USWNT vs. U-17 USMNT

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Namdynamo, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    Considering it was an "average" club team two years younger then what you stated, not sure record would be so good.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  2. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    You presented one data point. That they lost to one u15 club. How many other boys clubs teams have they played over the last year, and what was their record against them? Stating that they lost another game, that could be 1 out of 15 wins doesn't change my comment. If you said, they have played 10 times and lost 9 times, then I would change it.

However you are focusing on the wrong part of my message. Do you disagree with the value in the USWNT playing against young men's teams?

3. Germans4Allies4

Jan 9, 2010
    I totally agree with the value. I just think we have to go much younger then U17 for WNT to fare well v boys. The Full, U23, U20 teams have all played young boys teams during camps for many years with the same outcome.

But, the results don't bother me the least bit.....the speed of play factor is great for the women. However, I get a kick out of others who are shocked and in disbelief when they see these results, like we're making up these matches.

4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    It's common knowledge that every global elite, and not so elite women's side, at some point in time will go up against quality male youth teams for various training reasons, with the end result of the full size field encounters always ending in favour of the typically bigger and quicker boys.

The advantages and merits of size, power, and pace, versus technique, skill, and tactics, remain old discussed to death topics of football, but those same topics now have a ever increasing obvious correlation to the future success of the best teams within the women's game too.

For a team like the U.S. women, which is used to dominating female opposition physically when outmaneuvered in other departments of the game, playing against a team of athletically superior young men forces them to play smarter, without the safety net of make up speed or size, to bail them out of bad situations caused through the sloppy mistakes of any poor fundamentals.

5. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Does anyone else find it creepy that 30 year old women are playing against 14 year old boys (under 15) ???

Some of those young teenage boys are fantasizing about those women in their dreams before and after playing against them.

I just don't think this is right.

6. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    They are athletes, playing a game that they enjoy and dedicate much of their lives too. All they are thinking about is playing and trying to win the game.

7. newsouth jr

newsouth jr Member

Mar 1, 2012
    No, you're reading too much into it and making something out of nothing. Is it creepy that a high school boy is taught by a 30 year old woman or has a 30 year old woman as a physician? It's a match and is viewed as such.

Tom Collingsworth, TsovLoj and scaryice repped this.
  8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Some of these 14 year olds might still be in the 8th grade, and not in high school yet.

Heck, some of them are still sleeping with their Smokey the Bear stuffed animal.

Am I looking into it too much? Yeah, sure.

But it's still strange.

Maybe they should scrimmage against lesser talented men's club teams their own age. Men who weren't good enough to play in college, but still play club ball.

"Put out forest fires everyone"
    [​IMG]

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WPS_Movement, you are seriously reducing your credibility. It's simply an athletic competition.

10. newsouth jr

newsouth jr Member

Mar 1, 2012
    I surely hope it's purely an athletic competition. If the U17 boys' main objective was to cop a feel on Solo and still managed to put eight into the net, that's pretty sad for the USWNT.

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The movement of WPS has already lost all its credibility.
    So I have nothing to lose right now.

12. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good one!

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Earlier today, the 91ers (led by Kristine Lilly and Mia Hamm) played against the Newport Beach U10 boys team. The D'Feeters were led by 9 year Brody Brady. Brady is thought to be a future varsity high school player one day, in about 8 years from now.

The 91ers had their way with the shorter D'Feeters for much of the match, despite the lack of scoring from both sides. Joy Fawcett had a nice pass on the counter attack that Tiffeny Milbrett botched with what seemed like an open net. It was a golden scoring chance, and Milbrett said she'd be seeing that open goal in her nightmares for years during her post-game interview with sideline reporter April Heinrichs after the match in the locker room. The match was played at Newport Fairgrounds Campsite, which only has one locker room. The 91ers said they didn't feel awkward sharing the locker room with the D'Feeters before and after the match. After the match, the two teams shared ghost stories and roasted marshmallows along the campsite, until 10:00 pm. Brandi Chastain agreed to the Brady residents afterwards that she could babysit Brody next Saturday night, for a fee of $6.00 per hour, plus money for pizza delivery.

To summarize the game, the match ended in a 0-0 draw.
    The 91ers had 46 shots on goal, and the D'Feeters had 1 shot on goal, which came from the opening kickoff. They almost caught the 91ers off guard, but Briana Scurry was there in net to protect what could have been the only goal of the match for either side. After the match, Scurry was told they would build a monument of her in her hometown for the save. The ball was struck by 8 year old Collie Conklin, who put enough velocity on the ball that it traveled at a speed of 23 miles per hour in the air until it landed on frame in Scurry's arms.

The match did not go to penalty kicks at the end.
    The D'Feeters were simply too out of breath to be able to take their penalties. In addition, the 91ers also looked to be out of breath. Mia Hamm was huffing and puffing after the match, as you could tell she is not in the best shape she has ever been in. All the players looked refreshed a couple hours later at the campsite when they were roasting marshmallows. Kristine Lilly said that the graham cracker is her favorite part of the S'mores experience.

The two teams had some leftovers that they took indoors.

[​IMG]

UH60Blackhawk repped this.
  14. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Actually the difference between the U17's (or younger but very athletic boys teams) and the WNT is pretty much speed and size. The WNT players are generally more technical, but they get exposed when the U17's (for instance) can play over the top of the backline. The scoreline says to me that the WNT was able to possess the ball fairly well, which of course, created lot of room for the U17's to play into and outrun the women when they DID create a turnover.

And WPS, it's not creepy. Actually, it's a good experience for the boys and older women. The women get some training against bigger and faster opponents (hard to find locally when you're the senior nats), and the boys get the reality of these women as athletes in a way that you can't get just talking about it. We did this in college and it was incredibly positive (although plenty of people, including me, were concerned before we did it) - and obviously it's not going to be positive if it's just a free for all . . .

15. onfirst

onfirst Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Really? You got that level of game detail from the scoreline?

16. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    That and watching these kinds of games, yeah. If the USWNT was pushed back in their own end, they could've clogged things up and kept the score down . . .

17. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    When was the last time the USWNT possess the ball well against anyone but the minnows?

You think the USWNT is more technical than these U-17 US boys. Have you ever seen these guys play? I have. They out-possessed and ran circles around the Brazilian U-17 to a scoreline of 3-1, they out possessed both France and Turkey U-17 to a 2-2 and 2-1 scoreline.

The technical ability and the athleticism between the USWNT and this US U-17 is not even close. Pia wanted to bite off more than she can chew and that got her team slaughtered. She should have stuck with the U-15 local boys.

18. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Pretty unflattering result for the boys. The women should have rarely even touched ball.

19. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Umm...Coach! Can I man mark Alex Morgan the whole game? She looks.. you know.. very, very.... dangerous! I think I can do a great job against her.

Coach: No.... you're a forward.

20. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Not bad, in my head though it went like this:

Coach: No.... you're a GOALKEEPER.... and put it back in your pants man!

21. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow, you guys are crazy over these women. Just about any U17 national team would crush the USWNT. it's no different than a national championship high school basketball team of 10th - 12th graders playing an all-star WNBA team. geez, all the boys on those teams can dunk and have damn near college athleticism, even the 5'9" ones.

you really think the uswnt team could handle namar or dos santos when they were 17.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNsjZXPhb_k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNsjZXPhb_k[/ame]

22. cweimers

cweimers Member+

Mar 5, 2010
    DC
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump ;)

23. coracaodoporto

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Maybe the feminists writing articles bashing the mens team for not winning a world cup or being flat out misandrists should take a look at the usqnt vs u17 boys to see that in reality women and men are not equal in sport....by a long shot.

JJV1994 repped this.
  24. cpthomas

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With your definition of "equal, " duh ...! The US women, as women, are better than the US men, as men. That is obvious. In fact, they're vastly better.

25. UH60Blackhawk

UH60Blackhawk Member

Oct 5, 2013
    About the latest I've seen a girls club hold even with comparable boy's clubs was U-13. This was my daughter's club team that had dominated league play for years and the coach decided to give it a go in the boy's league for a year. The girls had hit puberty and were often taller and heavier than the opposition, but the boy's were usually much faster. Even then the girls lost most of the games and it was a one year thing. By the following year most of the boy's had caught up and while they sometimes scrimmaged a boy's team it was never close.
    I've seen better woman's teams scrimmage boys. I've heard some D1 woman basketball programs even have practice squads made up of boys. In almost every case, however, the girls lose. Sometimes they look good and fight hard, but Mother Nature is tough to overcome.