Va-Va Voom, speeding into Old Trafford : the Anthony Martial thread

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ashur, Aug 31, 2015.

1. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Lmao do you want to reword that? They are competing for La Liga. They won the Europa cup.

So you are saying he upgraded?

J'can, doubletrouble and jeff070 repped this.
  2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Come on dont be dense. These guys are like Arsenal or Leicester over there. They compete for the title in the odd season when RM or Barca are having horrible years. And winning the Europa is nice but again they are not every expected to win their league so Europa is their FA Cup win like Arsenal is.

3. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    What are we doing, though?

jnielsen repped this.
  4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sounds like United since Fergie left.

5. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Futbol_Head repped this.
  6. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Even you don't believe in what you're trying to do here. That's all I'll say.

7. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    All i asked is if you want to reword that.

You said something pretty silly considering man utds ambitions.

Were not title contenders. Were not cl contenders. Were Europa League contenders.

I don't understand why United fans are so up their own ass about other "smaller clubs. What the ******** are our ambitions?

Either you're living in the past or you're just too proud to admit you said something silly.

jnielsen repped this.
  8. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Common sense is not common. [emoji2365]

JC7rox and doubletrouble repped this.
  9. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Wait, aren't you the guy who suggested troy deeney?

And you're mocking Sevilla?

J'can repped this.
  10. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Are we really doing this? Really?

First off, I think you are the first person ever to insinuate I am being optimistic about anything.

Second, are you really saying Sevilla are as ambitious of a club as United? Thats just stupid. You can mock our execution all you want because its been laughable at best. But to insinuate we have the same ambitions as a club like Sevilla is just because you are bored and want to argue.

Sevilla have 8 more points than United, who have been awful this year, and they are playing in arguably the weakest La Liga in the past 20 years. They are already out of the CL where they were in a group with RB Salzburg, Lille, and Wolfsburg and you are gonna sit here and act like they are world beaters. GTFO of here. Its embarrassing.

11. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Our club ambitions are to make sure we finish 4th. That has been our main target the last 5 years. You cant honestly tell me the club expected a title challenge with the lack of proper investment on and off the pitch.

Sevilla are 4 points behind the leaders in La Liga. Why would you compare points totals of two teams from different leagues? How is that logical?

We're going out of the CL next round, so we wont be far behind. Last year we didnt even make it out of the group.

Never said they are world beaters. What are our ambitions? If you say CL and PL challenge, you are lying to yourself.

jnielsen and doubletrouble repped this.
  12. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    :ROFLMAO:

13. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This conversation is too stupid to entertain, and you know this as well.

14. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    There's 2 ways you can handle this. You can be a stubborn jerk, or you can show me my mistake or where im seeing things wrong.

I genuinely dont understand why this is so stupid. If this was 15 years ago, no question. Now, we're not even guaranteed to make the champions league every year.

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If you said Sevilla are a better team than us right now, I wouldnt take issue with that. But saying Martial was moving to a more "ambitious" club is ridiculous. The amount of money put into our squad alone shows we are more ambitious (even if it isnt where we think it should be). This club had ambition to challenge for a PL title this year but failed to invest in some much needed areas and then the wheels fell off. But I doubt we brought in Sancho, Varane, and CR7 because we we're fine with remaining in the top 4.

This debate started when I made the comment that Martial was moving to a smaller club. You pushed back. So you tell me, what makes Sevilla a bigger more ambitious club than us? Because so far the only evidence you've provided me is because they are closer to challenging for a league title, albeit in a much much weaker league where the perennial top clubs are at the worst level they've been at in 20 years.

Deadtigers repped this.
  16. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We got Eghalo which was all I asked for. We needed a different type of striker to our group at the time.

Yup Sevilla are a joke. Not a real or serious club.

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    #1392 benni..., Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    Never said they were a bigger club. Had you said they were a smaller club, i probably wouldn't have thought to reply.

You bring up one summer, last summer to show our ambitions. What about the window before that? We bought Donny, Amad and Telles. Before that? Wan Bisakka, Maguire, James, and Ighalo.

Only Bruno... So if this summers window signifies title push, what about the last 3 years? One ambitious summer since Pogba's arrival. Weve finished in the top 4, 4 times in the 8 seasons SAF left.

We need to be real about the current state of this club.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #1393 MizzouMUFC, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    You’re acting like this ambition discussion is being done in a vacuum. It’s not. You said Sevilla were more ambitious. So now tell me what transfer moves Sevilla have made that make them more ambitious than United.

United have spent 585 mil net the past 5 years. Most in the PL. Sevilla have spent 108 mil, actually 2nd in the La Liga but only because Real had some big outgoings in the past 3 years. But still, this doesn’t support your argument.

19. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    You can talk about a club being ambitious by spending ********loads of money, but a player’s ambitions relative to the team are not determined by the board. If the board’s ambitions are outweighed by their incompetence then the end result is that a genuinely ambitious player is more likely to want to leave Utd than stay. Ronaldo is more likely to want to leave than stay if we fail to land 4th place.

So yeah, it is pretty misguided to try and take a swipe at the ambitions or ‘level’ of Martial for moving to a club that might win a top 5 league, over staying at a club that is currently being given an 18% chance of making top 4.

J'can and benni... repped this.
  20. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    From a different thread:

benni... repped this.
  21. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    When Martial first came on board at United, I had an argument with Johno maybe about his needing to strengthen up for the league. The argument was that he would lose his touch and agility.

Both games against Barcelona and Real Madrid playing as loan man up top he has been eaten up. Granted that was my one and only criticism of him. He cannot hold people off the ball.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    His strength is far down the list of my complaints with him. His hold up play isnt good, but thats not the type of forward he is.

My complaints with Martial go: 1. Attitude/Mentality 2. Workrate 3. Movement off the ball 4. Fitness/Health.

Technically, Martial is very good and his close control is ridiculous when hes in the mood. The stats even show that he a very efficient finisher. His problem is that he thinks hes better than he is and he stands around on the pitch until someone gives him the ball. He has zero defensive workrate so he'll never work under a manager that likes a high press (Klopp, Pep, RR, ETH) and hes not special enough as an attacker to get a free pass.

My guess is he ends up back in France or Spain where he can be effective since so much space is given.

Deadtigers, SF19, J'can and 2 others repped this.
  24. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    I want this thread to be closed for good. We can get 15-20million max.

25. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC