UVA vs Duke, not UNC [R]

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by ukforunc86, Oct 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill
    Previous undefeated against D3 and other Cupcake opponents Dukie gets the 3rd lose against a average UVA side.

Dukie gets lucky with 2 cheap goals and tries to foul it way to a win......the only thing Dukie wins is the foul and card count as Duke falls 3-2 in OT.

Hey Rennie the ACC teams come at that lead a little harder than those 10 Cupcake sides......

2. graphro

graphro New Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Re: UVA vs CupCake (DUKE)

Let's see if I have this straight. According to you...

Duke was undefeated against D3 and Cupcake opponents.
    Duke beat UNC during it's unbeaten streak.
    So by your logic, UNC is a Cupcake opponent.

I didn't realize you felt that way about your own team.

PS: Keep in mind that Virginia couldn't score on Duke until they were TWO MEN UP. Duke played the entire second half with 10 (Loftus = two yellow cards) and the last ten minutes plus overtime with only 9 (Pope = red card). I can't make any comments on the calls because I was not at the game, but I would appreciate an opinion from an unbiased observer. I find it odd that Duke had 5 cards and UVA had zero because Virginia is typically very aggressive. Regardless, UVA scored more goals and that's what counts, but I don't feel nearly as bad blowing a 2-0 lead knowing that UVA had a two man advantage.

3. graphro

graphro New Member

Sep 25, 2004

Slight correction from above,

the box score on virginiasports.com lists UVA with zero cards, whereas the box score on goduke.com lists UVA receiving a YC in the 15th minute.

Not sure which one is correct.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Average?

They're 13-2, 4-1 and in first place in the toughest conference in the country, riding an eight game winning streak, have outscored their opponents by a 3-1 margain (36-12), are ranked 2 (collegesoccernews.com), 3 (NSCAA), 7 (soccertimes) and 8 (soccer america) in the polls and have 16 players who have started at least four games.

There are a LOT of teams out there that would like to be this average.

5. thesoccerjock

thesoccerjock New Member

Jul 27, 2004

And I hope we get another chance this year to go into your house and administer yet another butt kicking. Remember how that felt last year? Was it embarrassing to be humiliated on your home field by a bunch of no names from Nebraska? I now understand why you continually overlook our program.

6. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

takes a lot of guts to post this thread title AFTER the game.

I thought the UNC/Duke game settled this. Shouldn't we get a year of silence. No, can't be that lucky.

7. kayasoleil

kayasoleil New Member

Aug 14, 2002
    Virginia

I was at the game, so let me give a rundown based on some facts. First, Duke controlled, though not dominated, the first half until the red card. THe first goal was a beautiful through ball and a superb finish from number 11, Wadsworth. Both teams played fairly poorly in the offenisve third up to that point, but then Duke got the ball to Wadsworth again who dribbled through the box, was shouldered off the ball well by Freeman, but then slipped under Freeman before the touchline and Freeman knocked him down. A no call in my book, but the ref called a penalty. Freeman should have done better and Duke put it away for a 2 nil lead that broke the momemtum UVA was building in front a large crowd, over 2500, maybe nearer 3k, if I remember correctly.

About ten minutes later, after a few more solid chances for Duke, a very deserved yellow card was issued to Chris Loftus, and it was second, for a hard fall on Nico. UVA pressed hard for the rest of the half and the first 30 minutes of the second half, but looked extremely inept offensively and really did not threaten but a couple of times.

Then Freeman shoved Pope to get a dead ball and restart. Pope went flying and the play continued. Pope then proceeded to run up behind Freeman and kick him very hard in front of the ref, Rennie and the Duke Bench. He was sent off and the nine man Duke bunkered and held their 18.

Freeman served a few beautiful balls that were not connected well. Nico also created some chances, but to no avail. Christman hits a beautiful flying sideways volley that the Duke keeper hits, and has to swat again to keep from going in. Finally, with under 5 to go, Freeman serves up a beauty to Hartman (who came in for Simo with a few minutes left in the half- SIDE: Simo is still hurt and not recovered- so it seemed) who headed into a open net after the Duke keeper miscued.

Two minutes later, Nico dribbles through four Dukies, into the box, and is knocked down for an easy call. Freeman hits pk- OT.

Two minutes into OT, Freeman serves up his nation leading 16 or 17 assist and Littlefield soars over Duke Defense and heads well into the net. 3-2 UVA.

Entertaining game, if not a lot of quality soccer. But some good moments, and if you are a UVA fan, which I am, it was good to get this type of win. George has done well getting some fighters on the team to compliment his handful of talented players.
    Rennie should have won this game were it not for immaturity of his players, notably Pope.

8. CASL

CASL New Member

Sep 29, 2004

Are you so insecure about UNC that you need to continue to call Duke a “cupcake”? This game was between UVA and Duke, not UNC/UVA and Duke. I don’t see any Dukies bragging on this board, even when they were ranked #1. Why don’t you worry about your own team rather then bashing Duke 24/7? Is Duke truly a “cupcake”, they did beat UNC and they held off UVA for almost the entire game with a 2-0 lead. Unfortunately, stupid mistakes and fouls put them in a bad position. UVA took advantage of these mistakes but that was the only way they were able to win.

There are no dominating teams in the ACC this year. I’ve seen every ACC team play, with the exception of Wake, and the ACC tournament will be very exciting from top to bottom. Only the team holding the ACC trophy will have bragging rights.

Back to Duke though, they are a very young team and with every win and loss they grow. You can take your “cupcake” s$%t and shove it. We’ll see you at the ACCs.

9. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000

I think we've all heard enough negativity, UVA and Duke are obviously top ten teams this season and to call them anything else is simply showing some other agenda or bias. UVA won the ACC Tourny last year and picked up where they left off this season and Duke is young, BIG, deep and talented. Those are the facts and we can stop calling Duke cupcakes because they have now proven themselves as the schedule has picked up.

Note: of all the teams in the ACC, I like these two teams the least but fair is fair.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

Objectivity on bigsoccer? Dude, you could get some negative rep for that!

11. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

PAY ATTENTION DUKIE FANS

FIRST......I never said Duke was a CUPCAKE......however it was discussed in deapth that the Duke's CUPCAKE schedule was one of the easiest of all top 50 teams......UNC by the way is 2nd most difficult in top 50....

Duke should be embarrassed for their schedule and UVA is not far behind

SECOND......I was at the Duke / UNC game and UNC deserved the win .......that was even agreed by some Duke fans .....but UNC being an average side has lost 5 games by one goal.....all ranked teams BTW at game time.....

HOW MANY RANKED SIDES HAS dukie BEAT.......that is where it counts nobody cares if you are 13-0 against Dukies CUPCAKE schedule and it shows now that Dukies is playing the ACC schedule......you do not improve playing inferior opponents if you are 12 years old or 21 years old.....dont schedule CUPCAKES to have a winning record......

I have joke about........ to get a rise from the UNC rivals but the above paragraph is serious....

Why would a great program with the tradition of Duke schedule that many small programs...it is stupid and a rip off for the Duke players and fans.....

Would you perfer to watch Duke vs those small programs or Duke vs ranked Penn St. or Ohio St....be honest

UNC is like Duke young and are struggling for wins but when the UNC players look back at their careers ....they will say my freshman year we played a non conf schedule of Penn St, Ohio St., UNCG, Old Dominion, FIU and VCU all ranked at game.........And some CUPCAKES mixed in Elon, UNC Ashville.....but not a schedule full........CUPCAKES

The truth is I am a ACC fan and pull for all ACC sides AGAINST NON CONF but I would not want to go to a 10-0 .....D3 game.....and neither do you guys.....be honest

12. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

btw little ole average UNC beat UNC ST. ......2-0

We have not lost to an unranked side this year and might be the sleeper if we can sneak into the tourney.........dont forget UVA record coming into the ACC tourney last year.....

or maybe UNC should schedule 13 .....CUPCAKES ....for 2005

13. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

Didn't see the game, but my friend who is a big UVA homer even said that the PK was set up by a ridiculous dive, although he didn't mind much.

14. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

Pay attention Duke fans

UNC ....3-2-0 in the ACC

Duke....3-3-0

See you Nov. 10-13

does not pay to play the CUPCAKE schedule

15. subbuteo

subbuteo New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm quite pleased by this victory for UVa. A year or two ago they would have folded after the first goal and never had the commitment or thinking they could come back.

GG has changed his recruiting tactics, and I think they will pay dividends as one, two or three recruiting classes can have the time to gel over a couple years instead of falling victim to project 40.

16. CASL

CASL New Member

Sep 29, 2004

Was it not your original post title : "UVA vs. cupcake (Duke)". To me that is calling Duke a "cupcake". I will not stoop low enough to your level to degrade UNC or other schools for that matter.

17. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

My mistake in the title.......UVA vs CUPCAKE killer ...Duke

I assumed reader looked at other threads.....We had a big discussion earlier whether it was better to schedule tough like UNC and Wake and suffer loses or CUPCAKE schedule like Duke and to lesser degree UVA and Clemson and run up the wins......

We will see what the NCAA tourney thinks......Assuming Duke nor UNC wins ACC....will the at large invites go to the big winner against little fish Duke or too many loses against ranked sides UNC......

Personally I have only been a UNC fan for one year....so not a die hard like you guys......I think strength of schedule is everthing.....and I think Wake is the best ACC team....

18. big bonnie

big bonnie New Member

Jul 13, 2002

Now this guy is a standup comic as well as an expert at college soccer. Which Duke fans did you talk to that thought UNC deserved that win?! And that chronic really got you thinkin sideways if you yourself thought UNC should have been the victor against Duke. And why do you continue to bring up Duke's schedule? Does it keep you up at nights, leaving you tossing and turning? Everyone knows they're out of conference schedule is soft but why kill yourself the entire season against heavy weights only to tire yourself out at the end of the season, especially when you've got such a young and inexperienced side? How much is a plane ticket back to the UK, I've got a southwest airlines voucher and I'll pay the difference for the ticket.

19. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004

Soccer is expensive for a private school. Duke basically said we're playing all nonconference games at home. It's easier on the players academically and saves money. May not be better for improving the team, but Duke's going through a rebuilding phase now anyway. Duke football can't cover other sport expenses like at other schools. Basketball keeps much of its own.

Did I read on another thread a claim that UNC is unbeaten vs. ranked teams?

20. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

EXCELLENT THIS IS WHAT I MISS .....JUST LIKE TALKING TO A MAN U SUPPORTER

Dont forget we had a bet .........winner at the break....wears the opponent's gear for the 2nd half.....Picture that Big Bonnie wearing CAROLINA BLUE.....too bad the match was not called for weather at the break....maybe I got my facts wrong maybe the Duke supporters said UNC won the 1st half.......

BB dont let the Duke boys drop the out of conf match and make us look bad......now you Duke supporter have a little symp for the two 2-0 leads UNC gave away in the last 20 minutes......

21. ukforunc86

ukforunc86 New Member

Sep 16, 2004
    London / Chapel Hill

Yes

all loses were against ranked opponents at game time......

Bullocks....Wake is private and has the #1 toughest schedule

22. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts

No, really?

If you want to talk about UNC, you should do it on a UNC thread, not a UVA-Duke one.

Since I broke my hand and was unable to drive to the game, which many of you probably know is the MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF THE YEAR for me, I came here looking for people actually talking about it, rather than people bragging about beating NC State. Let's try to stay on topic here.

I got my text message last nite and held my breath before I checked it. Then I went to Virginiasports.com and read about it, sounds like I missed a good one. I've actually missed a lot of the UVA games this year with my two jobs and classwork, this is the first time since I was 17 I haven't had season tickets. But some of it is "I'm not gonna take off work to watch us beat Longwood/Davidson/whoever."

However I do plan on going to the Maryland game, work or not. Assuming no freak accidents ruin it.

Now I have to go watch the Red Sox. Let's try to be mature though guys, seriously. Make a UNC thread if you want to talk about UNC.

23. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts

Also new or not, try to remember your [R]s.

24. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA

I'll be at that one too, should be a good one.

Hope your hand feels better.

25. Courtney

Courtney Member

May 14, 2000
    Massachusetts

Thanks, I'm just hoping it will be a good enough excuse for not having my Finance done. Better than the "Sorry, when I get home from work I only have time to watch baseball" route, especially with my Yankees fan prof.

Martino can "move over" to my place. ;)