PBP: USWNT WWC '11 Final Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    She is going to pick who I think she is going to pick. Be prepared for two things. Forwards who don't mesh well together. A central midfield and defense that will get gapped by speed.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't listened to the podcast. The Rampone injury was talked about a bit (but not tons) in the WPS forums.

I'm going going to read too much into pt 2. as you are. I do agree that clearly Kai is not Pia's cup of tea personality wise and that likely is the reason she never got another shot after her shoulders healed.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we've been preparing ourselves for this reality for multiple years.

Well, not exactly. I haven't stocked the alcohol that I'll need to get through the WWC yet.

4. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    What reality? There might be a chance that they won't make it out of the group.;)

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, Blaze: Your girl Solo is on twitter again. Says Lloyd carries the team on her back. And calling out a fan that thinks Lloyd needs to step up and prove people wrong.

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we're basically watching the 2008 Olympic team, only three years older. Out of the 18 players on that team, 13 made the 2011 World Cup team, three have retired (Hucles, Wagner, and Markgraf), one has not been cleared to play (Chalupny), and then there's persona non grata (Kai). And that doesn't even count Wambach, who didn't even get to play in that Olympics.

I just cannot see this team winning it in my wildest imagination (well maybe in my very wildest imagination). Can this team play well? Yes, they can even play very well on occasion. Is this team capable of beating any team on a given day? I believe they can. Can this team put together five or six solid games to beat the world's best and win it all? I don't think there is much chance of that.

There's just too many question marks. The defense's speed, the age of the team, Wambach's health, now Rampone's health. The situation at outside back has never been adequately addressed.

Regarding Lloyd, she has scored seven goals in her last 14 games for the USWNT. Her game does seem to pick up a bit when playing for the national team. But then, she plays more minutes than anyone else, too.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the astonishing double standard that Solo seems to be employing that is mind boggling to me right now.

But I'm way out in tangent land...off to rivalry w/ me...

8. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    ahaha, kool - agreed and finally i'll have an excuse to drink at 6 am.

also, about the above. i love hope!! she makes the team a bit more interesting.
    But did Hope really say "The fan" - singular? I'm afraid it's been more than 1 person Hope. Or one commentator for that matter.

9. WiminzSoccerRocks

Jun 15, 2009
    MA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that Pia made a point of saying everybody is healthy in her US Soccer press release. If Rampone's groin injury is bad, we're screwed in the back totally. LePeilbet has never gotten back to top form. Cox is incapable on making any pass other than a big ball toward the goal; it's painful watching her play with the Breakers. For that matter, it was painful watching the whole Breakers team last night. Give me Angela and Lil anyday...Oops sorry, wrong forum.

So who wins the whole shebang- Germany or Brazil?

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to derail this thread further. Rivalry is the better place for our discussion. I'll just say here that @hopesolo directed her comment about "be a fan or not. if you're a fan you support the starting mid" to one particular fan/twitter follower.

11. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    yeah, as amusingly deluded as she always is, she might also want to consider taking a course in reading comprehension. (and also in statistics) Definitely not just one single fan...

This. Is hilarious, yet sad and true. It's not a Miss Congeniality contest, Pia. Any good coach will learn how to deal with different personality types.

12. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dare say a probability. And a merciful one, considering that Brazil would await if we managed to steal second place in the group somehow.

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if German fans remember their 1-4 defeat in 2008 quite the same way some US fans remember the 0-4 defeat in 2007.

14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. The World Cup is a much higher priority to them than the Olympics (from what I've heard)

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need a tongue in cheek emoticon...

A devil's horns one would suffice...

16. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops, sparky here is sometimes slow on the uptake.

Meanwhile I found this amusing reader comment on ESPN:

17. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    They wonder why they are not held in the same light as the men. Fans real fans who have their hearts invested in thse teams, are honest and true enough to call out players to their faces, and the players get pissy. Same sort of thing happened to me last week. I must have not been too far off the mark because that player did not start this weekend. In short Grow up ladies.

Also as the old adage goes "Don't let your mouth write checks your ass can't cash." Talking is ok for now, but you haven't proven anything and those send off friendlies don't mean **** in the grand scheme of things. Good luck!

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not all the men take fan criticism in stride. But I totally get what you're saying and agree that Solo (and others*) need to learn to grow a thicker skin and handle critics better.

* good call on your part about that WPS player, too. well done. not that she scored this weekend, either

19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Generally intelligent comments at ESPN. Similar skepticism towards the team (probably because of some of you have been over there). Several pro-Solo comments. A handful of pro-Tasha Kai comments. Several pro-Morgan comments. Some complaints about ESPN "homerism" and Julie Foudy.

Some of you will like this response to one of Abby's comments on the show this morning.

20. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :confused: If we're calling 'em out, call 'em out. Or are we calling 'em out anonymously?!!!

Well, never mind if you'd ruther I'd never mind but it just left me confused...

21. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I mean, between the ESPN footage and the podcast on ussoccer homepage - If i was to hear Abby, Pia or Hao say the words "overcoming adversity" one more time I'd shut it down. shut. it. down.
    for good.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't a USWNT player so not really suitable for this thread. Check the old WPS threads. But the player, um, grumpiness about it was on twitter.

23. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If you use your font or have a "well known" username and are speaking not to put down, but to state truth of one's performance of performances. I consider it a proper call out. Also if you directly tag the player you're calling out if one is doing so on Twitter

**Thanks Kool! :)

We're fans we have a lot of our time invested in this thing too! Lost sleep, travel, money, strained relationships ("Why do we have to watch women's soccer? Uggg.") If I can still support you after you sent the reason why I even started following this team and still support you, you can take constructive criticism.

As far as the interviews go get used to hearing the word adversity. The PR wheels are turning, plus if they have any doubts it wouldn't be the time nor the place to display them.

I look forward to watching many of the best women's players play and hearing Foudy's mouth. I think it will be VERY entertaining.

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1

Right. And what else are they supposed to say about getting beat by Mexico? "Our coach made some stupid decisions/plans and we played like crap?" I think they've said they didn't play well so...

Foudy entertains me. If we're doubly lucky DiCicco does some studio time and holds no prisoners in his comments like during the first Italy game :D

25. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Will there be serious critique of the U.S. games? I have the impression everybody is scared to criticise the girls when things look really obviously bad.