PBP: USWNT vs Colombia, June 2022

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by lil_one, Jun 10, 2022.

1. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realized we didn't have a match thread yet for the Colombia games.

The USWNT will face Colombia twice in the final prep matches before WCQ at the CONCACAF W Championship.

First up is a match on June 25 at Dick’s Sporting Goods Park in Commerce City, Colorado, at 5:30 p.m. MT. It will be televised on FS1 and ViX.

They'll face Colombia again on June 28 at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah, at 8 p.m. MT. That game will be televised on ESPN and ViX.

The roster should be announced soon.

jnielsen, taosjohn, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  2. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roster dropping tomorrow, and it'll be the roster both for these friendlies and WCQ:

ytrs repped this.
  3. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want to go on record and get ahead of the crowd:
    • The Roster is too old.
    • The Roster is too young.
    • What is Vlatko thinking.
    • FIRE VLATKO.

4. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    You are ahead of the crowd. But don't worry about being lonely: others will surely follow. Indeed, even if the USWNT wins the 2023 World Cup, others will subsequently call for Vlatko to be fired. Aren't sports fans wonderful? :)

5. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roster for Colombia matches and CONCACAF W Championship:

GOALKEEPERS (3): Aubrey Kingsbury (Washington Spirit; 1), Casey Murphy (North Carolina Courage; 4), Alyssa Naeher (Chicago Red Stars; 80)

DEFENDERS (7): Alana Cook (OL Reign; 9/0), Emily Fox (Racing Louisville FC; 13/0), Naomi Girma (San Diego Wave FC; 1/0), Sofia Huerta (OL Reign; 12/0), Kelley O’Hara (Washington Spirit; 152/2), Becky Sauerbrunn (Portland Thorns FC; 202/0), Emily Sonnett (Washington Spirit; 65/0)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Lindsey Horan (Olympique Lyon, FRA; 109/25), Taylor Kornieck (San Diego Wave FC; 0/0), Rose Lavelle (OL Reign; 71/20), Kristie Mewis (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 38/5), Ashley Sanchez (Washington Spirit; 7/2), Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit; 27/3)

FORWARDS (7): Ashley Hatch (Washington Spirit; 8/4), Alex Morgan (San Diego Wave FC; 190/115), Mallory Pugh (Chicago Red Stars; 72/23), Midge Purce (NJ/NY Gotham FC; 14/3), Megan Rapinoe (OL Reign; 187/62), Trinity Rodman (Washington Spirit; 3/1), Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns FC; 15/4)

Additional players for Colombia matches:
    DEFENDERS (1): Carson Pickett (North Carolina Courage; 0/0)
    MIDFIELDERS (2): Sam Coffey (Portland Thorns FC; 0/0), Jaelin Howell (Racing Louisville: 5/1)

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...iendlies-and-world-cup-and-olympic-qualifying

jnielsen repped this.
  6. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Who else plays LB besides Emily Fox? I guess O'Hara or Sonnet could in a pinch. This will definitely be the next generation in both defense and midfield. I wonder if Murphy will beat out Naeher?

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Girma could play left back. Remembering from her Stanford days, it seems like she could get up and down the field pretty well.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  8. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Looking forward to seeing the next generation play!
    Lineups, anyone?

9. Bob Lamm

Bob Lamm Member

Mar 7, 2016
    New York City
    I hope I'm allowed to say this here. If a moderator feels that this short statement should be deleted, that's fine.

A post was made in this thread that included a bigoted slur. I quoted and challenged that post. A moderator has informed me that the original awful post has been deleted. And that my "excellent" post was deleted because it quoted the slur.

I fully respect and support the moderator's decisions.

mingyung, ytrs, McSkillz and 1 other person repped this.
  10. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Crap... I missed it... oooh, was it me?

11. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    At this point, I'm just dying to see them play!

jnielsen, jackdoggy and ytrs repped this.
  12. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rut Row.....sounds like I may need to dial back the use of the term "Canathug". Although that term is frequently used in rulings issued by the International Court of Justice.

13. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    denv.jpg
    Heading back to the Mile High City in the State that gave us - - -
    • Lindsey … aaaaaaaaand
    • Mal … aaaaaaaaand
    • Sophia … aaaaaaaaand
    • Jaelin
    I have a feeling that the Colorado Ladies are going to run wild tomorrow. I ask that you please fasten your seatbelts, place your seat and tray tables in their upright positions and discard any and all negative psychological baggage before the Match and just enjoy the ride.

Mid 60’s with a 50% chance of rain tomorrow at Kickoff. Love this DEN-SLC Mountain swing because you can see the Rockies from both Stadiums.

The journey with this Team has been, is now and forevermore shall be..............

GLORIOUS
    4-star-.png

NCChiFan and jnielsen repped this.
  14. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pre-match press conference videos:

Rapinoe was a late addition to the press conference, and it was because she had something to say. The first 9-10 minutes are her statement on the overturning of Roe v Wade.

15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    noticing yesterday’s England vs Netherlands match, that for possibly first time VAR was used in an women’s friendly, Hopefully we’ll step up & do the same tonigh!

McSkillz, jjmack and Klingo3034 repped this.
  16. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  17. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Strong pass, but I'm shocked Pugh missed that. She didn't need to use the right.

McSkillz and Klingo3034 repped this.
  18. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    36 min in. Have the announcers gone 2 sentences without mentioning Cat's name... jeeze.

cpthomas repped this.
  19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Penal before half.

It's a soft call.

20. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Not really soft as much as the player was clumsy after the defensive play.

Horan saved easily and the rebound nowhere near goal by Smith.

21. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Scoreless at half.

LIZZIE repped this.
  22. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I thought it was a good call, bad, weak, late attempt by the defender to get at a tackle.

23. Smallchief

Smallchief Member+

Oct 27, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    That may be the worst half of soccer I've ever seen the U.S. play. I put most of the blame on Smith and Pugh who have missed several easy chances to at least put the ball on frame. Horan's penalty kick was pretty pathetic also.

To give Colombia its due, it's playing tough -- and the U.S. is having a hard time overcoming the 5 back they're playing.

McSkillz and blissett repped this.
  24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Sanchez hits the bar.

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    US finally on the scoreboard. Smith gets it.

McSkillz and Klingo3034 repped this.