PBP: USWNT WWC '11 Final Roster

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least she isn't going to play, which isn't a thought I can comfort myself with for the rest of the squad.

2. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    I have no clue about the politics involved. Since it is unlikely that the 3rd keeper plays, the choice is probably made for reasons not immediately tangible, i.e., not just about quality of goalkeeping. For instance, do you give a young keeper the experience? Do you take the one who can be a good source of info. if it comes to penalties? Chemistry? Glad I didn't have to decide.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Did I not tell you guys Heather Mitts will make this roster?
    If she stayed major injury free there was no doubt in my mind.

4. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Predictable and safe choices (in Pia's mind). Absolutely no surprises. The U.S. was too slow to handle Brazil last time around, and are even less prepared to do so now.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I thought the 3rd keeper choice of Loyden vs Harris was about the easiest "non-immediately obvious" choice among the players in the final camp. Harris. Clearly Pia and I don't see the same things. Or don't care about the same things.

6. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    I think the only tiny smidgen of unpredictability in terms of starters will be the backline. If Sundhage insists of getting LePeilbet onto the field no matter what, for instance. I also think the Mitts/Krieger competition is pretty close.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But she did not stay major injury free. A torn hamstring is a d@mn major injury for someone both her age and at her position.

I know we're never going to agree on Mitts. But she is going to get roasted this summer. Or injured. Or both. She is my candidate for the Agoos 2002 prize.

8. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    kool-aide, I assumed Harris as well simply because of who had been making rosters.

9. Focker

Focker Member

Oct 29, 2010
    This has been given for months

Pia starters will be

F Abby
    F Arod
    M O'reilly
    M Boxx
    M Lloyd
    M Rapinoe
    D Cox
    D Bueler
    D Rampone
    D ?

10. WHUI

WHUI New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    I guessed all, expect Harris for Loyden. Seems I have a similar mind with Pia.;)

Hope those not on the list won't feel too bad, but be good reserves.

11. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, we're too slow to handle a bunch of teams not named Brazil.

Now, that 1991 team average age was skewed WAY too young for today's modern game by the inclusion of a 19 yr old Mia Hamm, and 20 yr old Lilly & Foudy.

eta1: The only field players 30 or older on any of the first 3 USWNT WWC squads were Akers, Chastain, and Fawcett in 1999. Harvey (30) in 1995 was the first >29 on a roster. And even w/ 2003's team w/ 7 30+ folks, age wasn't the biggest issue for that team (tactics & substitution patterns -- ie coaching).

eta2: I was surprised by the info I just learned & typed as eta1.

12. mingyung

mingyung Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Actually, Cox has not been a consistent starter for Sundhage. The only reason Cox starts is if there is an injury pretty much. If LePeilbet didn't get injured and disrupt the central pairing, Buehler might well still be on the outside. In the last game, LePeilbet started on the outside. For a while, Schnur was starting over Cox.

I have a sneaky suspicion that Sundhage is determined in the next few weeks to convert LePeilbet into a left back . . .

13. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I am thinking this is so early to name the squad compared to the FIFA deadline which is early June I think. Teams also have to submit a preliminary 30 players squad around the 18th of May as well, so the 9 unlucky reserves will be known on the day.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. But then again, we all know Pia isn't going to change her mind as she hasn't changed her mind about the bulk of the squad over the last year and half despite a lot of evidence that some change was needed.

eta: I need to add something positive.

I was happy to see Tarpley make the squad. She gets goals.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, here was the 2008 Olympic roster.

Hope Solo
    Nicole Barnhart

Heather Mitts
    Christie Rampone (C)
    Rachel Buehler
    Stephanie Cox
    Kate Markgraf
    Lori Chalupny

Lindsay Tarpley
    Shannon Boxx
    Heather O'Reilly
    Aly Wagner
    Carli Lloyd
    Tobin Heath
    Angela Hucles
    Forwards
    Natasha Kai
    Amy Rodriguez
    Lauren Cheney

Basically, it is the same except for 3 players that retired, one head injury victim, and one Natasha Kai. So, really, Pia's done next to nothing in 2 years. She added one more +30 (Lindsey), Rapinoe, LePeilbet (who tore her ACL in 2006 and sat out all of 2007), Krieger, and Morgan. But really didn't address the glaring issues that needed addressing.

Oh. And Loyden. :rolleyes:

16. wokeupfuzzy

wokeupfuzzy Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Yeah, Loyden was the only one I hadn't guessed correctly - maybe Pia dug her Jesus shirt. :rolleyes: Also, O'hara looked out of it during the game last night, and we knew she never got many minutes from Pia.

Mentally preparing myself for a TRAIN WRECK this year just in case. Really going to have to lower my standards for this one if I want to stay sane.

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    My god, I thought all those dooms day WPS threads were depressing but I think this thread takes the cake

19. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sauerbrunn, too.

It is striking that the average age of the new players is hardly lower than the average age of the whole team.

player and age by end of World Cup
    Lindsey 31
    LePeilbet 29
    Krieger 27
    Sauerbrunn 26
    Rapinoe 26
    Loyden 26
    Morgan 22

That's an average of 26.6 years old.

20. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, are you excited about the roster? Please, give me something beyond Tarpley making the team to get excited about. No, really. Please give me some positive thoughts.

All I can see at the moment is the glacial speed of the backline and a Boxx-Lloyd pairing that hasn't worked that well for 4 years.

eta: Thanks, usa3por2ft, I knew I'd forgotten someone.

21. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Two words, Hope Solo :D:p

22. vsnaipaul

vsnaipaul New Member

Jul 26, 2010
    This means there has been no player development!

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    link to feed for live chat that will happen shortly.

If you can submit questions, I dare (double dog dare) someone to ask/post a question asking what tactics/strategy the team hopes to use against faster teams.

eta: chat live now.

24. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby: "I think if you look at our backline, other countries know they'll have difficulty with us"

Marta: -laughing-