UVA vs.UNC [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by turnaround, Sep 19, 2002.

1. turnaround

turnaround New Member

Jul 10, 2001
    Let's start the smack talk on this one, Saturday night in Chapel Hill.

My prediction: UVA 3-1 UNC

2. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Recent history would suggest that the Wahoos will come out on top in this one. The only time since 1995 that the Heels have beaten UVa is in the 2000 ACC tournament final. Last year saw UVa win 2-0 in Charlottesville. Obviously both teams are much different from that game. Carolina must make sure that it's defense is rock solid. Stokes and whoever else is in the middle of the back has to make sure that Eskandarian doesn't get room to take a shot at all. His left foot is deadly, and he's scored against UNC before. Another key point will be whether or not UVa will be able to control the midfield. This year finds them still looking for someone to take over for Martino, last year's playmaker. If Grant Porter is able to play for UNC, and Pause can play in a midfield role, expect Carolina to control the area. Also, does anyone know if Testo will play for UNC? Why was he suspended last weekend? My prediction: a close game, with UNC winning 2-1. It wil probably be an "ugly" win if it happens, but it will be a win nonetheless.

3. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    The word is that Testo got into a fight in a bar.

Porter is a good D-mid, but Joe Vide (UVA Frosh) is very talented and he'll create problems for UNC. He's a great set up man. That should be a good match up.

4. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    High scoring

These teams feature the two weakest defenses in the ACC (no one counts NC St as part of the league) so look for a high scoring affair probably 4-3 either way.

5. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    I really hope this isn't true, sounds like rumor, but maybe one of those situations where the whole story never comes out. Why would he be in a bar during the season anyway? That just doesn't sound right...

6. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Testo

Believe me, it's true. Happened on the infamous Franklin Street. Haven't heard if he's still suspended.

7. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
    The word is ....

It's not right, at least according to the newspaper account of the incident. Here's an excerpt from the newspaper article:

The charges stem from a fight between two UNC students, one of whom allegedly was Testo, at 3:10 a.m. Saturday in the parking lot outside Morrison Residence Hall.

University police Lt. Archie Daniel said the victim and a man he did not know got into an argument that led to a physical fight.

In an interview Monday, the victim said he was defending a friend when the suspect knocked him on the ground. Reports state that the victim was bleeding from the mouth and was intoxicated at the time police arrived.

The victim was treated at the scene by paramedics and advised to go to the UNC Hospitals emergency room. The victim said he went to the emergency room to have his bleeding chin looked at.

Testo was later arrested and charged Sunday in connection with the incident.

The victim said Monday that he wasn't aware anyone was arrested in the case. "I don't think he did anything wrong," the victim said.

8. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Collegesoccerfan #1

Can you post the link to the story? Thanks.

9. soccerclassic

soccerclassic New Member

Sep 15, 2002
    St. Simons
    Testo!

This fight story is true, but one thing that must not be forgotten is the fact that the other guy in which Testo got in a fight with is a Davidson player if I am not wrong, and he is the one who threw the first punch ... anyways, this should be droped and not talked about it anymore, because we are here to discuss soccer not fights!

10. collegesoccerfan#1

collegesoccerfan#1 New Member

Apr 21, 2002
    North Carolina
  11. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Re: Testo!

I think this forum is about college soccer. This means any and everything that falls under that umbrella, especially a player at such a high profile school as UNC. The price you pay for being an athlete? Special attention, both good and bad...

12. rymannryan

rymannryan New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    N.N., Virginia
    Did Testo score the first goal for UNC last year in the final?

13. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts
    Unless UVA's mid has improved, I don't look for a high scoring game at all. I say 2-0 UVA.

I have yet to see Vide in action, but hopefully he's a playmaker like you say LuvDaBears. That's what UVA really needs right now, to be able to maintain possession and get the ball through the midfield and up to Eskandarian. It doesn't matter how good he is if the team can't get the ball to him.

UVA desperately needs a win right now.

Also fight discussion is more than welcome here if it involves college players, thus making it on topic discussion.

14. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    No, Kneipper-on a header. Testo scored the first goal against Stanford.

15. Caravaggio

Caravaggio New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    final

UNC 2:1 UVa

Goals fom Alecko, Kneipper, and Testo, all in that order in a span of about 6 minutes in the first half. The first two were very similar goals; turnovers in by the defense, and two clinical finishes. Alecko was side by side with David Stokes (these two battled each other all night, both having their moments to shine), getting a great cross shot that just eluded Ford Williams' fingertips and tucked in to the left corner of the goal -- a real beauty of a goal. 2 minutes later Kneipper received the ball at the top of the 18, spun around and fired a shot into the right corner. David Comfort never moved -- it looked like his own player screened his viewing angle. The last goal came with the ball ping-ponging around the UVa box, and Testo eventually headed it in.

After a pretty nice first half (Carolina came close to a third at the end of the half on a couple of set plays), the second half, well, was pretty dull. UNC decided not to pressure, and started defending just outside midfield. They got a couple of sniffs on the counter attack, but UVa defended well, especially as the rest of the team was pushing forward. I don't think UNC really had a dangerous chance in the second half. Meanwhile, UVa dominated possesion, but UNC's defense contained quite well. Grant Porter (who played at left back) makes a big difference for the Heels. Ray Fumo also looked more comfortable as D-Mid. UVa had a couple of chances late though. A streaking Ryan Gibbs broke through the defense but saw his shot from about 12-15 yards go just to the left, and Ford Williams just tipped a lobbed shot over the bar from a corner. But, with UVa's lack of ability to break though UNC's shell, and UNC's lack of doing pretty much anyting offensively in the second made for sort of a disapointing second half.

16. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    UNC 2, UVa 1

UNC and UVa played a battle of an ACC match at Fetzer Field Saturday night. Both teams, coming off some unexpected losses early this season, were in need of the victory badly. One could tell from the beginning that there was an intensity on the field that is such a big reason why ACC soccer is the best in the US. Though the game wasn't always as good technically as most would like, there can be no complaints with the effort and intensity.

For a good game, the goals were rather disappointing. Uva scored first when Eskandarian picked off a deflected clearing pass from Grant Porter and had an incredible ten yard burst past David stokes and hit a right footed shot into the left side netting. It was Alecko's first real touch of the game, and his finish showed real class. That being said, he didn't show much else in the first half. He seemed lazy in getting back onsides, and did a lot of walking and not a lot of touching the ball. Also, Porter and Stokes were rocks in the back for UNC. Porter, coming off an ankle fracture, played a full 90 at left back and showed the determination and tackling that was so evident in last year's championship, and so missed in the early part of this year. Stokes was a man in the back. Other than the one time that Eskandarian ran past on the goal, he was his typical cool, won tons of headers and won every other one on one battle with Esk.

Carolina answered not too long after the UVa goal when Kneipper high pressured and slide tackled at top of the Uva 18. He won the ball, got up and toe poked into side netting. An ugly goal, some would say, but a great effort. Not more than 10 minutes later UNC scored again, as Crawford crossed the ball and Testo, simply trying to head it back across the goal, blooped a header that went in. There was a huge crowd in front of the goal and I'm not sure what the goalie was thinking.

So 2-1 at half. And the 2nd half was not as entertaining. UVa attacked from the beginning and UNC was content to blast out and hope for counterattack. Wahoos had 2-3 good chances, but Ford Williams scooped up almost everything. Alecko played with more energy and was definitely dangerous in little bursts. But UNC once again got the result, 2-1.

Some notes: UVa frosh Joe Vide started in central mid. Though he tried to provide a little creativity, most balls were in vain and he seemed out of place. A very "confident" player, it seems he treads along the lines of one who is too cocky right now as a freshman. Or maybe he will be a great player and it will just be confidence. Anyway, taken out in the first half, he never returned.

Arena DNP for UVa.

Phillip Long came in for UVa in 2nd half and played well on the left side. He was very dangerous in the first 20 minutes of the half and then he didn't get much service as Uva got frustrated and started hitting long.

Matt Crawford proved once again he is the most underrated player in the ACC with a real workman's effort in the midddle of the park. Ray Fumo also played an extremely smart game. He was always in the right place.

I hate to say I predicted it...no, I will. UNC 2-1. And UVa is a scary 3-3, 0-2 in the ACC. We shall see how it all turns out.

17. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    I have to say I was disappointed in this game. Both teams played mostly kick ball, with very little possession for either side, and there was absoluely no flow to the game at all.

I'll bet I didn't see more than 2 give and go's all night.
    This game was long ball city, and it was not entertaining. UNC sat back the entire second half, which resulted in a very boring second half, but they got the job done and that is what really counts. Still, from a fan's point of view, it was hard to watch.

On the UNC side, Ford Williams played really well in goal. The save he made in the second half tipping the ball over the crossbar was outstanding. Marcus Storey is their most dangerous player, but they rarely got him the ball in the attacking third. I thought Tim Merritt played well at right back, but Stokes doesn't seem comfortable at the center back spot. However, Stokes made a great play by dispossessing Eskandarian, which resulted in Esky committing a stupid foul and getting yellow carded.

For UVA, Hunter Freeman really played a solid game I thought, and certainly doesn't look like a freshman out there. When he gets involved in the attack, UVA is dangerous. This was the first time I've seen the Cavs this year, but I was really surprised at how little they posssessed the ball. Even when they weren't pressured, they always looked to play a 40 or 50 yard ball. Not what I'm accustomed to seeing. I expected to see them pinging the ball around the park, etc. There was absolutely no build up from the back by either side in this match. I'd also be curious to find out why Arena didn't play....I'm figuring he must be hurt.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    What's even more impressive about Freeman is that he's not just a freshman, but a 17-year old freshman. He's an 85 and won't turn 18 till next year.

19. FIXXXER

FIXXXER New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    Hotlanta, GA
    Interesting. I've heard numerous comments that he has been a little too highly touted and may take longer to develop than most people thought. I'd be interested to keep up with this thru the season. Courtney, have you got any thoughts or observations?

20. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    Wow...didn't know Freeman was only 17. To use the cliche, he's mature beyond his years. He really plays smart. There was one play in the game where he dispossessed a UNC attacker and he made it look like (another cliche, sorry) taking candy from a baby.

Concerning Joe Vide, this kid is a quality player. I'm sure as a freshman he's still adjusting to college, and, don't forget that he spent the past 3 years playing in Germany for 1860 Munich. College ball and club ball in Germany are much different. He did not have one of his best games against UNC....maybe trying to hard. Then again, UVA didn't play well as a team in the first half when he was in there. When it's all said and done, UVA fans will really like this kid.

21. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts
    Yup, I know. My mom said "Courtney, don't even think about it." LOL

But he definately shows a lot of maturity on the field. He impressed me right away. Glad to hear he's keeping up with that level of play.

Fixxer, I haven't seen Vide play yet, he hasn't played yet at Klockner this season. I'm guessing he'll play on Saturday nite, then I'll form my thoughts and opinion.