Utah Royals 2020 - And * Poof * They're Gone

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by KendaReal, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The erosion of this legacy for DLH has to sting, because there was nothing about the acquisition of the dying Kansas City NWSL franchise and elevation of it here on some sort of par with RSL instead of the Monarchs that had to be done or even made sense from a business perspective. DLH was the toast of women's soccer in the USA (providing apartments and cars, top-notch locker facilities, flying families in for games, etc.), and even more so after the NWSL tournament went off successfully.

To have this sexist attitude and commentary come out seems more, I don't know, painful than the rest. The rest is affiliated with sort of "core" business propositions (at least for a developer working on/with an MLS franchise) but the Royals are sort of outside that to some extent. Blowing that legacy has to sting.

2. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    His reputation across the board is going to get incredibly damaged for the moment but he has the money to pay people to help mitigate much of the damage over time.

With what has come out about his sexism and misogyny the NWSL support gives me a little pause that there could be more damaging stories and actions yet to be revealed. I hope that is not the case but considering what has already come out and how quickly Dell Loy agreed to sell the really terrible stories are yet to surface I would imagine.

I hope that's not the case and I am just reading way to much into what could be possible. Creepy old me do creepy things.

BalanceUT repped this.
  3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Instead of buying a strip club he went about getting his look at females by buying a women's soccer team. I mean, that's just dumb from a business perspective.

joking aside, it really is confusing for a guy that was ALL about promoting the women's game to be so anti-women

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goobx1 repped this.
  5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you mean she'll return in time for the Royals to move her to the new LA team.

goobx1 repped this.
  6. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or she’ll force the move just like she did to come to the Royals.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and this club will deserve nothing less given the DLH/Andy Carroll bullshit

8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RSLer and jessyca repped this.
  10. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a consolation - a small one, but a consolation - that whatever sexist attitudes and actions and comments Harrington made were apparently not directed at the players. You'd think that sort of behavior would have been flagged long since if it was player-related.

But what an utter shit show the past year-plus has been in Utah Soccer-land.

11. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how long ago the comments were made. If they were recent, then his anti-sexism tweet on 9/3/20 aged as well as milk does.

1301713911511621632 is not a valid tweet id

RSLer repped this.
  12. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't seem to matter anymore. If you ever said anything bad ever you go straight to social prison now.

13. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, you shouldn't say racist/sexist things ever

SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    He’s only been with the team for a year.

15. KendaReal

KendaReal Member+

May 3, 2010
    Taylorsville, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't hear about it happening during his time here but if that's the case then fine.

16. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    It's official! Harrington out.

There are details of him making some comments along g with Andy Carroll.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If RSL doesn't go get her to replace Freddy, I'd love to see Jill Ellis for this role. She's over qualified

goobx1 repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    rslfanboy repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems to be widely accepted that DC will go with a MLS known entity. Top rumor is Chris Armas. He's not a terrible option. not a great one, IMO.

It would do a lot to rebuild this club's image to have Ellis involved in some capacity. Be that RSL or Royals head coach

jessyca, Ismitje and goobx1 repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one is expected - has been since summer but we were asking too much in return. O'Hara is a fabulous player but given how infrequently she has played for the Royals, it's not a huge loss - though ending up with * zero * USNT players after having Sauerbrunn, Press, and O'Hara is at least a problem of perception.

The thing in this trade I am disappointed with is the rider that we only get the first round pick if O'Hara appears in half of Washington's games. With the Olympics and then the Nike Victory Tour-thing they've done every other time, she'll miss much of the season no matter if she's healthy the times she is there in DC. So the first rounder seems like an empty part of the trade.

SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last season when this trade was proposed the rumor was the Royals wanted Hatch. To go from that as a bargaining chip to just accepting 75K in funny money is quite the concession.

honest question: How many think the top end talent of this league, especially the USWNT players, will come back from Europe? After being exposed to legitimate training facilities, matches, etc. and not to mention a culture that values the sport a hell of a lot more than ours... not sure why these players would want to come back to a league that feels like it's one step away from folding all the time

23. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strategy to get back at the soccer federation?

24. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's sad to think that the top national team in the world has such a pathetic domestic league. makes you wonder if the 2019 world cup was possibly the last one for awhile

25. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched our game against world number 2 Netherlands last week; the Dutch didn't even get a shot off until about the 85th minute. And we looked better on offense than we have, as the new coach is employing people better and freeing the offense up. I was impressed. We looked damn good.

RSLer, rslfanboy and goobx1 repped this.