PBP: USWNT WWC '11 Final Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I just read the Twittantrums from Solo and Lloyd (no surprises). Gotta say I will only be rooting for players who appreciate their fans and their not so "amateur" opinions. So much for choosing a team with "positive" attitudes. I'm glad Abby, Shannon, Christie, all other players who can keep their mouths shut in public and not alienate desperately needed fans, are far more mature to make this major mistake.

I hinted in the WPS form yesterday that it would be long before the terrible twos would throw another Twittantrum.

2. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If they screw up, especially after today's "incident" I doubt there will be any mercy. I also doubt the Happy Sunnytown Ranch vibe would continue long after. *sniffs the air* I can already smell the resentment.

3. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Question. Would a failure to get out of the group be a good or a bad thing?

4. donaldball

donaldball New Member

Sep 24, 2009
    It's hard to see how that would help the WPS. And without the WPS, it's hard to see how the WNT has the potential to develop further.

5. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Mookie, u can plus 1 me on that too.
    "why do you have to watch women's soccer? UGGGHHH" "what's wrong with you" "you're waking up at what time to watch women kick a ball?"

I'm not on Tweeterworld. what was said between Lloydster and Hansolo?

I 100 percent reserve the right to make analysis of any of our national team players in any sport. We are not making personal attacks on the players, nor would I ever. I will critique their game though, heavily. I think it's safe to say every girl on the team is a quality person - sans Pia. ;-)
    I can't stand her right now and would like to verbally engage her, but I refrain.

6. Ads13

Ads13 Member

Aug 10, 2008
    I've been reading the twitter conversation between those fans and Hope Solo and Carli Lloyd. I find it a little silly that those players feel the need to acknowledge the fans (but I agree with the fans completely). To me, Solo and Lloyd's defensiveness means they actually find truth in the comments. If someone told a player who was confident in herself or her teammates that they better put up or shut up, she'd laugh it off and move on, not have a twitter battle. I hope they realize that criticizing players for their performance or coaches for their coaching isn't the same thing as criticizing someone's character.

Let's hope instead of engaging fans on twitter, Lloyd or Solo runs back and tells Pia about the criticisms of this team, and Pia has an epiphany.

Also, can someone tell me why mainstream sports media who cover women's soccer don't write about the things we notice? Is there some unwritten rule that the US team can't be criticized? I find it hard to believe that soccer journalists haven't noticed the same problems all of us notice game in and game out. Aside from Kate Markgraf and Tony Dicicco, I can't think of many people I've heard outside BS comment on this team's shortcomings.

7. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    haven't we been asking, even begging for non cookie cutter players?

and for hope solo type twitter responses?

my opinion:
    this team (except for loyden) is exactly the team i thought would be picked.

i couldn't see how ohara could make the team. she's not better than hao, heath, or rapinoe, and she can't fit into any other position.

i couldn't see how averbuch (admirable dedication from her) could make the team. she's not better than lloyd or lindsey, and she is not a dmid or a wide mid. again, just my o.

otoh, i'd have tried out other people who i have hawked on this board at right and center back, but the coaching staff see these players more than i do, and have their performance stats staring them in the face every day. if they were too old and slow i don't think they'd be on the team.

my own opinion is that the u.s. is not producing the same % of world class players like we did when we started out ahead of the world's women. so, even if this is the best "team" according to pia, i'm not sure we're good enough.

but i'm a fan, and i'm optimistic.

u! s! a!, u! s! a!, u! s! a!

coaching is always hazardous to your (reputation's) health. dicicco's coaching has looked positively pedestrian recently. his wc pronouncements may sound rather empty if he doesn't win a few games.

8. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I do recall asking for women who were not afraid to be themselves. Who liked letting the public know they do normal human things like go to the club, playing X-box, ect. I didn't ask them to but sneakers on their mouths and let it run a marathon. What are you teaching the children. "I did hit that cross coach John! You amateur!"

I don't think displacing accountabilty or getting salty when your friends are called out for especially for their 3 year absence of consistant productivity is "non cookie cutter" it's childish, fickle, and just down right sad.

This squad is going to have a HUGE chip on it's shoulder. It has to deliver for women's soccer in the States. It would really kick in how far US women's soccer may be behind compared to the rest of the world. 3 cycles and still not another cup win? A few great players who have many accomplishments except for winning a cup. They want that validation. Germany wants that unprecidented third cup (in a row at that!) and at home. Brazil has gotten so close to the top of the mountain and they're hungry to finally reach the top. Other nations are hungry to show the world what they've been doing the past 4 years.

If they do not deliver there will be a lot lost and that will not include the cup or the match. The path is not as easy this time around.

9. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Ads13, i like your post. - the press/people do wear baby gloves w/ these girls.

i just joined twitter to see what they are posting. It's kind of shocking. Very 13 year old school girl. These are the girls of character that Pia wants to lead USA to a gold? It really just shows their insecurity. All the "critics" said were comments about Lloyd losing the ball often in the midfield and the same players as 08 predictably being chosen for this WC.

This is what Lloyd last wrote, which is odd? :
    "I'm not here to play for anyone but my teammates. The real ppl know what I can bring to the table n how I play."

You're playing for America!!, not just your teammates. Is this some sort of sad sorority?

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    U.S. mainstream media only covers the WWC and Olympics. When they cover these two tournaments, they purposely stay oblivious to the truth, mostly to feed off the last remnants of the hugely successful imagery created by the WNT of the 90's.

Like everybody else, the folks behind the current WWC media agenda think it's easier to live on the lie. Easier than having to promote and deal with the reality of the current WNT program. The big paradox is that the coverage of this WWC will be the best ever, at a time when the U.S. is at it's most vulnerable. They can't hide those facts when the tournament begins.

No amount of patronising inane fluff talk can cover the obvious faults of the team if they fail to lift the trophy in 2011. So it doesn't help either that by lacking creative stars and much flair, and based on how they currently play, USA can't even win over viewers on ideological style points either. This is why certain players have now all ready begun to lash out at the slightest hint of fan criticism.

Nobody wants to see poor or negative play from a high ranking team, especially when that team can't even justify it's ugly nature with major wins. You play ugly, you better win. In a far better developed soccer America, fans and the WNT players will fully understand that logic.

Crazy thing about this 2011 side is that the pressure and expectation to not only win, but win pretty, is coming from a very deluded coach. Right now just trying to win ugly is already looking like really hard work, but the coach is adamant they do both. Players snapping at loyal fans for mentioning things related to this problem, is just a bad sign of what's possibly to come.

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Are you done weaving your conspiracy theories, yet?

You want to know what the "WWC media agenda" is? To make enough money to cover the costs. Which also happens to be the "NBA media", "NFL media", "MLS media" agendas, too.

The biggest problem is that fans of women's soccer as a spectator sport have shown time and time again that they're not interested in paying for anything. Not willing to pay for media when it covers women's soccer, and not willing to support the advertisers that do cover the freight. Heck, they (if you look at the four digit attendances at most WNT games over the last five or six years) barely show up for the actual product in person any more.

I'm a huge supporter of the women's game. During the seven years I published the ECG (2000-2006), there was women's soccer articles in pretty much every issue. I only made the mistake of putting women on the cover once. Well, I did layout a second issue with women on the cover, but that issue never got got published.

Until fans of women's soccer buying media, they're only going to get dribs and drabs - and most of that from unpaid bloggers.

I'd love to see more media analysis and coverage, too. But it doesn't come for free.

12. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    so we can call these women out when they are not being real and then call them out and criticize them again when they are real?

qft!!

13. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    It has nothing to do with whether she can prove us wrong or not.
    She can be a bad coach or good coach ... but you can not make comments like that.
    It's like saying people cheat or steal, you can not make jokes like that.

Brooklynsoccer, I read some of your posts, many of them are mediocre, but you are a cheat.

BTW, I am not really serious.

14. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence

I did see she was tweeting up a storm yesterday :D. She's never boring.

15. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Women's professional sport is a nascent market. And there is some great women's content like SheKicks (FairGame) and Our Game. Quite a step up from WSW (which was wonderful). It will be a great market and evolve in it's own time and I look forward to watching it grow.

16. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Thank you very much.

If we were to analyze this team position by position and player by player, at the end, the final team will not be all that different from what Pia has put together.

The sad fact is the US just do not have that many quality players any more.

Its a fact that the defense is slow but replacing it may not always be the better option as you might lose another vital part of the team. Its not like the US have tons and tons of fast world class defenders available.

While I think the US might find it difficult to win this world cup, I think Pia has done close to the best to assemble the best team as possible given what is available.

The problem is that the US needs to start developing more world class players if they want to see a better team.

Disclaimer: Most of the above is just the opinion from some one who have been an avid follower of the USWNT since 2003.

17. fire123

fire123 Member+

Jul 31, 2009
    I agree with this post, 90%.
    Pia said she did not pick the best players but she picked the best players that can play together, if that is true, she should have done 2 things:
    1) Since we have slow backline, add a player who may have less skill and tactical savy but more speed and hope her teammates back her up while she helps them out with her speed, eg Wilson or McNeill
    2) Our midfield has trouble holding the ball, add a player who maybe not as strong and big but with good ball handling ability, eg, Tina Dimartino.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Could it be that most folks don't think the sky is actually falling?

This board has become devoted to the collective prediction of impending disaster; the outside world doesn't see it that way. Partly the outside world
    doesn't see it that way because they don't look at it much, but mostly I think it is because the folks on this board look at it constantly and and support each other in point of view until it reaches the point of feedback-like screech. Molehills become mountains and winning ugly becomes losing.

Someplace out there is a group of fans of the Spanish men's national team who talk every day about how lucky their team was to win the world cup when thay weren't very manly, just passed the ball around a lot instead of knocking people down like the big strong admirable Dutch team they should play more like. Honest-- there is such a cluster somewhere, I promise you.

This board is a cluster here about our favorite team, and as whole it has become so devoted to the notions that we are ancient when in fact we are a bit oldish, that we are slow when its more a matter of not fast, that we score so little we'd be better off without our top scorer, that our coach makes so many wrong decisions that she must be selling us out, that x player at y position is so bad that we'd be better off taking y player from x position and converting them (unless somethng like that is tried and doesn't work immediately in which case it was stupid in the first place) that our formation is what's keeping us from controlling the midfield (although it is a formation normally chosen to increase the chances of controlling the mdfield) and so on and so forth.

I think folks here see any thing that's not going well, big or little, and construe it through their personal senses of how things should be done, and then support each other in criticisms until Chicken Little becomes God.

I have my stuff too--I wish we had just committed to Cox on the left; she's the best option. I wish I knew why Le Pielbet seems to be a turnover goddess this year. I am concerned that this team has some potential to have the same kind of health issues April's did. I wish Angeli hadn't gotten hurt. I am aware we don't control the midfield very well and think we won't no matter what the formation...

More to the point, I don't think this team is as good as the last three or four. We just don't get to have half the best players every cycle. Its a transitional team-- the next Olympic team will be much younger, of that I am sure. The following WC team will likely be of a similar average age but more uniformity and will probably be a better team overall.

But this the best team we have, and it is good enough. If you want a guarantee, get a Westinghouse. I feel reasonably confident of our prospects, see no reason to think that Brazil will be as good as their last three teams, and think Germany is not quite the Colossus folks credit them as either. I'm much more concerned about the overall strength of the field than I am about the supposed leviathans. Look out for the ones with nothing to lose.

I think the Italy series SHOULD have brought home to all of us, not how poor the US team is, but just how good the team that didn't get in is. If that wasn't enough, then the England game should have rung that bell; I said two years ago that England was my dark horse to win it all, and see no reason to change that belief.

All well and good-- but I will point out that I said on the eve of the Olympics that I was confident we would win it even without Abby, and we did. I say now that barring further injury, we CAN win the WC this time, and I look forward to watching the attempt.

If you want a guarantee, go be a Yankee fan.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying the rest of my piece about this particular incident in the rivalry forum b/c I don't want to continue to clutter this thread. In this context, I'll just say that I agree 100% with Ads13's first paragraph and here's his last sentence.
    Also, there is a difference btwn showing your personality and being hypocritical and egotistical and calling out a young fan. If they want to call out adults like Rev Fan (or me) that's one thing. Going after a young fan is another whole thing -- the power distribution is vastly different.

There is a difference, to me, between the roster being exactly who we thought Pia would pick and being the roster we think would be the best collection of players for this tournament. Yes, you are exactly right. This roster pretty much had zero surprises because of the way Pia made her camp and roster selections over the past year and a half. That is the problem. There clearly was not a situation where a player could work their way into the team through practices and WPS play.

Between 1997 and early 1999, Tisha Venturini lost her place in the top 21. She was invited to the final residency camp in the best shape of anyone and showed so well in that residency that she forced DiCicco to name her to the squad. She scored what I think were very important goals in the 1999 WWC. It seems clear now that there was not really chances for players to do that over the last six months. The sole exception seems to be Morgan.

You have a faith in the ability of the coaching staff to be open to player turnover and comfortable with bringing in new players -- a situation that is not in evidence to me. You also have a faith in the ability of the coaching staff to adjust player personnel and tactics that is not in evidence to me, either. I think this is our fundamental difference of opinion. Can you point to any evidence that Pia has learned or changed her approach or philosophy or player selection after results on the field of play exposed significant weaknesses of what she was doing?

Coaches get comfortable with the status quo just like everyone else. Older and slower players do in fact make rosters over younger, faster (better for the situation) players. There are many examples of coaches that give undue benefit of doubt to players that have been around the team despite younger players beating them in practice. A great example of this phenomena is the 1993-1994 UNC men's basketball team. Several players returned from the 1993 championship team and a couple of those players were not as good as a couple freshmen. But Dean was loyal, probably to a fault, to the older players. That team did not meet expectations for the level of talent on the roster.

If your supposition (that the US is not producing the same % of world class players) is true, then in order to progress to the knockout rounds of a tournament the coaching staff and team must figure out how to have success with lower quality players. The primary way to have success w/ lower quality players is to make sure your team is faster and younger than the opposition. Or you decide to "out possess" and go down looking "good." That's not how Pia constructed the team.

We may not be good enough to win the whole d@mn thing even with a different collection of players that are already known to us. But we'd be a better team and have a better overall result. Pia's built a team that appears worse than the sum of its parts.

Well, what he said during the Italy broadcast was pretty much right on point -- the need for younger players and more speed. He also said he thinks the US backline does better with a holding mid but that Pia doesn't like using a holding mid. What he's been able to get his own team to do (or not do) doesn't negate the truth of those statements.

She could fit as a forward. For that matter, Tarpley could fit in the forward slot. Also, on form, O'Hara has had a better year and a half than Heath. But yes, the wide midfield position does seem to be the position where there is the "best" talent on this team.

Of course Pia was not going to drop almost 31 year old Lindsey (who looked below international standard at the end of 2010) or Lloyd (who has had terrible club seasons for 2 years and, a powerful shot aside, has shown well for the USWNT for some time). This refusal to drop or try other players besides these two as a pairing w/ Boxx is the crux of the problem many fans have with Pia. Not looking for a Boxx replacement is also a major part of the problem.

I'm not arguing here for the inclusion of Averbuch or O'Hara necessarily. My point is that Pia's entire prep over the last year and a half has demonstrated that she is either unwilling change or unable to see several massive problems with this roster she's chosen -- problems that have been evident for at least a year an a half and been exposed on the field of play. There are American players that have outplayed (head to head, even) several players on this USWNT but these players are not on the team.

And yet, the same players continue to be chosen. Lloyd has played poorly in WPS and for the USWNT (even accounting for her ankle break) over the last 2 years. The defense my biggest concern has been exposed as slow, lacking the attacking backs Pia keeps saying she wants, and composed of several players with poor chemistry. But Pia keeps trying the square pegs in different round holes.

+1

The path was never easy, despite what some fans seem to think about the "early years" and the myth that the USA was so far ahead of other places in supporting women's soccer. The US wasn't the first and they weren't the best. They got their @sses kicked plenty in the first few years. And then made some adjustments.

There will be (and already has been) plenty of discussion -- especially here -- about how far behind the rest of the world the US women's soccer program is or might be. But you know what? If rosters keep being picked that accentuate the weaknesses of the players then there can't really be a "good" test of that hypothesis. A crappy roster selection is going to look even worse than the best of the rest of the world.

20. donaldball

donaldball New Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I can't agree with this analysis. The quality of the players coming out of the college system, flawed as it is, continues to improve. Where there used to be one or two players graduating with the potential to be a WNT player, now there are half a dozen or more who could make a credible case.

The WNT is failing to develop its youth, plain and simple. The starting WNT roster has no business playing and winning every friendly. It's a meaningful, tiring exercise that breeds complacency. The veterans shouldn't need the practice, particularly with the domestic league playing at a high level. Rather, the young players need to take the field and demonstrate what they can do with and for each other and their country.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Good points. I too would like to see DiMartino on the field instead of Lindsey. Are know when it comes to comparing the two its not just height because they are the same but maybe the coaches saw something different in Lindsey that DiMartino doesn't have.

22. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    You mean the same youth team that got trounced in the U-23 world cup?

I know WPS is not the standard but a lot of these supposedly good players are drafted by WPS every year and only 5-10 makes the final roster. Of those, only a handful are starters. There may be good young players but they are in no way better than the current crop and those on the team are not ancient either.

23. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    Thanks for that. I too get tired of people feefing off of each other's negativity.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with the premise that this particular 21 is the best available. I also disagree with the premise that this particular 21 is the best compilation to balance the strengths and weaknesses of each other. If "better" players were left off the roster because a "worse" player was a better compliment on the field to the core group, I wouldn't be so p!ssed at what I see as wasted opportunities.

But, to play my broken record, it appears from the team's actual on field play, that Pia's roster is worse than the sum of its parts.

I agree w/ about 90% of your post ;)

25. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    I don't know what you are looking at but DiMartino isn't in Lindsey's league, IMO. Last weekend's game was especially telling. She can run around with the ball quite well, but doesn't seem to know when to dish or gets it taken away b/c she's held too long. She could be a very good distributor but she needs some work, and that takes time. She's not ready for international duty.