Vacationing in DC, need some advice.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by pbsharp, Jul 22, 2013.

1. pbsharp

pbsharp Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Troy, MI
    I am planning a weekend vacation to DC with my wife and three kids (12, 10 & 8) and plan to go to the United - Toronto game on 8/24. I am looking for any advice or suggestions from people in the area for the following questions:
    - Should I just order tickets from the DC United website, or is there a better way?
    - What sections do the supports sit and would you recommend sitting by them with an 8 year old?
    - Is the metro the best way to get to the stadium or should I just drive?
    - Is there anything at RFK that I have to see or eat to make the experience complete?

Also, because we are only staying in DC for a few days, what are the must see spots for the kids? I have heard a lot of great things, but there is no way we will be able to do it all with the limited time that we have.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Paul.

dadman repped this.
  2. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Don't know (haven't gotten regular section tickets for years now)

2. 127-139, but not all of them are supporter's sections. I know the Ultras and La Norte are down by 127/128/129?, then there is a gap, then the Eagles and Barra from 131-137?
    If you don't mind foul language for your kid then sure.

3. Probably drive as there are 5 of you. Parking is $15, metro fare both ways would probably be $5-7 or so each depending on where your hotel is.

4. No.

3. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Offpeak you are going to pay about $2 for metro per person if you are in DC. You will pay a bit more if you are coming from the suburbs.
    At RFK you must visit the World Famous Scarf Machine.

4. Aconti2

Aconti2 Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personaly wouldnt bring a small child to the supporters section but if you get a seat on that side you can enjoy the experience without being right in the middle of it.

I would definitely check out all the awesome museums in DC and the Zoo is really nice.

dadman repped this.
  5. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a bit more. Showing $2.10 from L'enfant 1 way, which is a short trip

6. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    i realized I was looking at the bus price from Union Station which was a bit cheaper. They will probably only need to worry about one-way. Their despair of seeing DCU lose to Toronto will make their hearts stop in their chests right at RFK after the 90 minutes.

BBBulldog repped this.
  7. pbsharp

pbsharp Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Troy, MI
    Follow up questions:

- Is it better to stay in say Alexandria (or other outside area) and use the metro to get into downtown, or spend the money and find a hotel in the heart of the city? In other words, is it worth saving money and dealing with the metro? I am coming from the Detroit area, so we do not have public transporation system to speak of - it is a foreign concept.

- To get across town on game day, how long should it take by car? By metro? Will traffic be a major headache that time of day?

Paul.

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    They could be TFC fans, in which case they'd need a return trip from RFK.

9. pbsharp

pbsharp Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Troy, MI
    Trust me, I am just excited to be able to watch professional soccer in person!

Paul.

10. stangspritzring

stangspritzring Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    NorMD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then why come to a United/Toronto match?

:D

dadman, bigredfutbol, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  11. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    If you get a hotel in DC it will cost more but it will make it easier to do things in DC like going to museums (which are free here). In general it is easier to get around DC on the Metro and it will be a new experience for the kids.

dadman repped this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The metro is pretty easy to use. I would not necessarily recommend it for attending a United game at RFK (I hate to be isolated from my car for that long and with kids one might need temporary A/C, etc) - but for your other days of hitting museums, it'll do just fine - it's an easy system to use IMO - but as a tourist you really need to know one thing about the DC Metro, specifically about the escalators if they happen to be working at your stop: Walk on the left, stand to the right.

If your kid can have some extra fun hearing the occasional possible dirty word and not go repeating them everywhere, I recommend the supporters sections for the experience of singing and jumping around - but if you think they'd just repeat the stuff later, there is a quiet side (what the ticket office probably calls the home side from the old football days at RFK) that provides a great view across the pitch to the supporters' sections.

I personally stand in 232 which is just above the Screaming Eagles main section of 134, you can still see the folks jumping in the SEs (132-134) and Barra Brava (135-137), and we all stand and sing for 90 - but you're not down IN the GA supporters sections. I believe the United ticket office sells in section 231 next to us (I'm sure they sell in my section too, but much of it is controlled by the SG itself).
    The 300-sections are generally more under the overhang (shade, rain) though not all are, and they sit down.

There is a seating chart on dcunited.com - under the Matchday heading I believe.

You can buy tix at the stadium, especially if you do decide to stand with one of the supporters groups (of the 3 main ones I think the SEs are the least foul-mouthed if that's a real concern :) none of them are horribly evil or anything but some folks are sensitive, I'm thinking your wife and/or girlfriend, kids all love it)

RFK food: avoid it all, especially the nachos or greyish hotdog-like things - with the very notable exception of the pupusa stand (usually near the team store at the main entrance, but not always). That place rocks a great rocking and has carne asada in addition to the delicious pupusas. Other than that, I would stick to beer and vodka lemonade inside. Oh, and the cotton candy doesn't suck ;)

They sell beer right at your seats if you aren't picky about brand, or a short walk will find you Guinness, Boddingtons, and a few other good beers.

The Screaming Eagles have a huge tailgate with all-you-can-eat/drink buffet of your standard fare, and good beers and soda - www.screaming-eagles.com for details and to pre-pay if you wish. I think it's $10 for non-members, but I haven't paid in years so I have no idea if that's right, might be slightly more this year. Well worth it at twice the price, especially if you end up eating an RFK hotdog instead :) We have NAthan's if you like hotdogs :)
    The Barra has a nice tailgate too, mostly community-style, bring food and share - they also supply some carne asada - their tailgate is free.

dadman and freekickwiz repped this.
  13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, some memorials; Lincoln, Jefferson, Korea, MLK, especially FDR - I recommend going to at night if possible, save the day for the museums (A/C and closed at night). The outside ones like those are really lit up nice at night and have way smaller crowds. No information or staff however.
    It's a beautiful city at night. Just don't necessarily walk around the neighborhoods near RFK at night, but anywhere near the Mall (museums, memorials) is perfectly fine 24/7.

dadman repped this.
  14. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Paul, the only place to stay in Alexandria near the Metro is Old Town which is quite nice, but pricey. There are 4 hotels near the Metro stop at King Street -- Hilton, Embassy Suites, Hampton Inn and some boutiquey thing with valet parking for the folks who show up in Range Rovers. The Hampton is the most reasonable, but is often sold out. The bottom line is that a decent hotel in the District in a place safe to walk around at night also will be pricey -- the city and the close in suburbs are just so damn expensive.
    I drive to the stadium from south of Alexandria using 295 and make a U-turn at Minnesota Avenue to park in Lot 4. Takes me 30 minutes on a weekend day, a little longer on a work night.
    For the kids: the Zoo (we used to live in Woodley Park and the Zoo was our kids' backyard while we lived in town). Air & Space, Natural History, and others are all good. The Newseum is good, but you will pay an admission. There is an annex to the Air and Space out at Dulles -- it's free, but $15 to park and there is nowhere else to park for free and walk so just resign yourself to paying $15.
    I heartily concur on the RFK food -- can't vouch for the pupusas because they're not my cup of tea.
    Hope you enjoy the trip, by late August the humidity may be down a bit, unless we get the remnants of a hurricane coming up the coast.

dadman repped this.
  15. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone here with kids should be able to expand on this post, or you can likely just google it these day, but when going to the Zoo (which I do highly recommend), there is one Metro station to use when going to the Zoo and another to use when leaving the zoo, so that both walks are downhill instead of uphill - but I cannot recall which is which (but with kids it is a very important decision to get right).

dadman repped this.
  16. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely Cleveland Park > Zoo > Adams Morgan is the downhill order.

Source: I work in Cleveland Park and have walked down to the McDonald's by Calvert for lunch, and the walk back is unforgiving, uphill stuffed with McDoubles and fries.

dadman and edwardgr repped this.
  17. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is Cleveland Park going to the zoo and Woodley Park-Zoo leaving the zoo that gives you the all-downhill experience. Another thing to remember about Metro - always put enough money on your fare card so you don't have to stand in line each time you take the train.
    I like the Natural History museum for kids - it has awesome exhibits that kids love. My grandkids were here recently and loved the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, but I've never been. Get there early to get an assigned tour.

dadman and fatbastard repped this.
  18. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    couple of things.
    DCU-TOR is not going to sell out. If you don't like where you are sitting, move to an empty section. For example, if you're too close to the standers and your 8 yo can't see move back to the empty seats. If it's too hot in the sun, move to the quiet side by the corner underneath the upper deck. There are some tricks to it, they never have anyone from the 300 deck (on the noisy side, there's a single hole in the wall) and the 300 deck near the papusa stand around behind old home plate. If you want to be more official you can go to customer service and trade in the tickets - but that seems so overkill.

Go in early and do the VW garage, things to do and watch Toronto warm up.

If you get general admission seats (from BB or SE), go in very early and get a front row seat.

I'd recommend not getting tickets from BB (without knowing first hand what you are getting into). If you do you need to be in the fartherest section from 135/136 - proabably 138? I can't remember all the details.

Walk around lot 8, watching all the tailgates (SE very organized, consistent; BB chaotic, friendly and inviting, drop in get a piece of meat - but you never know what there will be; DU - quiet, sedate, friendly next to bubbling brook known as the Ancostia).

Plan to hang out afterwards, because parking can be a clusterf with the closed road to Virginia

I'd drive with 5 people rather than taking Metro. My wife almost always drive downtown - but she is the parking whisperer.

things to do: Air & Space; American History, eat at Indian Museum (near Air and Space); monuments (it's a long walk from the capital to lincoln memorial over to jefferson.

dadman repped this.
  19. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing I'd echo here (as someone with kids) is that the food at the stadium, with the exception of of the pupusas (which are kind of like salvadoran filled cheese sandwiches with cole slaw) is really bad and expensive. And believe me i am not a food snob. Eat before you come. Also they don't allow umbrellas in the stadium.

dadman repped this.
  20. shepchews

shepchews Member

Apr 28, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The above should say " salvadoran GRILLED cheese". They are not filled with salvadorans

dadman, song219, fatbastard and 2 others repped this.
  21. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
    Weekend rates usually aren't bad--not sure exactly which nights the OP is staying, but the Hilton Old Town starts at $95 a night for August 23-25, and the Hilton Arlington which has an Orange Line stop right outside starts at $79. A number of the Hilton/HGI/Hampton hotels in the District are in the low $100s.

22. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paul my agency sent me to DC for the first time last summer, I found the Metro very easy to deal with but I am used to riding bus transit in Seattle. Also there are kiosks with staff to help you find your way so it is not all that daunting. It may help to familiarize yourself with the metro via its website before you get into town. If you plan on going this route make sure your hotel offers shuttle service to/from whatever airport you are flying in/out of. I used the Crystal City Doubletree and had a great room that was not at all expensive. Everything I have seen suggests you should be able to avoid car rentals entirely unless you plan on leaving the beltway and want flexibility, this would by far make the metro the less expensive option.

If you are only there for a few days and are going to the match then you can't go wrong with the Smithsonian, just pick which facets interest you and have at it. Also check if your hotel has one of the nighttime bus tours, I found this an exceptionally good way to see many of the major monuments, the only complaint was that there was not a little more time available, though with an 8 year old the 4 hours tour or so should be a great way to see most of the sites without having to deal with the normal 8 year old attention span issues.

This is the pov of another 'tourist' who had limited ground time take it for what its worth.

dadman and fatbastard repped this.
  23. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Is the OP flying or driving? Troy isn't too far away (500 or so miles), I drove from Detroit to DC in just over 7 hours last year (but I don't stop for breaks - and I drive with purpose).

5 people flying in for a week-end could be expensive.

If you're flying in - which airport? BWI is 30 miles away from DC; IAD is probably a little closer. If you fly into National, then you could get away without a rental car.

24. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would echo the night sentiment. The bus tour I mentioned hit all of these and some were quite awe inspiring by twighlight and night. The tour that I was on wrapped up at Arlington between 10:30 and 11pm. It was well worth it.

dadman repped this.
  25. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA

Inside the stadium, the Jerked Chicken with Fried Plantains is unique and really good. Other than the Pupusas, the stadium food is stadium food. There are a few beer stands with unique choices, including the Bud Lime-a-Rita