991/92.

1. Valladolid was denied a clear cut penalty kick.

2. Valencia was then given a clear cut penalty kick, immediate after Valladolid were denied their own clear cut penalty kick.

3. Valencia scores off side goal; off side by miles; but the referee does not rule out the goal.

Most logical result, as of this point in the game (still in the first half):

1 - 2 defeat for Valladolid.

Actual result after adjusting for the demonstrable referee bias, as of this point in the game (still in the first half):

0 - 3 defeat for Valladolid.

This is why Valladolid is in the relegation zone fighting for dear life, instead of occupying a position between 4th place and 8th place.

2:28 > > > 2:40

Valencia fails to score clear cut chance.

Terrible defending by Valladolid in this sequence.

2:47 > > > 3:20

Valladolid scores goal; 1-3.

Great team goal by Valladolid; with a beautiful finish by Engonga.

Valderrama was involved in the build up to the goal; setting up the pre-assist.

Fonseca with a very good lobbed pass assist.

Probably one of the more beautiful goals in La Liga 1991/92.

3:20 > > > 3:47

Fonseca gets fouled inside of the penalty box; another clear cut penalty kick for Valladolid.

The referee gives the penalty kick.

Fonseca fails to score the penalty kick.

Concerning Fonseca's failed penalty kick; it is important to take a pointy hat note of the fact that the referee gave this penalty kick, when the game already was a 0-3 defeat; at this point, it was virtually impossible for Valladolid to climb back into this game.

The referee, however, due to random coincidence or not failed to give the obvious penalty kick when the game was a minimal margin 0-1 defeat, during the first half.

The referee bias is crystal clear in my eyes; they consistently try to hide or minimize their bias, only after the result is virtually guaranteed to be negative for Valladolid.

3:56 > > > 4:07

There is an 11 minute video of this game, where this play is shown from the beginning.

Valderrama with excellent ball carrying, evades one or perhaps two of Valencia's midfield players; Valderrama unleashes a shot, the shot is blocked, and the random deflection ends up back in Valladolid's possession; Valladolid immediately passes the ball to Valderrama, who managed to 'ghost' his way into the wide areas; Valderrama with a very good left-footed (his weaker foot) cross for Fonseca.

Fonseca fails to score the clear cut header.

Another clear cut chance not converted.

It is quite perplexing and frustrating, the fact that Fonseca scored a great header goal in Round 7, versus Mallorca... but then in Round 14, versus Valencia, Fonseca failed to convert what appears to be a much easier, close range, header goal.

Strikers are such mystical creatures.

4:12 > > > 4:28

More shameful referee bias.

Routine or normal foul by Leonel Alvarez, who gets arguably a harsh yellow card.

Leonel Alvarez complains to the referee; the referee immediately decides to show the second yellow card, quite literally, one or two seconds after already having shown the first yellow card; Leonel Alvarez red carded on the basis of a harsh double-yellow...

Alvarez, like Valderrama, uses Colombian slang terms such as 'hijueputa' a lot. The referees of La Liga clearly take offense at that, not appreciating the fact that such slang words are completely normal in Colombian football.

Fernando Hierro in Round 2 (versus Valladolid), was not shown one single yellow card after doing approximately 5 times the damage that Alvarez did here.

This is not random happenstance.

The referees of La Liga 1991/92 were consistently biased against the Colombian Valladolid.

1. Valladolid was denied a clear cut penalty kick.

2. Valencia was then given a clear cut penalty kick, immediately after Valladolid were denied (robbed of) their own clear cut penalty kick.

3. Valencia scores off side goal; off side by miles; but the referee does not rule out the goal.

4. Referee gives a penalty kick for Valladolid, but the game already was a 0-3 defeat for Valladolid; in other words, the referee had already done the damage, and was now trying to hide it or camouflage it on the basis of lessening the end result.

5. Leonel Alvarez gets hit with an insane double-yellow, for what was in fact a routine foul in La Liga 1991/92.

This referee not only destroyed Valladolid's chances of competing in this game, but also forced Valladolid into having to play the next game without Alvarez, one of the best players at Valladolid.

The referee bias is strong in this one.

In fact, this exact same situation repeats itself in Valderrama's and Alvarez's last game for Valladolid; versus Barcelona, Round 17.

1. Alvarez gets obviously fouled by Barcelona; in fact, this was a yellow card foul in all probability...

2. The referee obviously ignores the clear cut foul, because the referee is obviously biased; Barcelona literally scores the 1-0 goal, because the whole Valladolid team stopped playing after the obvious foul on Alvarez, who was still complaining to the referee.

The snowball bias confirmation; referees already know about how vulgar Valderrama and Alvarez allegedly are. The 'hijueputa' Colombian slang. The referee already knew that, if he denied an obvious foul in favor of Valladolid, then probably Valderrama and/or Alvarez would end up lashing out, probably the 'hijueputa' slang term would be in play at this point.

3. The referee shows the double-yellow to both Valderrama and Alvarez, in minute 27 of the first half, in the process ensuring that Valladolid would get a negative result as it is virtually impossible to get a positive result with 2 men down, with 63 minutes of the game still to be played out.

"Never in my life, had a football player told me even half of what Valderrama and Alvarez said to me."

The referee bias can be demonstrated, not only in video, but also in terms of the actual original newspapers in Spain at the time.

Spanish referees had little to no tolerance for Colombian slang words, which finally and conclusively explains why Real Valladolid was getting so many bad referee calls from day one of La Liga 1991/92.

4:28 > > > 4:35

Valencia now playing with a one man advantage, fails to score a clear cut chance.

4:35 > > > 5:08

Valencia now playing with a one man advantage, and against a demotivated and miserable Real Valladolid; Valencia again fails to score another clear cut chance.

Valderrama:

Valencia finished in 4th place, and the Mestalla stadium is notoriously difficult; the fact that Valladolid was competitive versus Valencia, in Valencia's stadium to add, is indicative of the possibility that Valderrama had a good game here, as is also indicated by the fact that Valderrama was involved in 3 out of 4, of the clear cut chances generated by Valladolid.

It would appear to be a foregone conclusion that Valderrama had a good game vs. Valencia; that would make it 2 good performances against top 4 sides, Real Madrid in Round 2, and Valencia in Round 14.

Most unusual, from a player who allegedly failed or flopped in his brief spell in La Liga.

Valladolid:

Valladolid's undeserved result vs. Valencia was arguably better, or at worst the same, as literally all of the top 3 clubs:

0 - 1 defeat for Barcelona (1st place).

0 - 2 defeat for Atletico Madrid (3rd place).

1 - 2 defeat for Real Madrid (2nd place).

1 - 3 defeat for Real Valladolid (19th place).

Valladolid was again competitive against a top 4 side; in fact, Valladolid was extremely unlucky to not have gotten at least one point (a draw) out of Round 14.

Valencia created a half chance (failed bicycle kick), half chance (1-0 goal), penalty kick (2-0 goal), an off side goal (3-0 goal), and a failed clear cut chance (4-0 goal if converted), after which the referee double-yellowed Alvarez, and the game was effectively over.

Valladolid created a clear cut penalty kick (1-1 goal if converted), clear cut chance (2-3 goal), clear cut penalty kick (3-3 goal if converted), and a clear cut header chance (4-3 goal if converted), after which point Alvarez's double-yellow ends any chances Valladolid had of competing.

1 - 3 defeat for Valladolid / Result.

3 - 3 draw for Valladolid / Most logical result.

9 points / Result.

19 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 12 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 21 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid in 18th place / Result.

Real Valladolid 27 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 21 goals conceded / Most logical result.

18. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #18 leadleader, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    Round 15.

Real Valladolid vs. Tenerife.

0:34 > > > 0:59

Caminero with a suicidal mistake; Tenerife scores goal; 1-0.

1:18 > > > 1:30

Valladolid half chance assisted by a random deflection; Valladolid almost scores the 1-1 goal.

1:30 > > > 1:50

Referee shows the second yellow to Tenerife player; terrible referee decision as there was no merit in a second yellow card.

The referee destroyed the balance of the game, early in the game; minute 22 of the first half.

This is the first unjustifiable, and even suspicious, referee decision to help Valladolid.

2:15 > > > 2:41

Onesimo apparently fouled inside the penalty box.

The referee gives the penalty kick.

The irony here is that this alleged penalty kick; I think this is a dive, a reasonably convincing dive, but a dive nonetheless, by Onesimo.

I can see why a referee would give this penalty kick, but this should not be a penalty kick, in my book.

Oh never mind; the referee changed his mind and decided not to give the penalty kick... This is now an indirect free kick...

Valladolid doesn't score the indirect free kick.

2:41 > > > 3:06

Valladolid's Engonga scores a header goal; 1-1 goal.

The goal was assisted by a corner kick.

3:06 > > > 3:17

Valderrama and Onesimo with a good sequence, but in the end Onesimo's cross failed to connect with the target.

The commentary here states that this is Valderrama's best game, apparently, as he allegedly took over the game.

Of course, it should simultaneously be noted, that Tenerife is playing with one player less, which arguably facilitates Valderrama's role in the midfield.

On the other hand, it is also reported that Tenerife has 'parked the bus' as a result of playing with one man less; and this defensive dynamic, probably does not facilitate Valderrama' role as the midfield maestro.

At any rate, the general impression I get from the commentary, and from the video, is that Valderrama had significant influence over the game as a result of Valladolid's one man advantage; but at the same time, Valderrama failed at the task of breaking down Tenerife's parked bus, as is easy to deduct by looking at the lack of clear cut chances by Valladolid.

3:27 > > > 3:46

Tenerife scores goal; 2-1.

3:46 > > > 4:27

Onesimo with an impressive dribbling run, dribbles past one of Tenerife's defenders, and then quickly passes the ball to a free Fonseca

Fonseca immediately delivers a short cross; the resulting deflection randomly lands in Valderrama's path.

Valderrama takes the shot, in run, with his first touch on the ball; the shot was blocked by the goalkeeper; and the resulting random deflection as the shot was blocked, randomly or luckily landed on Onesimo's skillful feet.

Onesimo scores goal; 2-2.

Valderrama:

As reported throughout the video, this was allegedly Valderrama's best performance for Valladolid; but honestly, other than the commentary, the video does not really show concrete instances that would indicate that this was indeed Valderrama's best performance...

At any rate, I very much doubt that this was Valderrama's best performance; Valderrama did not even celebrated Valladolid's 1-1 goal, as he looked quite dejected and/or indifferent, disconnected in sense, even as Valladolid scored the 1-1 goal, he would not bother with joining his teammates as they celebrated the goal.

The above image of a player who is quite evidently not happy at the club, makes me think that this surely must not have been a performance quite as good as versus Real Madrid, versus Valencia, versus Espanyol, etc. But then again, maybe this was indeed one of Valderrama's better games.

At any rate, my best guess is that this was a good performance or an above average performance, where Valderrama allegedly dominated the midfield, but without being able to inject the decisive end product against Tenerife's parked bus.

Valladolid:

An uninspiring performance by a dispirited side; Caminero's costly defensive mistake set the tone of the game, as Tenerife had to park the bus and defend the 1-1 result. Onesimo and Valderrama appear to be the only life left, in this Valladolid side; or at least that is the logical impression that the highlight video sets the tone for.

Then again, a dispirited and dejected side is only normal, considering the relentless attack by all referees in La Liga. It must be incredibly frustrating to consistently be good against the top 4 sides in La Liga, only to get dismantled by a horrible collection of mistaken referee decisions; not to mention Fonseca's horrible form in front of goal, which includes not scoring either one of the only two penalty kicks that have been awarded to Valladolid.

It is quite tragic that Onesimo, arguably one of the top 5 players in La Liga 1991/92 as of Round 14, is playing for a club that currently sits in 18th place, as one of the clubs to be relegated at the end of the season.

And it is similarly tragic; the fact that Valderrama is relentlessly targeted as one of the players to blame for Valladolid's unmitigated disaster; even as Valderrama, if the videos are actually a good indication... I mean, not only is Valderrama not in bad form, but he consistently appears to be one of the few relatively consistent players for this unlucky Real Valladolid side.

2 - 2 draw for Valladolid / Result.

10 points / Result.

20 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 14 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 23 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid 29 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 23 goals conceded / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid in 4th place / Most logical result.

19. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 16.

Cadiz vs. Real Valladolid.

No Video Available.

0 - 0 draw for Valladolid / Result.

0 - 0 draw for Valladolid / Most logical result.

11 points / Result.

21 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 14 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 23 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid 29 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 23 goals conceded / Most logical result.

20. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Round 17.

Barcelona vs. Real Valladolid.

0:58 ////// 1:42

A clear foul on Leonel Alvarez; this was arguably a clear-cut yellow card, as Alvarez was clearly kicked from behind, as he was dispossessed, which can be appreciated in full detail in the replay.

The referee ignores the obvious foul, and Valladolid's entire team was caught off guard by Barcelona's counter attack; 1-0 goal by Barcelona.

I have what appears to be conflicting reports...

The video does not explicitly states it but appears to indicate that Valderrama received the direct red card in minute 26, at the same time as Barcelona's 1-0 goal, and ergo directly as a result of the, per allegation, very serious insult that Valderrama leveled at the referee.

On the other hand, worldfootball.net states that Valderrama was directly red carded in minute 66... almost a full 45 minutes after Barcelona scored the 1-0 goal; in other words, if Valderrama actually played until the 66th minute, this means that Valderrama was a part of the Valladolid team that almost scored the 2-2 goal.

At any rate, worldfootball.net is demonstrably mistaken; Alvarez received a double-yellow i.e. direct red card in minute 26; and Valderrama received a direct red card in minute 26.

In summary: Real Valladolid - as was always the case throughout Valderrama's short spell in La Liga - was the victim of extremely suspicious referee behavior.

Real Valladolid was unfairly reduced to 9 men as early as in minute 26 of the game, and the only 2 players to be ejected from the game were literally the only 2 Colombians left in Valladolid; Higuita had already returned to Colombia.

2:48 ////// 3:08

Barcelona scores an obvious off-side goal; the referee does not see the obvious off-side; Barcelona scores the 2-0 goal.

It is impossible to compete when the referees are so blatantly biased; both of Barcelona's goals are illegal goals; the 1-0 goal was directly assisted by a foul that the referee did not see; and the 2-0 goal was an obvious off-side goal, and the referee obviously failed to see the off-side.

1. Alvarez gets obviously fouled by Barcelona; in fact, this was a clear-cut yellow card foul in all probability...

2. The referee obviously ignores the clear cut foul, because the referee is obviously biased; Barcelona literally scores the 1-0 goal, because the whole Valladolid team stopped playing after the obvious foul on Alvarez, who was still complaining to the referee.

3. The referee shows the direct red card to both Valderrama and Alvarez, in minute 26 of the first half, in the process ensuring that Valladolid would get a negative result as it is virtually impossible to get a positive result when playing with 9 men, with 63 minutes of the game still to be played out.

"Never in my life, had a football player told me even half of what Valderrama and Alvarez said to me."

The above statement by the referee, cannot even begin to justify the obvious mistakes by said referee; Leonel Alvarez was obviously fouled, and in fact it was a reckless tackle from behind, which should be an automatic yellow card per the book; and more of the same referee bias, when the referee failed to see the obvious off-side when Barcelona scored the 2-0 goal.

No amount of 'bad' words by Valderrama and Alvarez, can even begin to justify the actions of the referee; not in this game, and not throughout La Liga 1991/92; this is unprofessional behavior by all of the referees in La Liga.

1 - 2 defeat for Valladolid / Result.

11 points / Result.

22 points / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 15 goals scored / Result.

Real Valladolid 25 goals conceded / Result.

Real Valladolid 30 goals scored / Most logical result.

Real Valladolid 24 goals conceded / Most logical result.

21. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #21 leadleader, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    [​IMG]

Valladolid, Valderrama, and Onesimo; the underrated, little known story of how (probably racist) referee manipulation in La Liga 1991/92 demonstrably dismantled a more or less competitive Real Valladolid team.

Having watched the highlights videos before writing down this argument; I was well aware of the fact that referee manipulation could probably be demonstrated by using video only, but what I wasn't expecting, was for the referee bias to also be abundantly demonstrable in terms of plainly mathematical facts that one can verify without the benefit of the highlight videos.

Real Valladolid 1991/92:

41 yellow cards.

2 direct red cards.

2 double-yellow i.e. direct red cards.

4 direct red cards.

49 yellow cards.

17 games.

Real Valladolid's Direct Opponents On Aggregate 1991/92:

28 yellow cards.

0 direct red cards.

17 games.

I have only analyzed the best 4 clubs in the league and the worst 4 clubs in the league, and out of said 8 clubs, Real Valladolid is the only one with a detrimental ratio of 49 yellow cards against Valladolid, versus a disproportional 28 yellow cards in favor of Valladolid; Real Valladolid suffers from an absolutely abnormal 21 yellow card deficit...

49 yellow cards against Real Valladolid.

28 yellow cards in favor of Real Valladolid.

21 yellow cards; deficit against Real Valladolid.

The deficit itself is almost as large as the total yellow cards that were accumulated, after 17 games, on aggregate by the direct opponents of Real Valladolid; this is abnormal, and I see no reason to seriously entertain the idea that any other club was as badly dismantled by referee manipulation, as Real Valladolid was in the first 17 games of La Liga 1991/92.

And not only is the deficit and ratio absolutely abnormal, but also, this Colombian Engine Real Valladolid side was made in the image of Pacho Maturana; an idealist known for fair play, which makes it all the more perplexing that Real Valladolid would have 49 yellow cards against them, and only 21 yellow cards in favor of them; this is the statistical result of a violent and negative side...

But again, Pacho Maturana was the ultimate idealist; in fact, Maturana was his own worst enemy in this regard, at times, but he always was known for fair play, for playing attractive football, and not at all for the violent and negative tactical approach that would be required to sufficiently justify such a disastrous record of yellow cards.

It would appear to be a forgone conclusion; the educated assumption that Real Valladolid received more yellow cards and more red cards than any other team in La Liga, despite the fact that Real Valladolid was not a violent team, as should be obvious to tell merely by looking at Valderrama and Onesimo; highly skillful players who would never benefit from violent tactics... This is obvious both in terms of the videos, as well as in theory.

Worst 4 clubs in La Liga 1991/92:

Deportivo La Coruna; 17th place; 31 points.

Cadiz; 18th place; 28 points.

Real Valladolid; 19th place; 27 points.

Mallorca; 20th place; 27 points.

Mallorca 1991/92:

40 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

42 yellow cards.

17 games.

Mallorca's Direct Opponents On Aggregate 1991/92:

45 yellow cards.

0 direct red cards.

17 games.

Cadiz 1991/92:

38 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

40 yellow cards.

17 games.

Cadiz's Direct Opponents On Aggregate 1991/92:

37 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

39 yellow cards.

17 games.

Deportivo La Coruna 1991/92:

13 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

15 yellow cards.

Deportivo La Coruna's Direct Opponents On Aggregate 1991/92:

27 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

29 yellow cards.

Worst 4 clubs in La Liga 1991/92:

Deportivo La Coruna; 15 yellow cards against Deportivo La Coruna; 29 yellow cards in favor of Deportivo La Coruna; making this an anti-deficit (or surplus) of 14 yellow cards in favor of Deportivo Coruna.

Cadiz; 40 yellow cards against Cadiz; 39 yellow cards in favor of Cadiz; making this more or less a perfectly balanced ratio.

Mallorca; 42 yellow cards against Mallorca; 45 yellow cards in favor of Mallorca; making this a negligible anti-deficit (or surplus) of 3 yellow cards in favor of Mallorca.

Real Valladolid; 49 yellow cards against Valladolid; 28 yellow cards in favor of Valladolid; making this an absolutely abnormal deficit of 21 yellow cards against Valladolid; the only club in the league with a massive yellow card deficit against them.

Best 4 clubs in La Liga 1991/92:

Barcelona; 1st place; 55 points.

Real Madrid; 2nd place; 54 points.

Atletico Madrid; 3rd place; 53 points.

Valencia; 4th place; 47 points.

Valencia 1991/92:

35 yellow cards.

2 direct red cards.

39 yellow cards.

17 games.

Valencia's Direct Opponents On Aggregate 1991/92:

38 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

1 double-yellow i.e. direct red card.

2 direct red cards.

42 yellow cards.

17 games.

Atletico Madrid 1991/92:

37 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

39 yellow cards.

17 games.

Atletico Madrid's Direct Opponents On Aggregate 1991/92:

50 yellow cards.

3 direct red cards.

56 yellow cards.

17 games.

Real Madrid 1991/92:

19 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

21 yellow cards.

17 games.

Real Madrid's Direct Opponents On Aggregate 1991/92:

33 yellow cards.

0 direct red cards.

17 games.

Barcelona 1991/92:

29 yellow cards.

2 direct red cards.

33 yellow cards.

17 games.

Barcelona's Direct Opponents On Aggregate 1991/92:

32 yellow cards.

1 direct red card.

2 double-yellows i.e. direct red cards.

3 direct red cards.

38 yellow cards.

17 games.

Best 4 clubs in La Liga 1991/92:

Barcelona; 33 yellow cards against Barcelona; 38 yellow cards in favor of Barcelona; making it a minor anti-deficit (or surplus) of 5 yellow cards in favor of Barcelona.

Real Madrid; 21 yellow cards against Real Madrid; 33 yellow cards in favor of Real Madrid; making this a significant anti-deficit (or surplus) of 12 yellow cards in favor of Real Madrid.

Atletico Madrid; 39 yellow cards against Atletico Madrid; 56 yellow cards in favor of Atletico Madrid; making this a massive anti-deficit (or surplus) of 17 yellow cards in favor of Atletico Madrid.

Valencia; 39 yellow cards against Valencia; 42 yellow cards in favor of Valencia; making this a negligible anti-deficit (or surplus) of 3 yellow cards in favor of Valencia.

Negative Yellow Cards in La Liga 1991/92:

49 yellow cards; Real Valladolid.

42 yellow cards; Mallorca.

40 yellow cards; Cadiz.

39 yellow cards; Valencia.

39 yellow cards; Atletico Madrid.

33 yellow cards; Barcelona.

21 yellow cards; Real Madrid.

15 yellow cards; Deportivo La Coruna.

Positive Yellow Cards in La Liga 1991/92:

56 yellow cards; Atletico Madrid.

45 yellow cards; Mallorca.

42 yellow cards; Valencia.

39 yellow cards; Cadiz.

38 yellow cards; Barcelona.

33 yellow cards; Real Madrid.

29 yellow cards; Deportivo La Coruna.

28 yellow cards; Real Valladolid.

Real Valladolid suffers from the very curious and unique condition of being the worst team in the league in terms of positive yellow cards, and simultaneously, the best team in the league in terms of negative yellow cards; an underrated statistical double-negative that cannot be sufficiently explained on the basis of in-game dynamics.

Of course, it also does not help at all, that the referee manipulation was consistently crucial in minimal margin competitive games where Real Valladolid was punished with mistaken referee decisions; decisive goals were ruled off because of mistaken off-side referee decisions; mistaken red cards against Valladolid's best players; obvious penalty kicks were routinely ignored when in favor of Valladolid, but then not ignored when against Valladolid; etc.

As clearly demonstrated by the highlight videos:

Real Madrid vs. Real Valladolid; Round 2.

Clear-cut penalty kick in favor of Real Valladolid is ignored by the referee.

Real Madrid wins by the smallest of margins; 1-0 win.

Real Valladolid vs. Logrones; Round 3.

Real Valladolid scored the 2-2 goal; the goal was ruled off due to an alleged hand-ball... The replay fails to show or demonstrate the alleged hand-ball.

Logrones wins by the smallest of margins; 2-1 win.

Deportivo La Coruna vs. Real Valladolid; Round 4.

Real Valladolid scored the 1-1 goal; the goal was ruled off due to alleged off-side; it was, in fact, not an off-side goal. Another decisive referee mistake going against Valladolid.

Real Valladolid should have been awarded a clear-cut penalty kick; instead, the referee ignores what was a rather obvious penalty, as was also the case versus Real Madrid in Round 2.

Deportivo La Coruna wins by the smallest of margins; 1-0 win.

Real Burgos vs. Real Valladolid; Round 6.

Real Valladolid should've been awarded a clear-cut penalty kick; obvious hand-ball by Burgos; the referee ignores it, as usual.

Valladolid's Fonseca is obviously fouled inside of the box; the obvious penalty kick is, as usual, not awarded by the referee.

Real Burgos won by the smallest of margins; 1-0 win.

Real Valladolid vs. Real Sociedad; Round 9.

Real Valladolid should have been awarded another obvious clear-cut penalty kick; but as usual, the referee does not give the obvious penalty kick.

This is a 2-2 draw for Real Valladolid; the ignored penalty kick could've easily been the decisive 3-2 goal to win the game.

Real Zaragoza vs. Real Valladolid; Round 10.

Just 6 minutes after the cumulative (not direct) red card against Zaragoza; the referee inexplicably showed the direct red card against Onesimo. Onesimo's foul was hardly a yellow card; the direct red card really is a stretch, if it can even be reasonably described as a stretch.

The referee clearly balancing the game here, with a mistaken direct red card; Onesimo's foul was a yellow card in the worst case scenario.

Excellent medium-range chipped pass by Valderrama; world class pre-assist by Valderrama; Fonseca scored the 1-2 goal.

One of Valderrama's better passes, in La Liga 1991/92.

Real Valladolid's 1-2 goal is inexplicably ruled off; this is yet another mistaken off-side decision by yet another referee.

Real Zaragoza wins by 2 goals; 2-0 win.

In the best case scenario, this should have been a minimal margin 2-1 win for Real Zaragoza; but as usual, the referees simply appear to be on a mission to destroy Real Valladolid.

Mistaken direct red card against Onesimo; the best player of Real Valladolid. Not only did this ensured that Real Zaragoza would win this game, but it also ensured that Real Valladolid would very probably not win the next game.

Mistaken off-side decision against Real Valladolid; what would have been a decisive 1-2 goal, with plenty of time still in the game.

Valencia vs. Real Valladolid; Round 14.

Onesimo clearly fouled inside the box; a clear-cut penalty kick; the referee does not give the penalty kick.

Valencia wins penalty kick; almost literally a perfect copy of Onesimo's clear cut penalty; penalty kick given when it benefits Valencia; penalty kick not given when it would've benefited Valladolid.

Valencia scores the 3-0 goal; this goal was clearly an off-side goal; the referee fails to see the obvious off-side.

Real Valladolid's Fonseca fails to score penalty kick; this would have been the 2-3 goal.

Real Valladolid's Fonseca fails to score a clear cut header; this could have been the 3-3 goal.

Routine or normal foul by Leonel Alvarez, who gets arguably a harsh yellow card; of course, Alvarez was immediately shown a second yellow card, because he had the audacity to complain to the referee; this is yet another direct red card against Real Valladolid.

Valencia was probably always going to win this game, simply because Valladolid's Fonseca failed to score 2 clear-cut goals...

It is very difficult to win games when the striker cannot even score penalty kick goals, but again, the only reason why Valencia wins 3-1 is because the referee fails to see the obvious off-side when Valencia scored the 3-0 goal; al the while, the referee also failed to see the obvious penalty kick when Onesimo was fouled in the first half; and of course, then there's the ridiculous direct red card against Leonel Alvarez, as the referee more or less single-handedly decided the outcome of the game.

This is not normal referee behavior; Real Valladolid's abnormal positive yellow cards versus negative yellow cards ratio, is perfectly consistent with the routine referee mistakes that can be observed in the highlight videos.

Barcelona vs. Real Valladolid; Round 17.

Obvious foul on Leonel Alvarez; this was not only an obvious foul but also arguably a clear cut yellow card foul, as Alvarez was recklessly kicked from behind...

The referee (as per usual) ignores the obvious foul, and Valladolid's entire team was caught off guard by Barcelona's counter attack; 1-0 goal by Barcelona.

Carlos Valderrama was punished with a ridiculous direct red card in minute 26, for having the audacity to complain to the referee.

Leonel Alvarez was punished with a ridiculous direct red card in minute 26, also for having the audacity of complaining to the referee.

Barcelona scores an obvious off-side goal; the referee does not see the obvious off-side; Barcelona scores the decisive 2-0 goal.

Barcelona won by the smallest of margins; 2-1 win.

Another game that was single-handedly decided by a referee who could not simply show one yellow card to Valderrama, and one yellow card to Leonel Alvarez; Real Valladolid received 2 direct red cards as early as in minute 26 of the game; all the while, Barcelona scored 2 illegal goals.