USWNT vs South Korea in October 2021

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Oct 13, 2021.

1. West Ender

West Ender Member

Dec 28, 2020
    Southwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a fair observation

JanBalk and kolabear repped this.
  2. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
    #152 WoSoFan, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Actually with this midfield and the moving up of Horan and with Sullivan replacing her at number 6 along with Macario at the other midfield spot, they maintained better control of the midfield then we saw in the first game and even in the 2nd half of this game we saw SK was able to push up a lot more.

I think if he let’s this midfield work together more as a unit, they will improve even more in their connecting of their passes especially in the final 3rd of an attack which will lead to more scoring.

jnielsen, dams, West Ender and 1 other person repped this.
  3. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Good point, a very good use for great players that no longer have the full stamina needed is as supersubs. To come in and destroy the oppositon when they have been soften upp and are tired.

jnielsen repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    good points, but remember Kim Little usual was handed the NWSL mvp trophy even though most her goals came from PK’s(and she proved to be nothing real special for either Arsenal or the Scottish NT

that the USWNT stars & internationals come & go as they please, is why I usually stop watching NWSL games around mid season; teams like the Thorns looked more exciting when their golden oldies are gone, but then tune in for next game, and back they are, leaving the previous good players on the bench with no or little playing time.

it don’t help with team chemistry either, probably why Lavelle has such horrid NWSL stats(1 goal in 30 shots/0 assists)

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Main reason that I rarely follow it, same but the other way around is why I do not care much for the Ice hockey World Championship (men).
    When who wins a League is mainly decided by who loses most to international play or when who wins the World Championship is decided by who gets most and best players back from NHL it do not feel very meaningful to me.

6. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [QUOTE="hotjam2, post: 40024668, member: 217309"It sort of an retirement tour(Carli Lloyd plus hinting maybe Pinoe?). In the first half everything seemed to be set up for Pinoe. Then noticed; every final cross to Lloyd in the 2nd half, even though SK had the penalty area pretty much covered(the outside shot was there for the taking but nobody took it as per instructed to get the ball to Lloyd).
    But for Vlatko haters, the tie is exactly what happened the last time these two teams met; two years ago right after the USWNT won the WC & still coached by Jill Ellis.[/QUOTE]
    I think the nat team under Ellis succeed in spite of Ellis, not because of her. We were on our way out of the WC when Injury forced Ellis to change what she was doing and the result was Lloyd carried the team on her back to the podium so lets not act like Ellis was some great coach. She wasnt.
    We can only hope "Pinoe" retires though I think she will have to get an "Abby" to make that happen. She looks good in short bursts and when she doesnt have to play any defense. Beyond that, I was thinking as I watched them singing the National Anthem and it appeared Lloyd was crying, then the camera flashed to Pinoe who had a look of disgust on her face. Which one do I want representing the USA? Easy choice. So we have a case here of declining fitness and a rotten attitude. I think its time to move on and I for one will not be sad to see that happen. It should be and HONOR to wear that jersey... If you do not think so, go elsewhere. We do not see this crap on the Men's team. Even those that are not really American by birth are respectful. Pugh or Macario are both better choices at this point

7. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Done first by Mia Hamm BTW

jnielsen and West Ender repped this.
  8. Disapproving Hippo

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 17, 2021
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is quite unfair how the non USWNT players are being tossed between the bench and playing mainly to cater to these national players but then again that is one of the many privileges of being a USWNT player. No wonder many of them wants to stay forever.

In Lavelle's defense though she joined Reign already midway through the season so. But still a shocking stat of only 1 goal converted from 30 attempts. Same with Marozsan, 0 goals and only 1 or 2 assists. Two great offensive midfielders with zero anything to show for it.

9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was under the impression that the only ones who are "really American by birth" were Native Americans. :)

jnielsen repped this.
  10. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    I can not see how that is helpfull in building team spirit but then again if your players are good enough you may not need it, or need it just among the core players. I am pretty sure our WNT (Sweden) could not operated well that way, but we are slightly lower on indvidual skill.

11. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Technically, they're immigrants as well.

It was fun to see the speed difference on the pitch in Macario, Fox, Smith and Pugh. Then along comes plodding Horan. heh. Also found it interesting that Tobin ended up in the midfield.

12. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The new/next Michelle Akers?

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hurting Lavelle too is different styles that Reign & USWNT might play. With only 800 minutes with the Reign, she probably got better chemistry with the national team.

Marozsan looks horrendously slow on both the Reign & German NT. She’s only good in Lyon, but that’s cuz outside of PSG there’s no competition in the 12 team French league.

this worries me about Macario(who’s also with Lyon); playing in an rather weak league where you only play on one half of the field(the opponents side) will hinder her development

Klingo3034 repped this.
  14. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Giving the thumbs-up for the discussion, but...
    Kim Little deserved that MVP. Sure, coming through on pressure PKs, like Rapinoe does, was important, but Little was an incredible midfield maestro to watch. In the regular season, the only other player who could've deserved the MVP was her teammate, Jess Fishlock.

What exactly happened with Little's career after that, I don't know, but some people still speak glowingly of her play with Arsenal today. However, she's had a couple injuries (someone broke her leg in a horror tackle and she might've had an ACL?). With Scotland, she had a much weaker team around her, although in the last couple years a couple dynamic young players have emerged in Erin Cuthbert and Claire Emslie, and Caroline Weir has become a formidable midfield player herself.

We could all see just how good Soyun Ji is in the last couple friendlies against South Korea, but does it result in anything "real special" for South Korea? No, she simply doesn't have enough players of high caliber around her.

You make good points about the NWSL often being less interesting when the US team players return and start hogging the playing time.

But I will simply not allow Kim Little to be belittled (tee-hee!)

West Ender repped this.
  15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comments about the national team players coming and going as they please with their NWSL teams, stated in ways that bunch them all together, are either lazy, ignorant, or malevolent. The Thorns players on the WNT go when they are called up and not otherwise. They always are there for the Thorns when not called up. (In fact, Dunn declined the most recent call up, but I expect will be there for the Thorns this weekend.) Come on, spend a little time and effort and be more precise with your comments. Do better!

jnielsen, West Ender and taosjohn repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kim Little got an ACL right when she went back to play for Arsenal, her stats so far per season been 3,8,5,5(as compared to an high of 18 with Seattle). This new season already up to 4, but that’s probably cuz of Arsenal’s phenom recruiting this year which on paper, now looks like the 2nd best team in Europe.
    NT been poor for her; Scotland failed to qualify for next year’s Euro’s. Made ii into the 2019 WC, but ended in last place in their group, and then failed to impress as well twice with Great Britain, both times eliminated by the quarters.
    Her buddy Fishlock done worse; didn’t get picked for the Great Britain squads. Her Wales NT gone nowhere. Her Reading team of last year ended in WSL mid tier

Pinoe has hinted of retiring, but nothing definite. Vlatko seems to be something out of an Kate Perry song(he’s hot n his cold). I mean got to impressed with the 6-0 dismantling of #18th ranked, Korea(but then what happened in the first game?). There’s word that at least for January camp newbies like Balcar, Rodman & Sanchez will be invited(but then camp doesn’t necessarily mean playing time vs whatever tomato cans Vlatko sets us up with)

sitruc and kolabear repped this.
  17. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I dont see that 3 working long term.

18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Kim Little usual was handed the NWSL mvp trophy even though most her goals came from PK’s(and she proved to be nothing real special for either Arsenal or the Scottish NT

Little? Nothing real special? FWIW, Heath says Little is the best player she has evr played with

jnielsen and kolabear repped this.
  19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Little is not an attacking player @ Arsenal. Looking at International soccer as the measure of a player without looking at relative strength is a little lazy. A bit like comparing the goal outputs of players who play very different roles now. A measure of littles skill has been her ability to play deeper as her career has advanced while still impacting consistently the game at a high level.

jnielsen and kolabear repped this.
  20. WoSoFan

WoSoFan Member

Dec 23, 2017
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Little was great in the NWSL(twice mvp), but since joining 4 years ago, Arsenal's co-eficient ranking is only at #14
    Women's club coefficients | UEFA Coefficients | UEFA.com
    they've severly under accomplished, especially since:

one of top 5 highest budgets in Europe(near $6 mill)

bought arguably the best player in the world; Miedema alongside a bevy of top internationals & domestic players.

raided the poorer paid but stronger-for-development, Bundesliga for an near dozen players

Kolabear@ is there any current Euro club rankings on the web? as based on rosters, Arsenal should really be at #2

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #172 MRAD12, Oct 28, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    OK. Julie Ertz has not been seen anywhere near Chicago since the Olympics at least not to the CRS fans I've talked to. I know she is still healing but so is Naeher and Neaher is seen all the time on the bench or coming out on the field after the game is over on crutches. Ertz hasn't posted anything in quite a while related to the Red Stars, none that I have seen.
    Some of us Red Stars fans are confused. What's going on? I know Rory has said that he thinks we probably won't see Naeher or Ertz in Red Stars uniform for the rest of the season, but she has been injured before and been on the bench supporting her CRS teammates.

She was seen on TV the other day with the USWNT though.

What's going on with Julie Ertz when it comes to the Chicago Red Stars?

23. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    No they shouldn't. Im sure im missing a few teams, but Lyon, PSG,Bayern,Chelsea,Barcelona are all as good or better. But ignoring that, what does that have to do with Kim Little scoring goals?

24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
  25. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I can only venture a guess. Ertz's husband just switched teams, could be moving involved. Setting up yet another household someplace else. Also, I'm guessing with the Woman's World Cup not that far off, a complete and total recovery from injury is warranted. She may need to be close to a particular rehab facility?

While Andi Sullivan played great, she isn't Ertz. I would take Andi over Horan in the holding midfield role any day and twice on Sundays. I am biased though, Horan is my least favorite midfielder due to her plodding slow play. Yea, she has a knack for once getting the ball keeping control, can pass well, and can finish well, it is just her slow pace.