v. west ham hocks

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by thejuggernaut, Apr 30, 2011.

1. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I cant imagine they will be a pushover being not far in the relegation zone despite being currently in last place. As for us, a win would be so brilliant in regards to the table. Basically creating a 7 point gap between us and the spuds, the largest gap between any two teams in the prem. It's all right there to be had. Get it in!!

2. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Channel - 90775 for those watching via Sopcast.

We should win, West Ham will be desperate for a win and that should leave holes at the back for us to exploit.

3. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    2 quick goals from the unlikeliest of sources!

A De Jong rocket and a sublime Silva pass which Zabaleta latched onto and volleyed home.

What next? Gazbaz and Kompany to score!

4. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    One step away from Champions League now!

Good performance today but not great, we tend to take our foot off the pedal when we have a decent lead and we let them back into it, leading to a typically nervous match!

Some great performances - Yaya, Lescott, Silva, Zaba, even Barry looked quality today as did Milner (playing where he likes to play - take note Bobby!) when he came on.

Zaba man of the match for me, a performance full of passion and a beautiful goal.

Kolarov still managed to look awful though, I don't think he's going to come good and I expect us to go in for a top LB like Coentrao in the summer.

5. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balo is still a mess.

Anyone see what happened to DeJong?

6. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hurt himself in training yesterday so wasn't 100% despite scoring the miracle first goal. :eek:

Probably explains why his passing was a bit sloppy in the first half. Mancini said he took Nigel off as a "precaution" so hopefully not too bad.

7. acleansheet

acleansheet New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DeJong's finally scored!!! Of all those 30 yard blasts, one's gone in! 7 points from Spurs and L'pool! Champions League looks all but sealed! Come on CITY!

8. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

easy... easy there. Let's not count our omlettes before they're cracked.

We're one food poisoning away from a Europa league spot... the spuds will know what im talking about.

9. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll feel more comfortable if we can get points from the Everton and Spurs games. Two team that we've had problems with the last two seasons. Need at least a draw from both games to really make 4th our own.

10. StuMCFC

StuMCFC Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 1, 2008
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Outsiders will view our run-in as elementary, but it is hard as any City fan with a fresh memory can attest to.

Everton: bogey team, keep beating us although we were a bit unlucky earlier in the season. Have won the last three against us I think.
    Spurs: self-explanatory
    Stoke: bogey team, have failed to beat them since 2009. Last four results: 1-1, 1-1, 1-3 (loss), 1-1 - and if we win the FA Cup they will be rabid for revenge.
    Bolton: in poor form but good at home and we have to go to their place.

Isn't over yet but we should do it!

11. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stu you are a scholar. I am more apprehensive about whats to come than before today. As a City fan I find it much easier to formulate how many ways we can bottle this than how little we need to finish it off. Everton and Stoke and Spurs, well lets just say I am very happy to be seven points clear of them. I will gladly lose to Stoke in the league if we beat them in the final. I just keep telling myself one game at a time boys, one game at a time. :D

12. deadendnights

deadendnights Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read this morning we need just 4 points from the remaining 4 games to wrap this up. This seems difficult to do before the last day of the season. If we can win/draw at Everton on Saturday, then just try to hit Spurs on the counter next Tuesday since their defense is leaky we could do it. Don't want to go into Wembley not having fourth wrapped up.

13. Johnny Bundesliga

Aug 6, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    One win in the last four should really settle it. That would put City out of Liverpool's reach since they have only three matches remaining. And although Tottenham has an extra game, just can't see them winning the last four of the season in their current form. Especially the away match at Liverpool with the last Europa League spot on the line.

Although City's loss at Liverpool was embarrassing, it has worked out great -- our rested players from that match contributed to the FA Cup semifinal win later that week, and we've since built a nearly impenetrable lead for fourth place.

So I would do the same as was done in early April for the next two matches. Rest DeJong, and play Vieira. Rest at least one of Silva/A Johnson and replace with defensive-minded midfielders. Basically play for draws in each match, and bring on Dzeko, Silva/A Johnson late if down 1-0. If you are able to get a point in one or both, then (pending other 'Pool and Tottenham results), only a draw in one or both of the last two matches will be needed.

There's only one match that NEEDS to be won. May 14 at Wembley. Need to do everything possible to have the best possible team available for selection that day.