PBP: USWNT vs Colombia, June 2022

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jun 10, 2022.

1. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Seems like an obvious thing to explore; but it is my impression that she is more confident on the wing-- likes to make those long runs out of the defensive end...

And, of course, it is quite possible to try these things out in practice. There may well already be plenty of reason to think it is not a good idea... or a good one.

NCChiFan repped this.
  2. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    K Mewis is very good at them too. Pugh was not good at them at all against Columbia.

Rapinoe is excellent at them.

3. ytrs

ytrs Member+

Jan 24, 2018
    Rodman has been a winger her entire life through youth soccer. So it would be an adjustment for her.

4. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Well, shoot. Way to dash my hopes and dreams!

ytrs repped this.
  5. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Wonder what would happen if we include the Twin Towers into the mix at the same time with Rose alvelle.

6. lisab

lisab Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Orlando
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm an Orlando Pride season ticket holder. Kornieck's Dad would attend the games wearing her Bundesliga jersey. I believe she went over to Germany during the covid fiasco where the Pride couldn't play at the Challenge Cup. She definitely reads the game well and is just getting better and better. I look forward to seeing her continued growth on the national team.

7. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had an interesting viewpoint for this set piece. Taylor’s starting position, Megan and my seat behind Megan were in a straight line. 7 seconds before the kick, Taylor toed the top of the 18 yard box and glanced back at Megan with wide eyes as if to say………everyone around me is 7 inches shorter…..please please please cross it to me. The rest is Histeaux.

Under the tutelage of McSkillz, Ashley Sanchez has become a magician with the ball at her feet.

McSkillz, Bob Lamm, Klingo3034 and 2 others repped this.
  8. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    That's awesome!

Bob Lamm repped this.
  9. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Good things started happening immediately after Sanchez came in. She knows how to break down a bunker.

McSkillz, jackdoggy and Klingo3034 repped this.
  10. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I credit some of it to Morgan coming in as well. Her movement off the ball was stretching the defense more than Hatch in the first half.

ytrs repped this.
  11. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inside the Lines video from practice in Colorado. Looks like they did the beep test upon arrival (I would guess they did it as a basic ongoing assessment, not as a "push yourself to exhaustion/get a PR" test):

jackdoggy repped this.
  12. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #87 lil_one, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    From the pre-match press conference, there's going to be rotation in the next game's lineup. Don't expect to see Sullivan or O'Hara in the starting lineup:

He also said that Horan will not play a full game, and that one of the three players not going to Mexico (Coffey, Howell, and Pickett) will be starting. With Sullivan sitting, I'm guessing it's Howell or Coffey.

Huerta was also featured in the pre-match press conference, so it's a safe bet that she's starting instead of O'Hara. Unfortunately, the press conference videos haven't been uploaded to YouTube yet.

jnielsen, McSkillz, jackdoggy and 3 others repped this.
  13. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    #88 Smallchief, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    In the second Colombian match, I want to see Sanchez, Hatch, and Rodman on the field at the same time for at least one half. I don't think it was Hatch's fault that her outing in the first Colombian match was so inconsequential.

I want to see center backs Girma and Cook for the full 90. Not that they'll have much to do -- but who knows? I want to see Huerta for the full match at right back -- and with instructions to stay out wide. The U.S. spent too much time in the first match trying to crack the Colombian middle. Balance with a wide game.

I don't want to see Andy Sullivan at defensive mid. We have to develop an alternative to injury-prone Sullivan. Put Coffey in at defensive mid for at least one half and maybe K. Mewis for the other half if she is indeed a candidate for the job of the 6.

Likewise, I don't want to see much if any of injury-prone Lavelle. Put K. Mewis or Korniek in for her.

McSkillz, NCChiFan and Klingo3034 repped this.
  14. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    Without Rose, this team could collapse.

Smallchief repped this.
  15. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Possibly true. Let's test the premise.

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  16. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    To me, Rose and Sanchez have the similar game. Both can dribble down a defense, but I think Sanchez has the better, shifty dribble while Rose is a better long passer as evidenced by her long pass, two assists, last game. Up the middle, btw.

It was also pointed out by former USWNT player and current analyst is that Sanchez was helped by the insertion of Morgan who commanded double teams in front of Sanchez thereby opening up more room for her to work. Something Hatch wasn't exactly doing in that first game. Talk was that Hatch was out wider than Morgan and drifting up top further allowing Colombia's 5 man back to clog the 18 area. Now I didn't come up with this analysis, I'm just giving the breakdown I heard the former USWNT defender. For what it is worth.

17. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations to Taylor on her first CAP and Goal - a special evening indeed.
    69652B42-B798-404B-8820-DB4C90EC66F2.jpeg

What enhanced the moment was the extended crowd ovation after the Goal that seemed to go on and on. So much so after the subsequent Kickoff, the PA announcer had to shout the Goal Announcement over the sustained crowd noise.

Taylor’s reaction was Priceless. The combination of Holy Moly I just scored a Goal for The Only Team That Matters + her uncontrolled ear-to-ear grin………….the same grin I have every MatchDay - like today.:):):):)

jnielsen, Bob Lamm, taosjohn and 2 others repped this.
  18. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    ashley has always been a magician with the ball at her feet. she was mesmerizing defenses and scoring multiple goals per game during her u17 days even before she set foot on campus.

i posted my doubts re her speed/quickness/strength in stepping up to the pros. still have some, but she's done brilliantly so far.

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Game on.

jnielsen repped this.
  20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    All US again early. Much better start from the US, but they still need to take the shots that are there. The press has been effective.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That didn't look clumsy to me. That was a foul and penalty. The ball would have been unplayable though so I'm fine with the no call.

ytrs repped this.
  22. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would we have scored on the PK anyway? :unsure:

I guess we do have Rapinoe and Morgan on the field to take it though.

blissett repped this.
  23. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Deflection, but the US is on the scoreboard

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That may have been a full on headed own goal. Nice. Sorry Huerta.

25. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never mind, we don't need a PK. Goal from Huerta (deflection)!

EDIT: Never mind, definitely an own goal. Huerta was crossing.