Vacationing in Portugal.

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by nas2nj, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Pila

Pila New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Noo Joisy!
    Crime in Portugal is overblown by the media. The population also have a tendency to be drama queens. Petty crime is up in Portugal, true. But, still remains oen fo the safest per capita. Like some of you already stated, nothing some common sense can't deter.

2. dfport7

dfport7 Member

Sep 16, 2002
    NJ USA
    hey frank cunha, im from near aveiro, and they have a place called tele-pizza,(practically the same as pizza hut) and they also have a mcdonalds near the feira nova. i was wondering the same thing-when people go to portugal on vacation, why would you want to eat from those american fast food restaraunts?

i always get the same stories about crime in portugal. my grandma owns a 2 story house, and the bottom is rented out to other people. and just the other day there car was stolen at night.

3. dtoste

dtoste New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    San Jose Ca
    One thing that is not blown out is the amount of drugs in Portugal. I couldn't go more than 30 minutes without someone offering to sell me drugs. I'll admit it though I had to eat at McDonalds. My girlfriend is not Portuguese and after two weeks in Acores when we got to lisbon she needed a little taste of home. I kept eating at this place called the Pans Company ( Portuguese version of Subway) it was sooo good they made the best sandwiches!

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Aveiro I like the quote I believe Nuno its the Venice of Portugal. I agree, I been to Feira Nova, I also like the New Mall in the middle of the city. With all the Fashions of the World.

5. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ

How was Acores?

My wife says it's beautiful.

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Anybody try the Cintra beer? I kindly like it, its not as strong as the Sagres.

7. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    True Frank.
    Sagres is very strong.
    Cintra, Imperial, and even the new Tagus beer is less strong and very good.

I know I'm forgetting other names like Super Bock, but there were many I tried in Portugal.

8. dfport7

dfport7 Member

Sep 16, 2002
    NJ USA
    yes, Aveiro truly is the Venice of Portugal. they have all these canals that you can actually ride via boat if you wish. Plus, the city is simply beautiful. its clean, full of shops and places to visit, and some great restaurants and nightlife. Not to mention the sidewalks and monuments, they are all so nicely decorated and add an amazing effect to the feel of the city.

and if you love the beach, its a short car-ride away.

GO BEIRA MAR!

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The goal keeper gave the game away in the 90m. Easy ball to grab, in the air, he drop it and Kibuey for Leiria scored the goal.

10. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    What???

11. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    When everybody was waiting for the final whistle of the game, a easy ball that the Beira-Mar goalkeeper should able to hold, he just drop it in front of the net.

Two points give away.

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Important three points for Leiria and Cajuda.

13. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Oh ok

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    trying to save my money for next year European Cup, if I don't make it to Portugal this year will be the first time in 15 years.

15. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    Same here. I wanted to go this year, but I'm waiting, and trying to save for Euro 2004.

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    anybody got any intentions of going to Portugal these year, I will be leaving on the 12 of August and will be back on the 16 of September, time for a lot games :D

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I'll be there in August...I hope, if I do go I 100% guarentee I will be present at the Luxemberg game. A possible Frank Cunha-Gooddead meeting in the works here people.

18. QuaresmaRonaldo

QuaresmaRonaldo New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Eu sou siumento [Jealous?]. Eu foi o ilha do Sao Miguel em 1995. Eu adorei.
    Eu gostava da visitar o Portugal - Lisboa, Leiria, Algarve, Porto, Braga, Guimaraes, etc. Ainda vai chegar uma temp q eu voi visitar essas partes todos.

Agora so preciso da aprender a falar, escrever, e ler Portuguese melhor.
    Alguem quero ensinar? Vai ser dificil, mesmo assim, eu paga bem! :p

19. wonderman

wonderman New Member

May 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I studied portuguese before going to EURO 2004 and it made the trip much more enjoyable. nao lembro como falar agora. I never practice any more, but I'll follow this thread or if you start another. I'd appreciate learning more portuguese!

20. sportinglisbon1

sportinglisbon1 New Member

Jan 2, 2002
    Mississauga, ON.
    Great thread... oh and this is true as well. I was in Belem and was stopped 3-4 times by guys that offered me some hash, after declining they'd go ahead and offer some coke, or 'coca'. But I'd rather prefer to return home without any help from the Canadian Embassy.

I just got back from portugal 2 days ago and it was truely 100x better then i had imagined. On top of it i was able to watch Sporting play Estoril for my first live game.... I'll be returning real soon!

21. Quaresma_10

Quaresma_10 New Member

Feb 10, 2005
    They have to get rid of the ciganos and east european criminals there as soon as possible!!!

I'm Portuguese and i hate to see that!!!

22. ChopSoccerDude

Dec 3, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    In that case then they'll have to get rid of Quaresma, who is a cigano! :cool:

23. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I thought that was ironic as well :D. The truth is there is a crime problem with some of the new immigrants from the east but they also do a lot of work Portuguese don't want to do. Go to any contruction site in Portugal and you will see tall blonde Ukrainians.

24. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    This one is for Frank:

[​IMG]

Aveiro 'Portugal's equivalent to Venice'. Great place to visit and people actually live here.

25. Susiem

Susiem New Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Montreal
    Quaresma 10, how ironic is it that you want to get rid of all the "gypsies" in Portugal and you are using Quaresma as a name tag?

In case you didnt know, Quaresma is a Roma ( Its not politically correct to call them Gypsies). Im sure they arent all bad.

When I was in Amsterdam a few years ago, my friend was pickpocketed by a guy who then claimed he was doing us a favor in returning his keys and wanted us to give him money to get them back. He first started buzzing around me but being a girl, we tend to be more intuned to our own personal safety than guys are ( we seem to be conditioned that way) and he could tell I was catching on so he knocked into my friend, and took his keys from his front pocket. I can tell you onething, he almost ended up having me push him in to a canal and he was not a cigano.